Wallabies 2021 OFFICIAL thread

All things Rugby
TranceNRG

Re: Wallabies 2021 OFFICIAL thread

Post by TranceNRG »

towny wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:02 am
TranceNRG wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:01 am
Zakar wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:45 am
TranceNRG wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:30 am Banks? GTFO! He's a solid player but not a great player and we've already found out he's a poor test player. I'd have Hodge ahead of him at 15. Even though Toomua is not in great form (partly due to Rebels' game plan) I'd have at 12. He's a better play maker than Paisami and has a good boot. Otherwise I like your starting 15.

I think on current form Perese deserves to be there ahead of Petaia. Petaia just doesn't have the composure for test rugby.
Banks has not been poor in any test he's played.
He wasn't great either, I remember him being pretty poor in attack.
And you remember Hodge showed more spark in his test appearances in the 15 jersey?
He was brilliant at 15 for Rebels when he played there and he has better potential than Banks.
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

towny wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:54 am
TranceNRG wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:30 am Banks? GTFO! He's a solid player but not a great player and we've already found out he's a poor test player. I'd have Hodge ahead of him at 15. Even though Toomua is not in great form (partly due to Rebels' game plan) I'd have at 12. He's a better play maker than Paisami and has a good boot. Otherwise I like your starting 15.

I think on current form Perese deserves to be there ahead of Petaia. Petaia just doesn't have the composure for test rugby.
So, even though Toomua and Hodge have poor form and Banks is running riot, you will go with the old guard based on how they dominated in the gold jersey...... er.... when was that exactly?

Petaia doesn't have the composure for test rugby, despite looking like a test star in all those previous attempts against the ABs and England? I think he's had one bad game at test level. But Perese does have the composure based on how he went in Super Rugby - did I get that right?

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Perese and think he will kill it, but your reasoning doesn't have any actual reason.
Hodge has played one good game in 2021 - he was at 12. I can't recall him making a break from fullback or setting up a winger in my life. He's a VERY good tackler, has got a tonne of guts and a cannon of a boot but Banks ha's been the best fullback in Super Rugby AU 2021 by a mile. I think he's played fullback 3 times at test level and one of those was a very good game. Can you tell me about the times Hodge has starred from the back?

Also, what is it about the Rebel's game plan that doesn't suit Toomua. He has a pack that regularly gets over the gain line and a halfback with an excellent pass. They have a world class winger always hanging around the inside shoulder looking for runs. Why can't Toomua make this work? His form is terrible and Simone, Paisami and Foketi are playing very well. I like Toomua and think he's a good 12, but he's pushing shit uphill to get a test jersey.
Petaia was very hot and cold at 13 last year. His defence is not great there and he often goes for the hail mary pass. He's probably a better winger at this stage anyway.
towny

Post by towny »

TranceNRG wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:06 am
towny wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:02 am
TranceNRG wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:01 am
Zakar wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:45 am

Banks has not been poor in any test he's played.
He wasn't great either, I remember him being pretty poor in attack.
And you remember Hodge showed more spark in his test appearances in the 15 jersey?
He was brilliant at 15 for Rebels when he played there and he has better potential than Banks.
So you should be able to easily demonstrate this brilliance with all the tries, metres gained, errors, etc?

This year his stats sucked. What year are you recalling this brilliance from? Was it in the games where DHP wasn’t playing?
towny

Post by towny »

TranceNRG wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:08 am
towny wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:54 am

So, even though Toomua and Hodge have poor form and Banks is running riot, you will go with the old guard based on how they dominated in the gold jersey...... er.... when was that exactly?

Petaia doesn't have the composure for test rugby, despite looking like a test star in all those previous attempts against the ABs and England? I think he's had one bad game at test level. But Perese does have the composure based on how he went in Super Rugby - did I get that right?

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Perese and think he will kill it, but your reasoning doesn't have any actual reason.
Hodge has played one good game in 2021 - he was at 12. I can't recall him making a break from fullback or setting up a winger in my life. He's a VERY good tackler, has got a tonne of guts and a cannon of a boot but Banks ha's been the best fullback in Super Rugby AU 2021 by a mile. I think he's played fullback 3 times at test level and one of those was a very good game. Can you tell me about the times Hodge has starred from the back?

Also, what is it about the Rebel's game plan that doesn't suit Toomua. He has a pack that regularly gets over the gain line and a halfback with an excellent pass. They have a world class winger always hanging around the inside shoulder looking for runs. Why can't Toomua make this work? His form is terrible and Simone, Paisami and Foketi are playing very well. I like Toomua and think he's a good 12, but he's pushing shit uphill to get a test jersey.
Petaia was very hot and cold at 13 last year. His defence is not great there and he often goes for the hail mary pass. He's probably a better winger at this stage anyway.
Hail Mary pass at test level? Can’t recall that. Which tests was he bad in? I didn’t like his last game against Argentina but thought he was excellent against the ABs. Keen to hear some details.
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

:lol: Pretty much every test he played in last year, he did plenty of dumb things. Just doesnt' have the composure to play 13 at test level.
Paisami on the other hand isn't as talented at Petaia but has better composure and does pretty much everything right.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Hodge is the player we will roll out for Italy.
He would be a great squad player but starts only if there are injuries.
Perese is a tough one. I really like him and think he would gun it at 13.
I just think I saw more with Ikitau. Both are great but if they do t start, aren’t in the squad.
Petaia, for all of Townys love, is not there in the top 2 inches yet. Bring him on anywhere in the outside backs with 15 to go and he will revel in the open space. Start him against The ABs and he will push passes that aren’t on and give away tries.
towny

Post by towny »

Farva wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:26 am Hodge is the player we will roll out for Italy.
He would be a great squad player but starts only if there are injuries.
Perese is a tough one. I really like him and think he would gun it at 13.
I just think I saw more with Ikitau. Both are great but if they do t start, aren’t in the squad.
Petaia, for all of Townys love, is not there in the top 2 inches yet. Bring him on anywhere in the outside backs with 15 to go and he will revel in the open space. Start him against The ABs and he will push passes that aren’t on and give away tries.
Except that he’s played the ABs multiple times and didn’t do those things. In actual fact, he physically dominated them and created opportunities out of nothing.

You guys are imagining what your hero might do and forgetting what actually happened when these guys played in real life.

Paisami is my boy, but he has a poor left to right pass. In fact, out of all of the legitimate centre options, he’d have the worse pass by a long way. I’m not saying this to rule him out - I’m just showing how you are cherry picking what you think is important, overlooking what is inconvenient and making up the rest.

You’re all going to be angry as hell when Petaia runs out against France, and when he dominates you’ll no doubt say it was great he finally got into form. Meanwhile, he was close to man of the match against the Brumbies and did little wrong last game.

Anyone that wants Hodge in the side over Petaia obviously hates Australian rugby. It’s akin to wanting Ben Alexander over Tupou. Short of injury, I can’t see how Hodge will play another test. There are 4+ blokes better in every position.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Petaia was a gun last year.
He hasn’t looked the same this year, and has been doing the things I said.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

wamberal wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:13 am I would not have Neville in the team, unless he shows that he can step against the Keewee teams. He has a tendency to go missing when the going gets tough.

Which game has he gone missing in this year? :?
towny

Post by towny »

Farva wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:44 pm Petaia was a gun last year.
He hasn’t looked the same this year, and has been doing the things I said.
And his last couple of games? Did you miss them?
But you said he didn’t have the top two inches for test rugby, so I thought test form, that you now suggest was excellent, was relevant.

Anyway, he’ll play and you’ll say he’s changed since …. Yada, yada, yada.

But I’ll remember 🤬
Last edited by towny on Sun May 02, 2021 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
towny

Post by towny »

Slim 293 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:46 pm
wamberal wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:13 am I would not have Neville in the team, unless he shows that he can step against the Keewee teams. He has a tendency to go missing when the going gets tough.

Which game has he gone missing in this year? :?
You won’t get an answer. Wamberal invents up vague criticisms for those that others like and imagines amazing performances from the players he chose to cheer for.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

You plums who think Banks is Latho 2.0 clearly don't have good memories. Latho may have taken a while to come good for the Wallabies, but he was a rugby God for the Reds for years. This was when they were at their absolute shittest - even the Richard Graham years seemed like the 2012 All Blacks in comparison. They were an embarrassment. Except for Latho. Though his forwards were getting hammered, he'd make length of the field runs around and over the opposition.

"Don't go, Latho" was the biggest grassroots movement QLD had ever seen when he considered moving on.

Banks occasionally looks OK behind a mostly dominant forward pack.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Banks was ok in all his tests at fullback. He was good under the high ball, kicked well and didn't miss his tackles.

He was quiet in attack, compared to how he plays for the Brumbies. That could be down to a number of factors - game plan, nervousness, or maybe his speed is nullified at test level.

I don't know how some have moved from those facts to "he's crap".
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Bindi wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:55 pm You plums who think Banks is Latho 2.0 clearly don't have good memories. Latho may have taken a while to come good for the Wallabies, but he was a rugby God for the Reds for years. This was when they were at their absolute shittest - even the Richard Graham years seemed like the 2012 All Blacks in comparison. They were an embarrassment. Except for Latho. Though his forwards were getting hammered, he'd make length of the field runs around and over the opposition.

"Don't go, Latho" was the biggest grassroots movement QLD had ever seen when he considered moving on.

Don't Go Latho still makes me weep.
Olo

Post by Olo »

Robertson is looking pretty good at LH. He did a number on AAA on Saturday to back up some decent performances of late. Could be a Smokey for the bench LH spot? In fact the all Wallaby front row at the Brums has looked decidedly average except when Slipper was at TH.

Banks is OK at best. He might come good in the test arena or he may just plod along not doing too much wrong. I guess he is a better option than RH........maybe. Someone needs to put their stamp on fullback. Wright looks sharp as ever
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Olo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:58 am Someone needs to put their stamp on fullback. Wright looks sharp as ever
Agree.
towny

Post by towny »

Bindi wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:55 pm You plums who think Banks is Latho 2.0 clearly don't have good memories. Latho may have taken a while to come good for the Wallabies, but he was a rugby God for the Reds for years. This was when they were at their absolute shittest - even the Richard Graham years seemed like the 2012 All Blacks in comparison. They were an embarrassment. Except for Latho. Though his forwards were getting hammered, he'd make length of the field runs around and over the opposition.

I have a bad memory? Latho became a test superstar in 2004 (wasn't in the 2003 RWC team), which means you're saying the Reds pack was an embarrassment in 2003 and the years before that, right?

1. Styles 2. Moore 3. Panaho
4. Vedalago 5. Sharpe
6. Cockbain 7. Croft
8. Kefu

4. Conners 5. Sharpe
6. Cockbain 7. Croft
8. Kefu

1. Styles 2. Foley 3. Panaho
4. Conners 5. Eales
6. Cockbain 7. Croft
8. Kefu

Maybe time to move the goalposts, eh?
towny

Post by towny »

Olo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:58 am Robertson is looking pretty good at LH. He did a number on AAA on Saturday to back up some decent performances of late. Could be a Smokey for the bench LH spot? In fact the all Wallaby front row at the Brums has looked decidedly average except when Slipper was at TH.

Banks is OK at best. He might come good in the test arena or he may just plod along not doing too much wrong. I guess he is a better option than RH........maybe. Someone needs to put their stamp on fullback. Wright looks sharp as ever
I like Robbo and think he's had a great year. Probably did the best out of all the LHPs against Tupou and he's able to play both sides.

It is worth keeping in mind that he has an 6'8" Tongan born locomotive launching him into these THPs. Timani is a force of nature.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

towny wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:14 am

I have a bad memory? Latho became a test superstar in 2004 (wasn't in the 2003 RWC team), which means you're saying the Reds pack was an embarrassment in 2003 and the years before that, right?

4. Vedalago 5. Sharpe
6. Cockbain 7. Croft
8. Kefu

4. Conners 5. Sharpe
6. Cockbain 7. Croft
8. Kefu

4. Conners 5. Eales
6. Cockbain 7. Croft
8. Kefu

Let's say it was 2005 he became a star.

Reds were 8th of 12 in 2003 and 10th of 12 in 2004 and 2005. They were shit (except for Latho)
towny

Post by towny »

wamberal wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:50 am
Olo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:58 am Someone needs to put their stamp on fullback. Wright looks sharp as ever
Agree.
Has he played fullback in his life? How is he under the high ball?
I think Wright is a star, but shuffling players around based on hunches isn't always wise. I remember when AAC had a blinder on the wing (in his debut maybe) so they put him to fullback against the ABs and he was awful. Think they dropped him after that. Hodge has been shuffled around so much that after 5 years he's mediocre in 5 positions.

Banks has been one of the best players all year, but because he didn't excel last year, we want to move a winger to fullback? There are plenty of similarities between 14 and 15, but there's still big differences and who knows if Wright is able to excel at these, especially when you want to find out in a test. Wouldn't it make more sense to keep Banks and Wright together in the back 3 and leverage the combination? I would have thought Wright's understanding of Ikitau and Banks would be an important factor into his selection.
towny

Post by towny »

Bindi wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:26 am

4. Vedalago 5. Sharpe
6. Cockbain 7. Croft
8. Kefu

4. Conners 5. Sharpe
6. Cockbain 7. Croft
8. Kefu

4. Conners 5. Eales
6. Cockbain 7. Croft
8. Kefu

Reds were 8th of 12 in 2003 and 10th of 12 in 2004 and 2005. They were shit (except for Latho)
So he wasn't a star in 2004? And instead of "he was a one-man band as the reds were an embarrassment for years..... " it's now "the Reds were far from an embarrassment and had a really strong pack except for one season....."

https://www.classicwallabies.com.au/pla ... ric-latham

Latham played in six of the opening seven Tests. He won selection to a second Rugby World Cup but only made one appearance, against Namibia in Adelaide.

Latham played in all 12 Wallaby Tests. He was a replacement in the opening four internationals and started at fullback in the final eight matches. Latham played his 50th Test in the 31-17 victory over Scotland in Glasgow.
Latho became a star in 2004 when he was 28/29 - his last test was in 2007.
There were years when he was a one-man team for the Reds, but that was when the Force arrived and stripped the Reds of forwards talent in 2006. But 2006 was Latho's second last year and he was very much a superstar by then.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

2004 was definitely Latham's breakthrough year at test level...

Prior to that his test form had not been great, and he only got his opportunity in 2004 when Roff's retirement came early when he picked up an injury against the PI team...

Following that he was consistently one of our best.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Latho made his debut in 1998 though. He wasn't exactly an old timer when he started to dominate.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

towny wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:39 am

4. Vedalago 5. Sharpe
6. Cockbain 7. Croft
8. Kefu

4. Conners 5. Sharpe
6. Cockbain 7. Croft
8. Kefu

4. Conners 5. Eales
6. Cockbain 7. Croft
8. Kefu

So he wasn't a star in 2004? And instead of "he was a one-man band as the reds were an embarrassment for years..... " it's now "the Reds were far from an embarrassment and had a really strong pack except for one season....."

Latham played in six of the opening seven Tests. He won selection to a second Rugby World Cup but only made one appearance, against Namibia in Adelaide.

Latham played in all 12 Wallaby Tests. He was a replacement in the opening four internationals and started at fullback in the final eight matches. Latham played his 50th Test in the 31-17 victory over Scotland in Glasgow.
There were years when he was a one-man team for the Reds, but that was when the Force arrived and stripped the Reds of forwards talent in 2006. But 2006 was Latho's second last year and he was very much a superstar by then.
Minor details. Perhaps my memories are not perfect, and the erasure of the Red's 2007 season under Eddie Jones was more complete than I thought.

Anyway, the fact remains the Reds were on the wrong half of the table. Brumbies are not. Banks isn't another Latho. More like Luke Morahan 2.0. :nod:
towny

Post by towny »

Bindi wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:52 am
towny wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:39 am

4. Vedalago 5. Sharpe
6. Cockbain 7. Croft
8. Kefu

4. Conners 5. Sharpe
6. Cockbain 7. Croft
8. Kefu

4. Conners 5. Eales
6. Cockbain 7. Croft
8. Kefu

Minor details. Perhaps my memories are not perfect, and the erasure of the Red's 2007 season under Eddie Jones was more complete than I thought.

Anyway, the fact remains the Reds were on the wrong half of the table. Brumbies are not. Banks isn't another Latho. More like Luke Morahan 2.0. :nod:
Yeah, your memory is poop. Latho did an ACL in one of the first games of 2007 and missed the season with Eddie Jones - he got back on the field for the RWC. Maybe you should go easy when you throw the 'fact' word around. ;)

And Banks is nothing like Morahan - who was a genius one week and then invisible for 3. Say what you want about Banks, but he isn't a genius and he doesn't go missing.

If you picked your 2004 Wallabies team on the form of previous years, you wouldn't have had Latho in it. Maybe you'd have thrown Mitchell or Hynes back there - to me that's the equivalent of putting Wright at fullback. But, they picked the fullback on 2004 form and that was Latho, who spent the next few years ripping teams up.

My point is that we should pick the best fullback in Australia to play for fullback for Australia. It just so happens, that he's got a very similar running style, is about the same size, has a similar boot and runs similar lines to Chris Latham. He's also a late bloomer to the great man.

Hence - Latho 2.0
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

Comparing Latham to a journeyman like Banks :lol: Latho was bigger and had a far bigger boot. More importantly he was great in attack whereas Banks wouldn't threaten a pub team.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

TranceNRG wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:22 am Comparing Latham to a journeyman like Banks :lol: Latho was bigger and had a far bigger boot. More importantly he was great in attack whereas Banks wouldn't threaten a pub team.
And yet, first in the competition for clean breaks and fifth for defenders beaten.... :roll:
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Slim 293 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:36 am
TranceNRG wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:22 am Comparing Latham to a journeyman like Banks :lol: Latho was bigger and had a far bigger boot. More importantly he was great in attack whereas Banks wouldn't threaten a pub team.
And yet, first in the competition for clean breaks and fifth for defenders beaten.... :roll:
:lol:

Murdered by words.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

There're comp stats? Linky?
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

Perhaps it's more to do with the quality of Super rugby AU. How did he go in tests last year? Quiet as a mouse. He's another Jesse Mogg.
towny

Post by towny »

Zakar wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:47 am
:lol:

Murdered by words.
😂
towny

Post by towny »

TranceNRG wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:15 am
Perhaps it's more to do with the quality of Super rugby AU. How did he go in tests last year? Quiet as a mouse. He's another Jesse Mogg.
Jesse Mogg collapsed in a heap and Banks didn’t.

If he was tracking Latho’s career, at the same stage he is actually ahead.
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

No.
towny

Post by towny »

TranceNRG wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:18 am No.
Want some more facts or is it better for you to try and remember how you felt 16 years ago?
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

I wanna see these 'facts'. Could well be true, or could be something some random made up and posted on a chat bored.

Jock Campbell played fewer minutes, so would be interesting to compare his stats for the year.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Of the fullbacks the Wallabies fielded last year? He was easily the best...

Banks has definitely looked better this year - I think he's regained some of that speed he lost last year through recurring injuries after Super Rugby was cancelled... he was smashing it during SR but had clearly lost some pace when he finally came back into Super Rugby Au, and certainly wasn't the same attacking threat he was prior.

If you go back and watch the Brumbies demolition of the Chiefs in February last year, he's accelerating through the defensive line from a standing start.
Last edited by Slim 293 on Mon May 03, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Olo

Post by Olo »

Wright will be there as a winger but has all the skills, much like Petaia. Banks had one of his best games on the weekend but so far has been unable to be effective in attack in test rugby. Maybe this is the year?
towny

Post by towny »

Slim 293 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:58 am

Of the fullbacks the Wallabies fielded last year? He was easily the best...

Banks has definitely looked better this year - I think he's regained some of that speed he lost last year through recurring injuries after Super Rugby was cancelled... he was smashing it during SR but had clearly lost some pace when he finally came back into Super Rugby Au, and certainly wasn't the same attacking threat he was prior.

If you go back and watch the Brumbies demolition of the Chiefs in February last year, he's accelerating through the defensive line from a standing start.
Banks played well in the first test against the kiwis iirc.
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

If Hodge is the alternative lock Banks in for the next five years.

I don't think he's amazing, and he hasn't shown a heap to suggest he'll step up at Test level, but he's been the best fullback in Australia this year and at a certain point that should be rewarded. Put Wright and Koroibete on either side of him and you're looking at a decent back three.

I wouldn't let Hodge or Toomua anywhere near the squad based on their performance this year. Wasn't even apathetic Nonu vibes, they were actively shithouse and made the players around them worse.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Dumbledore wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:06 am If Hodge is the alternative lock Banks in for the next five years.

I don't think he's amazing, and he hasn't shown a heap to suggest he'll step up at Test level, but he's been the best fullback in Australia this year and at a certain point that should be rewarded. Put Wright and Koroibete on either side of him and you're looking at a decent back three.

I wouldn't let Hodge or Toomua anywhere near the squad based on their performance this year. Wasn't even apathetic Nonu vibes, they were actively shithouse and made the players around them worse.
Which goes back to my earlier comment that we could consider Maddocks at 15. We havent had any standout 15s this year. Jock Campbell has defensive frailties , Banks hasnt set the world on fire, Hodge is one dimensional, Kearney doesnt qualify, McGregor has awful hair (and is a club level player).
Maddocks has been surrounded by mediocrity so was really the only exciting player in that backline. His 10 was awful, his wings were lacking, his centres were average (until Perese came along, then they were good). He got no platform from his forwards. In the Wallabies he might be a different player. He certainly has all the attributes of a good 15.