Wallabies 2021 OFFICIAL thread

All things Rugby
Zakar

Re: Wallabies 2021 OFFICIAL thread

Post by Zakar »

Olo wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:23 am Paisami has the potential to become a world class 12 over time.
Sure.

He could have all the tools, other than maybe being slightly undersized (plays 10kg heavier than he is though).
towny

Post by towny »

Perese has more potential than Paisami imo.
towny

Post by towny »

wamberal wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:28 am We need to have a few players who are genuinely world class if we are any hope of winning the big prizes. Not just "in the discussion".

My picks would be: Tupou, Bell, Rodha, Petaia, Vunivalu.
Rodda? Really? You think he’s got more potential than Valetini or Wilson? I would have him well down on the list.
Olo

Post by Olo »

towny wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:09 am Perese has more potential than Paisami imo.
Perese is a blunt instrument and Paisami is learning his craft.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Rennie has called two players into his squad at Sanctuary Cove as injury cover.

Brumbies hooker Connal McInerney will cover for fellow fresh face Feleti Kaitu’u and Irae Simone has replaced Izaia Perese, who suffered a subluxation of his shoulder in the Waratahs’ final match of the season.
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/ ... 582ls.html
towny

Post by towny »

Olo wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:50 am
towny wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:09 am Perese has more potential than Paisami imo.
Perese is a blunt instrument and Paisami is learning his craft.
Perese has a great skillset for a blunt instrument. He’s is only 1 year older than Paisami and has played far less rugby in his senior career, so I’m not sure how his development arc should be further advanced.

imo, Perese has more sheer talent than all but a few Australian players of the previous decade. Talent isn’t enough on its own, but in terms of skills and athleticism he skins Paisami.
towny

Post by towny »

Slim 293 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:12 am

Brumbies hooker Connal McInerney will cover for fellow fresh face Feleti Kaitu’u and Irae Simone has replaced Izaia Perese, who suffered a subluxation of his shoulder in the Waratahs’ final match of the season.
Rennie really doesn’t rate Uelese 😳
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

towny wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:58 am

His problem is that he can't throw a consistent line-out.

Any world-beating team is going to be winning the vast majority of their line-outs. If you're losing half of them, you can still limp home against weaker opposition on the back of dominance elsewhere, but if it's half-close you're going to get smashed losing line-out ball. It's very under-rated and part of the reason I have been on the "big, jumping back-rowers bandwagon" for so long. A few sweet pilfers from a short-ass fetcher is cool when it happens but ultimately worthless if you lose it again at the next line-out.

Uelese just can't throw to save himself. It's way too big a liability.
The Optimist

Post by The Optimist »

Uelese has a proven track record of failing abjectly and consistently. He is a known entity.

Doing the same thing and expecting a different result... etc.

Rennie is alright.
towny

Post by towny »

The Optimist wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:13 am Uelese has a proven track record of failing abjectly and consistently. He is a known entity.

Doing the same thing and expecting a different result... etc.

Rennie is alright.
Can you think of any examples of failure?
towny

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:06 am

Any world-beating team is going to be winning the vast majority of their line-outs. If you're losing half of them, you can still limp home against weaker opposition on the back of dominance elsewhere, but if it's half-close you're going to get smashed losing line-out ball. It's very under-rated and part of the reason I have been on the "big, jumping back-rowers bandwagon" for so long. A few sweet pilfers from a short-ass fetcher is cool when it happens but ultimately worthless if you lose it again at the next line-out.

I'd be keen to see some lineout stats.
Scrum wise, Uelese is generally regarded as the best scrummaging hooker in the country.

My feeling is that he plays like a 3rd prop rather than a 4th backrower - Rennie seems to want pace and high work-rate from his hooker. Of all the contenders, Uelese would be the slowest of the lot. Maybe he has to move to pro.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Ryan Lonergan also joined the squad last week due to Jake Gordon’s injury………
towny

Post by towny »

Slim 293 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:39 am Ryan Lonergan also joined the squad last week due to Jake Gordon’s injury………
He’s got heaps of talent but very green. The time in camp will be great for him - he’s got a lot of offer.

Hosea is another one that’s been in camp - might have been cover for Swinton so not sure if he’s still hanging around now the boofhead’s been cleared.

I hope so.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Stop kidding yourselves FFS. I haven't read this much rubbish, since I looked at MACV's appreciation of how they were winning the war in 1967 - just before the Tet Offensive.

There are only a few players in this mob who have the talent to make a world XV, and they are not there yet. Harry Wilson is one, Tupou possibly, Koroibete. Why don't you lot see if you can select a couple more?

Edit: They might need to have rock solid defence to even be considered.
Last edited by Ellafan on Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
towny

Post by towny »

Ellafan wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:10 pm Stop kidding yourselves FFS. I haven't tread this much rubbish, since I looked at MACV's appreciation of how they were winning the war in 1967 - just before the Tet Offensive.

There are only a few players in this mob who have the talent to make a world XV, and they are not there yet. Harry Wilson is one, Tupou possibly, Koroibete. Why don't you lot see if you can select a couple more?

P.S. - They might need to have rock solid defence to even be considered.

How does Harry Wilson's defensive stats compare against Valetini this year? What's Hooper's defence like?
Olo

Post by Olo »

towny wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:23 am

Scrum wise, Uelese is generally regarded as the best scrummaging hooker in the country.

My feeling is that he plays like a 3rd prop rather than a 4th backrower - Rennie seems to want pace and high work-rate from his hooker. Of all the contenders, Uelese would be the slowest of the lot. Maybe he has to move to pro.
I’d guess that his lineout numbers and scrum stats are the best of the Oz hookers. Thats right, hes a bit slower around the paddock although hes good for a little burst of speed here and there. Hes very strong over the pill. Fitness is his issue, but it could just be his body shape. He has tree trunks for legs and does play more like a prop.
If he could knuckle down, lose a few kgs, and gain a little speed it would help. Right now he is in and out of the game too much for Rennies liking I reckon.
towny

Post by towny »

Olo wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:16 pm

I’d guess that his lineout numbers and scrum stats are the best of the Oz hookers. Thats right, hes a bit slower around the paddock although hes good for a little burst of speed here and there. Hes very strong over the pill. Fitness is his issue, but it could just be his body shape. He has tree trunks for legs and does play more like a prop.
If he could knuckle down, lose a few kgs, and gain a little speed it would help. Right now he is in and out of the game too much for Rennies liking I reckon.
I think that’s a pretty fair run-down, though I’m not sure about the lineout stats.
Mog The Almighty

Olo wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:16 pm

He's not in the squad because he couldn't hit a bull in the arse with a shovel full of corn and it's a massive liability.

If his lineout stats are the best in Australia then we're completely fůcked and may as well give up now.

If the Rebels have the best scrum in Aus rugby I'd be surprised. But a scrum is an eight man job, unlike lineout throwing.

In short, I disagree with most of what you said.

:P
Olo

Post by Olo »

During SRAU his lineout stats were the best. Someone dig them up please. I cannot find them.

None of our hookers are good at lineout throwing but he was the best of a bad bunch.
Mog The Almighty

Olo wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:44 am During SRAU his lineout stats were the best. Someone dig them up please. I cannot find them.

None of our hookers are good at lineout throwing but he was the best of a bad bunch.
I must admit, I haven't looked at any stats, I'm just going on gut feel. It seems that every time the pressure was on he threw it crooked, over the top or it got pinched.

Much like Joe Powell with his clearing box kicks that seemed to get charged down 50% of the time.

From these basic stats it seems the Rebels had the worst lineout in the SRAU and their scrum was behind both the Reds and the Waratahs:

https://super.rugby/superrugby/competition-stats/

Maybe I'm wrong about this though. Maybe you know something I do not.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

As an aside, it's criminal how difficult it is to find player stats for rugby.

Compare it to American sports, Football or Cricket and its appalling.

That data is held by the union or comps, but bogarted for some reason.
Mog The Almighty

Zakar wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:38 am As an aside, it's criminal how difficult it is to find player stats for rugby.

Well, line-out win % is a pretty solid one for our purposes I think.

Could have # of crooked throws or whatever I guess but it's not really needed here.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Olo wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:44 am During SRAU his lineout stats were the best. Someone dig them up please. I cannot find them.

Its losing pressure throws, every Oz hooker did so during Super rugby, needs a working line out but its a woeful skill we cant master.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:09 am
Zakar wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:38 am As an aside, it's criminal how difficult it is to find player stats for rugby.

Could have # of crooked throws or whatever I guess but it's not really needed here.
I was talking generally, but how many of those lineout losses were with him at hooker, versus James Hanson etc?
Mog The Almighty

Zakar wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:11 am

I was talking generally, but how many of those lineout losses were with him at hooker, versus James Hanson etc?
I dunno.

But his throwing is squirly. Just watch a couple of matches. Olo's been drinking vodka for breakfast.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:56 am
Zakar wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:11 am

I dunno.

But his throwing is squirly. Just watch a couple of matches. Olo's been drinking vodka for breakfast.
I don't disagree, but my point wasn't really to do with Uelese, it was availability of stats in general.

If you asked me who the most accurate quarterback was in 2004 I reckon I could find it in 2 minutes.

Edit: trent green 66.4%, less than 2 mins.
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

As someone who's watched more of the Rebels than anyone should, Uelese is not a good lineout thrower. He's not as bad as everyone says, but you wouldn't trust him.

He is an outrageously strong scrummarger though. It's actually insane to watch the difference when he's on an off. Especially since the Rebels pack often consisted of midget locks, bench props from Melbourne club rugby, and Elhoff playing on the wrong side when Pone got injured.

That said, he doesn't offer much of anything around the park, and he's brittle as. Good over the ball when he's there, because he's so strong, but you couldn't exactly say he does it often. If he could sort his throwing out you'd pick him as a set piece beast who could come on and hold things together, but until then... I will still fight Rennie if he picks Porecki before him though
towny

Post by towny »

Should Uelese look at a move to THP?
Mog The Almighty

towny wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:46 pm Should Uelese look at a move to THP?
Never heard of that transition before. I'm sure it's happened at some time, but I think hooker <---> loosehead is the more common move. Those are the two who are working together in the scrum. Relatively anyway.

Anyway, f-cked if I know. I played a bit of loosehead (and even a couple of training matches at hooker) but I'm sure what those guys are doing is at such a higher level it would be a totally different thing. it seems like a pretty big adjustment this late in the game to go to tighthead (or loosehead for that matter), but I guess it can and has been done.
towny

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:01 pm
Never heard of that transition before. I'm sure it's happened at some time, but I think hooker <---> loosehead is the more common move. Those are the two who are working together in the scrum. Relatively anyway.

Anyway, f-cked if I know. I played a bit of loosehead (and even a couple of training matches at hooker) but I'm sure what those guys are doing is at such a higher level it would be a totally different thing. it seems like a pretty big adjustment this late in the game to go to tighthead (or loosehead for that matter), but I guess it can and has been done.
John Smit is one of the greatest hookers of all time and yet played a tonne of tests at THP My mate Pete did it; albeit at a lower level. 🙂
TheSmurf

Post by TheSmurf »

I played a game against John Smith in high school. He played LH... We were about 4 leagues below Pretoria Boys High so they were buggering around, he normally played TH at school...
It was a nothing match, I'm not Globusing here.
Mog The Almighty

towny wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:51 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:01 pm

John Smit is one of the greatest hookers of all time and yet played a tonne of tests at THP My mate Pete did it; albeit at a lower level. 🙂
I thought Smit played loosehead and hooker ... ?

Anyway at 125kg or whatever he was, he could have played anywhere in the front row and maybe he did.

But even in his case, I think he was a loosie prop first and then went to hooker. I dunno, but I suspect it's harder to go the other way around.

edit #2: I wrote this without reading the post above mine. for whatever that is worth. lol.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
towny

Post by towny »

TheSmurf wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:12 pm I played a game against John Smith in high school. He played LH... We were about 4 leagues below Pretoria Boys High so they were buggering around, he normally played TH at school...
Wow! You played against an all time great rugby player. I was run over by a few blokes that went on to do some cool stuff, but nothing close to this.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:58 am

I must admit, I haven't looked at any stats, I'm just going on gut feel. It seems that every time the pressure was on he threw it crooked, over the top or it got pinched.

Much like Joe Powell with his clearing box kicks that seemed to get charged down 50% of the time.

From these basic stats it seems the Rebels had the worst lineout in the SRAU and their scrum was behind both the Reds and the Waratahs:

https://super.rugby/superrugby/competition-stats/

Maybe I'm wrong about this though. Maybe you know something I do not.

I have to defend Powell here…

He never had an issue being charged down at the Brumbies, and was often integral at clearing the ball from inside the 22m.

The Rebels forwards routinely failed to set up adequate blockers for him… really amateur stuff.

If Aaron Smith played for the Rebels, you’d have blood pouring out of your ears by the final siren.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

TheSmurf wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:12 pm I played a game against John Smith in high school. He played LH... We were about 4 leagues below Pretoria Boys High so they were buggering around, he normally played TH at school...
That's pretty cool.

Best I've got is Pek Cowan... and I was at 15 that game, so didn't see much of him :lol:

Played with and against multiple league internationals though :smug:
Last edited by Zakar on Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

I find it difficult to believe that a good skills coach cannot teach Uelese how to throw the bloody ball. When Brad Thorn switched to rugby he had to learn a lot of new skills.

Many years ago, I worked in a large computer services company. The boss had a favourite saying whenever a customer demanded a new feature in our software: "It's simply a matter of programming".

SMOP. Or in this case - SMOL. It's simply a matter of learning.
Olo

Post by Olo »

None of the Oz hookers are consistently accurate at lineout throwing. That is not the reason Uelese is not in the squad. He is at least as good as the other options in this area.
Lornegan and McInerny are a bit light on in the scrum but Lornegan offers more around the pitch.

I’m sure that the French 2nds/3rds will give them a good test. If BPA goes down we look very light on.
Is Kaitu’u injured?
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

wamberal wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:52 pm I find it difficult to believe that a good skills coach cannot teach Uelese how to throw the bloody ball. When Brad Thorn switched to rugby he had to learn a lot of new skills.

Many years ago, I worked in a large computer services company. The boss had a favourite saying whenever a customer demanded a new feature in our software: "It's simply a matter of programming".

SMOP. Or in this case - SMOL. It's simply a matter of learning.
Its a fitness thing as well, not just skills.

Bialthletes can hit the targets 99/100 times when their heart is at resting, however when they've had to cross country ski and their heart is at 180bpm its a different story. They need to calm themselves down quickly, and the fitter they are the easier that is.

Ulese is many things, and I rate him as a player, but he's not fit. There is a reason he often starts from the bench or is pulled at the 50min mark.
Olo

Post by Olo »

Spot on.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Zakar wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:08 am

Bialthletes can hit the targets 99/100 times when their heart is at resting, however when they've had to cross country ski and their heart is at 180bpm its a different story.
Ulese is many things, and I rate him as a player, but he's not fit. There is a reason he often starts from the bench or is pulled at the 50min mark.
If a lack of fitness is his problem, that should be relatively easy to fix, in theory at least. At the end of the day, it depends on his attitude. He is talented, he has to learn how to work hard enough. Get a good sports psychologist onto the job.