Official 2021 Post 6 Nations Lions Squad Prediction Thread

All things Rugby
Jeff the Bear

Official 2021 Post 6 Nations Lions Squad Prediction Thread

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Yes, the 6 nations isn't over yet, so you can change your picks up until the end of the weekend after the Scotland v France game, but I think enough rugby has been played that, barring some extraordinarily bad/good performances, Gatland will have 90-95% of the squad inked in.

Gatland reckons he's only picking 36 players. Split them however you feel:

Back 3 (6):
Liam Williams
Josh Adams
Louis Rees Zammit
Anthony Watson
Stuart Hogg
Duhan Van Der Merwe

Centres (4):
George North
Henry Slade
Gary Ringrose
Robbie Henshaw

Flyhalf (3)
George Ford
Dan Biggar
Owen Farrell

Scrumhalf(3)
Tomos Williams
Gareth Davies
Ben Youngs

Backrow(7)
Taulupe Faletau
Justin Tipuric
Josh Navidi
Tom Curry
Billy Vunipola
Tadhg Beirne
Hamish Watson

Second Row(4)
Alun Wyn Jones (C)
Maro Itoje
James Ryan
Iain Henderson

Front Row (9)
Wyn Jones
Mako Vunipola
Cian Healy
Ken Owens
George Turner
Luke Cowan-Dickie
Tadhg Furlong
Kyle Sinckler
Zander Fagerson

Tough decisions: Van Der Merwe over May, Billy V in there at all (who else is there as a No.8 option. Stander is just as slow these days, and I'm not sure Fagerson is there yet for the Sweaties), and third choice loosehead pick (went with Healy as there weren't any standouts, but I'd be open to putting someone else in)

As such, I make it: 13 Welsh, 11 English, 7 Irish and 5 Scots
Last edited by Jeff the Bear on Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrDominator

Re: Official 2021 Post 6 Nations Lions Squad Predication Thread

Post by MrDominator »

Not the worst squad in the world, but...

Biggar? Gareth Davies? No Underhill?
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

MrDominator wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:13 pm Not the worst squad in the world, but...

Given the 10's on show, I reckon you could make a decent argument that after Ford, Biggar has been the best 10 on show.

Much like 10, 9's on show have been poor, hence Davies get there on experience alone.

UnderWorsley is a victim of not playing. All the other backrowers mentioned are on top of their game (except for Billy V, but then we don't have any other 8's). Essentially, all the backrowers mentioned have earned their spots.
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:27 pm
MrDominator wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:13 pm Not the worst squad in the world, but...

Given the 10's on show, I reckon you could make a decent argument that after Ford, Biggar has been the best 10 on show.

Much like 10, 9's on show have been poor, hence Davies get there on experience alone.

UnderWorsley is a victim of not playing. All the other backrowers mentioned are on top of their game (except for Billy V, but then we don't have any other 8's). Essentially, all the backrowers mentioned have earned their spots.
Didn't get Biggar get pulled off after 50 minutes against Scotland and Ireland? He's barely Welsh first choice, let alone Lions quality. Russell, surely, has to be the man alongside Farrell and one of Sexton/Ford.

I like Gareth Davies, but I do wonder if Gatland will find space for Murray.

Faur point re Underhill, but you can't have watched Billy V in the last two games. He has been utterly DOMINANT.
openclashXX

Post by openclashXX »

Beirne is a tidy player but would get bullied playing 6 vs SA

Back row in general needs a few more beefy ball carriers
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

Hard to argue with that squad. If I were picking i'd drop Slade, bring Russell at 10 and stick Farrell in the centres group with the intention of Ford/Farrell and Farrell to fill in as second choice 10, but don't think Russell is going

Would have Jonathan Davies in there provided he is fit. I'd go Jonny May over Adams, and wouldn't be surprised if Halfpenny goes too.

Jamie Ritchie is in with a shout but aside from that it's probably the squad i'd be going for. The group isn't balanced imo and lacks a proper hard carrier, is Lawes going to be fit for it?

Vunipola, Owens, Furlong, AWJ, Itoje, Curry, Tipuric, Faletau, Youngs, Ford, May, Farrell, Davies, LRZ, Hogg
Derwyn

Post by Derwyn »

Jesus. Those centres. x(
Ulsters Red Hand

openclashXX wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:35 pm Beirne is a tidy player but would get bullied playing 6 vs SA

Have just posted that, is Lawes fit? Gatland rated him enough to bring him in the last tour and he's only got better since then. If the listed group is similar to what he brings, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Henderson/Itoje move to 6
openclashXX

Post by openclashXX »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:36 pm
openclashXX wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:35 pm Beirne is a tidy player but would get bullied playing 6 vs SA

Have just posted that, is Lawes fit? Gatland rated him enough to bring him in the last tour and he's only got better since then. If the listed group is similar to what he brings, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Henderson/Itoje move to 6
More likely to see Stander or even an outside pick like Moriarty go
Ulsters Red Hand

openclashXX wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:38 pm
Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:36 pm

More likely to see Stander or even an outside pick like Moriarty go
Stander works well as a tight carrier if you have a destructive ball carrier with him but he's not got the power to do that himself any more, and certainly not against SA. I'm not convinced Lawes in the answer but all four countries don't really have a destructive 8 at test level unless Billy V hits some form. At least with Lawes he could give you an extra lineout option as well
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

Don't overlook 'Dominator' Dombrandt as a dark horse if we're talking in terms of beefing up the back row.

There are a number of English players who could be bona fide bolters - Dombrandt, Smith, Simmonds x 2, Luke James...
P in VG

Post by P in VG »

Yes because looking to outmuscle SA worked so well for England in Japan....

The way to beat SA is to chop them down at source & look to outsmart them at the breakdown - for this you need dogs like Tipuric & Watson, not cart horses like Lawes & Henderson playing 6

Also you need a 10 who can defend & perform under pressure - so that automatically rules out Russell
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Centres, 9 and 10 :(

Finn will go but Christ knows why. Biggar will be there as well. Cawdor's passing is not up to it so Murray will go (yes, I know how contradictory that is).

Ringrose was 7 shades of awful yesterday but he has credit in the back and will start at 13. Maybe 1 of the Scottish centres will get there.

I'd take Underhill if fit and not sure if you're being serious about George Turner?
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

That Podcast with Jamie Roberts and Dylan Hartly made a good point, if the tour takes place in the UK, it won't be a full touring squad, it will be the test side and bench, plus a few spares. Not the usual 40+ man squad we are used to seeing.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

Back 3 (5):
Williams
Hogg
May
Watson
Rees Zammit
Adams

Centres (4):
Henshaw
Davies
Tuilagi
Slade

Flyhalf (3):
Ford
Farrell
Russell

Scrumhalf (3):
Davies
Youngs
Cooney

Backrow (6):
Curry
Tipuric
Underhill
Watson
Vunipola
Faletau

Secondrow (5):
Itoje
AWJ
Henderson
Bierne
Lawes

LH (3):
Vunipola
Genge
Wyn Jones

Hooker (3):
Owens
Cowen-Dickie
George

TH (3):
Furlong
Porter
Sinckler

Bierne and Lawes can both cover 6
Cooney can kick, play 9 or 10 midweek
I think they'll want to take Tuilagi.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Frodder wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:39 am Centres, 9 and 10 :(

Finn will go but Christ knows why. Biggar will be there as well. Cawdor's passing is not up to it so Murray will go (yes, I know how contradictory that is).

Ringrose was 7 shades of awful yesterday but he has credit in the back and will start at 13. Maybe 1 of the Scottish centres will get there.

I'd take Underhill if fit and not sure if you're being serious about George Turner?
I like Wonderhill, but I'm not sure what he brings that the likes of Navidi or Watson don't...and both Navidi and Watson bring a carrying game as well.
Saturnine

Post by Saturnine »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:09 pm Yes, the 6 nations isn't over yet, so you can change your picks up until the end of the weekend after the Scotland v France game, but I think enough rugby has been played that, barring some extraordinarily bad/good performances, Gatland will have 90-95% of the squad inked in.

Gatland reckons he's only picking 36 players. Split them however you feel:

Back 3 (6):
Liam Williams
Josh Adams
Louis Rees Zammit
Anthony Watson
Stuart Hogg
Duhan Van Der Merwe

Centres (4):
George North
Henry Slade
Gary Ringrose
Robbie Henshaw

Flyhalf (3)
George Ford
Dan Biggar
Owen Farrell

Scrumhalf(3)
Tomos Williams
Gareth Davies
Ben Youngs

Backrow(7)
Taulupe Faletau
Justin Tipuric
Josh Navidi
Tom Curry
Billy Vunipola
Tadhg Beirne
Hamish Watson

Second Row(4)
Alun Wyn Jones (C)
Maro Itoje
James Ryan
Iain Henderson

Front Row (9)
Wyn Jones
Mako Vunipola
Cian Healy
Ken Owens
George Turner
Luke Cowan-Dickie
Tadhg Furlong
Kyle Sinckler
Zander Fagerson

Tough decisions: Van Der Merwe over May, Billy V in there at all (who else is there as a No.8 option. Stander is just as slow these days, and I'm not sure Fagerson is there yet for the Sweaties), and third choice loosehead pick (went with Healy as there weren't any standouts, but I'd be open to putting someone else in)

As such, I make it: 13 Welsh, 11 English, 7 Irish and 5 Scots
FFS, Jeff! Edit the title to read "Prediction" rather than "Predication", would you?

They mean different things.

(Not a bad squad, btw...)
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

:lol:

Good spot!

:blush:
Hawk97

Re: Official 2021 Post 6 Nations Lions Squad Prediction Thread

Post by Hawk97 »

Underhill and May are shoo-ins. Don't kid yourself.

He will want that pace from May and the heat seeking missile that is Underhill to chop down those trees.

Genge shouldn't go. Sutherland (?) over him.

Billy shouldn't go, really. Maybe if you particularly want a fatty
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:35 pm Hard to argue with that squad. If I were picking i'd drop Slade, bring Russell at 10 and stick Farrell in the centres group with the intention of Ford/Farrell and Farrell to fill in as second choice 10, but don't think Russell is going

Would have Jonathan Davies in there provided he is fit. I'd go Jonny May over Adams, and wouldn't be surprised if Halfpenny goes too.

Jamie Ritchie is in with a shout but aside from that it's probably the squad i'd be going for. The group isn't balanced imo and lacks a proper hard carrier, is Lawes going to be fit for it?

Vunipola, Owens, Furlong, AWJ, Itoje, Curry, Tipuric, Faletau, Youngs, Ford, May, Farrell, Davies, LRZ, Hogg
Nor far off mine. I'd put Adams before May but drop Davies for Ringrose and Farrell for Henshaw too, and possibly Underhill over Tipuric.
Ulsters Red Hand

LandOTurk wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:39 pm
Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:35 pm Hard to argue with that squad. If I were picking i'd drop Slade, bring Russell at 10 and stick Farrell in the centres group with the intention of Ford/Farrell and Farrell to fill in as second choice 10, but don't think Russell is going

Nor far off mine. I'd put Adams before May but drop Davies for Ringrose and Farrell for Henshaw too, and possibly Underhill over Tipuric.
Ideally I want the 6 to be the biggest carrier especially with Faletau there. Wouldn't be opposed to see Lawes at 6 for some ball carrying either
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

The difference between Good and Elite:
England’s Tom Curry...has missed one in six tackles he’s attempted in this Six Nations while Tipuric has missed one in 75.
:shock:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... n-20173533
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Just read SF's Lions starting XV. Makes amusing reading
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

P in VG wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:05 am Yes because looking to outmuscle SA worked so well for England in Japan....

The way to beat SA is to chop them down at source & look to outsmart them at the breakdown - for this you need dogs like Tipuric & Watson, not cart horses like Lawes & Henderson playing 6

Also you need a 10 who can defend & perform under pressure - so that automatically rules out Russell
Not sure about that. You have to at least match them physically first.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:53 pm
LandOTurk wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:39 pm

Ideally I want the 6 to be the biggest carrier especially with Faletau there. Wouldn't be opposed to see Lawes at 6 for some ball carrying either
I'm a big fan of long dog myself.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

I believe I’m the reigning champion of this competition. Here’s this year’s squad in advance. You’re welcome :D :thumbup:

Vunipola
Genge
Sutherland

Owens
George
Cowan Dickie

Sinkler
Furlong
Porter

Itoje
AWJ
Ryan
Henderson
Beirne

Vunipola
Faletau
Watson
Underhill
Curry
Tipuric

T Williams
Youngs
Murray

Ford
Biggar
Farrell

Slade
Henshaw
North
Davies

May
VdM
Rees-Zammit
Watson

Hogg
Williams

England:15
Wales:10
Ireland: 7
Scotland:4
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Genge, Watson (flanker) and Murray are no-go for me, Davies (Foxy) too most probably.
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

A final hurrah against the boks that told him he was too small? CJ Stander would play like a man possessed, how could you not take him?
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Frodder wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:50 pm Just read SF's Lions starting XV. Makes amusing reading
Indeed. In fact, I don't need to put the whole team down, just Ferris' fullback:
Jacob Stockdale (Ireland)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Come on Jeff he made a good run against the Dragons last week.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

I predict that the tour party to NZ will play a big role in Gatland's decisions.

Therefore, players who I predict will go (but that I wouldn't necessarily take);

Daly, Lawes, Davies, North.

The multi-positional cover from Daly and North help too
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Hawk97 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:34 am I predict that the tour party to NZ will play a big role in Gatland's decisions.

Therefore, players who I predict will go (but that I wouldn't necessarily take);

Lawes and Davies are decent shouts for being there 'on reputation'. I think North probably squeaks in on form at the moment (however, a shit defensive display this weekend could well see him back out of the tour).

I'd be f**king amazed if Daly went.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:46 am
Hawk97 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:34 am I predict that the tour party to NZ will play a big role in Gatland's decisions.

Lawes and Davies are decent shouts for being there 'on reputation'. I think North probably squeaks in on form at the moment (however, a shit defensive display this weekend could well see him back out of the tour).

I'd be f**king amazed if Daly went.
Covers wing, fullback and centre. I wouldn't take him right now, but I bet he goes
P in VG

Post by P in VG »

Davies? as in Jonathan Davies? :uhoh:

Do you guys actually follow rugby?
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

P in VG wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:13 am Davies? as in Jonathan Davies? :uhoh:

Do you guys actually follow rugby?
Gareth.

Although I'd take GD every time.
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

I'd say Gatland will go:

Murray
Ford
Henshaw
Ringrose
Zammit
May
Hogg
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

AND-y wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:31 am I'd say Gatland will go:

Murray
Ford
Henshaw
Ringrose
Zammit
May
Hogg
Murray, Ford, Farrell, Henshaw, Williams, May, Hogg

I wouldn't be surprised to see Biggar and Watson instead, either
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

First test vs NZ

L Williams (Wales); A Watson (England), J Davies (Wales), B Te'o (England), E Daly (England); O Farrell (England), C Murray (Ireland); M Vunipola (England), J George (England), T Furlong (Ireland); AW Jones (Wales), G Kruis (England); P O'Mahony (capt, Ireland), S O'Brien (Ireland), T Faletau (Wales).
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Hawk97 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:53 am First test vs NZ

L Williams (Wales); A Watson (England), J Davies (Wales), B Te'o (England), E Daly (England); O Farrell (England), C Murray (Ireland); M Vunipola (England), J George (England), T Furlong (Ireland); AW Jones (Wales), G Kruis (England); P O'Mahony (capt, Ireland), S O'Brien (Ireland), T Faletau (Wales).
My current thoughts who Gats will choose:
S. Hogg (Scotland); A Watson (England), ?????? (?????), O Farrell (England), Louis Rees-Zammit (Wales); G Ford (England), B Youngs (England); W Evans (Wales), K Owens (Wales), T Furlong (Ireland); AW Jones (Wales), M Itoje (England) capt; ?????? (???????????), T Curry (England), T Faletau (Wales).
[/quote]

England (6), Wales (5), Ireland (1), Scotland (1), ????? (2)

For my ????? - OC has no standout candidate; BF depends on Gats tactics
openclashXX

Post by openclashXX »

scrum-half is by far the weakest position in quality and depth. it's likely that we might end up with Ben Youngs as the on-form and most experienced option x( x(