23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

All things Rugby
Gwenno

23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by Gwenno »

Lots of the time on TV was taken with showing replays. 23 seconds is ample isn’t it?
MrDominator

Re: 23 seconds from ‘have a word’ to ‘time on’

Post by MrDominator »

Absolutely. Perfectly ample.

Gauzere's decisions were entirely normal and not dodgy in the slightest.

Nothing to see here.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Come to think of it - didn't he do exactly the same thing in the Wales England warm-up game after he'd sent an englishman off? Allowed a quick tap as he turned to walk off the field?
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

message #2527204 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:38 pm Come to think of it - didn't he do exactly the same thing in the Wales England warm-up game after he'd sent an englishman off? Allowed a quick tap as he turned to walk off the field?
Maybe it's his thing, not to give warnings? He was the same with offsides. In all honesty I don't know if I like his hardass approach or not.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

I think one of the best gauges is to ask yourself how you'd feel if he did the same thing to your own side.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

23 seconds would seem like an age if you had to wait that long before being able to skip the ads on YouTube.
message #2527204

AND-y wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:39 pm
message #2527204 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:38 pm Come to think of it - didn't he do exactly the same thing in the Wales England warm-up game after he'd sent an englishman off? Allowed a quick tap as he turned to walk off the field?
Maybe it's his thing, not to give warnings? He was the same with offsides. In all honesty I don't know if I like his hardass approach or not.
Once bitten twice shy. They should have known him.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

About 22 more seconds than Honiss allowed all those years back.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

He clearly ballsed it up, but lovely thinking and kicking from Biggar.

When people mention Faz as a test match animal, I instantly think of biggar.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:42 pm 23 seconds would seem like an age if you had to wait that long before being able to skip the ads on YouTube.
:lol: So true. 5 seconds pisses me off as it is. :thumbup:
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

The whole offending team knows what they did: they do not need their captain to explain it to them. It is just an opportunity to have a breather and re-group.

Harden up, Pommies!!!
message #2527204

wamberal wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:12 pm The whole offending team knows what they did: they do not need their captain to explain it to them. It is just an opportunity to have a breather and re-group.

Harden up, Pommies!!!
He was specifically told by the referee to go and talk to his team.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

wamberal wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:12 pm The whole offending team knows what they did: they do not need their captain to explain it to them. It is just an opportunity to have a breather and re-group.

Harden up, Pommies!!!
They were in a huddle because the ref told the captain to talk to his team. Had the ref not done so they would have been lined up ready to defend. Utterly crazy reffing.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

He saw one or two break from the huddle, but most were still in it I think. And he blew whistle. He was looking right at a circle of players under their posts.

Oh well. We are effing stupid beyond reproach. Maybe we'll learn, but probably not
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

DragsterDriver wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:57 pm He clearly ballsed it up, but lovely thinking and kicking from Biggar.

When people mention Faz as a test match animal, I instantly get bigger.
Fixed.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Biggar asked him to tell him when time was back on. He practically gave him a wink :lol:
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

It's enough. What's there to say? He just needed to jog back give a few quick words as he slots back into position. The "few words" is actually letting them off the hook as it delays handing out cards

England got in a huddle and took a drinks break. They deserved to conceed thst try.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Good game is a fast game.
Too many stoppages anyway - speed it up, encourage and reward quick play. Where not paying to watch guys stand around, drink, and receive instructions via the water boys.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Did Farrell ask the ref to stop the clock whilst he had a word ?; which I thought was de rigueur of captains since ROG pulled the same trick against the saffers ?

Unless you get the ref to stop the clock, your problem.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Gwenno wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:33 pm Lots of the time on TV was taken with showing replays. 23 seconds is ample isn’t it?
The ref says to England "time is off " then about 6 seconds later blows his whistle.
les@mooloolaba

Post by les@mooloolaba »

Gwenno wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:33 pm Lots of the time on TV was taken with showing replays. 23 seconds is ample isn’t it?
Yep, maybe the captain needs to spend less time arguing with the ref and more time paying attention to what is going on in the game...
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Ref seemed to blow time on as soon as the huddle started to break up, only thing I can think is the ref assumed Wales were going to take the shot at goal
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

camroc1 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:32 am Did Farrell ask the ref to stop the clock whilst he had a word ?; which I thought was de rigueur of captains since ROG pulled the same trick against the saffers ?

The ref says to England "time is off " then about 6 seconds later blows his whistle.
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

Never kick the ball across your own goalmouth in soccer.

Always play to the whistle.

Never trust the referee when he says "go back and talk to your team". It needs to be taught to kids that this phrase means nothing. No one should be caught out again.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

How long does it take to tell 14 professional rugby players with an average over 200 professional games each not to break the laws of the game? Less than six seconds....

We moan about refs not having a feel for the game - how about players.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Jerome Manning wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:13 am Never kick the ball across your own goalmouth in soccer.

Never trust the referee when he says "go back and talk to your team". It needs to be taught to kids that this phrase means nothing. No one should be caught out again.
That is not what caught them out. The 23 seconds in the thread title is misleading. Yes it was 23 seconds after the ref told Farrell to have a word with his team. It was later when the ref shouted to England that "time is off" that is what caught them out because within 6 seconds he had walked over to the Welsh fly half and said time is on to him only and blew his whistle.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:40 am How long does it take to tell 14 professional rugby players with an average over 200 professional games each not to break the laws of the game? Less than six seconds....

We moan about refs not having a feel for the game - how about players.
You target less than 10 penalties per game, Eng have been 13, 13 and now 14. The indiscipline issue would have been high on the agenda with Eddie and the senior players. I agree, Faz just needs to say NO FACKING PENALTIES LADS. Its 15 minutes into the game. So naive to bring all his team into a huddle like that. He enabled that try.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Might be worthwhile revisiting the protocol and instructing the ref to let both captains know when time is back on, not just the flyhalf of the team in possession.

That said, the English winger should never have left his post, no matter who has been told to talk to him.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

DOB wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:51 am Might be worthwhile revisiting the protocol and instructing the ref to let both captains know when time is back on, not just the flyhalf of the team in possession.

That said, the English winger should never have left his post, no matter who has been told to talk to him.

Fair .... and I think it was Ford who tackled Adams.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

DOB wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:51 am Might be worthwhile revisiting the protocol and instructing the ref to let both captains know when time is back on, not just the flyhalf of the team in possession.

Correct.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Fool me once, shame on you

Fool me twice ....

You know the rest
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Has any side had more of a charmed run than this Wales side in the Six Nations?

It's like the Springboks at a world cup.
Mr Fedora

Post by Mr Fedora »

[quote="Monkey Magic "... only thing I can think is the ref assumed Wales were going to take the shot at goal
[/quote]

As did I and everyone else watching, including the England team. That’s what caught them out. Schoolboy error.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

I don't really think protocols are the issue. When something like this happens I think you just have to wear it and get on with it. World Rugby should take it up with the ref. If he intentionally wanted to fuck one team a good idea would be to tell them time was off then immediately go to the opposing fly-half and tell them time was on giving the other side no time to prepare.
This incident should be hanging over this refs career for some time to come and he should know within a given time frame anything similar would be curtains.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

camroc1 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:32 am Did Farrell ask the ref to stop the clock whilst he had a word ?; which I thought was de rigueur of captains since ROG pulled the same trick against the saffers ?

He quite clearly indicates to Farrell time is off .
grubberkick

Post by grubberkick »

23 secs is more than enough to follow the ref’s instruction to communicate with team In a meaningful way.

Goodness, in 23 secs the forwards have almost started removing bits of sod from their studs before commencing the 5 min scrum. In 23 secs the players are almost part way through having a get together before a lineout.....
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:42 am
Jerome Manning wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:13 am Never kick the ball across your own goalmouth in soccer.

That is not what caught them out. The 23 seconds in the thread title is misleading. Yes it was 23 seconds after the ref told Farrell to have a word with his team. It was later when the ref shouted to England that "time is off" that is what caught them out because within 6 seconds he had walked over to the Welsh fly half and said time is on to him only and blew his whistle.
I’ve looked at it again this morning. 23 seconds from ‘have a word with your team’ but the clock was actually STOPPED for 37 seconds according to my wristwatch. The first 14 seconds were taken with the ref calling Faz over for a chat. The fact that the clock had already stopped implies that he had already said time off. This is not the only time where teams get caught out expecting a kick at goal. Not 6 seconds. Have another look.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

grubberkick wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:08 am 23 secs is more than enough to follow the ref’s instruction to communicate with team In a meaningful way.

Goodness, in 23 secs the forwards have almost started removing bits of sod from their studs before commencing the 5 min scrum. In 23 secs the players are almost part way through having a get together before a lineout.....
it was 6 seconds really. Time between 'time off' and 'time on'.

anyway, surely if he looks up and sees players in a circle under their posts he should shout 'time' or something?

I reiterate, we are a stupid team that deserved to lose, but Wales didn't need help
JamesJames

Post by JamesJames »

jdogscoop wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:14 am0

I love it when a few bitter tears get shed so long after the event. It's such an added bonus, like finding some chips at the bottom of the packet after you thought they were all finished.
grubberkick

Post by grubberkick »

JamesJames wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:59 am
jdogscoop wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:14 am0

I love it when a few bitter tears get shed so long after the event. It's such an added bonus, like finding some chips at the bottom of the packet after you thought they were all finished.

Personally, I find amusement comes in reading the tribal, goggle-watcher comments.