Disc Golf - yeah it's a real thing.

All things Rugby
Gospel

Disc Golf - yeah it's a real thing.

Post by Gospel »

Anyone play?

I have just started to get into this living next to a course and I highly recommend it.

This is one of the top players throwing it 530ft into the basket whilst falling arse over tit.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA8WP3U ... nnel=GKPro

I decided to give this hilarious excuse for a sport a go late last summer mostly due to COVID restrictions as it's a good bit of family exercise and you can take your dog along for the walk. Quite honestly I had sneered at it before actually trying to throw one of these discs anywhere over 100ft. It is ridiculously technical to get any distance [much like real golf] and you get that same real golf feeling as you walk the course navigating trees, water hazards and the weather.

Typically a par 3 will be around 100m and you won't be getting it out there off the tee without developing your game. The harder you try to rip it the worse it gets and when the wind is up it becomes a real slog for beginners.

The most common throws are forehand and backhand. Though added to that are shots like a roller, an overhead tomahawk or grenade and then various putting techniques. The hole is a catch basket. There are thousands of different discs all with different flight profiles and you change them up much in the same way you'd select a club.

The Disc Golf community in the UK have followed the real 'ball' golf restrictions so courses are currently off-limits. However they should be opening up soon and if you have a course nearby I recommend giving this a go - especially if you have a family.
Flyin Ryan

Re: Disc Golf - yeah it's a real thing.

Post by Flyin Ryan »

My dad jokingly says he invented this sport in the late '80s, and now everyone plays it. :lol: When I was 5 or so years old we'd play a game walking around the yard throwing a frisbee and the golf hole would be calling you have to hit this tree.

There's some public parks in the U.S. that will have frisbee golf courses set up on them.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:03 pm My dad says he invented this sport in the late '80s, and now everyone plays it. :lol: When I was 5 or so years old we'd play a game walking around the yard throwing a frisbee and the golf hole would be calling you have to hit this tree.
I actually play that way now. The first available tree all day long. :frown:
backrow

Post by backrow »

:thumbup:
Flyin Ryan wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:03 pm My dad jokingly says he invented this sport in the late '80s, and now everyone plays it. :lol: When I was 5 or so years old we'd play a game walking around the yard throwing a frisbee and the golf hole would be calling you have to hit this tree.

There's some public parks in the U.S. that will have frisbee golf courses set up on them.
Geoff Frisbee :thumbup:
Balls Out!

Post by Balls Out! »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:03 pm My dad jokingly says he invented this sport in the late '80s, and now everyone plays it. :lol: When I was 5 or so years old we'd play a game walking around the yard throwing a frisbee and the golf hole would be calling you have to hit this tree.

there's one just outside New Orleans that I used to go to from time to time in my 20s. Thought it was an awful idea before I first played it, but really good fun
DOB

Post by DOB »

Some lads on our rugby club are big into it, and there’s actually a course near here that’s supposed to be pretty good. I’ve tried to get them to organize a club disc golf tournament (we’re not the sort of club that has golf-golf tournaments) but, well, they’re disc golf players, with all the other recreational accoutrements that can sometimes entail, so the ethos of organizing an event doesn’t come naturally to them...
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

DOB wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:33 pm Some lads on our rugby club are big into it, and there’s actually a course near here that’s supposed to be pretty good. I’ve tried to get them to organize a club disc golf tournament (we’re not the sort of club that has golf-golf tournaments) but, well, they’re disc golf players, with all the other recreational accoutrements that can sometimes entail, so the ethos of organizing an event doesn’t come naturally to them...
So many courses in the US. I do like the laid back nature of the sport. When you're out playing there's no niggle. Everyone seems to get into the same frame of mind - with or without the added accoutrements.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

God this brings back good memories. There is a beautiful, massive course about 5 minutes from my childhood home that we used to go to all the time, spent many long summer days there. Some chains would be 800+ feet from the tee.

We used to see guys coming up with bags full of disks, but my friends and I typically just had a "driver" that could travel and a "putter" for short range floaters.

And yes DOB, we were usually on drugs.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

If you're looking for tips (granted it's been a few years since I've been):

- don't be afraid to throw overhand or even just chuck it like a rock; it doesn't have to sail like a frisbee, aesthetically pleasing as it may be -- although one of my buddies mastered the long distance tomahawk-flattening-out-and-sailing technique off the tee, so you can go that route too

- it seems counterintuitive, but when you wanna go long distance with a strong backhand frisbee-style throw, grip the bottom somewhat tightly (and resist the urge to place your forefinger on the rim, tuck that puppy underneath with the rests of his mates); the force should rip it out of your hand and if you do it right she'll sail. I note this is how the guy in the video above did it.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

I see this guy in the OP visited my park!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CxFWdQb21M

Fun fact - just outside of that parking lot you briefly see in the video, my brother and I, walking back to the car (the family minivan) after a game, got the bright idea to see who could land a disc closer to the car. I won with a beautiful shot on point that sailed 100-odd feet...right through the back window. :lol:

Funnily enough, as I was out with my little brother, this was one of the few times I was not baked.

Goddammit now I'm homesick :((
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

fonzeee wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:13 pm If you're looking for tips (granted it's been a few years since I've been):

- don't be afraid to throw overhand or even just chuck it like a rock; it doesn't have to sail like a frisbee, aesthetically pleasing as it may be -- although one of my buddies mastered the long distance tomahawk-flattening-out-and-sailing technique off the tee, so you can go that route too

- it seems counterintuitive, but when you wanna go long distance with a strong backhand frisbee-style throw, grip the bottom somewhat tightly (and resist the urge to place your forefinger on the rim, tuck that puppy underneath with the rests of his mates); the force should rip it out of your hand and if you do it right she'll sail. I note this is how the guy in the video above did it.
I am crap at the overhead shots largely as a result of a shoulder I damaged playing rugby. I have seen some fella actually fold his putter up into a ball and throw that in the basket - seems a bit dirty to me.

I mostly throw mids as I don't yet have the timing for a higher speed disc.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

I've always been tempted
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

I'm going to give this a crack, looks like there are a few courses around here :thumbup:
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

RuggaBugga wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:55 am I'm going to give this a crack, looks like there are a few courses around here :thumbup:
I seem to recall there’s a course (almost certainly the wrong term) in the Queenstown gardens altho’ not much use to you at present, I suppose.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

I'd love to have a go - but there's no courses nearby. Looks like the sort of thing that could take off quite easily. Costs should be very low - you could imagine local authorities or land owners setting up courses with relatively low funding.

Not the sort of thing I could ever take very seriously though.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Played by nerds and Tool fans in NZ.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

mr bungle wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:34 am Played by nerds and Tool fans in NZ.
:lol:
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

RuggaBugga wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:44 am
mr bungle wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:34 am Played by nerds and Tool fans in NZ.
:lol:
I say that as a non frisbee golf playing Tool fan. I think you know what I mean.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

ovalball wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:56 am I'd love to have a go - but there's no courses nearby. Looks like the sort of thing that could take off quite easily. Costs should be very low - you could imagine local authorities or land owners setting up courses with relatively low funding.

Not the sort of thing I could ever take very seriously though.
I am not sure how serious I am going to take it but it's quite addictive when you finally manage to send a disc 300ft and watch it flex out. Shaping shots around trees and skipping off the ground is like hitting a high fading five iron 200 yards to a tucked pin position - but without all the trappings that comes with playing ball golf.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

It has become one of our COVID activities. I take the kids on week-ends and it's a nice opportunity to be out, walk a bit, enjoy fresh air, chat and still be competitive which kids love. :thumbup:
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

fonzeee wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:13 pm If you're looking for tips (granted it's been a few years since I've been):

grip the bottom somewhat tightly (and resist the urge to place your forefinger on the rim, tuck that puppy underneath with the rests of his mates); the force should rip it out of your hand and if you do it right she'll sail.
For a minute I thought you were talking about a technique you apply with your latinas :o
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

TheFrog wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:55 pm It has become one of our COVID activities. I take the kids on week-ends and it's a nice opportunity to be out, walk a bit, enjoy fresh air, chat and still be competitive which kids love. :thumbup:
Yeah I am very much of the same mind but typically once I saw it being played properly by local club players I knew I had to learn to do it well. So I now have about 100 discs, a large net and a catch basket in the garden. :blush:
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Gospel wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:58 pm
TheFrog wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:55 pm It has become one of our COVID activities. I take the kids on week-ends and it's a nice opportunity to be out, walk a bit, enjoy fresh air, chat and still be competitive which kids love. :thumbup:
Yeah I am very much of the same mind but typically once I saw it being played properly by local club players I knew I had to learn to do it well. So I now have about 100 discs, a large net and a catch basket in the garden. :blush:
:lol: :thumbup: