Brisbane 2032 Olympics

All things Rugby
User avatar
Bindi
Posts: 8059
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Plum

Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by Bindi »

Should be fun. Enjoyed the 2000 Sydney ones immensely, and hopefully Brisbane isn’t stupid enough to build a while elephant like Olympic Park or whatever it’s called.
Burke's Boot
Posts: 3637
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Newy

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by Burke's Boot »

Should be going to a thriving and bustling metropolis like Sydney or Melbourne. Will they knock down that stadium in the south i wonder which hosted the Commonwealth Games once and build a new one.
User avatar
Thomas
Posts: 17688
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA!

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by Thomas »

Burke's Boot wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:16 am Should be going to a thriving and bustling metropolis like Sydney or Melbourne. Will they knock down that stadium in the south i wonder which hosted the Commonwealth Games once and build a new one.
It's 1.2km from my house so that's a yes from me.

But this will never happen.
User avatar
kiwigreg369
Posts: 6181
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by kiwigreg369 »

They should send NSW their bill now.
User avatar
Zakar
Posts: 18676
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Haunting your dreams

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by Zakar »

Not sure if I were a contractor id do business with the qld government to build a stadium. They've just ripped up a 30million dollar invoice the nsw government sent based on a previous agreement.

We should send our sheriffs and take the story bridge for scrap.
User avatar
Kiwias
Posts: 42681
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by Kiwias »

Thomas wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:18 am
Burke's Boot wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:16 am Should be going to a thriving and bustling metropolis like Sydney or Melbourne. Will they knock down that stadium in the south i wonder which hosted the Commonwealth Games once and build a new one.
It's 1.2km from my house so that's a yes from me.

But this will never happen.
If Tokyo is cancelled as is looking increasingly likely, the word is that they will get the 2032 Games.
grievous
Posts: 13300
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Tahstown

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by grievous »

Much to learn from Sydney re stadium fiasco(s) but they already have good stadiums, use QE2 and get a transport line by rail/light rail out there.
Looking forward to watching the 10m platform street dancing
User avatar
Bindi
Posts: 8059
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Plum

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by Bindi »

Kiwias wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:04 am
Thomas wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:18 am
Burke's Boot wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:16 am Should be going to a thriving and bustling metropolis like Sydney or Melbourne. Will they knock down that stadium in the south i wonder which hosted the Commonwealth Games once and build a new one.
It's 1.2km from my house so that's a yes from me.

But this will never happen.
If Tokyo is cancelled as is looking increasingly likely, the word is that they will get the 2032 Games.
Brisbane was announced as the only preferred candidate today. Seems a little unlikely that Tokyo is in fact the real selection.
User avatar
Enzedder
Posts: 21420
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by Enzedder »

And will Noddy (formerly of this parish) be the big cheese?
User avatar
Bindi
Posts: 8059
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Plum

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by Bindi »

grievous wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:15 am Much to learn from Sydney re stadium fiasco(s) but they already have good stadiums, use QE2 and get a transport line by rail/light rail out there.
Looking forward to watching the 10m platform street dancing
They'll finally build a decent mid-size ground that the Reds and Roar can use (possibly a Perry Park update). It's something that's obviously missing and would be well used.
User avatar
mojo
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Brisvegas

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by mojo »

Bindi wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:39 am
grievous wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:15 am Much to learn from Sydney re stadium fiasco(s) but they already have good stadiums, use QE2 and get a transport line by rail/light rail out there.
Looking forward to watching the 10m platform street dancing
They'll finally build a decent mid-size ground that the Reds and Roar can use (possibly a Perry Park update). It's something that's obviously missing and would be well used.
Aren't they supposed to be updating Ballymore for the Reds?
User avatar
MungoMan
Posts: 14522
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Coalfalls

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by MungoMan »

mojo wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:44 am
Bindi wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:39 am
grievous wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:15 am Much to learn from Sydney re stadium fiasco(s) but they already have good stadiums, use QE2 and get a transport line by rail/light rail out there.
Looking forward to watching the 10m platform street dancing
They'll finally build a decent mid-size ground that the Reds and Roar can use (possibly a Perry Park update). It's something that's obviously missing and would be well used.
Aren't they supposed to be updating Ballymore for the Reds?
Allegedly. But bugger-all change in seating capacity is being mooted, so I believe.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 33545
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by Ali's Choice »

grievous wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:15 am Much to learn from Sydney re stadium fiasco(s) but they already have good stadiums, use QE2 and get a transport line by rail/light rail out there.
Looking forward to watching the 10m platform street dancing
They'll use the Gold Coast's stadiums too, surely? So Matricon Stadium and CBus Super Stadium come into play.
User avatar
MungoMan
Posts: 14522
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Coalfalls

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by MungoMan »

Bindi wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:39 am
grievous wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:15 am Much to learn from Sydney re stadium fiasco(s) but they already have good stadiums, use QE2 and get a transport line by rail/light rail out there.
Looking forward to watching the 10m platform street dancing
They'll finally build a decent mid-size ground that the Reds and Roar can use (possibly a Perry Park update). It's something that's obviously missing and would be well used.
I don’t recall visiting Perry Park since the early 70s when I and assorted other drunks were showered in batshit (not a metaphor) while watching an Australia - Argentina wendyball game.
User avatar
Kiwias
Posts: 42681
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by Kiwias »

Bindi wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:17 am
Kiwias wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:04 am
Thomas wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:18 am
Burke's Boot wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:16 am Should be going to a thriving and bustling metropolis like Sydney or Melbourne. Will they knock down that stadium in the south i wonder which hosted the Commonwealth Games once and build a new one.
It's 1.2km from my house so that's a yes from me.

But this will never happen.
If Tokyo is cancelled as is looking increasingly likely, the word is that they will get the 2032 Games.
Brisbane was announced as the only preferred candidate today. Seems a little unlikely that Tokyo is in fact the real selection.
Brisbane's candidacy is premised on the Tokyo Games going ahead but if they don't, there is rumour that Tokyo will get the next undecided Games (2032) will be given to Tokyo as a sweetener.
User avatar
Bindi
Posts: 8059
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Plum

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by Bindi »

mojo wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:44 am
Bindi wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:39 am
grievous wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:15 am Much to learn from Sydney re stadium fiasco(s) but they already have good stadiums, use QE2 and get a transport line by rail/light rail out there.
Looking forward to watching the 10m platform street dancing
They'll finally build a decent mid-size ground that the Reds and Roar can use (possibly a Perry Park update). It's something that's obviously missing and would be well used.
Aren't they supposed to be updating Ballymore for the Reds?
No chance. No public transport and barely any parking.
grievous
Posts: 13300
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Tahstown

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by grievous »

Bindi wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:39 am
grievous wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:15 am Much to learn from Sydney re stadium fiasco(s) but they already have good stadiums, use QE2 and get a transport line by rail/light rail out there.
Looking forward to watching the 10m platform street dancing
They'll finally build a decent mid-size ground that the Reds and Roar can use (possibly a Perry Park update). It's something that's obviously missing and would be well used.
Is Perry pk and surrounds able to be adequately developed? Close to city but I was so underwhelmed when I went past last time in Brisbane, unless you mean a 15k size ground with not all the bells and whistles.
User avatar
Bindi
Posts: 8059
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Plum

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by Bindi »

grievous wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:33 am
Bindi wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:39 am
grievous wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:15 am Much to learn from Sydney re stadium fiasco(s) but they already have good stadiums, use QE2 and get a transport line by rail/light rail out there.
Looking forward to watching the 10m platform street dancing
They'll finally build a decent mid-size ground that the Reds and Roar can use (possibly a Perry Park update). It's something that's obviously missing and would be well used.
Is Perry pk and surrounds able to be adequately developed? Close to city but I was so underwhelmed when I went past last time in Brisbane, unless you mean a 15k size ground with not all the bells and whistles.
Exactly that. 15-20K. Already have Suncorp and The Gabba as beg stadiums. The is no mid-sized rectangle stadium.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 33545
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by Ali's Choice »

Bindi wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:59 am
grievous wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:33 am
Bindi wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:39 am
grievous wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:15 am Much to learn from Sydney re stadium fiasco(s) but they already have good stadiums, use QE2 and get a transport line by rail/light rail out there.
Looking forward to watching the 10m platform street dancing
They'll finally build a decent mid-size ground that the Reds and Roar can use (possibly a Perry Park update). It's something that's obviously missing and would be well used.
Is Perry pk and surrounds able to be adequately developed? Close to city but I was so underwhelmed when I went past last time in Brisbane, unless you mean a 15k size ground with not all the bells and whistles.
Exactly that. 15-20K. Already have Suncorp and The Gabba as beg stadiums. The is no mid-sized rectangle stadium.
CBus Super Stadium is an hour from the centre of Brisbane.
grievous
Posts: 13300
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Tahstown

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by grievous »

Bindi wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:59 am
grievous wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:33 am
Bindi wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:39 am
grievous wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:15 am Much to learn from Sydney re stadium fiasco(s) but they already have good stadiums, use QE2 and get a transport line by rail/light rail out there.
Looking forward to watching the 10m platform street dancing
They'll finally build a decent mid-size ground that the Reds and Roar can use (possibly a Perry Park update). It's something that's obviously missing and would be well used.
Is Perry pk and surrounds able to be adequately developed? Close to city but I was so underwhelmed when I went past last time in Brisbane, unless you mean a 15k size ground with not all the bells and whistles.
Exactly that. 15-20K. Already have Suncorp and The Gabba as beg stadiums. The is no mid-sized rectangle stadium.
Bit small if rugby gets its mojo back
grievous
Posts: 13300
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Tahstown

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by grievous »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:25 am
Bindi wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:59 am
grievous wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:33 am
Bindi wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:39 am
grievous wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:15 am Much to learn from Sydney re stadium fiasco(s) but they already have good stadiums, use QE2 and get a transport line by rail/light rail out there.
Looking forward to watching the 10m platform street dancing
They'll finally build a decent mid-size ground that the Reds and Roar can use (possibly a Perry Park update). It's something that's obviously missing and would be well used.
Is Perry pk and surrounds able to be adequately developed? Close to city but I was so underwhelmed when I went past last time in Brisbane, unless you mean a 15k size ground with not all the bells and whistles.
Exactly that. 15-20K. Already have Suncorp and The Gabba as beg stadiums. The is no mid-sized rectangle stadium.
CBus Super Stadium is an hour from the centre of Brisbane.
Even Gold Coast people dont go there.
User avatar
Bindi
Posts: 8059
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Plum

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by Bindi »

grievous wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:31 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:25 am
Bindi wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:59 am
grievous wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:33 am
Bindi wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:39 am

They'll finally build a decent mid-size ground that the Reds and Roar can use (possibly a Perry Park update). It's something that's obviously missing and would be well used.
Is Perry pk and surrounds able to be adequately developed? Close to city but I was so underwhelmed when I went past last time in Brisbane, unless you mean a 15k size ground with not all the bells and whistles.
Exactly that. 15-20K. Already have Suncorp and The Gabba as beg stadiums. The is no mid-sized rectangle stadium.
CBus Super Stadium is an hour from the centre of Brisbane.
Even Gold Coast people dont go there.
It isn't an hour away anyway. Traffic north and south of Brisbane is now f**ked.
inshane
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Straya, cnuts!

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by inshane »

About 90 minutes from Central by train, including a 10 minute stroll from Robina station.

If I remember correctly the return by train was free with your stadium ticket for League and Rugby 7s -and during the Commonwealth Games they ran extra trains

insane
User avatar
Akkerman
Posts: 11960
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Yemen

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by Akkerman »

Seems like a done deal
Brisbane is close to being formally confirmed as the host of the 2032 Olympics and Paralympics next month after its “irresistible” bid was unanimously approved by the International Olympic Committee’s executive.

The decision still needs to be put to a vote of IOC members in Tokyo on 21 July, but with no other cities left in contention it will almost certainly be a rubber-stamping exercise. If confirmed it will be the third time an Australian city has hosted the Olympic Games after Melbourne in 1956 and Sydney in 2000.

The IOC president, Thomas Bach, said Brisbane had impressed his organisation because it presented a “clear vision for a sustainable and feasible Olympic Games” which was fully aligned with the IOC’s vision. Bach also cited its climate in July and August as well as the “great support from the public and across the political spectrum”.

“All these together made it somehow irresistible for the future host commission as well as for the executive board,” Bach said. “But we are not there yet. It’s in the hands of the IOC members to vote on 21st of July.”

Several countries had expressed an interest in the 2032 Games, including Hungary, China, Qatar and Germany. But in a new process which no longer openly pits cities against each other, Brisbane took the box seat in February when it became the IOC’s preferred bidder.

The bid, which plans to use 84% existing and temporary venues to cut down on costs, also benefited from a pledge from Australia’s prime minister, Scott Morrison, that the federal government would cover half the costs, adding contributions from state and local governments.

“The Brisbane 2032 Olympic project shows how forward-thinking leaders recognise the power of sport as a way to achieve lasting legacies for their communities,” Bach added.

However, he rejected claims that the IOC had not been transparent in awarding the Games, and denied that there had been a conflict of interest given his vice-president, John Coates, is from Australia. “There are very strict rules in the IOC, and these rules are closely monitored by our chief compliance and ethics officer,” Bach said. “And as a result of this, John Coates has not taken part in any discussion or any decision.”
User avatar
Auckman
Posts: 9909
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sydney Town

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by Auckman »

Something for QLDers to smile about after the State of origin the other night.


Anyway, what’s this talk of a new stadium? I thought they were using a spoofed-up GABBA?
User avatar
kiap
Posts: 20766
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by kiap »

Auckman wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:44 pm Anyway, what’s this talk of a new stadium? I thought they were using a spoofed-up GABBA?
Think the boredites were talking about a mid-sized rectangular venue --- not the main Stade de Gabba.

In terms of securing the bid, I tended to think the biggest obstacle was Tokyo not going ahead ... whereby they would be given 2032 in lieu. -- i.e. thanks for your interest, Brisvegas, better luck next time.

Otherwise, it's the recent costly games fiascos + a world pandemic, etc, that's kept the little battler in the mix. :thumbup:
towny
Posts: 22836
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by towny »

grievous wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:15 am Much to learn from Sydney re stadium fiasco(s) but they already have good stadiums, use QE2 and get a transport line by rail/light rail out there.
Looking forward to watching the 10m platform street dancing
QEII has poor public transport, is miles from the centre and is easily the worst stadium ever built by anyone. In the unlikely event that Brisbane was awarded the Olympics there is a 100% guarantee that it would need a new stadium.

Olympics shouldn’t go to cities like Brisbane. It’s a really dumb idea.
User avatar
Mr Mike
Posts: 11353
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Texas

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by Mr Mike »

towny wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:41 pmIn the unlikely event that Brisbane was awarded the Olympics there is a 100% guarantee that it would need a new stadium.
Aren't they the only bidder? Bold call to decide to just skip 2032 instead.
towny
Posts: 22836
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by towny »

Mr Mike wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:19 pm
towny wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:41 pmIn the unlikely event that Brisbane was awarded the Olympics there is a 100% guarantee that it would need a new stadium.
Aren't they the only bidder? Bold call to decide to just skip 2032 instead.
I’m sure someone else will put their hand up. I love Brisbane - grew up there. It has 17 hotel rooms and not enough people to justify the required infrastructure. It’d be like having it in Auckland or Dublin.
User avatar
Frodder
Posts: 12196
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 pm
Location: Leafy Cheshire (West)

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by Frodder »

Cancelled due to Covid-19
User avatar
Mr Mike
Posts: 11353
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Texas

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by Mr Mike »

towny wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:03 pm
Mr Mike wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:19 pm
towny wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:41 pmIn the unlikely event that Brisbane was awarded the Olympics there is a 100% guarantee that it would need a new stadium.
Aren't they the only bidder? Bold call to decide to just skip 2032 instead.
I’m sure someone else will put their hand up. I love Brisbane - grew up there. It has 17 hotel rooms and not enough people to justify the required infrastructure. It’d be like having it in Auckland or Dublin.
If Helsinki could do it 76 years earlier with a fraction of the population….
User avatar
kiap
Posts: 20766
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by kiap »

towny wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:41 pm QEII has poor public transport, is miles from the centre and is easily the worst stadium ever built by anyone. In the unlikely event that Brisbane was awarded the Olympics there is a 100% guarantee that it would need a new stadium.
Think they'll throw coupla bob at the Gabba rather than QEII

Image

Image

Image

Image
towny wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:41 pm Olympics shouldn’t go to cities like Brisbane. It’s a really dumb idea.
What the Olympics is trying to avoid now =>Co$ts far above ten or eleven figures:

Image

Rio is not on there. But whatever their total was, Brasil couldn't afford it...

Image

Athens hastened the Greeks' slide into the Abyss.
towny
Posts: 22836
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by towny »

kiap wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:22 pm
towny wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:41 pm QEII has poor public transport, is miles from the centre and is easily the worst stadium ever built by anyone. In the unlikely event that Brisbane was awarded the Olympics there is a 100% guarantee that it would need a new stadium.
Think they'll throw coupla bob at the Gabba rather than QEII

Image

Image

Image

Image
towny wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:41 pm Olympics shouldn’t go to cities like Brisbane. It’s a really dumb idea.
What the Olympics is trying to avoid now =>Co$ts far above ten or eleven figures:

Image

Rio is not on there. But whatever their total was, Brasil couldn't afford it...

Image

Athens hastened the Greeks' slide into the Abyss.
When was the last time an Olympic stadium didn’t have a train station? The Gabba is half the size of the next smallest Olympic stadium since 200BC. It doesn’t even have a decent sized car park. It’s in a suburb and it couldn’t be made any bigger. Maybe they can have the judo there.

The Chandler Aquatic centre holds about 5000 people. I was last there 30 years ago and it looked like a tired old place. No trains, but maybe 100,000 rental cars will be sent to Brissie.
User avatar
Bindi
Posts: 8059
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Plum

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by Bindi »

towny wrote:
When was the last time an Olympic stadium didn’t have a train station? The Gabba is half the size of the next smallest Olympic stadium since 200BC. It doesn’t even have a decent sized car park. It’s in a suburb and it couldn’t be made any bigger. Maybe they can have the judo there.

The Chandler Aquatic centre holds about 5000 people. I was last there 30 years ago and it looked like a tired old place. No trains, but maybe 100,000 rental cars will be sent to Brissie.
If only there were some sort of cross-river rail infrastructure currently being built that services the Gabba.

https://crossriverrail.qld.gov.au/
towny
Posts: 22836
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by towny »

Bindi wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:32 pm
towny wrote:
When was the last time an Olympic stadium didn’t have a train station? The Gabba is half the size of the next smallest Olympic stadium since 200BC. It doesn’t even have a decent sized car park. It’s in a suburb and it couldn’t be made any bigger. Maybe they can have the judo there.

The Chandler Aquatic centre holds about 5000 people. I was last there 30 years ago and it looked like a tired old place. No trains, but maybe 100,000 rental cars will be sent to Brissie.
If only there were some sort of cross-river rail infrastructure currently being built that services the Gabba.

https://crossriverrail.qld.gov.au/
Well then. That’s one problem down. But the Gabba holds 40k - Sydney held 110k. Shirley the minimum is 80k.
User avatar
kiap
Posts: 20766
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by kiap »

towny wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:12 pm When was the last time an Olympic stadium didn’t have a train station? The Gabba is half the size of the next smallest Olympic stadium since 200BC. It doesn’t even have a decent sized car park.
Boom. Building it now. Will probably be closer than London's.

Image
towny wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:12 pm It’s in a suburb and it couldn’t be made any bigger. Maybe they can have the judo there.
The stadium will be somewhat bigger. How much ain't exactly clear. Palaszczuk was talking about lifting it to 80k - See here - but she might be engaging in pollie-speak. May end up at 55-60k.
towny wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:12 pm The Chandler Aquatic centre holds about 5000 people. I was last there 30 years ago and it looked like a tired old place. No trains, but maybe 100,000 rental cars will be sent to Brissie.
I think Chandler will be for waterpolo and the likes only.

They're building a new centre for swimming.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 33545
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by Ali's Choice »

Brisbane is a great choice for the Olympics, and if they get the games it will be a great event.

Towny, I agree with you that there isn't a surplus of hotel accommodation in Brisbane, but there is lots on the Gold Coast which is 100km away from the centre of Brisbane. I disagree with you on everything else. How many cities do you lay claim to? Perth, Townsville, Darwin, Stockholm? Where else? Brisbane has changed a lot since you were sneaking into Whisky A Go Go's with fake ID in your teens. It's a proper, grown up city and between itself and Gold Coast there is a stack of infrastructure already in place. Of course, part of bidding for the Olympics is building new infrastructure and that's what the QLD state govt will do.
User avatar
kiap
Posts: 20766
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by kiap »

<edit> 80k proposal was here:
https://www.austadiums.com/news/695/new ... ympics-bid

Unlikely to be that big, tho.

Problem with an 80k stadium is after the games.

Big stadiums aren't that good. Australia already has several (very expensive) crappy ones.
Last edited by kiap on Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
towny
Posts: 22836
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by towny »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:56 pm Brisbane is a great choice for the Olympics, and if they get the games it will be a great event.

Towny, I agree with you that there isn't a surplus of hotel accommodation in Brisbane, but there is lots on the Gold Coast which is 100km away from the centre of Brisbane. I disagree with you on everything else. How many cities do you lay claim to? Perth, Townsville, Darwin, Stockholm? Where else? Brisbane has changed a lot since you were sneaking into Whisky A Go Go's with fake ID in your teens. It's a proper, grown up city and between itself and Gold Coast there is a stack of infrastructure already in place. Of course, part of bidding for the Olympics is building new infrastructure and that's what the QLD state govt will do.
I’m coming around to the idea. The map had impact - the Gold Coast is perfect! I think half the apartments in Brisbane CBD are empty anyway.

I love the place - The Pineapple Hotel was my regular for a while.

But the Gabba will have to be torn down and rebuilt.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 33545
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Brisbane 2032 Olympics

Post by Ali's Choice »

towny wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:06 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:56 pm Brisbane is a great choice for the Olympics, and if they get the games it will be a great event.

Towny, I agree with you that there isn't a surplus of hotel accommodation in Brisbane, but there is lots on the Gold Coast which is 100km away from the centre of Brisbane. I disagree with you on everything else. How many cities do you lay claim to? Perth, Townsville, Darwin, Stockholm? Where else? Brisbane has changed a lot since you were sneaking into Whisky A Go Go's with fake ID in your teens. It's a proper, grown up city and between itself and Gold Coast there is a stack of infrastructure already in place. Of course, part of bidding for the Olympics is building new infrastructure and that's what the QLD state govt will do.
I’m coming around to the idea. The map had impact - the Gold Coast is perfect! I think half the apartments in Brisbane CBD are empty anyway.

I love the place - The Pineapple Hotel was my regular for a while.

But the Gabba will have to be torn down and rebuilt.
To be fair no-one will miss the Gabba. Especially if it's rebuilt bigger and better, And indoor stadium would be nice. The Pineapple Hotel is a nice spot.
Post Reply