Wallabies 2021 OFFICIAL thread

All things Rugby
Zakar

Re: Wallabies 2021 OFFICIAL thread

Post by Zakar »

The Optimist wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:52 am Think MK would be the 1st. Always consistent, something missing in Wallabies rugby... consistency.
:lol:

Woosh.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Zakar wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:56 am
The Optimist wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:52 am Think MK would be the 1st. Always consistent, something missing in Wallabies rugby... consistency.

Woosh.
I got the gag

I just thought it was a little disrespectful to pigeon hole him at 11 when he can play anywhere
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

shanky wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:26 am
Zakar wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:56 am

Woosh.
I got the gag

I just thought it was a little disrespectful to pigeon hole him at 11 when he can play anywhere

He's got the pick and drive down pat, maybe we move him to the forwards.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Not to mention his in-your-face defence

McReight must be looking over his shoulder right now
Olo

Post by Olo »

Careful now.......
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Rennie has declared Petaia is a lock for 15 and JOC is the 10 and captain. Has no idea who should be hooker, even floating the idea of a 'fan forum' with a show of hands at the end as to who should start.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/ ... 57j6t.html
shanky

Post by shanky »

Olo wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:36 am Careful now.......
I think if MK decided to push in the scrum, he’d be doing that too.

Push like the wind.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Bindi wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:52 am Rennie has declared Petaia is a lock for 15 and JOC is the 10 and captain. Has no idea who should be hooker, even floating the idea of a 'fan forum' with a show of hands at the end as to who should start.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/ ... 57j6t.html
Wow. That stuff about hooker is bizarre

Presumably he wants to put a shot up the incumbents by selecting a solid Shute clubman and a hooker who can’t throw straight
Olo

Post by Olo »

BPA, FF and Uelese will be in the mix
Brumbieman

Post by Brumbieman »

I'm a little torn atm - on one hand i want established centre pairings at SR level to then kick on to test, much like Nonu and Smith did for so long. Eg Simone/Ikitau and Paisami/Petaia.

On the other hand, we have 3 shit hot options who all seem to want to play 13, which is also not bad as competition will drive them all higher, but we don't want them all playing 13, and then force 2 of them to play a different position at test level.

Ideally though, somehow Paisami, Ikitau and Petaia are all in the team. For me, that means Paisami (as i've said before Horan was even saying) should decide he's playing 12 and not budge on that. Has all the skills required other than his tendency to telegraph his L-R pass, though that is something that could and should be ironed out very quickly. Everything about him screams 12 to me. Those rushes out of the line for a big hit can just as effective as a good line break, but you're far more likely to fudge it up at 13, than 12. So for me, Paisami is our 12.

Ikitau - good grief, was a little quiet against the Reds (and huge credit to Flook for that), but he looks pure gold, and seems a more natural fit at 13 than Paisami. They will make one hell of a combination going forward.

Petaia - at this stage, i'd be happy for him to follow the Umaga/Mortlock progression of using their freak skills on the end of a movement, while he learns to calm his mind and use those skills to put other people into space. That puts him on a wing, for the moment, but the idea of him at fullback is mouth watering, if he can prove he's got a test level kicking game.

I'm all for Banks/Latho 2.0, but i can see what people are saying about him just not quite owning matches. That said, neither did Latham until he was 29, then for 3 years he was the best fullback in the world. I'd wager Banks will do similar, and until Jordy can kick as well as Banks, TBH i'd be having Jordy as strike impact from the bench.

The wings atm are locked in with MK and Wright, and Banks compliments them well, so i'd be going with that.

Wright is the smokey though - has everything required to play any back position other than 9, but seems so at home out on the wing. If Banks wasn't at the Brumbies/got injured then Wright would be the only logical option to replace him, and it feels that way for test level atm as well, until Petaia can prove consistency and that he can kick as well/better.

JOC vs Lolesio - i'll wager Lolesio is the bloke that lifts the RWC and plays 100 tests at 10, but JOC has the experience/runs on the board atm and both are superb options, and excellent goal kickers.

10. JOC
11. MK
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Wright
15. Banks

22. Lolesio
23. Petaia

IMO, that's the best we can roll out atm, and it makes me turgid. Get Arnold back in combo with Neville (fudge Rodda the sook), with Phillip, LSL, Hosea and maybe Timani for depth, and a backrow of Valetini, Wilson and McReight/Hooper, and fudge me we have a special team lining up.

It's up to you now Mr Rennie!
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

That's kind of how I see the backline.

Could be convinced to swap Wright and Petaia or Petaia and Banks depending on how the rest of the season goes.

Banks has made an artform out of kicking for touch.
The Optimist

Post by The Optimist »

I find Petaia lazy, or if the ball doesn't find him, he tends to go missing.

Would he go looking for work at 15? I'm not convinced, though happy to be proven wrong.
Olo

Post by Olo »

I think hes keen to be more involved, and hence has a tendency to over play his hand. On the wing and at 15 your role is more clearly defined.

He will end up at 13 or 15.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Petaia’s main problem is that every man and his dog (plus a fair few dribblers) have anointed him as the new messiah

He can never be dropped now. The pressure is enormous on the poor kid.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

shanky wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:26 am Petaia’s main problem is that every man and his dog (plus a fair few dribblers) have anointed him as the new messiah

"Every man and his dog" would be everybody, wouldn't it? Or are "dribblers" from another planet?

Please explain your cliches.
kiap

Post by kiap »

wamberal wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:48 am
shanky wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:26 am Petaia’s main problem is that every man and his dog (plus a fair few dribblers) have anointed him as the new messiah

"Every man and his dog" would be everybody, wouldn't it? Or are "dribblers" from another planet?

Could be wimmin, innit.
shanky

Post by shanky »

In this particular example, ‘dribblers’ encompasses Reds supporters
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Brumbieman wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:54 am I'm a little torn atm - on one hand i want established centre pairings at SR level to then kick on to test, much like Nonu and Smith did for so long. Eg Simone/Ikitau and Paisami/Petaia.

On the other hand, we have 3 shit hot options who all seem to want to play 13, which is also not bad as competition will drive them all higher, but we don't want them all playing 13, and then force 2 of them to play a different position at test level.

Ideally though, somehow Paisami, Ikitau and Petaia are all in the team. For me, that means Paisami (as i've said before Horan was even saying) should decide he's playing 12 and not budge on that. Has all the skills required other than his tendency to telegraph his L-R pass, though that is something that could and should be ironed out very quickly. Everything about him screams 12 to me. Those rushes out of the line for a big hit can just as effective as a good line break, but you're far more likely to fudge it up at 13, than 12. So for me, Paisami is our 12.

Ikitau - good grief, was a little quiet against the Reds (and huge credit to Flook for that), but he looks pure gold, and seems a more natural fit at 13 than Paisami. They will make one hell of a combination going forward.

Petaia - at this stage, i'd be happy for him to follow the Umaga/Mortlock progression of using their freak skills on the end of a movement, while he learns to calm his mind and use those skills to put other people into space. That puts him on a wing, for the moment, but the idea of him at fullback is mouth watering, if he can prove he's got a test level kicking game.

I'm all for Banks/Latho 2.0, but i can see what people are saying about him just not quite owning matches. That said, neither did Latham until he was 29, then for 3 years he was the best fullback in the world. I'd wager Banks will do similar, and until Jordy can kick as well as Banks, TBH i'd be having Jordy as strike impact from the bench.

The wings atm are locked in with MK and Wright, and Banks compliments them well, so i'd be going with that.

Wright is the smokey though - has everything required to play any back position other than 9, but seems so at home out on the wing. If Banks wasn't at the Brumbies/got injured then Wright would be the only logical option to replace him, and it feels that way for test level atm as well, until Petaia can prove consistency and that he can kick as well/better.

JOC vs Lolesio - i'll wager Lolesio is the bloke that lifts the RWC and plays 100 tests at 10, but JOC has the experience/runs on the board atm and both are superb options, and excellent goal kickers.

10. JOC
11. MK
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Wright
15. Banks

22. Lolesio
23. Petaia

IMO, that's the best we can roll out atm, and it makes me turgid. Get Arnold back in combo with Neville (fudge Rodda the sook), with Phillip, LSL, Hosea and maybe Timani for depth, and a backrow of Valetini, Wilson and McReight/Hooper, and fudge me we have a special team lining up.

It's up to you now Mr Rennie!
Not enough Brumbies.
Morgan14

Post by Morgan14 »

Probably not the thread to post it, apologies if this is the case, but reading that Super Rugby viewing figures are up quite a bit in Australia (+144%?) thanks to Nine / Stan / FTA. Good crowds for Super Rguby AU too, i think. And perhaps best of all, player registrations up 16%

That's great news, so good to see some growth.

The Super Rugby AU matches have generally been excellent, I've really enjoyed them. Loads of young talent around, it seems. I know the Trans Tasman SR will give us further data on which to judge the teams and players, I'm looking forward to it.
towny

Post by towny »

Olo wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:12 pm BPA, FF and Uelese will be in the mix
Fainga’a? Maybe...

BPA yes. Uelese definitely!
towny

Post by towny »

shanky wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:05 am

:x

Be very careful
towny

Post by towny »

What are RA and the state unions doing to increase player registrations? Is it luck or good management?

This 16% increase (more than 20% in NSW) is the stat that matters most, though the TV ratings are nice too!
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Yeah a 144% rating increase is wild.

Going to be huge for sponsorship, and it doesn't hurt that the vast majority of games have been quality.
Morgan14

Post by Morgan14 »

Apparently driven by:
The impact is also being felt at the community level with a 16.4% surge in player registrations from the same time in 2019. This is largely due to the greater broadcast reach as well as dedicated marketing campaigns, further Sporting Schools integrations for Rugby, an increased rollout of Get Into Rugby programs and more Rugby Sevens competition opportunities.
I'm glad they used 2019 as the base year to compare against :)

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/ratings-u ... 21426-news
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Morgan14 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:38 pm Apparently driven by:
The impact is also being felt at the community level with a 16.4% surge in player registrations from the same time in 2019. This is largely due to the greater broadcast reach as well as dedicated marketing campaigns, further Sporting Schools integrations for Rugby, an increased rollout of Get Into Rugby programs and more Rugby Sevens competition opportunities.

"There are lies, damned lies, and statistics".
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Zakar wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:04 am
Slim 293 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:57 am First Wallabies squad for the year... a few surprises, but all hookers uncapped:
Allan Alaalatoa (27, Brumbies, 43 Tests)

Tim Anstee (23, Western Force, uncapped)

Tom Banks (26, Brumbies, 11 Tests)

Angus Bell (20, NSW Waratahs, 3 Tests)

Filipo Daugunu (26, Queensland Reds, 5 Tests)

Pone Fa'amausili (24, Melbourne Rebels, uncapped)

Jake Gordon (27, NSW Waratahs, 5 Tests)

Reece Hodge (26, Melbourne Rebels, 45 Tests)

Trevor Hosea (21, Melbourne Rebels, uncapped)

Len Ikitau (22, Brumbies, uncapped)

Feleti Kaitu’u (26, Western Force, uncapped)

Josh Kemeny (22, Melbourne Rebels, uncapped)

Marika Koroibete (28, Melbourne Rebels, 34 Tests)

Noah Lolesio (21, Brumbies, 2 Tests)

Lachlan Lonergan (21, Brumbies, uncapped)

Alex Mafi (24, Queensland Reds, uncapped)

Tate McDermott (22, Queensland Reds, 2 Tests)

Fraser McReight (22, Queensland Reds, 1 Test)

Andy Muirhead (27, Brumbies, uncapped)

Isi Naisarani (26, Melbourne Rebels, 8 Tests)

Cadeyrn Neville (32, Brumbies, uncapped)

James O’Connor (30, Queensland Reds, 55 Tests)

Hunter Paisami (22, Queensland Reds, 6 Tests)

Jordan Petaia (21, Queensland Reds, 8 Tests)

David Porecki (28, NSW Waratahs, uncapped)

Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (24, Queensland Reds, 25 Tests)

Pete Samu (29, Brumbies, 10 Tests)

Irae Simone (25, Brumbies, 2 Tests)

James Slipper (31, Brumbies, 100 Tests)

Darcy Swain (23, Brumbies, uncapped)

Lachlan Swinton (24, NSW Waratahs, 1 Test)

Sitaleki Timani (34, Western Force, 18 Tests)

Matt To’omua (31, Melbourne Rebels, 54 Tests)

Taniela Tupou (24, Queensland Reds, 25 Tests)

Seru Uru (24, Queensland Reds, uncapped)

Rob Valetini (22, Brumbies, 4 Tests)

Suliasi Vunivalu (25, Queensland Reds, uncapped)

Nic White (30, Brumbies, 37 Tests)

Harry Wilson (24, Queensland Reds, 6 Tests)

Tom Wright (23, Brumbies, 3 Tests)
From that grouo I'd pick

1. Slipper
2. Kaitu’u
3. Tupou
4. Hosea
5. LSL
6. Valetini
7. McReight
8. Wilson
9. White
10. JOC
11. Korobiete
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Petaia
15. Banks

16. Mafi
17. Bell
18. NRMA
19. Swain
20. Samu
21. McDermott
22. Toomua
23. Wright
This is the team I picked a few weeks ago.

I wouldn't make many changes - maybe Neville ahead of Swain, Perese ahead of Ikitau and Wright ahead of Petaia.

I do get the argument for 12. Toomua and 13. Paisami though, but its not who I'd go with.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Toomua seems to have lost a bit of his speed, or something. I would not pick him at 12.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

shanky wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:05 am

shanky

Post by shanky »

Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Zakar wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:09 pm
Slim 293 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:57 am First Wallabies squad for the year... a few surprises, but all hookers uncapped:

From that grouo I'd pick

1. Slipper
2. Kaitu’u
3. Tupou
4. Hosea
5. LSL
6. Valetini
7. McReight
8. Wilson
9. White
10. JOC
11. Korobiete
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Petaia
15. Banks

16. Mafi
17. Bell
18. NRMA
19. Swain
20. Samu
21. McDermott
22. Toomua
23. Wright

I wouldn't make many changes - maybe Neville ahead of Swain, Perese ahead of Ikitau and Wright ahead of Petaia.

I do get the argument for 12. Toomua and 13. Paisami though, but its not who I'd go with.

Form-wise... Neville is the first lock picked.

I'm not sure when Philip returns, but a Hosea/Neville locking partnership with LSL on the bench looks pretty good to me.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Slim 293 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:42 am

From that grouo I'd pick

1. Slipper
2. Kaitu’u
3. Tupou
4. Hosea
5. LSL
6. Valetini
7. McReight
8. Wilson
9. White
10. JOC
11. Korobiete
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Petaia
15. Banks

16. Mafi
17. Bell
18. NRMA
19. Swain
20. Samu
21. McDermott
22. Toomua
23. Wright

I'm not sure when Philip returns, but a Hosea/Neville locking partnership with LSL on the bench looks pretty good to me.
I think the issue is, these are your lineout callers

Qld: Scott-Young
Act: Swain
WA: thrush
Mel: not sure, but I don't think it is Hosea.
Nsw: who cares
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Paisami gone according to gagr. Broken jaw and eye socket.

Toomua has been rubbish. Not sure about 12 now. Maybe shift JOC out.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Zakar wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:47 am

From that grouo I'd pick

1. Slipper
2. Kaitu’u
3. Tupou
4. Hosea
5. LSL
6. Valetini
7. McReight
8. Wilson
9. White
10. JOC
11. Korobiete
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Petaia
15. Banks

16. Mafi
17. Bell
18. NRMA
19. Swain
20. Samu
21. McDermott
22. Toomua
23. Wright

Neville used to the Rebels primary caller when he was there...
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Bindi wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:48 am Paisami gone according to gagr. Broken jaw and eye socket.

So far it's just the word of a poster who heard a rumour, so hopefully it's not true...

I would've thought there would be official confirmation by now if it were that bad?

Otherwise Paisami is the first centre picked... preferably 12 to make room for an Ikitau or Perese at 13.

Petaia still doesn't have much between the ears to be starting... a good bench option though.
towny

Post by towny »

wamberal wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:57 pm
Morgan14 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:38 pm Apparently driven by:

"There are lies, damned lies, and statistics".
What are you actually saying?
towny

Post by towny »

The Petaia hate is pretty funny.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Slim 293 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:52 am
Zakar wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:47 am

From that grouo I'd pick

1. Slipper
2. Kaitu’u
3. Tupou
4. Hosea
5. LSL
6. Valetini
7. McReight
8. Wilson
9. White
10. JOC
11. Korobiete
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Petaia
15. Banks

16. Mafi
17. Bell
18. NRMA
19. Swain
20. Samu
21. McDermott
22. Toomua
23. Wright

Neville used to the Rebels primary caller when he was there...
Was he any good?

When did hookers stop calling the lineout. That was the glory days.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

towny wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:21 am The Petaia hate is pretty funny.
No hate, but he's currently not the best player in any position... but a good player to have on the bench to cover 13-15, likely as a wing replacement in the last half an hour of a game.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Id be giving Timani a go at lock. He is proven at that level albeit a few years ago, moves bodies, can bend the line, makes dominant tackles, pushes in the scrum and is a target in the lineout.
Surely Hosea calls - well, he was paired with Leota the other day and there is no way Leota calls. And I doubt its Kemeny, Hradwick, RHP, the other bloke that Dumbledore loves, or Naisarani.

You could have someone like Neville or Swain or that other Queenslander on the bench.

For me Timani and Hosea start.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Slim 293 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:26 am
towny wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:21 am The Petaia hate is pretty funny.
No hate, but he's currently not the best player in any position... but a good player to have on the bench to cover 13-15, likely as a wing replacement in the last half an hour of a game.
He is a great prospect but isnt the starter anywhere. Paisami is better at 12, Perese and Ikitau at 13, and Wright at 14. And MK at 11. And has Petaia ever played 15?
Why is that hate?
Towny has gone mad.