STAN - The Verdict

All things Rugby
Ogre

Re: STAN - The Verdict

Post by Ogre »

Do I have to connect my huge 85 inch TV to the web to view this? or can I log into the interwebs on a laptop to view the games?
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

Ogre wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:41 pm Do I have to connect my huge 85 inch TV to the web to view this? or can I log into the interwebs on a laptop to view the games?
Aaaand my brain kicks in to say of course not. Many apologies to the tech savy on the bored.
Knoath

Post by Knoath »

Well, finally dumped kayo, got Stan, see how it goes
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Limited Rugby available to be watched in Australian Pubs is not a good outcome for fans, the game or Stan. I would have thought Stan would have organised this before the season started, especially as watching matches in the Pub is a big part of Rugby culture here in Oz.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 1614165985
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Ali's Choice wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:09 pm Limited Rugby available to be watched in Australian Pubs is not a good outcome for fans, the game or Stan. I would have thought Stan would have organised this before the season started, especially as watching matches in the Pub is a big part of Rugby culture here in Oz.

It was organised... as per the article:
The Herald revealed last week a deal between Stan Sport and Sky Channel was pulled on the eve of Friday’s Super Rugby AU season openers after a Tabcorp senior executive learnt Sky Channel had reached an agreement without the consent of its parent company.
Unfortunately "Tabcorp Senior Executive" Peter V'Landys, nuked the deal...

Hopefully Stan will have it sorted by round 3:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/stan-sport ... 574gt.html
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

I've been tempted to write a complaint to ASIC, a clear conflict of interest by Vlandys
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Zakar wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:32 pm I've been tempted to write a complaint to ASIC, a clear conflict of interest by Vlandys
Only in Oz could a charlatan like him have so much influence

:blush:
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:44 am
Zakar wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:32 pm I've been tempted to write a complaint to ASIC, a clear conflict of interest by Vlandys
Only in Oz could a charlatan like him have so much influence

:blush:
Ahem ... the USA wants a word with you.
Salient

Post by Salient »

Knoath wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:20 am Well, finally dumped kayo, got Stan, see how it goes
Dude you got a cost on that?

From what I can see the sports channel is an add on to the regular offering, ergo Stan is maxing their income on this one.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Salient wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:18 am
Knoath wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:20 am Well, finally dumped kayo, got Stan, see how it goes

From what I can see the sports channel is an add on to the regular offering, ergo Stan is maxing their income on this one.
Sport is $10 on top of normal Stan, so:

$20 for Stan in SD, but rugby in HD.

$24ish for Stan in HD and rugby in HD.

$29 for Stan in 4K and rugby in HD/4K depending on broadcast.
Salient

Post by Salient »

UncleFB wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:42 am

Thanks dude, am assuming those are monthly costs.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Salient wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:43 am
UncleFB wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:42 am

Thanks dude, am assuming those are monthly costs.
Yup.

I have the $29 as it gives you more devices and I share streaming platforms with friends and vice versa.
BBB

Post by BBB »

434pm aedt and the Highlanders v Crusaders coverage still hasn’t started.
Taranaki Snapper

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

just finished set-up in time for this game.
So far, so good...
shanky

Post by shanky »

So, who is broadcasting the SuperNZ. Is it still Sky?

Edit: just saw Sky on the pitch. Doh!
shanky

Post by shanky »

In that case, how much are Stan paying sky to re-broadcast?

Anyone know?
shanky

Post by shanky »

By the way, how good a host is Nick McCardle.

Pure class, smooth like butter.

Welcome back, Sir Nick.
trapper

Post by trapper »

Really liked that on field interview with Matt To’omua, this is good stuff.
shanky

Post by shanky »

trapper wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:22 am Really liked that on field interview with Matt To’omua, this is good stuff.
Yeah. That was nice. :thumbup:
shanky

Post by shanky »

Dave Wessells has got his night club shirt on. Ready for later. :lol:
TEDS

Post by TEDS »

It's f**ked. There's no option to jump back into a replay at the point you left. Basic shit people.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Funny how people's perspectives can be so diametrically opposed.

Nine / Stan to me are making much more of investment in our game than Foxtel, who swept it into a dark corner of the nation's games room.
shanky

Post by shanky »

jdogscoop wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:51 pm Funny how people's perspectives can be so diametrically opposed.

Nine / Stan to me are making much more of investment in our game than Foxtel, who swept it into a dark corner of the nation's games room.
:thumbup:
les@mooloolaba

Post by les@mooloolaba »

Picture quality is not as good as I had hoped and I sure do miss the ability to replay or slo-mo like I did on Fox.

Just going to have to put up with it. :?

Not convinced
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

So because no-one else in my family loves Rugby, I watch most of my Rugby in our spare room, on a large Samsung TV that was purchased in Christmas 2016. It's a great TV, or at least I thought it was. Apparently it isn't compatible with streaming live games on Stan, only the replays. If I want to use this room for Rugby watching I need to buy a newer TV. Not very happy about that. Although my 15 year old son has already claimed the TV for his room for playing on his consoles.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Ali's Choice wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:09 pm Limited Rugby available to be watched in Australian Pubs is not a good outcome for fans, the game or Stan. I would have thought Stan would have organised this before the season started, especially as watching matches in the Pub is a big part of Rugby culture here in Oz.

Talking to a mate in Oz who said exactly same thing, as he said often we would be somewhere and you could ask pub to put rugby on one of the tvs, and every now and then a few would gather to watch game.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

les@mooloolaba wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:48 pm Picture quality is not as good as I had hoped and I sure do miss the ability to replay or slo-mo like I did on Fox.

Not convinced
My issue, aside from needing to buy a new TV, is that once a game has started you cannot watch it from the beginning until it is finished and then you can stream it. In some ways the recording option on Foxtel was much better than the streaming/library option with Stan.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:27 pm So because no-one else in my family loves Rugby, I watch most of my Rugby in our spare room, on a large Samsung TV that was purchased in Christmas 2016. It's a great TV, or at least I thought it was. Apparently it isn't compatible with streaming live games on Stan, only the replays. If I want to use this room for Rugby watching I need to buy a newer TV. Not very happy about that. Although my 15 year old son has already claimed the TV for his room for playing on his consoles.
$700 46" LG TV and an HDMI cord for the laptop.

Sorted.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

jdogscoop wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:44 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:27 pm So because no-one else in my family loves Rugby, I watch most of my Rugby in our spare room, on a large Samsung TV that was purchased in Christmas 2016. It's a great TV, or at least I thought it was. Apparently it isn't compatible with streaming live games on Stan, only the replays. If I want to use this room for Rugby watching I need to buy a newer TV. Not very happy about that. Although my 15 year old son has already claimed the TV for his room for playing on his consoles.

Sorted.
It's more the principle of having to do it rather than the cost. It's a bit of a design fault when a good quality, four year old TV cannot access the full functionality of a streaming service. The upside is my wife has said I can watch the Rugby on the lounge TV until I get the spare room TV sorted :thumbup:
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:49 pm

Sorted.
It's more the principle of having to do it rather than the cost. It's a bit of a design fault when a good quality, four year old TV cannot access the full functionality of a streaming service. The upside is my wife has said I can watch the Rugby on the lounge TV until I get the spare room TV sorted :thumbup:
:lol:
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:49 pm

Sorted.
The dev that would go into an app that works on older TVS would push the base cost up for all of us.

I reckon an Apple TV is your best bet at roughly $150 and you get 12 months of Apple TV+ free.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

les@mooloolaba wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:48 pm Picture quality is not as good as I had hoped and I sure do miss the ability to replay or slo-mo like I did on Fox.

Not convinced
The picture quality is much better than what Kayo provides ...
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

UncleFB wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:40 am The dev that would go into an app that works on older TVS would push the base cost up for all of us.

I reckon an Apple TV is your best bet at roughly $150 and you get 12 months of Apple TV+ free.
I get that, but this isn't an ancient model we're talking about here. It's a four year old Samsung TV.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

:lol: Welcome to the wonderful world of teenage sons
shanky

Post by shanky »

Get a Foxtel Go box from Kogan (they’re $49)

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/foxtel-now ... gIuMfD_BwE

Then you can stream Stan, Foxtel, AppleTV, Amazon Prime all of it

You don’t need a Foxtel subscription but you might as well, so you can keep watching Winty.

Plugs in with an HDMI. Took me 10 mins to set up on an ‘old’ (2015) TV
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

shanky wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:24 am
Get a Foxtel Go box from Kogan (they’re $79 I think)

Then you can stream Stan, Foxtel, AppleTV, Amazon Prime all of it

You don’t need a Foxtel subscription but you light as well, so you can keep watching Winty.

Plugs in with an HDMi
Nice tip :thumbup:
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

The Apple TV is the better tip, IMHO.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

UncleFB wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:41 am

Not convinced
The picture quality is much better than what Kayo provides ...
:nod:

And you know what used to give me the downright shits about Kayo - being unable to start/stop play using the spacebar.

The use of the spacebar for that purpose is pretty much a fundamental application on every other media platform/software, except for f**king Kayo.
Last edited by Slim 293 on Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Failure as a parent
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

CrazyIslander wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:43 am
Failure as a parent
Oh I agree. Just knowing that I will never be able to tag-team troll online Rugby forums with my teenage son fills me with immense sadness. I had dreams of showing him the trolling ropes, of victimising nothing-posters together for fun, and then one day passing on my dual forum MVP certificates to him as family heirlooms. Those certificates would have been his birth-right. That's not going to happen now and I'll carry that disappointment with me to the grave.