Farva

Re: Wallabies 2021 OFFICIAL thread

Post by Farva »

Cabouse isnt eligible? Well that sucks.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Vunivalu might be a shout.
I thought Wright was an 11 - Muirhead was the 14? If he is 14 then we are good.
Daugunu treats defence as though he was selected in the Waratah's super rugby team.
Petaia is struggling with the top 2 inches right now.
towny

Post by towny »

Farva wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:57 am Vunivalu might be a shout.
Daugunu treats defence as though he was selected in the Waratah's super rugby team.
Petaia has played multiple tests against the best teams in the world and made world class players look like his bitch. Keep your little cliches about inches - the scoreboard tells a different story. He will be a world class player.

Wright looked fine at 14 last year in the tests - that was my point there. He's a gun - he can probably play most of the positions in the backline.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Mate, Petaia looked like a gun in his first season.
This year he has pushed passes, tried to score off of every touch, has fumbled, and has not looked the same player. He looks to be the guy that has always been head and shoulders above the competition from natural talents suddenly finding himself playing against guys that are his equal and he isnt dominating and doesnt know why.
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

Koteka :lol: I'd rather send Guy Smiley out there.

Good post Towny. Freak beasts only.

And Paisami can playmake plenty from 12. Remember when Hodge was made flyhalf because reasons? Paisami spent the first half babysitting him then decided he'd had enough and started running the show himself. Besides, he's actually really good and shit.
towny

Post by towny »

Farva wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:50 am Mate, Petaia looked like a gun in his first season.
This year he has pushed passes, tried to score off of every touch, has fumbled, and has not looked the same player. He looks to be the guy that has always been head and shoulders above the competition from natural talents suddenly finding himself playing against guys that are his equal and he isnt dominating and doesnt know why.
Who exactly are his equals?

His first season was 2018 when Cheika selected him for the Wallabies a few days after he turned 18 - he injured himself in the lead-up and didn't play. In the Super Rugby he dominated against NZ Super Rugby teams? Are these easy beats?
In 2019 he went great and looked like a star at the RWC. Was the English team not his equals?
Last year he was inconsistent but he was on the few Wallabies that looked a class above his opposite in the tests. He was up against Anton Lienert-Brown. Were the All Blacks not his equals?
This year his form has been disappointing, but he did score a freak, winning try against the Brumbies and in his second game against the Brumbies was one of the best on the paddock. Were they not his equals?

Meanwhile, Toni fcuking Pulu is a 47 year old journeyman and you want him in the squad because..... reasons?

Who exactly are his equals? Toni fcuking Pulu? A 47 year old journeyman.... who else? Alex Newsome?
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Dumbledore wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:11 am Koteka :lol: I'd rather send Guy Smiley out there.

And Paisami can playmake plenty from 12. Remember when Hodge was made flyhalf because reasons? Paisami spent the first half babysitting him then decided he'd had enough and started running the show himself. Besides, he's actually really good and shit.
Koteka is legitimately one of the strangest calls I've ever read on this board.

7s id have over Koteka

Hooper
McReight
McMahon
Gill
Wright
Dick Harddick
Carlo Tizzano
Jarred Butler
Colby 'cheese fingers' Faainga
Will Miller (straight out of Shoalies 1sts)
Rory Scott

...and that may seem harsh, but Im not even shitting on Koteka. He's a solid pro. But to call for him to make the Wallabies squad is goo goo ga ga levels of insanity.
The Optimist

Post by The Optimist »

Petaia looks like dogshit. Granted he was good in his 1st season, he has been found wanting.

So Towny your 2 playmakers are JOC and To'omua? Ease of the booze FFS. When you have a shit season your reward is you sit next to Clive Palmer and announce your Southport debut... you don't make the Wallabies 23.

Agree about Pulu FFS. We don't expect a player to all of a sudden become world class in his 10th season.

Lot of great comments.
Farva

Post by Farva »

I don’t think Koteka should be in the Wallabies.
There are no other standout 7s other than McReight so my reflex is to stick the Force player there.
Farva

Post by Farva »

towny wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:20 am
Farva wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:50 am Mate, Petaia looked like a gun in his first season.

His first season was 2018 when Cheika selected him for the Wallabies a few days after he turned 18 - he injured himself in the lead-up and didn't play. In the Super Rugby he dominated against NZ Super Rugby teams? Are these easy beats?
In 2019 he went great and looked like a star at the RWC. Was the English team not his equals?
Last year he was inconsistent but he was on the few Wallabies that looked a class above his opposite in the tests. He was up against Anton Lienert-Brown. Were the All Blacks not his equals?
This year his form has been disappointing, but he did score a freak, winning try against the Brumbies and in his second game against the Brumbies was one of the best on the paddock. Were they not his equals?

Meanwhile, Toni fcuking Pulu is a 47 year old journeyman and you want him in the squad because..... reasons?

Who exactly are his equals? Toni fcuking Pulu? A 47 year old journeyman.... who else? Alex Newsome?
Not me wanting Pulu. Rennie.
Does Dave Rennie not know what he is doing?

And he might have scored the match winning try against the Brumbies. But he nearly did the opposite at the start. And last year was last year. Tim Horan had a phenomenal 1999 Super season. Maybe we should pick him on past experience.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Farva wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:28 pm I don’t think Koteka should be in the Wallabies.
There are no other standout 7s other than McReight so my reflex is to stick the Force player there.
Well Hardwick is basically a force player
Farva

Post by Farva »

Zakar wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:31 pm
Farva wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:28 pm I don’t think Koteka should be in the Wallabies.
Well Hardwick is basically a force player
So is Tizzano.
But neither are there now.
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

Zakar wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:57 am
Dumbledore wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:11 am Koteka :lol: I'd rather send Guy Smiley out there.

7s id have over Koteka

Hooper
McReight
McMahon
Gill
Wright
Dick Harddick
Carlo Tizzano
Jarred Butler
Rory Scott

...and that may seem harsh, but Im not even shitting on Koteka. He's a solid pro. But to call for him to make the Wallabies squad is goo goo ga ga levels of insanity.
I think every now and then Force types sneak one of their duds in (FLW, Pulu etc.) to see if anyone is paying attention to them. Koteka is properly mental stuff.

Petaia hasn't had an amazing year, but he's had to play with Hamish Stewart and Bryce Hegarty so I don't blame him too much. Give him or Wright one of the wings, not fussed either way.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Dumbledore wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:37 pm

7s id have over Koteka

Hooper
McReight
McMahon
Gill
Wright
Dick Harddick
Carlo Tizzano
Jarred Butler
Rory Scott

I think every now and then Force types sneak one of their duds in (FLW, Pulu etc.) to see if anyone is paying attention to them. Koteka is properly mental stuff.

Petaia hasn't had an amazing year, but he's had to play with Hamish Stewart and Bryce Hegarty so I don't blame him too much. Give him or Wright one of the wings, not fussed either way.
Hamish Stewarts performance at 10 reminded me of when I got shoved there for a 3rd game once. I knew what to do in theory, but everything I did was so pre determined, I basically was chiselling it out on stone tablets.

Reading the defense is for pussies anyway :x
towny

Post by towny »

Farva wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:31 pm

And he might have scored the match winning try against the Brumbies. But he nearly did the opposite at the start. And last year was last year. Tim Horan had a phenomenal 1999 Super season. Maybe we should pick him on past experience.
He must want someone quick to fetch the stars cold drinks.
towny

Post by towny »

Zakar wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:43 pm
Dumbledore wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:37 pm

7s id have over Koteka

Hooper
McReight
McMahon
Gill
Wright
Dick Harddick
Carlo Tizzano
Jarred Butler
Rory Scott

Hamish Stewarts performance at 10 reminded me of when I got shoved there for a 3rd game once. I knew what to do in theory, but everything I did was so pre determined, I basically was chiselling it out on stone tablets.

Reading the defense is for pussies anyway :x
Hamish is an excellent tackler but it’s a myth that he’s some guru defender.
towny

Post by towny »

Farva wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:31 pm

What was last year? It was a couple of months ago:
Game 1: Freak stuff off Paisami kick
Game 2: Jumped for the winning try, kicked well and smashed anyone that got near him; including number 8’s that like the sideline.

Do you watch for games or just the headlines at perthnow.com ?
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Vunivalu is awesome.

Surely in the absence of a lefty, 11 and 14 are interchangeable with a minimum of fuss. I can't image that's a huge issue.

Petaia to me has always looked like someone with great natural ability and potential but who has never played up to it on the big statge. He doesn't even really stand out in Super Rugby really. At least not as much as the hype. This will no doubt make towns froth, but gotta call it as I see it.
towny

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:50 pm
Vunivalu is awesome.

Surely in the absence of a lefty, 11 and 14 are interchangeable with a minimum of fuss. I can't image that's a huge issue.

Petaia to me has always looked like someone with great natural ability and potential but who has never played up to it on the big statge. He doesn't even really stand out in Super Rugby really. At least not as much as the hype. This will no doubt make towns froth, but gotta call it as I see it.
He nailed it in Bledisloes and at the World Cup - you missed those or aren’t they big enough stages? 😉
Mog The Almighty

towny wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:54 pm
Vunivalu is awesome.

He nailed it in Bledisloes and at the World Cup - you missed those or aren’t they big enough stages? 😉
He was good in a couple of matches for sure.
towny

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:05 pm
Vunivalu is awesome.

Yes. A couple of matches on the biggest stage. And it was more than a couple to be fair.

And…… other than his mixed form this Super Rugby season, he’s looked like a million dollars since 2018 against all-comers.

Fact.
Mog The Almighty

towny wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:09 pm
Vunivalu is awesome.

Yes. A couple of matches on the biggest stage. And it was more than a couple to be fair.

And…… other than his mixed form this Super Rugby season, he’s looked like a million dollars since 2018 against all-comers.

Fact.
:? Hmmm. I am not convinced. But I like your optimism.
towny

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:19 pm
towny wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:09 pm
Vunivalu is awesome.

Fact.
:? Hmmm. I am not convinced. But I like your optimism.
If he’s not in form he’ll miss out. If he gets his form he’s a walk-up start. His form in 2021 hasn’t been good enough to get in front of others that are playing well.
FairWeather_Aussie

Post by FairWeather_Aussie »

Petiai is a mixed bag. He’s obviously got a lot of ability, but needs to work on his rugby brain. Hopefully that can be coached into him, but he’s definitely work in progress at the moment.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

I think he's looked better on the ding this year, but I'd be keen to see him have a go at 15.

He's not really had time to develop his decision making
Hes only 21 or something, and he's been injured a lot in the last 3 seasons.
towny

Post by towny »

2 years ago we had Hodge on the wing - a.k.a. ”The White Newsome”. Now we are trying to squeeze MK, Vunivalu, Petaia and Wright and into 2 spots. When Kerevi comes back, he will taking the spot of Perese, Paisami or Len Ikitau. Perese is the old man of the bunch - he’s 24. Not a Ryan Cross or Tahu in sight.

Latho 2.0

Joe Powell isn’t a shot and there’s no Phipps anywhere near the team. We’ve got Gordo and Tate, plus others coming up behind them.

Big Harry is still 21. Valetini is 22. Thor is 24. Hooper is back soon.

I can feel it.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Dan McKellar appointed Wallabies forwards’ coach…

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/super-rug ... ach-202167
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

I still like Hodge in a horses for courses kind of way.

Sometimes, you need a solid as fudge guy that can kick the ball over them there mountains. Like, a wet as fudge match versus the Bokke with someone named Steyn in the team.

He's a perfect squad guy, that can cover a lot of positions in a pinch, but shouldn't be in your starting side, and hopefully you won't necessarily even need him on the bench. He's the perfect guy to start at 10 versus Namibia in the world cup.

Sooner or later kiwis will realise Jordie Barrett is the Brown Hodge.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Zakar wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:32 pm Sooner or later kiwis will realise Jordie Barrett is the Brown Hodge.
I hope they don't, tbh.

He's the least talented of the Barrett brothers...not the dumbest though.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

How many guys do we have currently playing that are elite athletes versus their peers in intl rugby?

Nos Longeran
Tupou
Frost (although he's nowhere near ready, like 3-4 years away at least, but he's got the explosive ability and pace)
Valentini
Hooper
McMahon
Wilson
Petaia
Kerevi
Korobiete
Vunivalu
Paisami?
Wright?
McReight?
shanky

Post by shanky »

Hosea
The Australian Parisse
Perese

Would all be considered elite athletes IMO
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

shanky wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:41 pm Hosea
The Australian Parisse
Perese

Would all be considered elite athletes IMO
:thumbup:

Good shout on all.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Hosea won a lineout on the weekend without needing lifters
:shock:
That’s Eales and Itoje territory.
Farva

Post by Farva »

The kiwis won a number of lineouts on the weekend without needing lifters. It was won typically by the centres though. And it was off of an Australian throw in the lineout.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Farva wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:56 pm The kiwis won a number of lineouts on the weekend without needing lifters. It was won typically by the centres though. And it was off of an Australian throw in the lineout.
ho ho ho
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

towny wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:23 am If Kerevi signs for the 2023 season he’s eligible this year.
Kerevi is managed by Anthony Picone…

I wouldn’t expect to see him back at the Reds again.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Slim 293 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:43 am
towny wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:23 am If Kerevi signs for the 2023 season he’s eligible this year.

He'll play for the Tahs. Picone has been barred from the Reds.
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

Zakar wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:32 pm I still like Hodge in a horses for courses kind of way.

Sometimes, you need a solid as fudge guy that can kick the ball over them there mountains. Like, a wet as fudge match versus the Bokke with someone named Steyn in the team.

He's a perfect squad guy, that can cover a lot of positions in a pinch, but shouldn't be in your starting side, and hopefully you won't necessarily even need him on the bench. He's the perfect guy to start at 10 versus Namibia in the world cup.

Sooner or later kiwis will realise Jordie Barrett is the Brown Hodge.
He has never, ever, done this though. It's an absolute myth. He kicks it 15 metres down field, 55 metres into the stands. He also misses all the long range shots he's meant to be there for. He's just no good. Would have been close to the worst player for the Rebels this year, before he got injured, if To'omua hadn't been out there. We will never win anything while guys like him are getting games. If he's getting picked against Namibia to put players who matter in cotton wool that's fine, but that should be the absolute limit of his involvement.

Along with towny's freak beast athletes theory, I'd be putting a line through anyone who can't pass. Which means To'omua and Hodge can both sit at home and do some practice.
Olo

Post by Olo »

Thomas wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:50 am
Slim 293 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:43 am

He'll play for the Tahs. Picone has been barred from the Reds.
Could be useful at the Rebs or Force as well? Charity suggests that the Tahs should have him.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Freaks 15

Bell
Longeran
Tupou
Hosea
Frost (I'd sub in Neville here - he's a pretty bloody good athlete, ex-AIS rower, and a better combination with Hosea)
Valetini
Hooper
Wilson
Tate? (Fines probably the better athlete, but Tate is a more realistic prospect.)
JOC
Korobiete
Paisami
Perese
Vunivalu
Petaia

That's not bad. Might be weak in scrums.