All Black squad selection thread

All things Rugby
jdogscoop

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by jdogscoop »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:23 am
jdogscoop wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:30 am Geez I wish Richie Mo'unga could transfer his Super Rugby form to the All Blacks.

:roll:
Richie Mo’unga: Had the ball on a string with his strong early kicking game and then cut the Wallabies to shreds with his running game. Almost scored a hat-trick in the first half and turned young Wallabies No 10 Noah Lolesion into an unhappy spectator. Goalkicking was excellent as well. 9.5
The Mo'unga haters have the unique ability to completely forget when he plays well, but always remember when he performs poorly. I'll still get posters tell me that he's not fit for test rugby because he played poorly for an under-manned Crusaders against the touring British & Irish Lions in 2017.
:nod:
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Mo’unga deniers show a unique polarity of thinking. They have a superhuman ability to write off anything good Mo’unga does while maintaining steadfast excuses for any of Beauden Barrett’s struggles.

Whenever Richie Mo’unga decides to retire, he could have one hell of a career as a forwards coach. Hurricane fans would surely snap him up given his Midas-like ability to turn forward packs into Rolls Royces.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

JB1981 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:03 am Mo’unga deniers show a unique polarity of thinking. They have a superhuman ability to write off anything good Mo’unga does while maintaining steadfast excuses for any of Beauden Barrett’s struggles.

Whenever Richie Mo’unga decides to retire, he could have one hell of a career as a forwards coach. Hurricane fans would surely snap him up given his Midas-like ability to turn forward packs into Rolls Royces.
It was Beauden Barrett #1 fluffer Steve Hansen that coined that expression wasn't it?

I also enjoyed the way Hansen explained away Beauden Barrett's goal kicking deficiencies by comparing his kicking from the tee to Tiger Woods driving and saying that even the greatest golfer in the world has off days. :roll:
Couch

Post by Couch »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:34 am
Pakia Pakia wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:35 am He is not the only player.

Beauden Barrett had to play with Dmac at fullback as the second playmaker. The dual player maker role was well established by the time Mo'unga was starting.

At the end of the day nobody extended their All Black career with excuses for losses.
Steve Hansen only started using the 'dual playmaker' term when Mo'unga was playing at 10 and BB was moved to 15. The term was used solely to satisfy BB's ego, because simply being 'demoted' to fullback would have been unacceptable to the arrogant Beauden, and if that had happened then BB would have led a player-power revolt and over-thrown the entire coaching team. The 'dual playmaker' terminology was an exercise in damage limitation, and it gave BB a licence to stand at first receiver whenever he felt like it - which was 90% of attacking phases. Damien McKenzie has never been so disrespectful to his 10 when he has played at 15.
Being 2x World Rugby POTY will garner some level of power in the squad, no?
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

booji boy wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:11 am
JB1981 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:03 am Mo’unga deniers show a unique polarity of thinking. They have a superhuman ability to write off anything good Mo’unga does while maintaining steadfast excuses for any of Beauden Barrett’s struggles.

It was Beauden Barrett #1 fluffer Steve Hansen that coined that expression wasn't it?

I also enjoyed the way Hansen explained away Beauden Barrett's goal kicking deficiencies by comparing his kicking from the tee to Tiger Woods driving and saying that even the greatest golfer in the world has off days. :roll:
I think we can all agree that Hansen farted in his coaching performances in the last few seasons.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

jdogscoop wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:24 am

I think we can all agree that Hansen farted in his coaching performances in the last few seasons.
Did motivation from the jersey give Hansen an inflated sense of his own abilities towards the end? You look at guys like Nonu who were poor in Super Rugby but get him in the AB environment and he stepped up. Perhaps it was just the motivation of playing for the ABs rather than the coaching/environment but Hansen may have thought, if I can do it for Nonu, I can turn Barrett around too.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

JB1981 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:26 am
jdogscoop wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:24 am

Did motivation from the jersey give Hansen an inflated sense of his own abilities towards the end? You look at guys like Nonu who were poor in Super Rugby but get him in the AB environment and he stepped up. Perhaps it was just the motivation of playing for the ABs rather than the coaching/environment but Hansen may have thought, if I can do it for Nonu, I can turn Barrett around too.
Hansen's "Rolls Royce" theory didn't hold water anyway, even if it was picked up by braindead morons the length of the North Island who have never been within a bull's roar of a rugby field.

The ABs pack were no mugs either, but that didn't stop Barrett shitting the bed at 10 behind it.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Caleb Clarke to go for the Olympics team is the word. Probably for the best you'd think.
Pakia Pakia

Post by Pakia Pakia »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:02 pm
Pakia Pakia wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:59 am I'm a big fan of Mo'unga at Super Rugby level. He's a magician and some of what he does is breathtaking.

Unfortunately he has failed to translate Super Rugby form into Test form. As a starting Test 10 his win ratio is similar to Stephen Donald's.

He certainly hasn't played as well as the likes of Cruden, Barrett and even Sopoaga at test level.

So if Beauden Barrett can come out of his post 2017 form slump and put pressure on Mo'unga I would welcome it.

Cruden is a 50 test All Black during arguably the most successful All Black era of all time and deservedly so. Hopefully Mo'unga can turn his poor test form around and have a test career equal to Cruden's.
Welcome back Pakia Pakia, it's been ages since you posted regularly. I hope you are well. i could be mistaken but from memory you are a frothing Canes fan and Beauden Barrett's #1 fanboy? We need more BB acolytes on this forum :thumbup:

As an aside, why do so many Canes fans still passionately support BB? You guys realise he dumped your team, yeah?
Thank you for your kind welcome AC I am well.

I am a Blues fan. I would love to have Beauden Barrett back at the Blues but if I had a choice I would take RMo at the Blues over Barrett.
Pakia Pakia

Post by Pakia Pakia »

My current AB's team based on the comp form, prior test form, and injuries.

1. Aidan Ross
2. Codie Taylor
3. Ofa tuungafasi
4. Tupou Vaai
5. Sam Whitelock (c)
6. Shannon Frizzel
7. Dalton Papalii
8. Hoskins Sotutu
9. Aaron Smith
10. Richie Mo'unga
11. George Bridge
12. David Havili
13. Anton Lenant-Brown
14. Will Jordan
15. Damien Mackenzie
16. Dane Coles
17. Karl Tu'inukuafe
18. Angus Ta'avao
19. Scott Barrett
20. Luke Jacobson
21. Brad Weber
22. Jordie Barrett
23. Reiko Ioane

Unlucky: Leicester Faingaanuku, Akira Ioane ( test form ), Tom Robinson, De Groot, Etene Nanai-Seturo.

Not considered due to injury: Pari Pari Parkinson, PT, Ardie Savea, Sam Cane, Joe Moody, Jack Goodhue

Nepo Laulala was a huge disappointment at the Blues and we was penalised a lot at scrum time. He doesn't do enough around the field without his scrummaging.

Akira Ioane was up and down for the Blues which is a pity because he played really well for the ABs compared to all of the other blindsides since Kaino who have failed to make immediate impact.

Blindside is still an issue. Maybe Luke Jacobson should be picked there? Shannon Frizzel has been in good form at Super Rugby level as usual but he could just as easily go missing again in tests. Tom Robinson seems to loose for test rugby.

Jordie Barrett tries to do too much himself and DMac has been in great form. I'd like to see how RMo goes at 10 without someone stepping on his toes.

14 is a position of weakness. It's disappointing AJ Lam didn't get more opportunities to develop at the Blues.

I don't rate Caleb Clarke or Sevu Reece as All Black wingers. Both can be influential at Super Rugby level but there have been tonnes of influential wingers at Super Rugby level who weren't up to test rugby. They have been arguable the worst wing options this millennium for the ABs. Potentially the Blues might go better if Clarke and Ioane swapped positions. Clarke could be a good midfield option.

Leicester Faingaanuku probably deserves to be picked at 11 but I suspect like Jordie Barrett he lacks the pace to be a test winger. I think he is better suited to the midfield long term. George Bridge is a very good footballer.

Happy to pick a side with no Barrett's starting.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

He’s got to be allowed to relax and play his natural game , the defences are better but only very marginally .

I don’t want DMac or Jodie anywhere near the team , frankly and BB on the bench - Max .

Jordan at fullback - look at that try saving tackle ffs !

Havili on the bench .
tubbyj

Post by tubbyj »

I've been worried about New Zealand's locking stocks for the past two seasons but the signing of Dominic Bird by the Hurricanes and second a quiz question at the pub quiz last night about Chris Jack really got me thinking about it.

New Zealand seems to have problems producing tall solid locks who are physically equipped for international rugby and have the right attitude. That's why Brodie Retallick was such a revelation because he had all these attributes.

Which brings me to my point what is the problem with Patrick Tuipulotu? The guy has the physical size and attributes required to be a great international lock but with the added bonus of decent coordination which gave him the potential to redefine the way locks played. For short periods and occasional games he has looked the part only to turn around and disappoint the next week or in later games. Overall his career has been so far mainly underachievement and disappointment. I can only assume it to the mental/attitude thing but I don't know enough about him, does anybody else? Can they confirm what's the issue with him?

It was his time to shine with Retallick overseas to seize the position in the All Blacks and allow Sam Whitelock to to start thinking about a well deserved retirement. He was given the captaincy at the Blues probably with the hope the responsibility would lift him like it does for a lot of players but the opposite seem to have happened and he is now become the poster boy for apologizing for under achievement.

Anyway it's disappointing and now it's looking likely the All Blacks will go into the next World Cup with Whitelock playing past his prime while trying to coax the best out of Retallick who may have lost the desire which is not a recipe for success.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

I thought the Chiefs hooker was very good last night. Bit of a wrecking ball.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

obelixtim wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:58 pm I thought the Chiefs hooker was very good last night. Bit of a wrecking ball.
Samisoni Taukei’aho has been great all year. He's a bit like Asafo Aumua except he gets a lot more minutes because he's not playing behind Dane Coles. My heart was in my mouth every time Taukei’aho touched the ball last night and I'd be very happy to see him earn an AB test cap this year.
Last edited by Ali's Choice on Sat May 08, 2021 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:07 pm
obelixtim wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:58 pm I thought the Chiefs hooker was very good last night. Bit of a wrecking ball.
Samisoni Taukei’aho has been great all year. He's a bit like Asafo Aumua except he gets a lot more minutes because he's not playing behind Dane Coles. My heart was in my mouth every time Taukei’aho touched the ball last night and I'd be very happy to see him earn an B test cap this year.
Bugger me, I was trying to tell my missus exactly same thing last night,(noone of any real rugby discussing potential here ;) ) was saying I hoped they found a spot for him as it one position we pretty well off at moment.

Now should I be getting worried, hell mate that's 2 posts of yours I agree with this morning, and it only 9am :lol: .
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

tubbyj wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:54 pm I've been worried about New Zealand's locking stocks for the past two seasons but the signing of Dominic Bird by the Hurricanes and second a quiz question at the pub quiz last night about Chris Jack really got me thinking about it.

New Zealand seems to have problems producing tall solid locks who are physically equipped for international rugby and have the right attitude. That's why Brodie Retallick was such a revelation because he had all these attributes.

Which brings me to my point what is the problem with Patrick Tuipulotu? The guy has the physical size and attributes required to be a great international lock but with the added bonus of decent coordination which gave him the potential to redefine the way locks played. For short periods and occasional games he has looked the part only to turn around and disappoint the next week or in later games. Overall his career has been so far mainly underachievement and disappointment. I can only assume it to the mental/attitude thing but I don't know enough about him, does anybody else? Can they confirm what's the issue with him?

It was his time to shine with Retallick overseas to seize the position in the All Blacks and allow Sam Whitelock to to start thinking about a well deserved retirement. He was given the captaincy at the Blues probably with the hope the responsibility would lift him like it does for a lot of players but the opposite seem to have happened and he is now become the poster boy for apologizing for under achievement.

Anyway it's disappointing and now it's looking likely the All Blacks will go into the next World Cup with Whitelock playing past his prime while trying to coax the best out of Retallick who may have lost the desire which is not a recipe for success.
He did have an energy issue that they put down to poor diet.. but I wonder if there is something else going on? Are we going to find out he is a diabetic or something?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/rugby- ... JMKKKCNZU/
"I know I'm fit enough because I'm doing all the running and fitness tests outside games. But in the games I was getting gassed out too easily. Steve picked that up and put a plan in place.
les@mooloolaba

Post by les@mooloolaba »

I am now leaning more to Jordan as our starting FB, with DMAC on the bench. It is probably worth having him a go now before the next RWC, he is worth the experiment.

Jordan is solid at the back and is good at making a break. He doesn't have Jordie's boot, but then JB is prone to brain farts in big games. 6 of 1...
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

les@mooloolaba wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:19 am I am now leaning more to Jordan as our starting FB, with DMAC on the bench. It is probably worth having him a go now before the next RWC, he is worth the experiment.

Jordan is solid at the back and is good at making a break. He doesn't have Jordie's boot, but then JB is prone to brain farts in big games. 6 of 1...
Play Havili then, if you're worried about a big boot.

That was a 60m droppie he woofed last night.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

With SRA done and dusted, this is the team I'd like to see selected.

15. DMac
14. Reece
13. ALB
12. Havili
11. Bridge
10. Mo'unga
9. Smith

8. Sotutu
7. Savea
6. Frizell
5. Whitelock
4. Retallick (he's meant to be available, no?)
3. Laulala
2. Taylor
1. Ross

16. Coles
17. Tuinukuafe
18. Tu'ungaafasi
19. Barrett
20. Papalii
21. Weber
22. Ioane
23. Jordan

Squad (assuming 30): Taukiaho, Hodgman, Tuipolotu, Blackadder, Hall, Jordie, Faiingaanuku.
Peteray

Post by Peteray »

Grandpa wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:46 pm
tubbyj wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:54 pm I've been worried about New Zealand's locking stocks for the past two seasons but the signing of Dominic Bird by the Hurricanes and second a quiz question at the pub quiz last night about Chris Jack really got me thinking about it.

He did have an energy issue that they put down to poor diet.. but I wonder if there is something else going on? Are we going to find out he is a diabetic or something?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/rugby- ... JMKKKCNZU/
"I know I'm fit enough because I'm doing all the running and fitness tests outside games. But in the games I was getting gassed out too easily. Steve picked that up and put a plan in place.
I actually think lock is an area of strength for us: Retallick, Whitelock, Barrett, Vai, Tuipolotu, Parkinson, Strange, Dunshea, Dickson, Selby-Rickitt, Darry, Au Khoi, Cowley-Tuioti, Lord, and even Evans all playing very well!
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Frizell possibly gone if the shenanigans that reportedly occurred in Dunedin prove to be accurate.

Does that bring Jacobson, or perhaps Papali'i into the mix at six? I think both players are more than capable there, though Papali'i would be a slightly less conventional choice I reckon he is equally adept with perhaps shades of the Iceman when he moved to 6, or, gasp, Kaino. In fact, I think he is slightly more suited to 6 than 7.
Last edited by Ted. on Mon May 10, 2021 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

With Cane and Savea injured for the season, Dalton Papali'i is my starting no.7 for the AB's.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

One thing to keep in mind in the Jordie vs DMac debate is that Jordie has only had 7 starts at fullback.

Of the 16 tests he's started, he's played 9 out of position (8 wing, 1 first-five).

It's fair to say that Jordie hasn't really translated his talents to the international level yet - and has been actively detrimental at times - but he also hasn't been particularly well managed either.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:43 am With Cane and Savea injured for the season, Dalton Papali'i is my starting no.7 for the AB's.
Is Savea injured for the season? Last I heard it was 6-8 weeks, and that was about 4 weeks ago.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

If the reports of an assault in Dunedin on Saturday are correct, we may need another #6

I hope it's not that serious
elcamino

Post by elcamino »

mrbrownstone wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:48 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:43 am With Cane and Savea injured for the season, Dalton Papali'i is my starting no.7 for the AB's.
Is Savea injured for the season? Last I heard it was 6-8 weeks, and that was about 4 weeks ago.
Yeah Ardie will be back in a couple more weeks.

As good as Frizell was at 6 this soup I’m still not convinced cause he’s never kicked on - same with Patrick Tuipulotu. The back row mix is still a mess tbh
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

elcamino wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:06 am
mrbrownstone wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:48 am
Yeah Ardie will be back in a couple more weeks.

As good as Frizell was at 6 this soup I’m still not convinced cause he’s never kicked on - same with Patrick Tuipulotu. The back row mix is still a mess tbh
Yes, and;

Yes.

My main man Callum Grace has shit the bed this season, so to my mind it's between three Blues, a Chief and a Crusader. I am leaning towards two of the Blues, but can be persuaded otherwise.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

mrbrownstone wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:47 am One thing to keep in mind in the Jordie vs DMac debate is that Jordie has only had 7 starts at fullback.

Of the 16 tests he's started, he's played 9 out of position (8 wing, 1 first-five).

It's fair to say that Jordie hasn't really translated his talents to the international level yet - and has been actively detrimental at times - but he also hasn't been particularly well managed either.
It's tough and DMac's return to form after injury only makes it tougher. I'm pleased for DMac, was worried the injury was going to knock him back but all credit to him. The problem for Foster is that he's going to be pilloried no matter what he does here once BB is in the mix. My worry is that he'll stick with BB and Jordie in the starting 15 simply because it's easier to manage. When really he has to put Jordie or DMac in as full back and then find his wingers, with BB on the bench as the second best 10 which I still believe he is.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

A few people have made posts alluding to Shannon Frizell being in trouble with the law. Can anyone provide any generic details?
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:30 am A few people have made posts alluding to Shannon Frizell being in trouble with the law. Can anyone provide any generic details?
I haven’t copied the full article but the gist is:
All Blacks and Highlanders loose forward Shannon Frizell is alleged to have been involved in an assault on a woman at a Dunedin bar.

The alleged incident unfolded at Vault 21 in the small hours of Sunday morning, a popular restaurant/bar in the Octagon, the busy nightlife hub in the centre of the city.

Police confirmed they were investigating following a report of an assault at a “bar in the Octagon” at about 2.30am on Sunday.

Officers were not called to the incident, and police were notified of the allegations at noon on Sunday.
https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/30030 ... unedin-bar
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

JB1981 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:37 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:30 am A few people have made posts alluding to Shannon Frizell being in trouble with the law. Can anyone provide any generic details?
I haven’t copied the full article but the gist is:
All Blacks and Highlanders loose forward Shannon Frizell is alleged to have been involved in an assault on a woman at a Dunedin bar.

The alleged incident unfolded at Vault 21 in the small hours of Sunday morning, a popular restaurant/bar in the Octagon, the busy nightlife hub in the centre of the city.

Police confirmed they were investigating following a report of an assault at a “bar in the Octagon” at about 2.30am on Sunday.

Officers were not called to the incident, and police were notified of the allegations at noon on Sunday.
https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/30030 ... unedin-bar
Doesn't sound good at all!
Pakia Pakia

Post by Pakia Pakia »

If Shannon Frizzell reallly is in trouble do not threat.

Akira Ioane will save us.

Papali'i can cover 6 but 7 is comfortably his best position and the position best suited to him at test level.
Pakia Pakia

Post by Pakia Pakia »

Luke Jacobson could be an option at 6.

I wouldn't complain if Blackadder got a shot. He is a bit of a bosh merchant but a tireless grafter.

Does he have what it takes to be a test player?

Would a mix of Savea, Sotutu and Blackadder be a good balance?

Would they compliment each other?

Or would Blackadder be similar to Frizzell and struggle to make his mark at test level?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Pakia Pakia wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:49 am Luke Jacobson could be an option at 6.

I wouldn't complain if Blackadder got a shot. He is a bit of a bosh merchant but a tireless grafter.

Or would Blackadder be similar to Frizzell and struggle to make his mark at test level?
Lots of questions in the post.

Blackadder was the form no.6 of Super Rugby Aotearoa so IMO he'd be a good option. He's the most similar in playing style to Jerome Kaino in the current group of blindsides. Whilst he lacks the line breaking ability of someone like Akira Ioane, his workrate more than makes up for it. This backrow looks extremely well balanced;

8. Hoskins Sotutu
7. Ardie Savea
6. Ethan Blackadder

20. Luke Jacobson
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Flockwitt wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:30 am
mrbrownstone wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:47 am One thing to keep in mind in the Jordie vs DMac debate is that Jordie has only had 7 starts at fullback.

It's tough and DMac's return to form after injury only makes it tougher. I'm pleased for DMac, was worried the injury was going to knock him back but all credit to him. The problem for Foster is that he's going to be pilloried no matter what he does here once BB is in the mix. My worry is that he'll stick with BB and Jordie in the starting 15 simply because it's easier to manage. When really he has to put Jordie or DMac in as full back and then find his wingers, with BB on the bench as the second best 10 which I still believe he is.
That pretty much sums it up for me. :thumbup:
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:54 am
Pakia Pakia wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:49 am Luke Jacobson could be an option at 6.

Blackadder was the form no.6 of Super Rugby Aotearoa so IMO he'd be a good option. He's the most similar in playing style to Jerome Kaino in the current group of blindsides. Whilst he lacks the line breaking ability of someone like Akira Ioane, his workrate more than makes up for it. This backrow looks extremely well balanced;

8. Hoskins Sotutu
7. Ardie Savea
6. Ethan Blackadder

20. Luke Jacobson
Not sure Blackadder was the form six of the comp - that was Frizzel.

And why plan Ardie out of position - he’s an eight and wants to play eight?

It’s all bit of a mess...
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:16 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:54 am

8. Hoskins Sotutu
7. Ardie Savea
6. Ethan Blackadder

20. Luke Jacobson
Not sure Blackadder was the form six of the comp - that was Frizzel.

And why plan Ardie out of position - he’s an eight and wants to play eight?

It’s all bit of a mess...

Not sure if serious!
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

The thing about both Jordie Barrett and Damien McKenzie, is that the way they played during this year's SR season is not the way they will need to play for the AB's. Both players wore 15 but drifted into first reciever for three quarters of their team's attacking rucks. I don't want either of them do that for the AB's.

This is the backline I think Ian Foster will select;

15. Beauden Barrett
14. Jordie Barrett
13. Reiko Ioane
12. Anton Lienart-Brown
11. Caleb Clarke
10. Richie Mo'unga
9. Aaron Smith

21. Brad Weber
22. Damien McKenzie
23. Ngani Laumape

This is the backline that I would select;

15. Jordie Barrett
14. Will Jordan
13. Anton Lienart-Brown
12. David Havili
11. Rieko Ioane
10. Richie Mo'unga
9. Aaron Smith

21. Brad Weber
22. Beauden Barrett
23. Leicester Fainga'anuku
Peteray

Post by Peteray »

Jeez, I would think if Fozzy selects that lineup, he would alienate most of the fans, and a good many in-form players to boot. If ever a season cried out for vision, and a focus on the next RWC, it is this one.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:07 am The thing about both Jordie Barrett and Damien McKenzie, is that the way they played during this year's SR season is not the way they will need to play for the AB's. Both players wore 15 but drifted into first reciever for three quarters of their team's attacking rucks. I don't want either of them do that for the AB's.

This is the backline I think Ian Foster will select;

15. Beauden Barrett
14. Jordie Barrett
13. Reiko Ioane
12. Anton Lienart-Brown
11. Caleb Clarke
10. Richie Mo'unga
9. Aaron Smith

21. Brad Weber
22. Damien McKenzie
23. Ngani Laumape

This is the backline that I would select;

15. Jordie Barrett
14. Will Jordan
13. Anton Lienart-Brown
12. David Havili
11. Rieko Ioane
10. Richie Mo'unga
9. Aaron Smith

21. Brad Weber
22. Beauden Barrett
23. Leicester Fainga'anuku
I'm pretty sure Caleb's decision to play in the Olympics 7 team basically rules him out of contention.