STAN - The Verdict

All things Rugby
grievous

STAN - The Verdict

Post by grievous »

Looked really good so far, Im disappointed there was no game tonight, time for a 6th side as Cheiks the new super pundit has called for. Would allow 3 games a weekend.
When Cheika was Wallabies boss, Australian Super Rugby teams could have been almost anywhere, from Brisbane to Buenos Aires, Pretoria to Perth. Sometimes Cheika would fly to New Zealand to watch a Super Rugby game from the stands.

He says a 12-week domestic competition, with five teams, is far more beneficial for a national coach who can see local players pitted against one another more often.

Every week is effectively a Wallabies audition, and Cheika says adding a sixth team wouldn’t be farfetched if a similar model is explored in the future.

“I’m very pro the Australian tournament and have been for many years,” Cheika said. “Our own competition gives us a bit more pride about the games we’re playing here. I think it’s great the Western Force are back in and playing. They did a really amazing job last year and I’m not just spinning it because I really think they came back in and they were competitive in all the games.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if there was another Australian team soon. I know we’re talking about going less, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there was another in years to come. Then you could have three games every week and that leads into a bigger tournament with the New Zealand teams. The world has gone a bit flatter, so everything is on the table.

“It’s a great way for the national coach to be able to see his competition players against each other week in, week out. It gives you a bit more control. It gives our lads a bit more swagger when they’re playing against each other.”
We all know the Adelaide Aardvaarks was only a matter of time in materialising.

Watched the first game at the pub last night, nice change to not ask the barman to sift through to channel 538 on Foxtel to find the rugby rather than the ad nauseam league channel.
Now its FTA and was on front and centre.
League seems to be having a fit though and doesn't like our early start unchallenged and with the same network as Mr Gamble Vlandys had a hissy..
Super Rugby blackout for pubs and clubs after Tabcorp tears up deal with Stan Sport
By Michael Chammas and Adam Pengilly
February 19, 2021 — 9.30pm

The majority of Super Rugby matches will not be aired in pubs and clubs around Australia after a deal between Stan Sport and Sky Channel was pulled on the eve of the first game of the season.

Sources with knowledge of negotiations told the Herald the deal was scuppered at the 11th hour after a Tabcorp senior executive learnt Sky Channel had reached an agreement without the consent of its parent company, Tabcorp.

Super Rugby returned on Friday night, but viewers will be limited due to a deal scuppered at the 11th hour.

Equally, Tabcorp officials were concerned that Racing NSW chief executive Peter V’landys, a key partner of the wagering giant, had not been consulted prior to the deal being brokered.

Industry sources say V’landys, who is also the chairman of the Australian Rugby League Commission, had not vetoed the deal. However, they say he was unhappy about Sky Channel’s agreement with Stan Sport as he believed it would have a negative impact on wagering.

A Tabcorp spokesperson said there had been an agreement in place with Stan Sport but that it was subject to internal approval and the company had decided not to proceed. Free-to-air matches on Nine will still be available at pubs and clubs.

The news comes just a week after V’landys complained to Nine Entertainment Co, the owner of Stan and the publisher of this masthead, about the lack of promotion for the upcoming NRL season in comparison to the rebranded Super Rugby competition, which started on Friday night. :lol: V’landys did not want to comment when contacted on Friday night.<cvnt>

Peter V’landys was not impressed after learning Sky almost had struck a deal with Stan.
Rugby Australia chairman Hamish McLennan told the Herald he was surprised by the reaction to the deal, which was torn up the night before the first game of the season, between the Reds and the Waratahs.

"I would have thought the more sport the better for all the punters," McLennan said. "It's all upside to me. I'm surprised that a resurgent rugby has created such a drama."<no youre not hes a cvnt>

Nine Entertainment Co remains optimistic of striking a deal to beam matches into pubs and clubs, despite the resistance from Tabcorp and Racing NSW.

"We’re really keen to get Stan Sports into pubs and clubs and we’re working on a deal," a Nine spokesperson said. "We hope to have that concluded soon. We’re still working on a deal. We’re disappointed it wasn’t completed for tonight’s game but we’re hopeful it will come to fruition soon."

The Reds and Waratahs match was played on Nine’s secondary channel, Gem, but the Force-Brumbies match late Friday night was shown on the recently launched Stan Sports service.

Sports and racing codes can have their vision beamed into pubs and clubs via satellite through one of three organisations: Foxtel, Sky Channel or Optus.

Foxtel had recently surrendered the rugby rights to Stan, and Optus has only limited service and venues throughout Australia, leaving Sky Channel as the most suitable alternative for Rugby Australia.

Australian Hotels Association chief executive Stephen Ferguson said he was surprised a deal had not been struck well before las night’s season-opening game.

“Since before Christmas and into the new year I’ve been in contact with Rugby Australia and advised them they hadn’t ensured that this key market and their long-standing supporters would be catered for,” Ferguson said.

"I'm not aware of any other major sport who would not have plans to get their vision to hundreds of thousands of eyeballs who have supported their product for their last 20 years."

Nine Entertainment Co signed a $100 million three-year deal with Rugby Australia in November, which included a two-year extension option for the broadcaster.
Despite Cvnt McCvntface Vlandys...is been really good so far IMHO, magazine show on Tuesday, bit of eye candy with the blonde, McCardle back, no Kearns, 10 bucks a month plus FTA game. :thumbup:
trapper

Re: STAN - The Verdict

Post by trapper »

I enjoyed it, the only thing that got on my nerves was Harrison calling the laws of the game, rules. Apart from that it was good, helped a lot by a cracking first up game.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

I thought it was really good too.

Nine haven't been stingy in promoting the fvck out of it, that's for sure.

I knew that it was the right decision when about halfway through the first half, my mate texted me to say "Is this a pre-season friendly or are they playing for points?".

He'd never subscribed to Foxtel but had tuned into 9 Gem. He wouldn't have been alone.
Last edited by jdogscoop on Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grievous

Post by grievous »

20 bucks Stan v Foxtel, what 50 or so now, was nearly 100 back in the not so long ago day.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Disney launch Star in a few days, and while it has repercussions for all the streaming services, Foxtel is f**king faaaaaaarked when their current programming contacts dry up... :thumbup:
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

It was great, so much better than foxtell :thumbup:
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Harrison's smooth tones would get me tuning in for slow motion re-runs of lasts night's Force - Brumbies match. Excellent.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Despite his notoriety, Harrison is an excellent commentator and analyst. Very smart

Plus, he gives a LOT back to grass roots rugby and is a witty and nice bloke as well.. :thumbup:
grievous

Post by grievous »

shanky wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:14 pm Despite his notoriety, Harrison is an excellent commentator and analyst. Very smart

Plus, he gives a LOT back to grass roots rugby and is a witty and nice bloke as well.. :thumbup:
Yeah, everyone has focussed on a white line or two in their time.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Everyone’s made a mistake or two in their time, yes.

Does that define them?
grievous

Post by grievous »

Anyone catch the TOP league today? Another game tomorrow.
Im watching...in my time Farktel...you hear me...rugby hasn't been bumped for some Texas big hatted hold em poker crap that would peel paint in boredom stakes.
grievous

Post by grievous »

shanky wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:18 pm Everyone’s made a mistake or two in their time, yes.

Does that define them?
it was said in jest officer :?
shanky

Post by shanky »

grievous wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:22 pm
shanky wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:18 pm Everyone’s made a mistake or two in their time, yes.

Does that define them?
No worries. I was half-joking too. :thumbup:
grievous

Post by grievous »

shanky wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:29 pm

Does that define them?
so STAN then....thought the digital playbook was pretty advanced too..even Cheiks could understand it.
shanky

Post by shanky »

grievous wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:34 pm
shanky wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:29 pm

Does that define them?
so STAN then....thought the digital playbook was pretty advanced too..even Cheiks could understand it.
Ha ha, yes

It was a bit laboured with Cheiks pointing out that the half back may (just may) be in the business of fooling the defence. :lol:

Having said that, I guess they’re looking to provide mass entertainment so I’ve literally got no problem with it
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Aside from his great service for the All Blacks I absolutely love Mehrts.

Such a dry sense of humour.
Morgan14

Post by Morgan14 »

I liked episode I, good energy and a little more insight. A few things they can tighten up, but a good start!
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

trapper wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:16 pm I enjoyed it, the only thing that got on my nerves was Harrison calling the laws of the game, rules. Apart from that it was good, helped a lot by a cracking first up game.
Corrupted by league? :shock:

Almost universally the RL commentariat refer to that game's statute book as the rules whereas RL: LOTG is the real title.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Ignoring the commentators for a second, the picture for the streams is way better than what Kayo served up.

Also, interesting that the live stream is better quality than the old games they have available which seem to be SD upscaled to HD rather than actual HD.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Enjoying watching a replay of Toyota Verblitz vs Toshiba on Stan. The Japanese League is entertaining with lots of familiar faces for SH fans. The standard is high but the defensive intensity is well below that of Super Rugby.
shanky

Post by shanky »

jdogscoop wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:47 pm Aside from his great service for the All Blacks I absolutely love Mehrts.

Just saw him in Bunnings

Subtle nod of acknowledgement.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

shanky wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:36 am
jdogscoop wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:47 pm Aside from his great service for the All Blacks I absolutely love Mehrts.

Just saw him in Bunnings

That was kind of him
shanky

Post by shanky »

:(
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:22 am Enjoying watching a replay of Toyota Verblitz vs Toshiba on Stan. The Japanese League is entertaining with lots of familiar faces for SH fans. The standard is high but the defensive intensity is well below that of Super Rugby.
I did the same, played with the pace but without the physicality of Soup.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Just saw him in Bunnings

Shoulda given him the Kiwi flick, bro.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Pleased the Stan coverage seems to be good, with most being positive.Has anyone found any pubs that have hooked up to Stan for those that enjoy watching games there? I know I not in Aus any longer, but was real pleased with how they seemed to want to handle the game.
Have to say only watched Reds/Tahs game on Friday, and no probs.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

shanky wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:38 am :(
:lol:
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Just saw him in Bunnings

Mehrts. Nod.

Shanky. Nod.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Dan54. wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:17 am Pleased the Stan coverage seems to be good, with most being positive.Has anyone found any pubs that have hooked up to Stan for those that enjoy watching games there? I know I not in Aus any longer, but was real pleased with how they seemed to want to handle the game.
Have to say only watched Reds/Tahs game on Friday, and no probs.
See one of my articles quoted above, it was front and centre on GEM in the pub I was in Friday but expect that to change when league, AFL comes back. Not sure if pubs will get STAN but I don't see why not for $20 a month but will be looking for more content re other sports I reckon.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Anyone watching the midweek show?

It’s cringeworthy. Hope it gets better, for all our sakes.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

shanky wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:07 am Anyone watching the midweek show?

It’s cringeworthy. Hope it gets better, for all our sakes.
I only just switched it on, but it seems fine to me. Not trying to be funny/humorous, which is always better, IMO. The brunette host is both attractive and knowledgeable.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Ooh. Kearney-cam looks good. He’s everywhere, the great man
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

shanky wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:11 am Ooh. Carney-cam looks good. He’s everywhere, the great man
What's with his accent? It's a weird mixture of Irish and something else.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:12 am
shanky wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:11 am Ooh. Carney-cam looks good. He’s everywhere, the great man
Posh Irish

It’s how I imagine Mullet speaks
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

shanky wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:13 am
Posh Irish
:lol: An oxymoron, surely?
shanky

Post by shanky »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:15 am
shanky wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:13 am
Posh Irish
:lol: An oxymoron, surely?
They’re everywhere mate. Blokes who made a fortune on the property market there.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Upon reflection, this is cringe worthy. The team are trying very hard, but everything seems forced and unnatural. In saying that, it's great to see a dedicated Australian Rugby chat show. Well done Stan and I hope this goes from strength to strength.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Agreed. Hope it goes from strength to strength also.
grievous

Post by grievous »

I miss Louise Ransome
Although I can see her on ABC news
Yeah drop the cute lines, although Campo was having none of it.
Would a thurs be a better night? Squads up to date.
Anyway first show and yes good to have something on.
Just dont go Footy show with live audiences and interviews in the mall.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

I thought the first Rugby Heaven show was a pretty solid hit out from the Stan team.

Plenty of variety and big names.

Campo could probably do with making his story-question-statements a bit more concise.