Looong way to go still.
Taranaki Snapper

Re: Lazy Hurricanes V Highlanders Fred

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

Highland Fling?
trapper

Post by trapper »

It seems to me that just about every time there is some sort of milestone for a player things just don't go to plan.

Jesus Jordy has a big boot... He needs to play 15 if he is going to be an AB so he can utilise it.
Taranaki Snapper

beautiful kick...
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

WTF is going on with this comp.
BBB

Post by BBB »

Man of the match pretty obvious already.
trapper

Post by trapper »

That kick would have sailed over from 60 out, with ease...
Taranaki Snapper

How good have all these rhetorical questions been?
elcamino

Post by elcamino »

trapper wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:09 am It seems to me that just about every time there is some sort of milestone for a player things just don't go to

I was thinking that before the game and hoping not to jinx the Canes haha. Ardie lost his 100th the other week. I think I remember Kieran Read losing a big one too
BBB

Post by BBB »

This is about where the Canes fell apart v the Chiefs.

We need to go nuts for the next 10 minutes or so.
Taranaki Snapper

Plenty of time to blow this lead...
trapper

Post by trapper »

BBB wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:24 am This is about where the Canes fell apart v the Chiefs.

Clan not really putting any pressure on this week, scoreboard or other wise.
BBB

Post by BBB »

trapper wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:35 am
BBB wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:24 am This is about where the Canes fell apart v the Chiefs.

Clan not really putting any pressure on this week, scoreboard or other wise.
Yeah.

They’ve been pretty underwhelming for Aaron Smiths big night.
Taranaki Snapper

Big Scrum!
trapper

Post by trapper »

Congrats Canes, well played and too good. Jordy with 30 points, that's some haul.👏
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Well done Canes. Did us like a dog's dinner.

The main problem tonight I thought was the loosie trio. Frizell and Tu'u are both very similar players, big ball runners but not so great on defence. Frizell was big on attack but Tu'u offered very little tonight.

It doesn't help of course when you have an anonymous cruiser like Harmon at 7. A Super quality 7? No. Just no. Enough said.

Credit to Jordie Barrett. An amazing performance, and he deserves an All Blacks squad place at the very least.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Well obviously bloody happy with win, and just as happy to take back a lot I said about Prinsep last few weeks, he went well tonight, same as Rayasi, I got to say he looked like he been listening and stayed involved in game whole time.
Jordie was bloody good, and not just his kicking, tries he scored or his tackling, but if you watch the game properly you can see he almost runs the backline.If you remember JGB played a lot better at 10 last year when he came back from injury. Leger looked to have not needed to do much because JB ran the game. I know it not trendy to say that with Barrett haters , but he is going well, only thing I think is wrong after game when shaking hands , 15s are not meant to be as tall as the locks. Whole Cane's pack went ok I thought, by geez Kirifi was back to being an energiser bunny. Midfield looked quite reasonable , thought Laumape seemed to play a mature game.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Enzedder wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:15 am WTF is going on with this comp.
F***en hard to get picks right isn't it NZer? x(
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Dan54. wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:44 am Well obviously bloody happy with win, and just as happy to take back a lot I said about Prinsep last few weeks, he went well tonight, same as Rayasi, I got to say he looked like he been listening and stayed involved in game whole time.
Jordie was bloody good, and not just his kicking, tries he scored or his tackling, but if you watch the game properly you can see he almost runs the backline.If you remember JGB played a lot better at 10 last year when he came back from injury. Leger looked to have not needed to do much because JB ran the game. I know it not trendy to say that with Barrett haters , but he is going well, only thing I think is wrong after game when shaking hands , 15s are not meant to be as tall as the locks. Whole Cane's pack went ok I thought, by geez Kirifi was back to being an energiser bunny. Midfield looked quite reasonable , thought Laumape seemed to play a mature game.
Love your work Dan, but it does take some energy to read your 90 word sentence, stream of consciousness posts.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

jdogscoop wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:16 am
Dan54. wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:44 am Well obviously bloody happy with win, and just as happy to take back a lot I said about Prinsep last few weeks, he went well tonight, same as Rayasi, I got to say he looked like he been listening and stayed involved in game whole time.
Love your work Dan, but it does take some energy to read your 90 word sentence, stream of consciousness posts.
Two white spaces following each full-stop.

Separating distinct points made by paragraphs.

Sorted.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

:lol: F*** me mate who taught you to count?? ;)
deverix

Post by deverix »

jdogscoop wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:53 am
Credit to Jordie Barrett. An amazing performance, and he deserves an All Blacks squad place at the very least.
I think that probably has silenced the Jordie doubters for a good while. Also, a note to Fozzie, see what happens when you play Jordie in his best position at fullback, instead of pushing him out to the wing!
trapper

Post by trapper »

deverix wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:01 am
I think that probably has silenced the Jordie doubters for a good while. Also, a note to Fozzie, see what happens when you play Jordie in his best position at fullback, instead of pushing him out to the wing!
I don’t think anyone doubts his abilities, we all know he can play FB but he’s not a wingers ring piece, that’s the problem. Brain explosions seem to have disappeared as he gains experience and becomes a more seasoned footballer. It’s up to Foster to play him where he is most effective.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

This is not a vintage Hurricanes team compared to previous years, but they still have enough strike power and talent to trouble any team. They can score tries against any defensive system, even with little possession, and in the abseence of Lachlan Boshier they have the best defensive breakdown jacklers in the comp, in Savea and Kirifi.

Jordie Barrett is much maligned, but he is having a great season after a great 2020 SR season. He's the form NZ fullback right now, and it's a shame that Foster will select his brother at 15, who hasn't done anything in NZ rugby for a couple of seasons.
deverix

Post by deverix »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:55 am This is not a vintage Hurricanes team compared to previous years, but they still have enough strike power and talent to trouble any team. They can score tries against any defensive system, even with little possession, and in the abseence of Lachlan Boshier they have the best defensive breakdown jacklers in the comp, in Savea and Kirifi.

Jordie Barrett is much maligned, but he is having a great season after a great 2020 SR season. He's the form NZ fullback right now, and it's a shame that Foster will select his brother at 15, who hasn't done anything in NZ rugby for a couple of seasons.
agree, the All Black back 3 should be:

11 - Reiko Ioane
15 - Jordie Barrett
14 - Will Jordan (utilize his pace out wide)
Last edited by deverix on Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

deverix wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:59 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:55 am This is not a vintage Hurricanes team compared to previous years, but they still have enough strike power and talent to trouble any team. They can score tries against any defensive system, even with little possession, and in the abseence of Lachlan Boshier they have the best defensive breakdown jacklers in the comp, in Savea and Kirifi.

11 - Reiko Ioane
15 - Jordie Barrett
I'd be happy with that back three. It's certainly better than any combination that contains Beauden Barrett.
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:00 pm

11 - Reiko Ioane
15 - Jordie Barrett
I'd be happy with that back three. It's certainly better than any combination that contains Beauden Barrett.
I was thinking whatever keeps Ioane out of 13!
deverix

Post by deverix »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:00 pm

11 - Reiko Ioane
15 - Jordie Barrett
yeah, Beauden simply hasn't had enough form at 15 post-2019 world cup to justify selection over Jordie, Jordan, or heck even Havili.

And I still remain unconvinced that Reiko has the defensive organization & nous to be a world-class midfielder. Hence, I think he should stick to wing for the All Blacks - the position that got him nominated for World Rugby breakthrough player of the year back in 2017.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

This was a devastating result for the Highlanders. They were at home, coming off the bye, against a team that has hardly set the competition alight.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Highlanders are playing significantly below their level last year. They lack fluency in attack, and are struggling to score points even when they enjoy significant possession and territory. Their set piece and mauling is also down on last year, and they are the weakest team in the comp when it comes to pressuring the opposition at the breakdown.

I think the Highlander's backrow lacks balance. They lack a world-class openside flanker. Moreover, Frizzell and Mika'ele-Tu'u are too similar. They are both strong running ball carriers but neither is known for their workrate, either at the breakdown or defensively. It's a luxury to have two big ball runners in a starting backrow but this is impacting other aspects of their play. They would be better off dropping one of these two players, and replacing them with an Ethan Blackadder/Cullen Grace type workaholic at 6 or 8.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Dan54. wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:50 am
The same cretin who taught you English, evidently. ;)

Just bants old mate.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

trapper wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:50 am
deverix wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:01 am
I don’t think anyone doubts his abilities, we all know he can play FB but he’s not a wingers ring piece, that’s the problem. Brain explosions seem to have disappeared as he gains experience and becomes a more seasoned footballer. It’s up to Foster to play him where he is most effective.
I totally agree. He shouldn't be on the wing because he isn't a winger's ass pipe. In all honesty he should be at 15 in place of his brother, the holy Beauden Barrett, the sixteenth pope of the Catholic church.

Don't get me wrong, I rate all 14 Barretts, as long as none of them are played out of position and no one crowds ma boy Richie Mo'money Mo'unga from his rightful position as 10.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:13 pm This was a devastating result for the Highlanders. They were at home, coming off the bye, against a team that has hardly set the competition alight.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Highlanders are playing significantly below their level last year. They lack fluency in attack, and are struggling to score points even when they enjoy significant possession and territory. Their set piece and mauling is also down on last year, and they are the weakest team in the comp when it comes to pressuring the opposition at the breakdown.

I think the Highlander's backrow lacks balance. They lack a world-class openside flanker. Moreover, Frizzell and Mika'ele-Tu'u are too similar. They are both strong running ball carriers but neither is known for their workrate, either at the breakdown or defensively. It's a luxury to have two big ball runners in a starting backrow but this is impacting other aspects of their play. They would be better off dropping one of these two players, and replacing them with an Ethan Blackadder/Cullen Grace type workaholic at 6 or 8.
Absolutely. I am getting shouted down on the Landers match threads at the moment for daring to suggest that the Landers got completely owned at the breakdown.

Sure, Frizell made a couple of decent runs, and put a near marker down by basketball dribbling the ball over the tryline. Harmon showed why he is no longer in the Crusaders while I'm not convinced Tu'u actually made his way off the bus.

That's a long way of saying they got he-f**ked at the breakdown, and not in a nice way.

Apparently the real problem was Mitch Hunt not creating tries out of nothing with the ball the Landers had early in the match.
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

Just caught the game.....at last a decent win :thumbup:

Highlanders certainly could have won that, just did not / could not capitalize on their territory and chances. Some great defense by the Canes, especially at the breakdown and a lucky break with Frizzell dropping the ball after an incredible effort to get to the line.

For the Landers Frizzell was excellent carrying the ball, as was Parkinson and I thought Ioane did a very good job at the back. Hunt I thought was pretty good too.

Canes, good to see Coles back, he just does things no other hooker in rugby does and of course he brought the niggle with him 8)
Scrafton made a difference (as he did last season) and the loose forwards worked well, all 3 are hard working tackling machines which makes it so hard for opposition to function.
Jordie, well that was some performance. Some great lines and support play, very solid at the back and really organizing things in front of him well. Looking like the best FB in NZ once again :thumbup:
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Finally people talking what was obvious last year. Jordie plays 15 end of. He hasn't got the tight footwork or the pure power game balance the ABs want for 14 and 11.

With BB and Damien there's two great covering bench options. Put Ardie on the bench also, or Cane depending on who you want to start with and suddenly the AB squad as a XXIII is starting to look scary again.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:47 am Quite a few posters wants Tony Brown to be the next All Black coach after Steve Hansen. I've not seen anything so far during his tenure at the Highlanders to suggest that he is an elite coach..
Don't think I have seen anyone ever suggest on here he should be AB coach, let's face it he has never really been head coach before (well apart from one fill in year?) and think it shows? A lot seemed to want him as back coach.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

jdogscoop wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:19 pm
Dan54. wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:50 am
jdogscoop wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:16 am [quote="Dan54.
The same cretin who taught you English, evidently. ;)

Just bants old mate.
Yep I know mate, was never taking offence :thumbup:
Though I do know at times I try to put everything down that's in my brain quick, you see I getting older and I may forget what I want to say. :o x(
vh5150

Post by vh5150 »

Jordie .... always has a great time in Dunners! Hope he celebrated with Maccas in someone else’s flat.
Last edited by vh5150 on Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Bloody Highlanders. The next time Jordie makes one of his characteristic stuff ups in a test I’m going to blame you fvckers for making him look like a million bucks last night.

Anyway good win to the Canes, all the more impressive due to not having a recognised inside back combo. Congrats. I still hate you though. ;)

The Highlanders put in one of he dumbest performances of rugby I’ve seen for a while. They seemed to go out of their way not to capitalise on their attacks and then give the Canes a few chances which they then took with grit and skill. Maybe they were over emotional? Good haha for Smith though.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

vh5150 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:07 am Jordie .... always has a great time in Dunners! Hope he CW rated with Maccas in someone else’s flat.
:lol:
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

UncleFB wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:39 am The Highlanders put in one of he dumbest performances of rugby I’ve seen for a while. They seemed to go out of their way not to capitalise on their attacks and then give the Canes a few chances which they then took with grit and skill. Maybe they were over emotional? Good haha for Smith though.
I agree it was dumb. It's like no other teams watch Crusaders games. When the Crusaders have the opportunity to take penalty kicks at goal, they do it. Almost every single time. They generally only kick for the line if they are in the lead and sense the opportunity to put a team away, Otherwise 9 times out of 10 they will take the points.