6N Rd.4 - Scotland v Ireland, Sun Mar 14th KO @ 3pm

All things Rugby
camroc1

Re: 6N Rd.4 - Scotland v Ireland, Sun Mar 14th KO @ 3pm

Post by camroc1 »

Willie Falloon wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:53 pm Ringrose and Lowe in really poor form.
Lowe's been given his chance and not taken it. Needs to go back to Leinster and get his mojo back.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Willie Falloon wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:02 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:00 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:57 pm That Huw Jones try was disgraceful. Lowe will certainly lose his place for that.

Farrell is all about defense
I feel sorry for Lowe after that. Will take a long time to recover from, haven’t seen a mare like that in a while. He’s a very good player and I hope he bounces back
That is probably why Farrell will select him next week.
He won't. Too big a game
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

Sonja being very giggly. Better than her usual style anyway
Munster-fogs

Post by Munster-fogs »

DOB wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:59 pm
Munster-fogs wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:54 pm Murray an unused sub? We need to learn how to close out a game. Kicking it away with a minute to go is brainless.
“JGP kicked it too much. We should bring on Murray.”

Think, then type.
You think it was tactically astute to kick it away with a minute to go?
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Mr. Very Popular wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:01 pm
earl the beaver wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:57 pm
Jumper wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:55 pm
Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:54 pm Well done to:
Henshaw
Furlong
Henderson
Beirne
Connors
Keenan

Put Earls, Stander and Slowe into the bin please
Earls was Ireland's best back. Stander was very good.

You're actually insane.
Did you see Stander trying to carry outside? Awful.

He works hard but he's a carthorse in attack these days.
Which Irish player isn't a carthorse right now?
He's our best tight carrier by far.
One paced lad who breaks no tackles, never offloads and can't pass.

We'll struggle to replace him alright.
Edinburgh01

Post by Edinburgh01 »

Edinburgh01 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:39 pm We are doomed.

No 10 cover on the bench. So Russell will get injured after 5mins, and Hogg will have to play 10. But Hogg limped off in Exeter's last game so may be carrying an injury. I am pretty sure Steele played 10 at school when he and the Wandering Spaniard were in the same team, so knowing Scotland he is probably covering 10 as well.

Gilchrist instead of Skinner, Townsend is having a laugh (and a not very funny one).

Bhatti on the bench. A few weeks out from getting discarded by Edinburgh, there is no one else left standing.

Third choice hooker with fourth choice on the bench.

Haining is barely getting picked for Edinburgh.

I may not bother watching.
Called it. Third choice hooker, and the lineout goes to total rubbish. End up with a full back at 10, a backrow who shouldn't be there anyway in the second row, and a scrum half at 7. To be fair to Bhatti, he was decent as was Cherry who should have been on earlier.

Both teams were poor, but Ireland had systems that have made them good in the past to fall back on. Those basics carried them through even if the penalty to Ireland before their last try should have gone the other way as Herring never released. By then it looked like Poite had decided Ireland were in control at the breakdown and they got every 50:50. Scotland just to not have that base to fall back on, so when Ireland kept the pressure on, Scotland made it easy for them by making schoolboy mistakes and giving away soft penalties.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Munster-fogs wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:05 pm
Munster-fogs wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:54 pm Murray an unused sub? We need to learn how to close out a game. Kicking it away with a minute to go is brainless.

Think, then type.
You think he's making that call? :roll:
Brian9848

Post by Brian9848 »

Lineout outstanding (Kelleher can't even throw straight to 2 under pressure), breakdown really strong and accurate again. Scum decent.

We have the cutting edge of a sausage. With all that possession, we can create through the boot and that's it. We need to go completely back to structure as our attacking players just aren't skillful or creative enough to depend upon to play what's in front of them at this level.

Our defense is still lacking.
lemonhead

Post by lemonhead »

BlackMac wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:01 pm Well done Ireland, you might think you have your worries, but you have enough players that are just better, stronger, harder and most importantly smarter than we are.
Cheers.

Frustrated for your lads when I wasn't screaming at ours. The talent's definitely there.
Edinburgh01

Post by Edinburgh01 »

Edinburgh01 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:06 pm

No 10 cover on the bench. So Russell will get injured after 5mins, and Hogg will have to play 10. But Hogg limped off in Exeter's last game so may be carrying an injury. I am pretty sure Steele played 10 at school when he and the Wandering Spaniard were in the same team, so knowing Scotland he is probably covering 10 as well.

Gilchrist instead of Skinner, Townsend is having a laugh (and a not very funny one).

Bhatti on the bench. A few weeks out from getting discarded by Edinburgh, there is no one else left standing.

Called it. Third choice hooker, and the lineout goes to total rubbish. End up with a full back at 10, a backrow who shouldn't be there anyway in the second row with a donkey who should not be there either, and a scrum half at 7. To be fair to Bhatti, he was decent as was Cherry who should have been on earlier.

Both teams were poor, but Ireland had systems that have made them good in the past to fall back on. Those basics carried them through even if the penalty to Ireland before their last try should have gone the other way as Herring never released. By then it looked like Poite had decided Ireland were in control at the breakdown and they got every 50:50. Scotland just to not have that base to fall back on, so when Ireland kept the pressure on, Scotland made it easy for them by making schoolboy mistakes and giving away soft penalties.
DOB

Post by DOB »

BlackMac wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:01 pm Well done Ireland, you might think you have your worries, but you have enough players that are just better, stronger, harder and most importantly smarter than we are.
i) in some positions, yes. I’d take most of your backline over ours right now.
ii) we probably have the edge here.
iii) I’d love to have a bit more Hamish Watson energy about our backrow.
iv) fcuk all evidence of that today, tbf.
Edinburgh01

Post by Edinburgh01 »

Called it. Third choice hooker, and the lineout goes to total rubbish. End up with a full back at 10, a backrow who shouldn't be there anyway in the second row with a donkey who should not be there either, and a scrum half at 7. To be fair to Bhatti, he was decent as was Cherry who should have been on earlier.

Both teams were poor, but Ireland had systems that have made them good in the past to fall back on. Those basics carried them through even if the penalty to Ireland before their last try should have gone the other way as Herring never released. By then it looked like Poite had decided Ireland were in control at the breakdown and they got every 50:50. Scotland just do not have that base to fall back on, so when Ireland kept the pressure on, Scotland made it easy for them by making schoolboy mistakes and giving away soft penalties.
Last edited by Edinburgh01 on Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Scotland can be a good side
But they are such a dumb side
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

Our pack has outplayed every pack our backs are dreadful bar Keenan who has been v good
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

YOYO wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:06 pm Was that Sonja interviewing Sexto on Virgin Media?
Yeah, hence the 'Go easy on me!' crack from Juicy Sexcrime.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

On the Herring penalty yes an iffy call but equally Ritchie holds JGP in on the Scotland line letting Watson turn it over when Ireland were on a rumble so swings and roundabouts really.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Mullet 2 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:00 pm
redderneck wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:59 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:53 pm Massive game from all the forwards

Keet, Keenan, Sexton and Henshaw very good

Lowe is gone after that. He can't tackle

Ringrose was poor but we know he can do better than that

JGP. Not great. I think we're going to see Murray next week
Reckon not. He'd have subbed him today if that was the case.

Sexton played about as well as he can. Fair dues to him for that, but we all know it's no longer enough and he needs to go. End of. He's a millstone and cannot have that as a playmaker.

Ringrose SHOULD be dropped. Wrong signal to reward that shitshow with another chance. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Lowe. Never again. Not even in an extended squad gathering please. Waste of shirt. Balacoune for me, not Stockdale.

Henshaw having a decent, decent season.

Keenan solid as.

Keet, keep on being keet, but time is ticking.

Forwards - hats off lads. All of ye.
Billy Burns yeah :lol:

Sherrup you spoofer
You reckon our pack is good enough to squeeze penalties out of England Mullet? Because it's the only way we'll get points with that lump of pig iron in first receiver. He's on top of his game; played well enough today but top of his game nowadays is miles off what's needed.

And you have the nerve to call anyone else a spoofer???

Burns - sweet Jesus; I'll give you that. But if we are going to try anything other than kickchase/pressure for penalties, then ANY other outhalf on the island.
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:00 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:57 pm That Huw Jones try was disgraceful. Lowe will certainly lose his place for that.

Farrell is all about defense
I feel sorry for Lowe after that. Will take a long time to recover from, haven’t seen a mare like that in a while. He’s a very good player and I hope he bounces back
Hardly the first time his defense has been dubious, shocking that he made it to half time after Russell's try
Edinburgh01

Post by Edinburgh01 »

earl the beaver wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:08 pm

On the Herring penalty yes an iffy call but equally Ritchie holds JGP in on the Scotland line letting Watson turn it over when Ireland were on a rumble so swings and roundabouts really.
Ireland were the better side at the breakdown. It's how it goes, the dominant side gets the 50:50s.
DOB

Post by DOB »

lemonhead wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:06 pm
Cheers.

Frustrated for your lads when I wasn't screaming at ours. The talent's definitely there.
The talent is there on both sides. The Irish backline is managing to waste some very good players. The Scottish pack needs to sort out some basics like their lineout and protecting the ball.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

earl the beaver wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:56 pm
diarm wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:55 pm
Willie Falloon wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:33 pm
Salanya wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:32 pm And we take off Beirne :|
Meh, he has been alright. Henderson and Connors been standout forwards IMO. Stander worked hard as always.
This should be saved as your tagline so we can have a permanent reminder of the level of rugby intellect we're dealing with here.
Hendy was our best forward out there tonight.

Maybe if he wore a blue scrum cap he might get more plaudits.
Henderson had a good game - all the pack played well.

JGP and Sexton didn't work as a 9 - 10 combo. If Murray isn't fit, and Casey too callow, get Cooney or McGrath in there.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

redderneck wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:09 pm
Mullet 2 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:00 pm
redderneck wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:59 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:53 pm Massive game from all the forwards

Keet, Keenan, Sexton and Henshaw very good

Lowe is gone after that. He can't tackle

Ringrose was poor but we know he can do better than that

JGP. Not great. I think we're going to see Murray next week
Reckon not. He'd have subbed him today if that was the case.

Sexton played about as well as he can. Fair dues to him for that, but we all know it's no longer enough and he needs to go. End of. He's a millstone and cannot have that as a playmaker.

Ringrose SHOULD be dropped. Wrong signal to reward that shitshow with another chance. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Lowe. Never again. Not even in an extended squad gathering please. Waste of shirt. Balacoune for me, not Stockdale.

Henshaw having a decent, decent season.

Keenan solid as.

Keet, keep on being keet, but time is ticking.

Forwards - hats off lads. All of ye.
Billy Burns yeah :lol:

Sherrup you spoofer
You reckon our pack is good enough to squeeze penalties out of England Mullet? Because it's the only way we'll get points with that lump of pig iron in first receiver. He's on top of his game; played well enough today but top of his game nowadays is miles off what's needed.

And you have the nerve to call anyone else a spoofer???

Burns - sweet Jesus; I'll give you that. But if we are going to try anything other than kickchase/pressure for penalties, then ANY other outhalf on the island.
Our only hope next week is a low scoring arm wrestle. Their defense will be up so fast.
ticketlessinseattle

Luckycharmer wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:07 pm Our pack has outplayed every pack our backs are dreadful bar Keenan who has been v good
France ?
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

DOB wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:06 pm
i) in some positions, yes. I’d take most of your backline over ours right now.
ii) we probably have the edge here.
iii) I’d love to have a bit more Hamish Watson energy about our backrow.
iv) fcuk all evidence of that today, tbf.
We don't set a very high bar in the smart stakes to be fair.
Brian9848

Post by Brian9848 »

This Irish team lacks the balance and cutting edge to hurt the likes of England. England will not be starved of possession, and they can defend blunt.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Poite was definitely off his feet for Beirne’s try.
ticketlessinseattle

DOB wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:10 pm
lemonhead wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:06 pm
Cheers.

The talent is there on both sides. The Irish backline is managing to waste some very good players. The Scottish pack needs to sort out some basics like their lineout and protecting the ball.
If Scotland had a line out they'd a probably won....Beirnes try was kinda dubious ? Then again Finn Russell woulda probably kicked the winning drop goal for us
diarm

Post by diarm »

We've beaten (just) a Scotland side who hadn't played a game in a month. It's worth bearing that in mind before we pull the usual Irish trick of getting ahead of ourselves before England.
Last edited by diarm on Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

diarm wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:13 pm We've beaten (just) a Scotland side who hadn't played a game in a month. It's worth bearing that I'm mind before we pull the usual Irish trick of getting ahead of ourselves before England.
Who is getting ahead of ourselves, the backline is awful.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Luckycharmer wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:07 pm Our pack has outplayed every pack our backs are dreadful bar Keenan who has been v good
Henshaw has had his best 6N as an individual player, but the “structure” of our backline (in as much as there is one)isn’t using him effectively, or getting the best out of his abilities, or those of the guys around him.
Munster-fogs

Post by Munster-fogs »

Mullet 2 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:06 pm
Munster-fogs wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:05 pm

Think, then type.
You think he's making that call? :roll:
No, but what does that have to do with bringing Murray on? I would have thought Ireland would have benefitted from the extra experience in the closing stages.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Henshaw
Furlong
Henderson
Beirne
Connors
Keenan

You're actually insane.

He made about 1m all game
diarm

Post by diarm »

earl the beaver wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:13 pm
diarm wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:13 pm We've beaten (just) a Scotland side who hadn't played a game in a month. It's worth bearing that I'm mind before we pull the usual Irish trick of getting ahead of ourselves before England.
Who is getting ahead of ourselves, the backline is awful.
Wait till you've seen tomorrow's papers.
Munster-fogs

Post by Munster-fogs »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:15 pm
Henshaw
Furlong
Henderson
Beirne
Connors
Keenan

You're actually insane.

lemonhead

Post by lemonhead »

Farrell at least sounds pissed in interview.

Hopefully makes the changes needed.
DOB

Post by DOB »

YOYO wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:10 pm A injury recovered, fit and flying Adam Byrne will be good competition for Lowe at Leinster. I remember Will Greenwood touted him for the 2017 Lions tour. Unfortunately robbed by years of injury.
Ah c’mon, it’s not like Adam never had his defensive issues.

I’d seriously pick Dave Kearney ahead of any of our wings right now. Keet had a mixed bag today, Larmour hasn’t stepped up, Lowe is not cutting it, and Dave’s Hattrick on Friday there’s no other wing in Ireland right now that would get over for all 3 of those.
Munster-fogs

Post by Munster-fogs »

Munster-fogs wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:19 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:15 pm

You're actually insane.

In actual fact he was comfortably our best forward for meters gained. Only Will Connors was close with 21.
nardol

Post by nardol »

our tactics were garryowens with earls and keenan slapping it back

outside of that we looked absolutely horrible going forward yet we kept control of field positions and possession for large parts of the game
ticketlessinseattle

American "pissed" or Irish "pissed" ?
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Should Henshaw and Ringrose switch positions. Copy England's set up? Play maker at 12?