Marvin Hagler

All things Rugby
Mick Mannock

Marvin Hagler

Post by Mick Mannock »

RIP
Last edited by Mick Mannock on Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anonymous 1

Re: Marvin Hagler

Post by Anonymous 1 »

RIP
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Oh shit. My favourite boxer of my lifetime. :(

RIP
Dobbin

Post by Dobbin »

RIP

The fight against Leonard was the best bout I've ever seen. And the one against Minter one of the most brutal. A true great
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

I’m getting old
I remember watching him in his prime
RIP
Botha Boy

Post by Botha Boy »

Today has been bad in so many ways ...

now Marvin Hagler ... RIP
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Marvin Hagler, Roberto Duran, Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns. All boxing legends from the same era who fought each other.

RIP Hagler.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

66 yo. Unexpected too. Don't get to say your goodbyes. Very sad. Great great boxer.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Wonderful boxer !!

RIP
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Tehui wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:06 am Marvin Hagler, Roberto Duran, Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns. All boxing legends from the same era who fought each other.

RIP Hagler.
It was a genuine golden era.

RIP Hagler.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Kiwias wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:36 am
Tehui wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:06 am Marvin Hagler, Roberto Duran, Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns. All boxing legends from the same era who fought each other.

RIP Hagler.

RIP Hagler.
We've got to put this photo up for sentimental reasons:

booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Tehui wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:07 am
Kiwias wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:36 am

RIP Hagler.

RIP Hagler.
We've got to put this photo up for sentimental reasons:

:thumbup: RIP Champ. One of my favorites. :((
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

His 3 round war with Tommy Hitman Hearns is still the most exciting fight I have ever watched live. I was just a kid at high school and stayed home specially to watch it. Marvelous Marvin was my man so it was a thrilling victory.

So sad. He looked in such great health in all the recent interviews I've seen. Not slurring his speech either like his great rival Thomas Hearns sadly does.

Quite a shock. Will be interesting to find out the cause of death.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Dobbin wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:36 am RIP

The fight against Leonard was the best bout I've ever seen. And the one against Minter one of the most brutal. A true great
I remember that Minter fight well - Minter was a very good boxer. Hagler destroyed him.

Terrific boxer who dominated at a time when there were some other brilliant ones in his division.

RIP Marvelous.
jezzer

Post by jezzer »

Awwww, shite. Hadn't heard. He was my favourite boxer. RIP Marvellously.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Seemed to get out at the right time on his own terms.

Unlike the other three - Leonard, Duran, Hearns - I think Hagler remained in one division throughout his career. Whilst admirable in some ways, this limited his earning potential, and limited his challenges.

The other three moved through the divisions. Leonard (who was lucky to get a decision over Hagler) from welterweight to Super Middle. Hearns from welter to light heavyweight. Duran was a natural lightweight who moved through the weights to Super Middle because there was no money at lightweight, and because he lacked discipline to keep weight off. Hagler was the only natural middleweight, although a case could be made for Hearns too.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

ovalball wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:03 am

I remember that Minter fight well - Minter was a very good boxer. Hagler destroyed him.

Terrific boxer who dominated at a time when there were some other brilliant ones in his division.

RIP Marvelous.
I am not so sure that is true.

Hearns went straight back to super welterweight. Duran was really a welterweight, perhaps even a lightweight.

Now look at the other names on his record. It was not a great middleweight era in my opinion.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Mick Mannock wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:34 am

RIP Marvelous.

Hearns went straight back to super welterweight. Duran was really a welterweight, perhaps even a lightweight.

Now look at the other names on his record. It was not a great middleweight era in my opinion.
Prior to meeting the big four his toughest fights were on his way to the title. Bennie Briscoe, Sugar Ray Seales, Willie The Worm Monroe etc. He beat all the contenders just to get his shot at the title. Real old school warrior.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

nnnooooooooo........really sad news. Not long after Minter has died as well

RIP Legend
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Oh...... RiP.
rialtoblue

Post by rialtoblue »

booji boy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:40 am
Mick Mannock wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:34 am

RIP Marvelous.

Prior to meeting the big four his toughest fights were on his way to the title. Bennie Briscoe, Sugar Ray Seales, Willie The Worm Monroe etc. He beat all the contenders just to get his shot at the title. Real old school warrior.
And Mugabe, that guy was a machine
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Yeah Mugabe proved to be a very tough challenge. I think a lot of people at the time wondered if he was just a very hard puncher and nothing else. I think he may have been 26-0 with 26 KOs when he fought Hagler. He put up a real fight and brought out the best in Hagler.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

fatcat wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:38 pm Yeah Mugabe proved to be a very tough challenge. I think a lot of people at the time wondered if he was just a very hard puncher and nothing else. I think he may have been 26-0 with 26 KOs when he fought Hagler. He put up a real fight and brought out the best in Hagler.
And he went straight back down again to super welterweight after his loss to Hagler.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

booji boy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:17 am His 3 round war with Tommy Hitman Hearns is still the most exciting fight I have ever watched live. I was just a kid at high school and stayed home specially to watch it. Marvelous Marvin was my man so it was a thrilling victory.

So sad. He looked in such great health in all the recent interviews I've seen. Not slurring his speech either like his great rival Thomas Hearns sadly does.

Read that Tommy Hearns said Hagler was in ICU as a result of a reaction to the covid vaccine.
Varsity Way

Post by Varsity Way »

Rugby2023 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:25 pm
booji boy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:17 am His 3 round war with Tommy Hitman Hearns is still the most exciting fight I have ever watched live. I was just a kid at high school and stayed home specially to watch it. Marvelous Marvin was my man so it was a thrilling victory.

Read that Tommy Hearns said Hagler was in ICU as a result of a reaction to the covid vaccine.
Wtf. Very sad. An incredible boxer and person.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Which Covid vaccine?
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

Do you know what would have been a nice way to pay your respects to the man? Using his full name in the thread title.

Ffs.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:17 pm Do you know what would have been a nice way to pay your respects to the man? Using his full name in the thread title.

Ffs.
Strange request, but fixed.
Short Man Syndrome

Mick Mannock wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:28 pm
Short Man Syndrome wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:17 pm Do you know what would have been a nice way to pay your respects to the man? Using his full name in the thread title.

Ffs.
Is this just another manifestation of your racist spite? Not wanting to call him Marvellous Marvin Hagler?
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

Mick Mannock wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:12 pm

Which Covid vaccine?
Not sure, it's just what Hearns posted on instagram prior to his passing. https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/wp-con ... hearns.jpg

Fox News report: https://twitter.com/IceFireLord/status/ ... 65861?s=20

Fwiw Hagler's wife reportedly said he died unexpectedly, and his website says "natural causes".
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:34 pm

Ffs.
Is this just another manifestation of your racist spite? Not wanting to call him Marvellous Marvin Hagler?
Oh do fuck-off.

Seriously, why do you have to bring your garbage to this thread?
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:34 pm

Ffs.
The first post was weird enough but this one is truly circus freak bizarre.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

I have changed it back.
Short Man Syndrome

OK, come on fellas - let’s just simmer down a tad. I was just alluding to a) Hagler legally changed his name to Marvellous Marvin Hagler, and b) Mick’s track record of racism (or supporting racists, I forget which).

Perhaps I came on a little strong. I accept that.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:25 am OK, come on fellas - let’s just simmer down a tad. I was just alluding to a) Hagler legally changed his name to Marvellous Marvin Hagler, and b) Mick’s track record of racism (or supporting racists, I forget which).

Only one L in Marvelous Marvin Hagler's legal name.
Short Man Syndrome

booji boy wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:33 am
Short Man Syndrome wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:25 am OK, come on fellas - let’s just simmer down a tad. I was just alluding to a) Hagler legally changed his name to Marvellous Marvin Hagler, and b) Mick’s track record of racism (or supporting racists, I forget which).

Only one L in Marvelous Marvin Hagler's legal name.
Noted!
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

You construed racism in my post?

Perhaps you find it in Boxrec as well.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

I'd not spotted this in the press before seeing the thread title and was v. surprised to find Hagler was 66. Still too young - for anyone not in the music industry, that is - but a quite a bit older than I thought. Only a tad less than two years younger than me, in fact.

FWIW, I hope he didn't die skint.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

MungoMan wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:55 am I'd not spotted this in the press before seeing the thread title and was v. surprised to find Hagler was 66. Still too young - for anyone not in the music industry, that is - but a quite a bit older than I thought. Only a tad less than two years younger than me, in fact.

FWIW, I hope he didn't die skint.
I do not think he did, unlike one guy often forgotten in the Hearns, Hagler, Duran, Leonard conversation: Wilfred Benitez.

Although Benitez is not yet dead.