STAN - The Verdict

All things Rugby
Wignu

Re: STAN - The Verdict

Post by Wignu »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:53 am
CrazyIslander wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:43 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:27 pm So because no-one else in my family loves Rugby, I watch most of my Rugby in our spare room, on a large Samsung TV that was purchased in Christmas 2016. It's a great TV, or at least I thought it was. Apparently it isn't compatible with streaming live games on Stan, only the replays. If I want to use this room for Rugby watching I need to buy a newer TV. Not very happy about that. Although my 15 year old son has already claimed the TV for his room for playing on his consoles.
Failure as a parent
Oh I agree. Just knowing that I will never be able to tag-team troll online Rugby forums with my teenage son fills me with immense sadness. I had dreams of showing him the trolling ropes, of victimising nothing-posters together for fun, and then one day passing on my dual forum MVP certificates to him as family heirlooms. Those certificates would have been his birth-right. That's not going to happen now and I'll carry that disappointment with me to the grave.
Top post :lol: :lol: ... hey wait, I'm one of those nothing-posters :shock:
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:27 pm So because no-one else in my family loves Rugby, I watch most of my Rugby in our spare room, on a large Samsung TV that was purchased in Christmas 2016. It's a great TV, or at least I thought it was. Apparently it isn't compatible with streaming live games on Stan, only the replays. If I want to use this room for Rugby watching I need to buy a newer TV. Not very happy about that. Although my 15 year old son has already claimed the TV for his room for playing on his consoles.
Failure as a parent
Oh I agree. Just knowing that I will never be able to tag-team troll online Rugby forums with my teenage son fills me with immense sadness. I had dreams of showing him the trolling ropes, of victimising nothing-posters together for fun, and then one day passing on my dual forum MVP certificates to him as family heirlooms. Those certificates would have been his birth-right. That's not going to happen now and I'll carry that disappointment with me to the grave.
I would've thought it would've been nice to share that passion in your life with your kids. But I see it was out of love of your kids that you didn't want them to do what you did. I mean pretending to be in CHCH when you're in fvcking Mt Isa. Ffs
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

CrazyIslander wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:38 am I would've thought it would've been nice to share that passion in your life with your kids. But I see it was out of love of your kids that you didn't want them to do what you did. I mean pretending to be in CHCH when you're in fvcking Mt Isa. Ffs
What's wrong with you, mate?
shanky

Post by shanky »

mr bungle wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:58 am The Apple TV is the better tip, IMHO.
Can you stream other things (e,g Stan) through the AppleTV box?

I decided to keep a rump of Foxtel (basic channels) and the menu etc on the foxtel live box is very friendly to navigate, which is why I went that way.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

shanky wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:06 am
mr bungle wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:58 am The Apple TV is the better tip, IMHO.
Can you stream other things (e,g Stan) through the AppleTV box?

Yep, I haven't owned one since one of the earlier models but it should have all the various streaming services - Stan, Netflix, Disney, Prime, Tenplay, SBS, NBA, and a whole bunch of stuff.
shanky

Post by shanky »

:thumbup:
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Yeah, should have most. Depends on the provider but Apple TV tends to get first wave of new streaming apps.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Just got on Stan tonight for the blues match. Same old same old.
trapper

Post by trapper »

Merhts, really good in the commentary box. Knows his shit. Working well with Turinui
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Drew Mitchell x(

Bring back Rod Kafer.

Harrison, on the other hand, is a good analyst.
Salient

Post by Salient »

Auckman wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:52 am Just got on Stan tonight for the blues match. Same old same old.
Would agree, enjoyed the coverage but was also enjoying on other streaming services previously.

Still canned Kayo due to lost of rugby so budget is pretty much still in place.
Matt Henjak

Post by Matt Henjak »

I do wonder how long Stan can maintain their hour long game previews. It's a lot of time to fill.
les@mooloolaba

Post by les@mooloolaba »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:31 pm
les@mooloolaba wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:48 pm Picture quality is not as good as I had hoped and I sure do miss the ability to replay or slo-mo like I did on Fox.

Just going to have to put up with it. :?

Not convinced
My issue, aside from needing to buy a new TV, is that once a game has started you cannot watch it from the beginning until it is finished and then you can stream it. In some ways the recording option on Foxtel was much better than the streaming/library option with Stan.
Agree, I can stream live, just cant go back and replay like i do with Fox. Not sure why iyt is pixellating because other streams on Netflix and Stan are OK most of the time.
les@mooloolaba

Post by les@mooloolaba »

Failure as a parent
Quote saved for later denial issues... :D
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Failure as a parent
:lol:
Taranaki Snapper

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

Just watching my 1st Suntory SunGoliaths' match, the state of the Suzuka pitch and park... :blush:
akann

Post by akann »

les@mooloolaba wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:53 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:31 pm
les@mooloolaba wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:48 pm Picture quality is not as good as I had hoped and I sure do miss the ability to replay or slo-mo like I did on Fox.

Just going to have to put up with it. :?

Not convinced
My issue, aside from needing to buy a new TV, is that once a game has started you cannot watch it from the beginning until it is finished and then you can stream it. In some ways the recording option on Foxtel was much better than the streaming/library option with Stan.
Agree, I can stream live, just cant go back and replay like i do with Fox. Not sure why iyt is pixellating because other streams on Netflix and Stan are OK most of the time.
I can do it on my device. Just click on the more info button next to the play button and it will give you the option of watching it from the start. Can confirm this works on live games.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

So SBW has joined Stan Sports' commentary team. He never struck me as someone who could forge a career as a commentator.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Trying to watch the bogan rugby on Kayo and can't get out of 480p. The Stan app kicks this garbage's arse.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:43 am So SBW has joined Stan Sports' commentary team. He never struck me as someone who could forge a career as a commentator.
I have to agree. Pitched in there with the affable Mehrts he comes across as a distant third to the Stan studio when it comes to chemistry.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Maybe take some tips from ch9 fav, Candice
just like ol times.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Got an email this morning that I've subscribed to Foxtel Now. Are Foxtel just subscribing people without their knowledge? I canned foxtel after RWC'19. Anyway I've trying to unsubscribe but I don't have the login details. The livechat consultants have been sending me links to password change that just takes me back to homepage. They've also been very slow in responding and sometimes just logout without telling me. Apparently they dont have customer service on call centres. Something is fishy here.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

CrazyIslander wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:09 am Got an email this morning that I've subscribed to Foxtel Now. Are Foxtel just subscribing people without their knowledge? I canned foxtel after RWC'19. Anyway I've trying to unsubscribe but I don't have the login details. The livechat consultants have been sending me links to password change that just takes me back to homepage. They've also been very slow in responding and sometimes just logout without telling me. Apparently they dont have customer service on call centres. Something is fishy here.
Give me your credit card details and I'll see what I can find out.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Thomas wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:52 am
CrazyIslander wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:09 am Got an email this morning that I've subscribed to Foxtel Now. Are Foxtel just subscribing people without their knowledge? I canned foxtel after RWC'19. Anyway I've trying to unsubscribe but I don't have the login details. The livechat consultants have been sending me links to password change that just takes me back to homepage. They've also been very slow in responding and sometimes just logout without telling me. Apparently they dont have customer service on call centres. Something is fishy here.
Give me your credit card details and I'll see what I can find out.
Funny thing I just got a new card and haven't used it, so they definitely won't be getting any money. I'm just worried about running up a bill with them. I'm guessing they're using my old card details.

Seriously, Telstra and Foxtel must've sacked loads of customer service workers. There's no centres, just livechat consultants probably answering 20+ enquiries simultaneously.