Gummy or Flake killing our sharks

All things Rugby
JamesJames

Gummy or Flake killing our sharks

Post by JamesJames »

Hey Aussies

Genuine plea here. Please spread the word to boycott gummy or flake fish and chips. Smooth hound shark here being over exploited for export to Oz and China. Seems to have had a huge impact on local ecosystem. Particularly Great Whites which have all but disappeared here. Orcas also killing our Great Whites. Thanks boets
The Optimist

Re: Gummy or Flake killing our sharks

Post by The Optimist »

:thumbup:
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I'll have a word to my local member.

Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Well this is not on if I have to eat that NZ Hoki shit that's popping up everywhere.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Bindi wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:33 am Well this is not on if I have to eat that NZ Hoki shit that's popping up everywhere.
Hoki is no good. Blue Cod is now over NZ$40 a kilo. So many other good fish Gurnard, Tarakihi, Trevally, Hapuku, Blue Warehou. We don't have anywhere near what the markets in Australia have, down south anyway. You seem to consume a huge amount and range of sea life.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

mr bungle wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:43 am
Bindi wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:33 am Well this is not on if I have to eat that NZ Hoki shit that's popping up everywhere.
Hoki is no good. Blue Cod is now over NZ$40 a kilo. So many other good fish Gurnard, Tarakihi, Trevally, Hapuku, Blue Warehou. We don't have anywhere near what the markets in Australia have, down south anyway. You seem to consume a huge amount and range of sea life.
Quite a few f&c shops now have hoki and nothing else. It's weird. This is in places like the Sunshine coast that have their own trawlers.

Mainly price too, I guess. Good stuff like snapper is expensive.
grievous

Post by grievous »

the old fish n chip shop is almost extinct these days.
Fishstick anyone?
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Bindi wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:12 am
Quite a few f&c shops now have hoki and nothing else. It's weird. This is in places like the Sunshine coast that have their own trawlers.

Snapper is delicious raw, but meh when cooked. Flathead is expensive. Deservedly so.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Clogs wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:54 am

Snapper is delicious raw, but meh when cooked. Flathead is expensive. Deservedly so.
love fresh Snapper dusted in flour and lightly fried
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:52 am
Clogs wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:54 am

love fresh Snapper dusted in flour and lightly fried
Yup, nothing better. I like mine drowned in lemon juice.

I always thought flat head was so so.
Salient

Post by Salient »

grievous wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:31 am the old fish n chip shop is almost extinct these days.
Fishstick anyone?
Are you a gay fish?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Harveys wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:17 pm

Snapper is my favourite fish. Fun to catch and delicious when fresh. Flathead can be easily overcooked which really ruins the flesh. Love a whole baked flathead on the coals of a fire.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Thomas wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:10 am

Snapper is my favourite fish. Fun to catch and delicious when fresh. Flathead can be easily overcooked which really ruins the flesh. Love a whole baked flathead on the coals of a fire.
Flathead grilled 'til the flesh is firm enough to break bits off but not yet plank-like is my favourite fish that's readily available locally. I'm also v. partial to blue-eye and sole but typically eat 'em when on hols down south.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Better than the Basa that dominates Sydney.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

MungoMan wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:26 am
Thomas wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:10 am

Flathead grilled 'til the flesh is firm enough to break bits off but not yet plank-like is my favourite fish that's readily available locally. I'm also v. partial to blue-eye and sole but typically eat 'em when on hols down south.
I very, very rarely buy fish. I'll either catch it myself or grab some off a mate who has been fishing. We had some mulloway the other day from a coworker which was a real treat. Wife cooked a spicy Thai coconut broth and it was gently cooked in that. Farken amazing.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

UncleFB wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:28 am

x(

That's disgusting. I keep forgetting how spoiled we are in QLD for fish. We still see shit like that pop up in shops but you can find good fish in most places. The further north you go, the better. I was in Bundaberg with my missus before Xmas and got some fish and chips. We couldn't choose between the red emporer, sweetlip or coral trout. And that was just at some shitty fish shop in Bargara.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Whiting is lovely

catching them off the beach in summer, after getting your own beach worms is even better.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Thomas wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:42 am

x(

That's disgusting. I keep forgetting how spoiled we are in QLD for fish. We still see shit like that pop up in shops but you can find good fish in most places. The further north you go, the better. I was in Bundaberg with my missus before Xmas and got some fish and chips. We couldn't choose between the red emporer, sweetlip or coral trout. And that was just at some shitty fish shop in Bargara.
I don't ever buy basa, I'll pay the extra in restaurants for decent fish. But I'd happily eat hoki as the basic fish if it was available.

Trevally is probably my favourite fish.
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

I'm partial to tarakihi. Haven't eaten it in 30 years :(
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

UncleFB wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:51 am

x(

I don't ever buy basa, I'll pay the extra in restaurants for decent fish. But I'd happily eat hoki as the basic fish if it was available.

Hoki is shite, to me anyway. Sounds like you have worse fish options on offer.

Basa sounds delightful.

Found a 10 year old article, available for $6kg at Countdowns up north.
However, opponents have attacked the environmental conditions in which basa are grown. They say the fish are farmed in waters polluted with sewage and agricultural chemical runoff and traces of other toxins.

Pursuit Fishing director Lisa Roach handed out posters to customers at Countdown Trafalgar Park informing them about the fish, which she said was farmed in the "toilet bowl of Asia".
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

mr bungle wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:26 pm
UncleFB wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:51 am

x(

Hoki is shite, to me anyway. Sounds like you have worse fish options on offer.

Basa sounds delightful.

Found a 10 year old article, available for $6kg at Countdowns up north.
However, opponents have attacked the environmental conditions in which basa are grown. They say the fish are farmed in waters polluted with sewage and agricultural chemical runoff and traces of other toxins.

Pursuit Fishing director Lisa Roach handed out posters to customers at Countdown Trafalgar Park informing them about the fish, which she said was farmed in the "toilet bowl of Asia".
I straight up like hoki, but I think if your options were basa and hoki you'd definitely take the hoki.