23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

All things Rugby
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 32314
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by eldanielfire »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:40 am How long does it take to tell 14 professional rugby players with an average over 200 professional games each not to break the laws of the game? Less than six seconds....

We moan about refs not having a feel for the game - how about players.
Agreed, even tough I think the ref was harsh with the time. It doesn't need a speech, it requires a Martin Johnson like "Ref says stop f#cking infringing or else!"

But Farrell has shown himself to be a poor captain before anyway. Interesting in Scum V there is some implication that the Welsh players look at referee tendencies and play tp them. I think Biggar pulled this same trick with the same referee before.
C69
Posts: 41207
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by C69 »

I see the ref has admitted he got the 2 tries wrong.
Good on him, but it's not going to stop the braying Gammons crying their eyes out is it.
User avatar
Edinburgh01
Posts: 5789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by Edinburgh01 »

C69 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:48 pm I see the ref has admitted he got the 2 tries wrong.
Good on him, but it's not going to stop the braying Gammons crying their eyes out is it.
Pretty much what sensible posters have been saying.
“From the moment when the referee says ‘time on’ the game can recommence,” Jutge explained. “Except that it was on him [Gauzere] to make sure the English had had material time to reorganise themselves, because it was him who had asked the captain to speak to his players.”
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... l-19938253
C69
Posts: 41207
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by C69 »

Edinburgh01 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:54 pm
C69 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:48 pm I see the ref has admitted he got the 2 tries wrong.
Good on him, but it's not going to stop the braying Gammons crying their eyes out is it.
Pretty much what sensible posters have been saying.
“From the moment when the referee says ‘time on’ the game can recommence,” Jutge explained. “Except that it was on him [Gauzere] to make sure the English had had material time to reorganise themselves, because it was him who had asked the captain to speak to his players.”
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... l-19938253
Time to forget about it, stop laughing and move on.
England were comprehensively beaten in this game and in their last loss.
They need to take their medicine and be honest about their failings.
User avatar
message #2527204
Posts: 13976
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Ultracrepidaria

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by message #2527204 »

:thumbdown:
C69 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:48 pm I see the ref has admitted he got the 2 tries wrong.
Good on him, but it's not going to stop the braying Gammons crying their eyes out is it.
So you think England should call a press conference to point out that gauzere admits he was wrong, we'll call it "the Welsh way"?
Or do you think, like normal supporters, that the game is over and no amount of publicity will change the scoreline?
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 32314
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by eldanielfire »

Was it George Ford's fault? Not because Ford was out jumped.

Interesting angel from Squidge. He got more footage of the incident. He says the TV footage made it look worse due to cut aways. However, the reason why England players where so bunched up was not because Farrell called them in to talk after the ref, but it was because Ford called them in for a tactical talk when the ref called Farrell over. They were already spreading out after Faz's chat slowly when the ref called time on. I think they thought it was going to be a kick to lineout. But the England players on the right did get into position. It was those on the left who were far slower. Should they have jogged into defensive position?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6rIMLowoJI
User avatar
DragsterDriver
Posts: 26167
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Big Willi Style

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by DragsterDriver »

The England players were thick as shit, absolutely at fault.

Biggar was superb in both thought and execution.

None of which excuses the ref though, completely negligent.
User avatar
DOB
Posts: 20009
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by DOB »

On watching the Squidge clip, I have to say I agree with him; The England huddle had broken up and players were walking back into position. Gauzere and Biggar are both watching the England players walking around. It's Watson's job there to get back into his position quickly, the way May and the players on the other side did. If he jogged back as soon as the huddle was over, instead of walking aimlessly around under the posts, then Biggar wouldn't have taken his kick. It's also Farrell's job to clarify with the ref, "is he kicking for posts, sir? Has he nominated, sir?" Just by asking that question out loud, it would have put the hurry-up on his players to get into position. It's nothing like Ireland v SA, where John Smit literally still had his back turned to Honiss.


I still disagree on the Williams try. If the ball hadn't hit Slade's leg it would have been "backwards, play on" and nobody would have looked at it twice.
Last edited by DOB on Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 32314
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by eldanielfire »

DOB wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:02 pm
I disagree with him on the Williams try. If the ball hadn't hit Slade's leg it would have been "backwards, play on" and nobody would have looked at it twice.
I do see however that it's areal grey area with some contradicting statements in the laws. IMO if it goes backwards it should never be regarded as a knock-on. In other situations there can potentially be a case where the "under control" aspect will be dubious as well and a matter of opinion.
User avatar
DOB
Posts: 20009
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by DOB »

eldanielfire wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:06 pm
DOB wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:02 pm
I disagree with him on the Williams try. If the ball hadn't hit Slade's leg it would have been "backwards, play on" and nobody would have looked at it twice.
I do see however that it's areal grey area with some contradicting statements in the laws. IMO if it goes backwards it should never be regarded as a knock-on. In other situations there can potentially be a case where the "under control" aspect will be dubious as well and a matter of opinion.
This, exactly. And if this sentence needs to be included in the laws, then so be it.
iarmhiman
Posts: 43717
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by iarmhiman »

User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 32314
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by eldanielfire »

iarmhiman wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:14 pm
:shock:
So good it even has it's own topic:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=101020

Though to be fair it probably could have been posted in here.
User avatar
Jeff the Bear
Posts: 19443
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by Jeff the Bear »

eldanielfire wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:26 pm Was it George Ford's fault? Not because Ford was out jumped.

Interesting angel from Squidge. He got more footage of the incident. He says the TV footage made it look worse due to cut aways. However, the reason why England players where so bunched up was not because Farrell called them in to talk after the ref, but it was because Ford called them in for a tactical talk when the ref called Farrell over. They were already spreading out after Faz's chat slowly when the ref called time on. I think they thought it was going to be a kick to lineout. But the England players on the right did get into position. It was those on the left who were far slower. Should they have jogged into defensive position?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6rIMLowoJI
What a beautiful video. Once and for all proving that the first try was exclusively due to English shithousery.

It's Gauzere I feel sorry for, as he's been hung out to dry as an escape goat when he did nothing wrong.
farmerdave
Posts: 612
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by farmerdave »

eldanielfire wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:26 pm Was it George Ford's fault? Not because Ford was out jumped.

Interesting angel from Squidge. He got more footage of the incident. He says the TV footage made it look worse due to cut aways. However, the reason why England players where so bunched up was not because Farrell called them in to talk after the ref, but it was because Ford called them in for a tactical talk when the ref called Farrell over. They were already spreading out after Faz's chat slowly when the ref called time on. I think they thought it was going to be a kick to lineout. But the England players on the right did get into position. It was those on the left who were far slower. Should they have jogged into defensive position?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6rIMLowoJI
That was spot on for both decisions. The knock on, definitely grey, not a certainty,Wales get the rub. The huddle, heaps of time unless you're a tortoise.
I've only seen the extended highlights and one of biggest impressions was that England were slow moving all day. Someone above mentioned "feel for the game" and maybe subconsciously both the ref and Wales felt that from England.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 32314
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by eldanielfire »

farmerdave wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:57 am
That was spot on for both decisions. The knock on, definitely grey, not a certainty,Wales get the rub. The huddle, heaps of time unless you're a tortoise.
I've only seen the extended highlights and one of biggest impressions was that England were slow moving all day. Someone above mentioned "feel for the game" and maybe subconsciously both the ref and Wales felt that from England.
England players lack "a feel for the game" has now been a bit of a historic issue. As I said at least back to the Johnson era. I thought Jones had cracked it a bit but even in 2019, but England England can't turn games around and win when they go behind. Jones just worked out have a plan to get ahead early. But when it doesn't work, England go nowhere. Jones appears to have just given up solving the problem and creating work arounds.

I wonder if it's an issue with the culture of English rugby right up across the grassroots? Farrell being the epitome of functional, physical but robotic players the system throws up. Interesting though Squidge points out how Ford does read the game well and responds, but often doesn't always have his team mates with options around him.
User avatar
Jeff the Bear
Posts: 19443
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by Jeff the Bear »

I wonder how many posters who got it completely wrong will admit it? :?
Gwenno
Posts: 8424
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by Gwenno »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:38 am I wonder how many posters who got it completely wrong will admit it? :?
I’m too stingy to pay to read the Torygraph article that Squidge hints about what Gauzere actually said in his ‘admission’.
User avatar
Frodder
Posts: 11369
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 pm
Location: Leafy Cheshire (West)

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by Frodder »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:38 am I wonder how many posters who got it completely wrong will admit it? :?
Tbf not many are complaining about the Adams try but they've got every right for Sanjay's. They can have our BP back
C69
Posts: 41207
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by C69 »

Frodder wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:50 am
Jeff the Bear wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:38 am I wonder how many posters who got it completely wrong will admit it? :?
Tbf not many are complaining about the Adams try but they've got every right for Sanjay's. They can have our BP back
Can we have the 5 or 6 Itoje pens the ref missed and a posthumous yellow for their useless lump of a second roll after he took a player out?

No basically, however the extended highlights showed that the opposite side of the field's players were cornwr flagging unlile Watson.
If Watson had moved to his wimg lile May did then no try.
But he sauntered over without a care in the World.

Well until the try was scored.
Farrell's cross kick against Edinburgh was very similar tbh.

:lol:
User avatar
Hawk97
Posts: 14577
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:47 pm

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by Hawk97 »

Look at you cünts. It's literally just the Welsh discussing this now and gloating amongst themselves :lol:

It's cool, you deserved to win :thumbup:
User avatar
AND-y
Posts: 16581
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by AND-y »

Of course we are gloating, what's the point of this ridiculous sport otherwise
User avatar
Hawk97
Posts: 14577
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:47 pm

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by Hawk97 »

AND-y wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:41 am what's the point of this ridiculous sport
I've been asking that for a while.
User avatar
Jeff the Bear
Posts: 19443
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Hawk97 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:39 am Look at you cünts. It's literally just the Welsh discussing this now and gloating amongst themselves :lol:
By the look of C69's spelling and grammar, not only are we still gloating, but we are also still drinking :thumbup:
User avatar
AND-y
Posts: 16581
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by AND-y »

Hawk97 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:42 am
AND-y wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:41 am what's the point of this ridiculous sport
I've been asking that for a while.
I think once you start seeing pro sport as a load of grown men and women competing in childrens games that we get weirdly invested in it all becomes clearer.
C69
Posts: 41207
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by C69 »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:42 am
Hawk97 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:39 am Look at you cünts. It's literally just the Welsh discussing this now and gloating amongst themselves :lol:
By the look of C69's spelling and grammar, not only are we still gloating, but we are also still drinking :thumbup:
Typos ffs on my phone. Good job that I have secretarial support in work to do my letters lol.
However I am still very pleased
User avatar
LandOTurk
Posts: 14256
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by LandOTurk »

C69 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:02 am
Frodder wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:50 am
Jeff the Bear wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:38 am I wonder how many posters who got it completely wrong will admit it? :?
Tbf not many are complaining about the Adams try but they've got every right for Sanjay's. They can have our BP back
Can we have the 5 or 6 Itoje pens the ref missed and a posthumous yellow for their useless lump of a second roll after he took a player out?

No basically, however the extended highlights showed that the opposite side of the field's players were cornwr flagging unlile Watson.
If Watson had moved to his wimg lile May did then no try.
But he sauntered over without a care in the World.

Well until the try was scored.
Farrell's cross kick against Edinburgh was very similar tbh.

:lol:
It was Daly who moved out widest, but still point is fair.
cubby boi
Posts: 1365
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 6:16 pm

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by cubby boi »

Some key points that the English media have failed to cover

1. England team were already switched off and in a huddle before Farrell came to give the instruction

2. With the team already in a huddle, it takes 5 seconds to tell the team to stop the pens or further sanctions will come.

3. The rest of the time was spent resting, drinking water and receiving instructions from Eddie. Farrell and England were taking liberties here. This is a fact.

4. The ref and Wales were clearly agitated to restart if anyone on the English side was paying any attention.
cubby boi
Posts: 1365
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 6:16 pm

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by cubby boi »

cubby boi wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:33 am Some key points that the English media have failed to cover

1. England team were already switched off and in a huddle before Farrell came to give the instruction

2. With the team already in a huddle, it takes 5 seconds to tell the team to stop the pens or further sanctions will come.

3. The rest of the time was spent resting, drinking water and receiving instructions from Eddie. Farrell and England were taking liberties here. This is a fact.

4. The ref and Wales were clearly agitated to restart if anyone on the English side was paying any attention.

5. The ref allowing the try clearly played on his mind when refusing to deal out cards to England later in the game
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 32314
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by eldanielfire »

LandOTurk wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:40 am
C69 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:02 am
Frodder wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:50 am
Jeff the Bear wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:38 am I wonder how many posters who got it completely wrong will admit it? :?
Tbf not many are complaining about the Adams try but they've got every right for Sanjay's. They can have our BP back
Can we have the 5 or 6 Itoje pens the ref missed and a posthumous yellow for their useless lump of a second roll after he took a player out?

No basically, however the extended highlights showed that the opposite side of the field's players were cornwr flagging unlile Watson.
If Watson had moved to his wimg lile May did then no try.
But he sauntered over without a care in the World.

Well until the try was scored.
Farrell's cross kick against Edinburgh was very similar tbh.

:lol:
It was Daly who moved out widest, but still point is fair.
Given Daly's inability to jump well for high balls Biggar's kick to try would have still worked on the other side with Daly there.
User avatar
Grandpa
Posts: 867
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Yorkshire

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by Grandpa »

Word has it that Farrell said to his group of players... "...forget what the ref said,... just be wary of a quick tap from the cheating filthy Welsh... remember what they did last time they were in this posi...."
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 32314
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by eldanielfire »

Grandpa wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:27 am Word has it that Farrell said to his group of players... "...forget what the ref said,... just be wary of a quick tap from the cheating filthy Welsh... remember what they did last time they were in this posi...."
:lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
AND-y
Posts: 16581
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by AND-y »

Grandpa wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:27 am Word has it that Farrell said to his group of players... "...forget what the ref said,... just be wary of a quick tap from the cheating filthy Welsh... remember what they did last time they were in this posi...."
:lol:
User avatar
PCPhil
Posts: 2850
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:19 pm
Location: Capital of Mercia

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by PCPhil »

With a few exceptions England rugby teams and their players are a bit thick. Historically it was the Scots that only had to use more than 5% of their brain power to leave our products of high educational institutions looking stupid. It's the Welsh these days.
Post Reply