All Black squad selection thread

All things Rugby
obelixtim

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by obelixtim »

terangi48 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:52 am My team.....

15. Will Jordan
14. Rieko Ioane
13. Anton Lienert Brown
12. David Havilli
11. Sevu Reece
10. Richie Mo'unga
9. Aaron Smith

8. Hoskins Sotutu
7. Ardie Savea
6. Shannon Frizzell
5. Sam Whitelock
4. Scott Barrett
3. Nepo Laulala
2. Codie Taylor
1. Joe Moody

16. Dane Coles
17. Karl Tu'inukuafe
18. Ofa Tu'ungfasi
19. Pari Pari Parkinson
20. Luke Jacobson
21. Folau Fakatava
22. Salesi Rayasi
23. Ngani Laumape
Lumpy won't get a look in now he's heading north. Still not convinced Sotutu is as good as he's made out to be, I think Luke J has been better at 8.

As for Japan, haven't they just changed the criteria for ring ins? Wanting more locals in the Japanese club teams.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Kiwias wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:14 am A rather odd bloke on FB suggested this backline but I am not sure he is being serious.

Mo'unga 10, Jordan 11, B Barrett 12, J Barrett 14, Mckenzie 15. Dual playmakers didn't work out in 2019 so I think we need to shift up to 5 playmakers
Why stop there? Havili 13 for maximum playmakers.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

mrbrownstone wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:26 am
Kiwias wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:14 am A rather odd bloke on FB suggested this backline but I am not sure he is being serious.

Mo'unga 10, Jordan 11, B Barrett 12, J Barrett 14, Mckenzie 15. Dual playmakers didn't work out in 2019 so I think we need to shift up to 5 playmakers
F**king BANZAI :lol:
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

obelixtim wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:08 am
terangi48 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:52 am My team.....

15. Will Jordan
14. Rieko Ioane
13. Anton Lienert Brown
12. David Havilli
11. Sevu Reece
10. Richie Mo'unga
9. Aaron Smith

8. Hoskins Sotutu
7. Ardie Savea
6. Shannon Frizzell
5. Sam Whitelock
4. Scott Barrett
3. Nepo Laulala
2. Codie Taylor
1. Joe Moody

16. Dane Coles
17. Karl Tu'inukuafe
18. Ofa Tu'ungfasi
19. Pari Pari Parkinson
20. Luke Jacobson
21. Folau Fakatava
22. Salesi Rayasi
23. Ngani Laumape
Lumpy won't get a look in now he's heading north. Still not convinced Sotutu is as good as he's made out to be, I think Luke J has been better at 8.

As for Japan, haven't they just changed the criteria for ring ins? Wanting more locals in the Japanese club teams.
Yep from what I read, Japan have made number of overseas players 3, but they have to be test quality, and anyone else has to declare themselves as Japanese players and be available at least for Japan. Think they looking at paying bigger money for test players etc.
Something along the lines of having a few players getting over a Million a year to make it an attractive sport for young Japanese kids to look at.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

mrbrownstone wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:26 am

I think you need to be a part time 10 to be playmaker so that excludes Jordan & Havilli (not played SR at 10 - correct me if wrong) but does add:

TJ - as our 9/10
Josh Ioane at 11
Harry Plummer at 13...
And Harry
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

All all-playmaker backline and bench

9. Aaron Smith
10. Richie Mo'unga
11. Josh Ioane
12. David Havili
13. Jordie Barrett
14. Damien McKenzie
15. Beauden Barrett

21. TJ Perenara
22. Otere Black
23. Anton Lienart-Brown

The fiercest contest of the match will be for who gets to stand in the first receiver channel.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Pakia Pakia wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:15 am X-Factor is not a requirement to be a RWC winning fullback. Just ask Willie Le Roux and Percy Montgomery.
Willie Le Roux was an X factor fullback... but anyway... this is the All Blacks. It's not about winning the World Cup.. it's about how you win. That is what separates the All Blacks from everyone else. It's why I have supported them since I was a kid (Instead of England), because they are different...
They have an X Factor... we don't want to win the World Cup any old way. We saw that in the 2011 final... and it was deeply unsatisfying. I don't want that experience again.. being relieved at a win.. instead of blowing the other team off the park... 1987 and 2015 is the All Black way. Lets not be followers, the All Blacks lead, excite and inspire... I hope we never lose that ethos, by picking pragmatism over inspiration.
trapper

Post by trapper »

Grandpa wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:22 pm
Pakia Pakia wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:15 am X-Factor is not a requirement to be a RWC winning fullback. Just ask Willie Le Roux and Percy Montgomery.
Willie Le Roux was an X factor fullback... but anyway... this is the All Blacks. It's not about winning the World Cup.. it's about how you win. That is what separates the All Blacks from everyone else. It's why I have supported them since I was a kid (Instead of England), because they are different...
They have an X Factor... we don't want to win the World Cup any old way. We saw that in the 2011 final... and it was deeply unsatisfying. I don't want that experience again.. being relieved at a win.. instead of blowing the other team off the park... 1987 and 2015 is the All Black way. Lets not be followers, the All Blacks lead, excite and inspire... I hope we never lose that ethos, by picking pragmatism over inspiration.
Amen
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

I could not have said it better.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

I'll take some structure and system, myself. Playing Sevens' style kamikaze running the ball from behind your own line is X factor stuff and that has no place in high stakes games.

I think the word you're looking for is flair.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Yeh well that attitude is all well and good when the ABs are winning. Start losing and that ethos will need a reality check. I rather think the AB supporter base has been spoiled by having a bunch of best or near best in the world players in every position and on the bench. That privilege may not last.
Pakia Pakia

Post by Pakia Pakia »

They have an X Factor... we don't want to win the World Cup any old way. We saw that in the 2011 final... and it was deeply unsatisfying.
Willie Le Roux is not an X factor player.

Israel Dagg was an X Factor player and it made no difference to the playing style in 2011.

I found the win deeply satisfying myself.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Flockwitt wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:10 am Yeh well that attitude is all well and good when the ABs are winning. Start losing and that ethos will need a reality check. I rather think the AB supporter base has been spoiled by having a bunch of best or near best in the world players in every position and on the bench. That privilege may not last.
Ability-wise, I still think NZ has the best raw talent in the world. Doing the basics is a given as an All Black, so the point of difference for every NZ player, is what do you add beyond the core skills... what do you bring to the jersey?

Whether this manifests itself in performance depends on the coaches. Look at the Crusaders, their players individually aren't any superior to the other franchises, but as a collective Razor, has harnessed better than anyone, Kiwi magic allied to ruthless efficiency. I'm a Blues fan and I suspect if Scott Robertson was the Blues coach he could make them at least as good as the Crusaders.

That's the All Black way, making a team better than the sum of it's parts. How? By extracting that point of difference out of every player.. whether it's flair, rugby nous, or x-factor... NZ just has to have the right coaches in charge, ...then I believe they can continue to have world class players giving world class performances...

NZ doesn't have the best win/loss record of any national rugby team by accident... but you are right, it is a privilege... but I think Kiwis understand that and treasure it. And that is a big part of why the All Blacks are so special.

I'm English by birth, but spent a lot of my youth living in both NZ and the UK... so I have a sort of outsiders as well as insiders perspective....
Last edited by Grandpa on Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Couch

Post by Couch »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:53 pm All all-playmaker backline and bench

9. Aaron Smith
10. Richie Mo'unga
11. Josh Ioane
12. David Havili
13. Jordie Barrett
14. Damien McKenzie
15. Beauden Barrett

21. TJ Perenara
22. Otere Black
23. Anton Lienart-Brown

The fiercest contest of the match will be for who gets to stand in the first receiver channel.
You missed Ngani Laumape
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Grandpa wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:49 am
Ability-wise, I still think NZ has the best raw talent in the world. Doing the basics is a given as an All Black, so the point of difference for every NZ player, is what do you add beyond the core skills... what do you bring to the jersey?

Whether this manifests itself in performance depends on the coaches. Look at the Crusaders, their players individually aren't any superior to the other franchises, but as a collective Razor, has harnessed better than anyone, Kiwi magic allied to ruthless efficiency. I'm a Blues fan and I suspect if Scott Robertson was the Blues coach he could make them at least as good as the Crusaders.

That's the All Black way, making a team better than the sum of it's parts. How? By extracting that point of difference out of every player.. whether it's flair, rugby nous, or x-factor... NZ just has to have the right coaches in charge, ...then I believe they can continue to have world class players giving world class performances...

NZ doesn't have the best win/loss record of any national rugby team by accident... but you are right, it is a privilege... but I think Kiwis understand that and treasure it. And that is a big part of why the All Blacks are so special.

I'm English by birth, but spent a lot of my youth living in both NZ and the UK... so I have a sort of outsiders as well as insiders perspective....
I appreciate the sentiment and not meaning that in a facetious way. It's one of the things that makes me leery of the Silver Lake deal. An external party who does not have a grasp of the intangible aspects of a national side with a unique history, not simply a commercial team.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Flockwitt wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:21 am
Grandpa wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:49 am

I appreciate the sentiment and not meaning that in a facetious way. It's one of the things that makes me leery of the Silver Lake deal. An external party who does not have a grasp of the intangible aspects of a national side with a unique history, not simply a commercial team.
I'm in agreement with you there re Silver Lake. It's of some relief I guess that if nothing else, the player's impasse has forced the deal to be analysed more closely by everyone.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Couch wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:49 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:53 pm All all-playmaker backline and bench

9. Aaron Smith
10. Richie Mo'unga
11. Josh Ioane
12. David Havili
13. Jordie Barrett
14. Damien McKenzie
15. Beauden Barrett

21. TJ Perenara
22. Otere Black
23. Anton Lienart-Brown

You missed Ngani Laumape
He's no playmaker.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

booji boy wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:02 am
Couch wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:49 am

9. Aaron Smith
10. Richie Mo'unga
11. Josh Ioane
12. David Havili
13. Jordie Barrett
14. Damien McKenzie
15. Beauden Barrett

21. TJ Perenara
22. Otere Black
23. Anton Lienart-Brown

You missed Ngani Laumape
He's no playmaker.
Exactly. And a couple of internet posters saying he is doesn't make it so.
Pakia Pakia

Post by Pakia Pakia »

My X-Factor backline:

9. Folau Fakatava
10. Richie Mo'unga
11. Reiko Ioane
12. Salesi Rayasi
13. Leicester Fainga'anuku
14. Bryce Heem
15. Will Jordan

21. Cameron Roigard
22. Beauden Barrett
23. Jona Nareki
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Pakia Pakia wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:31 am My X-Factor backline:

9. Folau Fakatava
10. Richie Mo'unga
11. Reiko Ioane
12. Salesi Rayasi
14. Bryce Heem
15. Will Jordan

21. Cameron Roigard
22. Beauden Barrett
23. Jona Nareki
:lol: You need to get Salesi Rayasi's dick out of your mouth.
Pakia Pakia

Post by Pakia Pakia »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:33 am

9. Folau Fakatava
10. Richie Mo'unga
11. Reiko Ioane
12. Salesi Rayasi
14. Bryce Heem
15. Will Jordan

21. Cameron Roigard
22. Beauden Barrett
23. Jona Nareki
:lol: I've gone for maximum X-Factor as advocated by Grandpa, Kiwias and Trapper. I'm not actually an advocate for maximum X-Factor and I actually thing Nareki is an all round better player than Rayasi. Rayasi does have good all round skills and might be an option at 12 just as Nonu was. Something about him creates doubt in my mind. Maybe he just needs more game time.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Pakia Pakia wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:42 am

9. Folau Fakatava
10. Richie Mo'unga
11. Reiko Ioane
12. Salesi Rayasi
14. Bryce Heem
15. Will Jordan

21. Cameron Roigard
22. Beauden Barrett
23. Jona Nareki
:lol: I've gone for maximum X-Factor as advocated by Grandpa, Kiwias and Trapper. I'm not actually an advocate for maximum X-Factor and I actually thing Nareki is an all round better player than Rayasi. Rayasi does have good all round skills and might be an option at 12 just as Nonu was. Something about him creates doubt in my mind. Maybe he just needs more game time.
I agree with you that Jona Nareki deserves to be test capped this year. I like him a lot and I think he's shown more than enough to be rewarded with a call-up. What I really like about him is that he seems like an 11/14 hybrid. He has the power and speed of a power winger but the boot and skills of a traditional NZ no.14. He could also play 15.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:48 am He could also play 15.
Jordie hater
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Can we just make it clear that being an X factor player doesn't automatically make that player a flake who's great in 40 point romps but falls apart when the going gets tough. Look at recent examples like Ben Smith and Dan Carter. Both oozing with X factor, flair and excitement but both also the best in the world in their respective positions. These two were equally effective in high scoring romps as they are in tough, tight, low scoring test matches where they just need to do the basics, plug the corners, kick the goals, defuse the high balls etc. Richie Mounga fits into this description to. Oozing with flair and X factor which is often the difference between the Crusaders and their opposition.

I think the analogy Grandpa used above is a good one. The Blues are full of X factor players who fall apart under pressure. The Crusaders are full of X factor players who knuckle down and do the basics and show a little more composure and patience when the going gets tough. Is it really the individual players or more down to the coaching, the team structures, ethics, culture and spirit that is the difference?

Plenty of Blues players leave the franchise and become top class performers whereas conversely good players come to the Blues and turn into flakes.
Masterji

Post by Masterji »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:48 am
Pakia Pakia wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:42 am

9. Folau Fakatava
10. Richie Mo'unga
11. Reiko Ioane
12. Salesi Rayasi
14. Bryce Heem
15. Will Jordan

21. Cameron Roigard
22. Beauden Barrett
23. Jona Nareki
I agree with you that Jona Nareki deserves to be test capped this year. I like him a lot and I think he's shown more than enough to be rewarded with a call-up. What I really like about him is that he seems like an 11/14 hybrid. He has the power and speed of a power winger but the boot and skills of a traditional NZ no.14. He could also play 15.
How tall is he?
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

175 .. shorter (Smith was 185, Jordie is another 10 again - 8 inches taller)
puku

Post by puku »

9. Folau Fakatava
10. Richie Mo'unga
11. Reiko Ioane
12. Salesi Rayasi
14. Bryce Heem
15. Will Jordan

21. Cameron Roigard
22. Beauden Barrett
23. Jona Nareki
Rayasi is silk. The guy glides across the pitch and I fully expect him to be a long term wing for the ABs.
Pakia Pakia

Post by Pakia Pakia »

booji boy wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:27 pm Can we just make it clear that being an X factor player doesn't automatically make that player a flake who's great in 40 point romps but falls apart when the going gets tough. Look at recent examples like Ben Smith and Dan Carter. Both oozing with X factor, flair and excitement but both also the best in the world in their respective positions. These two were equally effective in high scoring romps as they are in tough, tight, low scoring test matches where they just need to do the basics, plug the corners, kick the goals, defuse the high balls etc. Richie Mounga fits into this description to. Oozing with flair and X factor which is often the difference between the Crusaders and their opposition.

I think the analogy Grandpa used above is a good one. The Blues are full of X factor players who fall apart under pressure. The Crusaders are full of X factor players who knuckle down and do the basics and show a little more composure and patience when the going gets tough. Is it really the individual players or more down to the coaching, the team structures, ethics, culture and spirit that is the difference?

Plenty of Blues players leave the franchise and become top class performers whereas conversely good players come to the Blues and turn into flakes.
You can also not be an X-Factor player and be a flake.
deverix

Post by deverix »

booji boy wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:27 pm Can we just make it clear that being an X factor player doesn't automatically make that player a flake who's great in 40 point romps but falls apart when the going gets tough.
Exactly.

J.Barrett has been consistently a more composed & rounded player than Jordan in SR Aotearoa under pressure (great potential but requires a lot of refining - despite bring only 10 months younger than Barrett). Unfortunately Jordie has the surname that seems to bring out all the haters.

Unlike the turnstile on defense Will Jordan, J.Barrett has an all-round skill set, a great rugby brain & is the only back I’ve seen who is prepared to (and has the strength to) do clean outs in tackled ball situations and turn over the ball for his team. He's a complete player but no-one on here is willing to acknowledge it out of fear of being ridiculed.
Last edited by deverix on Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:51 am, edited 5 times in total.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

The Tahs have been full of them as a worse case scenario example.
Last edited by Eugenius on Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

deverix wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:45 am Exactly.

J.Barrett has been consistently a more composed & rounded player than Jordan in SR Aotearoa under pressure (great potential but requires a lot of refining - despite bring only 10 months younger than Barrett). Unfortunately Jordie has the surname that seems to bring out all the haters.

Unlike the turnstile on defense Will Jordan, J.Barrett has an all-round skill set, a great rugby brain & is the only back I’ve seen who is prepared to (and has the strength to) do clean outs in tackled ball situations and turn over the ball for his team. He's a complete player but no-one on here is willing to acknowledge it out of fear of being ridiculed.
Is this the poster who had wet dreams about SBW?
trapper

Post by trapper »

Kiwias wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:53 am

Douche Chill?

Could well be.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

trapper wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:58 am

SBW has been consistently a more composed & rounded player than Nonu in SR under pressure (great potential but requires a lot of refining - despite bring only 3 years younger than Nonu). Unfortunately SBW has the name that seems to bring out all the haters.

Unlike the turnstile on defense of Nonu, SBW has an all-round skill set, a great rugby brain & is the only back I’ve seen who is prepared to (and has the strength to) do clean outs in tackled ball situations and turn over the ball for his team. He's a complete player but no-one on here is willing to acknowledge it out of fear of being ridiculed.
Douche Chill?

Could well be.
I fixed the post for him.
trapper

Post by trapper »

Kiwias wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:20 am

SBW has been consistently a more composed & rounded player than Nonu in SR under pressure (great potential but requires a lot of refining - despite bring only 3 years younger than Nonu). Unfortunately SBW has the name that seems to bring out all the haters.

Unlike the turnstile on defense of Nonu, SBW has an all-round skill set, a great rugby brain & is the only back I’ve seen who is prepared to (and has the strength to) do clean outs in tackled ball situations and turn over the ball for his team. He's a complete player but no-one on here is willing to acknowledge it out of fear of being ridiculed.
Douche Chill?

Could well be.
OMG :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pakia Pakia

Post by Pakia Pakia »

puku wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:57 am

9. Folau Fakatava
10. Richie Mo'unga
11. Reiko Ioane
12. Salesi Rayasi
14. Bryce Heem
15. Will Jordan

21. Cameron Roigard
22. Beauden Barrett
23. Jona Nareki
Rayasi is silk. The guy glides across the pitch and I fully expect him to be a long term wing for the ABs.
He is a freak. Like Jordan the value of the good far outweighs the bad.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

There is no 'bad'.

There is only 'not quite ready'.
Pakia Pakia

Post by Pakia Pakia »

Douche Chill?

Could well be.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pakia Pakia

Post by Pakia Pakia »

Douche Chill?

Could well be.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pakia Pakia

Post by Pakia Pakia »

guy smiley wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:19 am There is no 'bad'.

There is only 'not quite ready'.
I've seen Jordan do some very stupid things. 21 year old Jordie Barrett level brain farts.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Douche Chill?

Could well be.