Blues vs Crusaders: MATCH THREAD: Sunday 21st March

All things Rugby
jdogscoop

Re: Blues vs Crusaders: MATCH THREAD: Sunday 21st March

Post by jdogscoop »

guy smiley wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:34 am
JPNZ wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:18 am Patrick McKendry's opinion piece behind the Heralds paywall
yibidee yada yada yippy kiyo
Colour me surprised that a NZ rugby writer should trot out a relentless set of yachting analogies days after the America's Cup win. It's like a f**king template for these arseclowns... first paragraphs loaded with clumsy, unoriginal references to recent NZ achievement in whatever field, followed by some rolling cliches and useless throwaway lines that rely heavily on inaccuracy to make a meaningless point.
It's fairly obvious rugby writers get bored with the same formulaic shite week after week, filling in quotes with the same cliches they get from boring players time and time again.

That's how we end up with the self-indulgent bilge outlined here.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Blues:

Stephen Perofetra,
Bryce Heem,
Rieko Ioane,
Harry Plummer,
Caleb Clarke,
Otere Black,
Jonathan Ruru;
Hoskins Sotutu,
Blake Gibson,
Akira Ioane,
Josh Goodhue,
Patrick Tuipulotu (capt),
Nepo Laulala,
Luteru Tolai,
Alex Hodgman.

Reserves: Kurt Eklund, Karl Tu’inukuafe, Ofa Tu’ungafasi, Gerard Cowley-Tuioti, Tom Robinson, Adrian Choat, Finlay Christie, TJ Faiane.
Bryce Heem was a late addition to the Blues for 2021, but potentially a valuable one if his appearance on the right wing to face the Crusaders on Sunday is anything to go by.

Coach Leon MacDonald has made five changes to his starting XV for the top-of-the-table clash against the champion Crusaders at Eden Park, two as a result of injury, two featuring players returning from the medical ward and another as part of the regular rotation of his world-class propping contingent.

The Blues, who have won both their matches so far in 2021, lost openside flanker Dalton Papalii and right wing Mark Telea to head knocks suffered in last Sunday's 39-17 victory over the Highlanders.

The experienced Blake Gibson, back from a rib injury, slots in for Papalii in a like for like change that should not see the Blues lose too much at No 7. “Blake was nearly ready to go last week,” said the Blues coach. “We knew we would need Blake with Dalton doing some big minutes, and it just so happens Dalton is injured ... but Blake would have been involved in some capacity anyway. His timing was good.”

Heem is perhaps more of a surprise as a replacement for the in-form Telea. The 32-year-old returned to New Zealand earlier this year after getting an early release from his commitments with Toulon in France. He has played his Kiwi provincial rugby for Auckland, Northland and Tasman, was a New Zealand sevens regular and had a season with the Chiefs before heading offshore at the end of 2015.

“That was a really tough decision," said MacDonald of Heem's inclusion as a starter. “We had a lot of guys putting their hands up there, but Bryce gives us a bit of experience, he's a big body, is fast, has a big workrate and we think an older head out there in the cauldron is going to be useful.”

Josh Goodhue returns as starting lock, after a week out with a wrist injury, with youngster Sam Darry dropping out of the 23 after a promising debut against the Highlanders.

“Josh was probably just OK to go last week but we gave him an extra week to make sure he was ready for this game. He's in good nick and is excited about the opportunity,” added MacDonald.

The other two starting changes come in the front row, with fit-again All Blacks prop Alex Hodgman starting at loosehead and national team-mate Nepo Laulala getting the nod at tighthead this week, with Karl Tu'inukuafe and Ofa Tu'ungafasi spearheading a powerful home bench.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Strong Blues team, as expected. A 6-2 bench certainly signals the Blues intentions, and why not with their incredible forward depth. Gibson, Goodhue, and Hodgman back into the lineup is testament to that, and will definitely be a boost.

Heem is an interesting selection on the wing given he wasn't in their initial squad.
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

Papalii and Telea are big losses I reckon, would have called it even if they were starting.
les@mooloolaba

Post by les@mooloolaba »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:14 am
deverix wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:07 am The Blues now look to be stronger across the paddock than the Crusaders. The question is whether the extent of the superior strength of the Blues is enough to shut down the superior game-plan of the Crusaders.
The Blues are stronger, but their superiority isn't evenly spread across the whole squad.

Props - adv Blues
Hooker - adv Crusaders
Locks - adv Crusaders
Loose forwards - adv Blues
Halves - adv Crusaders
Midfield - adv Crusaders
Back three - even
Managing the game - Adv Crusaders
Decison making - Adv Crusaders
Dicheadedness - Adv Ioane bros
les@mooloolaba

Post by les@mooloolaba »

Ali's Choice wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:11 am
Dan54. wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:17 am Pretty much agree with that though I not sure that midfield isn't pretty close, Crusaders stronger at 12, but almost think Ioane maybe ahead of Goodhue.
I think this game will tell us a lot about where both Rieko Ioane and Jack Goodhue are at. It's going to be one of many great match-ups.
Goodhue seems to be slow out of the blocks this year, maybe he is looking to pace himself?

Ioane makes to many mistakes which offset the awesome breaks he makes. He is still a liability in my book.
les@mooloolaba

Post by les@mooloolaba »

guy smiley wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:09 am yessss....

none of us Crusaders' supporters rate David Havili...

not a man. None of us. Never.

Seriously dude, you could try pulling your head out of your arse before you post sometime.
I like Havili at centre, better to have him there than on the wing where he is wasted.
puku

Post by puku »

les@mooloolaba wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:47 am
deverix wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:07 am The Blues now look to be stronger across the paddock than the Crusaders. The question is whether the extent of the superior strength of the Blues is enough to shut down the superior game-plan of the Crusaders.
The Blues are stronger, but their superiority isn't evenly spread across the whole squad.

Props - adv Blues
Hooker - adv Crusaders
Locks - adv Crusaders
Halves - adv Crusaders
Midfield - adv Crusaders
Back three - even
Certainly the pre 2020 model...now, not so much.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

puku wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:12 am Certainly the pre 2020 model...now, not so much.
Do you think perhaps they did some Dickhead training over the off-season, to cure them of their lifelong afflictions?
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

les@mooloolaba wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:47 am

Props - adv Blues
Hooker - adv Crusaders
Locks - adv Crusaders
Halves - adv Crusaders
Midfield - adv Crusaders
Back three - even
Yawn, as I helpfully reminded AC midweek the Crusaders captain is far more of a dickhead and has cost NZ test matches due to his dickheadness. In fact when you add in Jordie McBarret those two easily take the dickhead bros award. I feel sorry for BB being associated with those two.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:16 am
puku wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:12 am Certainly the pre 2020 model...now, not so much.
Do you think perhaps they did some Dickhead training over the off-season, to cure them of their lifelong afflictions?
Seriously? I reckon Rangi's coaching has brought a sense of unity and identity to the Blues and the whole squad look committed, from the little I've seen so far.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

guy smiley wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:21 am
Seriously? I reckon Rangi's coaching has brought a sense of unity and identity to the Blues and the whole squad look committed, from the little I've seen so far.
I also think they are both maturing as individuals. And I could also guarantee that Macdonald told Akira Ioane in particular to settle down and lose the niggling antics. Akira Ioane has been a different player since he was dropped by Madconald at the beginning of last year's SR Aotearoa campaign. That's good coaching, IMO.
puku

Post by puku »

As much as I love Tana, I think him being replaced as head coach by MacDonald was a sound move by the Blues organization.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

puku wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:31 am
As much as I love Tana, I think him being replaced as head coach by MacDonald was a sound move by the Blues organization.
Captain Obvious says what?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Yeah, I was thinking about this yesterday... I'm the same, massive fan of Tana* the player but it just didn't work out for him in coaching.

*Ran into him in the queue at Auckland airport the week before the RWC. Breathless moment :o
puku

Post by puku »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:33 am
Captain Obvious says what?
Less Captain Obvious and more hindsight is 20/20 :lol:
puku

Post by puku »

guy smiley wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:35 am
Yeah, I was thinking about this yesterday... I'm the same, massive fan of Tana* the player but it just didn't work out for him in coaching.

*Ran into him in the queue at Auckland airport the week before the RWC. Breathless moment :o
The guy has mana no doubt.

I met his brother a couple of times when he was coaching Coventry...very definitely Tana lite.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Match day bump. Just over three hours till kick-off.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Crusaders staying at the same hotel as us .

Looking relaxed but most definitely game faced.

Razor all business .

Said ‘Kill em’ to a smiling Codie Taylor .
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Chores done. Cold beer in the fridge. OK, I'm ready.

Am I right in thinking kick off is in 40 minutes time?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Fat Old Git wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:55 am Chores done. Cold beer in the fridge. OK, I'm ready.

KICK OFF:
3.35pm Local
1.35pm Sydney
12.35pm Brisbane
10.35am Perth
5.35am Riyadh
trapper

Post by trapper »

Been keeping busy this morning doing chores and cleaning up my shed trying to make time fly. I hate waiting for kick off when I’m nervous.

Blues v Crusaders, it’s still the big one for me and this particular fixture seems to have taken an age to come round.

I’m picking the Saders, obviously. I don’t care how we win or by how much just as long as we come away with the W, I’ll be happy.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

I've found a decent link for those, like me who don't have a f**king broadcast available

https://www.viprow.me/blues-vs-crusader ... e-stream-2
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:58 am
Fat Old Git wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:55 am Chores done. Cold beer in the fridge. OK, I'm ready.

KICK OFF:
3.35pm Local
1.35pm Sydney
12.35pm Brisbane
10.35am Perth
5.35am Riyadh
Thanks. Don't know why I didn't think to check your OP!

(Shakes head and thinks about moving to the US and running for president. )
puku

Post by puku »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:58 am

KICK OFF:
3.35pm Local
1.35pm Sydney
12.35pm Brisbane
10.35am Perth
5.35am Riyadh
9:35 pm CDT
Edited.

Got some Guinness leftover from Wednesday.
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

This TAB plug can piss off.

Glad to see Faiane back in the mix. Not sure what to make if heem, still see the crusaders as favourites but can see us sneaking it by 5
Taranaki Snapper

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

I just want the Blues to make a match of it...
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Blues looking a bit rushed early on.

Defense of saders solid

First scrum, hopefully doesn't take 30min to feed
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Taranaki Snapper wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:34 am I just want the Blues to make a match of it...
I want the Crusaders to win. But if both teams play well and it's a good game I will be happy regardless of the result.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Fat Old Git wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:40 am
Taranaki Snapper wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:34 am I just want the Blues to make a match of it...
I want the Crusaders to win. But if both teams play well and it's a good game I will be happy regardless of the result.
Me too if we include the officials not making any horrendous errors like in last weeks two games. Oh and of course I want the Blues to win.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

UncleFB wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:42 am
Fat Old Git wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:40 am
Me too if we include the officials not making any horrendous errors like in last weeks two games. Oh and of course I want the Blues to win.
Rugby fans first. Team supporters second. :)
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Wow saders defence has lot of energy, blues need to keep ticking the scorecard over to make sure when crusaders get the ball we dont suddenly end up down 14-0
trapper

Post by trapper »

Crusaders maul defence... i don’t think I have ever seen better.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Discipline. :(
trapper

Post by trapper »

Yessss!
Taranaki Snapper

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

looks like a try to me...
trapper

Post by trapper »

That’s the way, get down there and score at the first opportunity!
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

trapper wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:47 am Yessss!
Ditto!
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

So they've had what, 3 phases of possession and score a try?

That hurts
les@mooloolaba

Post by les@mooloolaba »

Monkey Magic wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:44 am Wow saders defence has lot of energy, blues need to keep ticking the scorecard over to make sure when crusaders get the ball we dont suddenly end up down 14-0
Blues not much chop under pressure at the moment. I wonder if they can overcome their mindsets