Munster v Toulouse

All things Rugby
diarm

Re: Munster v Toulouse

Post by diarm »

danthefan wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:00 pm Just saw this on twitter.

That was an absolute shocker from CJ who was the only player in red who played as badly as he did last week. Maybe even worse.

I've a feeling that in addition to butchering the overlap, he also got turned over in that play.
Rumham

Post by Rumham »

I vividly remember Stander killing that ball.

He was out on his arse the past two weeks as Ireland flogged him but on the past two games he's not a huge loss. That was indefensible and not the first time either. Today was a day to run ball. Not die with it.
Brian9848

Post by Brian9848 »

Munster-fogs wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:35 pm Munster were a totally different team to last week. They played with intensity and conviction and proved that they can still play ball with the big boys. It was refreshing to see us put the box kicking to one side and throw the ball around, which we were very good at. They really REALLY need to learn from that and use the tactic more and put the kicking behind them. They should have done it last week and at least we would have given Leinster a harder time of things.
Munster didn't have any ball to play with last week. When Munster did, it was slow and off the back foot. Any attempt to move the ball had Munster being ht way, way behind the gain line.
Lazy Couch potato

Post by Lazy Couch potato »

Mr. Very Popular wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:44 pm
redderneck wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:23 pm
danthefan wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:09 pm Bit of a sickener for Munster, could definitely have won. On the last Toulouse try, it was almost like different angles showed different things, I've always maintained if it's that hard to tell whether it's a try or not you should stick with your guns and give it. It definitely went off his head, it was hard to know if it hit his hand.
Hi
Odd game in some respects. Even when we were ahead we had no control. Never a good sign, especially against as good an outfit as Toulouse who WILL score tries. We are struggling with decision-making around when to crank it tight and when to go looser.

I am looking forward to seeing us next season. More from the younger halves. Fewer oldstagers in the backrow. Nagging concern that we'll need to see new leaders emerge and where they'll come from?
Coombes is 100% captain material, and this season will stand to him, he'll be captain season after next at the latest.
fl

Future captain will be Casey in my opinion. Coombes has been very impressive the past two weeks. Needs a few others to step up now

Re today nearly never bulled a cow. Bench impact was massive for them.
A bench of jwch Knox/salanoa Jenkings fwycherley bench next yrs will hopefully help

Anyway. I should be having pints with Frenchmen and heading for a jasmine palace. f**king lockdown
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

Lazy Couch potato wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:13 pm
Mr. Very Popular wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:44 pm
redderneck wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:23 pm
danthefan wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:09 pm Bit of a sickener for Munster, could definitely have won. On the last Toulouse try, it was almost like different angles showed different things, I've always maintained if it's that hard to tell whether it's a try or not you should stick with your guns and give it. It definitely went off his head, it was hard to know if it hit his hand.
Hi
Odd game in some respects. Even when we were ahead we had no control. Never a good sign, especially against as good an outfit as Toulouse who WILL score tries. We are struggling with decision-making around when to crank it tight and when to go looser.

I am looking forward to seeing us next season. More from the younger halves. Fewer oldstagers in the backrow. Nagging concern that we'll need to see new leaders emerge and where they'll come from?
Coombes is 100% captain material, and this season will stand to him, he'll be captain season after next at the latest.
fl

Future captain will be Casey in my opinion. Coombes has been very impressive the past two weeks. Needs a few others to step up now

Re today nearly never bulled a cow. Bench impact was massive for them.
A bench of jwch Knox/salanoa Jenkings fwycherley bench next yrs will hopefully help

Anyway. I should be having pints with Frenchmen and heading for a jasmine palace. f**king lockdown
Should be in Mother Mac's and heading for wings.
Bought myself a lovely little draught machine a few weeks back, staving off the want some bit.
Lazy Couch potato

Aw stop. You’d miss it on days like today. Win or lose

Jvg is a spoofer tho.
Munster-fogs

Post by Munster-fogs »

Lazy Couch potato wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:32 pm Aw stop. You’d miss it on days like today. Win or lose

Jvg is a spoofer tho.
Yeah, massive improvement today but I don't think we'll do much with him at the helm. I know when he was announced a lot of the Saffas on here were glad to see the back of him, and let's not forget this is his first head coach role. I'd be willing to hold judgement on Larkham for the moment. Today was the first time in a long time that we threw the ball around and we looked sharp. Hopefully we'll see more of it whenever we play again.
Lazy Couch potato

Munster-fogs wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:36 pm
Lazy Couch potato wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:32 pm Aw stop. You’d miss it on days like today. Win or lose

Jvg is a spoofer tho.
Yeah, massive improvement today but I don't think we'll do much with him at the helm. I know when he was announced a lot of the Saffas on here were glad to see the back of him, and let's not forget this is his first head coach role. I'd be willing to hold judgement on Larkham for the moment. Today was the first time in a long time that we threw the ball around and we looked sharp. Hopefully we'll see more of it whenever we play again.
100% fogs. But we’ve rarely thrown it around. It’s almost like it’s so alien for a team to see us doing it that it actually works

We’re no stronger than we were a year or two years or three years ago.
Our main European team has barely changed. Especially in the positions we clearly needed to strengthen
Lazy Couch potato

Larkham is finished his second year....
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Cracking match.... Hard luck Munster.
Mr. Very Popular

Jvg is a spoofer tho.
Mostly win though.
Not bringing on Cloete once Beirne went off was a big mistake, a style of play would be nice to see,as it is it's Larkham is doing a good job, Rowntree is doing a good job, meshing them.together is an absolute mess
blindsider

Post by blindsider »

Toulouse ball-handling skills were v impressive. Seemed to me that our lads saw them and decided to give it a go too - it worked to some extent, but Toulouse were another level.

It seems obvious to me that we have several players who need to do nothing but ball handling drills for a week in pre-season.

Not awfully disappointed with today - we turned up and we fought hard. Still doesn't make up for last week and we need several more efforts like that.

If the Rainbow Cup is gomne, that's our season over....
Mr. Very Popular

Lazy Couch potato wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:46 pm

Jvg is a spoofer tho.
100% fogs. But we’ve rarely thrown it around. It’s almost like it’s so alien for a team to see us doing it that it actually works

Our main European team has barely changed. Especially in the positions we clearly needed to strengthen
Hooker has been a huge issue, KOB is our best, it seems JVG just doesn't like him for some reason.
No real issue with the scrum these days, rarely beaten out and out.
We have a quality 2nd row depth, backrow will be a bit callow next year, and that's no harm.
Half backs, are a bit off elite level as units, not that far off though.
Lazy Couch potato

blindsider wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:50 pm Toulouse ball-handling skills were v impressive. Seemed to me that our lads saw them and decided to give it a go too - it worked to some extent, but Toulouse were another level.

It seems obvious to me that we have several ppl players who need to do nothing but ball handling drills for a week in pre-season.

Not awfully disappointed with today - we turned up and we fought hard. Still doesn't make up for last week and we need several more efforts like that.

Yes we need to upskill massively. Especially up front. We obviously still need to size up but you need to be able to hurt teams both ways
Munster-fogs

Post by Munster-fogs »

Mr. Very Popular wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:52 pm
Lazy Couch potato wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:46 pm

Jvg is a spoofer tho.

Hooker has been a huge issue, KOB is our best, it seems JVG just doesn't like him for some reason.
No real issue with the scrum these days, rarely beaten out and out.
We have a quality 2nd row depth, backrow will be a bit callow next year, and that's no harm.
Half backs, are a bit off elite level as units, not that far off though.
Speaking of which, I was disappointed with Carbery today. The game was made for him with the dry ball but just never got going, and his defending was non existent at times. He's just back from a long lay off though so I'm sure he'll come good.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Carbery needs quick ball to get the best out of his feeling for space, and Murray is not the man for that. Munster need to give Casey and Carbery a run of games. de Allende in space looks a completely different player to the one that has spent most of the season looking for contact. You need a baller at 13 outside him, and Chris Farrell ain't it. You need to tap up one of the younger Leinster/Ulster backs, and you then have a backline that can create space for two genuinely quick wings.

I think your pack will sort itself out. It won't be man-eating but just has to provide a scrum platform for your own ball, and your LO will look after itself.

Whether JvG is the coach you need, I'll pass on. You have had, for one reason or another, a large turnover of coaches, really since Kidney took the Irish job, and van Graan setting up structures may be the most important thing he can do.
Munster-fogs

Post by Munster-fogs »

camroc1 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:59 pm Carbery needs quick ball to get the best out of his feeling for space, and Murray is not the man for that. Munster need to give Casey and Carbery a run of games. de Allende in space looks a completely different player to the one that has spent most of the season looking for contact. You need a baller at 13 outside him, and Chris Farrell ain't it. You need to tap up one of the younger Leinster/Ulster backs, and you then have a backline that can create space for two genuinely quick wings.

I think your pack will sort itself out. It won't be man-eating but just has to provide a scrum platform for your own ball, and your LO will look after itself.

Whether JvG is the coach you need, I'll pass on. You have had, for one reason or another, a large turnover of coaches, really since Kidney took the Irish job, and van Graan setting up structures may be the most important thing he can do.
I'd agree with a lot of that. We desperately wanted to keep hold of Rassie but once South Africa came calling there was only going to be one outcome. Rob Penny was ok for us but he probably didn't have the same quality in his squad that JvG has now.
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

I think Penney was overrated tbh, stick DOC on wing and played an open game for sake of it, caught Ulster and a few pro14 teams out in 1st few games but got figured out fairly easily, wasn't it Paulie made him look good vs quinns and then he played open style vs Toulon in Marseiile when tighter plan probably would've seen them win
Mr. Very Popular

I really think JVG as a DOR rather than coach would be a better situation, give the plan, get coaches to deliver it. JJ going is a bit of a blessing as it means Joey is now the senior 10 and either has to deliver or get shoved off by a young gun.
diarm

Post by diarm »

I'm not sure about Van Graan as DoR. Every minute he spends on the training pitch is a minute he can't spend signing South Africans. Still the fecker in an office and we'll be overrun.
Lazy Couch potato

Agree on an awful lot of that. Jvg is a ceo and probably a decent one at that but I’m unconvinced he’s a decent coach. Is larkham the one to start picking the team tho?

As our esteemed Leinster colleagues have always told us chocolate joey might be better put at 15. Hard to see any coach putting him and Casey together and not seeing an m50. Perhaps hide him with Haley at wing?
Munster-fogs

Post by Munster-fogs »

MUNSTER COACH JOHANN Van Graan refused to criticise referee Wayne Barnes after his team crashed out of Europe today.

Three decisions – one to award a late try to Antoine Dupont, another to disallow a score for Andrew Conway and a third, when Tadhg Beirne was fouled by Francois Cros – didn’t go Munster’s way. Nor did the result and so, for a second year in a row, they have failed to reach the Champions Cup quarter-finals.

“Firstly, all 23 of our guys gave it their all,” said Van Graan. “It’s very disappointing to lose an incredible game of rugby but I am incredibly proud of the lads today. We gave it our best short and we literally came up short by one try.

“We went for the try, on the forward pass, I think it was from Keith (Earls) to Andrew (Conway) and we got three points. Hopefully we would have got seven there.

“I think that was a big swing there because there were a lot of seven pointers. But give credit where credit is due, well done to Toulouse.”

On the issue of Beirne’s rib injury, following Cros’ challenge and Dupont’s second try, which was the difference between the sides, Van Graan opted not to comment. “Look, there were a few incidents in the game that we will review and then we will follow the normal protocols with Joel Jutge on Monday,” he said.

The game turned in the final quarter when Toulouse emptied their bench. “I thought their replacements did well but I thought ours did too. They’ve got such an amount of power. I think we handled their scrum exceptionally well. That’s where they get a lot of access against teams to go to the corner.

“Plus, I felt we stuck to the task of stopping their maul, their five yard opportunities and the try that they scored off that line-out, I don’t think Billy Holland could go more to his right than he did.”
Lazy Couch potato

diarm wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:36 pm I'm not sure about Van Graan as DoR. Every minute he spends on the training pitch is a minute he can't spend signing South Africans. Still the fecker in an office and we'll be overrun.
I think he sees the issues. Understands that we’ve been blown out of the water physically again and again and looks for the biggest cheapest chap out there who is invariably Seth effrican.
I think he’s under massive massive pressure to make it now and I don’t think he sees progressing younger Munster players as an important part of it. It either hasn’t been prioritised or he’s thinking the next step of his career. I think he sees Munster getting a trophy as the bee all.
Mr. Very Popular

Lazy Couch potato wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:52 pm
diarm wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:36 pm I'm not sure about Van Graan as DoR. Every minute he spends on the training pitch is a minute he can't spend signing South Africans. Still the fecker in an office and we'll be overrun.
I think he sees the issues. Understands that we’ve been blown out of the water physically again and again and looks for the biggest cheapest chap out there who is invariably Seth effrican.
I think he’s under massive massive pressure to make it now and I don’t think he sees progressing younger Munster players as an important part of it. It either hasn’t been prioritised or he’s thinking the next step of his career. I think he sees Munster getting a trophy as the bee all.
In fairness, Snyman would have had a huge impact so that's something he has in his pocket.
Front row apart from Killer needs work though. After that it's a quality pack.
diarm

Post by diarm »

Mr. Very Popular wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:55 pm
In fairness, Snyman would have had a huge impact so that's something he has in his pocket.
Front row apart from Killer needs work though. After that it's a quality pack.
Swap the 2 hookers on the field today and we win that game. Your man is an absolute monster! He's like the Tadgh Furlong of hookers!
DOB

Post by DOB »

blindsider wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:50 pm Toulouse ball-handling skills were v impressive. Seemed to me that our lads saw them and decided to give it a go too - it worked to some extent, but Toulouse were another level.

It seems obvious to me that we have several players who need to do nothing but ball handling drills for a week in pre-season.

Jaysus. I’ve only been saying that about Munster since 2004. Is it getting through?
Lazy Couch potato

Hooker and progress Knox or salanoa to the level that they can be 30 minute bruisers would be a start. But we’re very far off it at hooker. Buckley could be 2 years off
I see mbongi is signing for harlequins.
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

He sees what we all see, which is that culchies from the west of Ireland lack the genetic heft to compete at the highest level.

Leinster just about manage it, given the higher proportion of Saxon/Protestant genes in the Leinster gene pool (Exhibit A: Tadgh Furlong).

Munster have no chance of progressing beyond a Heineken semi unless they go big into the English/South African market and sign some superior genetic beasts
diarm

Post by diarm »

MrDominator wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:02 pm
He sees what we all see, which is that culchies from the west of Ireland lack the genetic heft to compete at the highest level.

Leinster just about manage it, given the higher proportion of Saxon/Protestant genes in the Leinster gene pool (Exhibit A: Tadgh Furlong).

Munster have no chance of progressing beyond a Heineken semi unless they go big into the English/South African market and sign some superior genetic beasts
Was there a single player from the West of Ireland out there today? Maybe JJ at a stretch but he's not there for his heft anyway.

We won two European Cups with an entirely Munster bred 8. It wasn't till we started polluting the blood with all the Saxon and South African types that it all went to shite.
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

diarm wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:05 pm

Was there a single player from the West of Ireland out there today? Maybe JJ at a stretch but he's not there for his heft anyway.

We won two European Cups with an entirely Munster bred 8. It wasn't till we started polluting the blood with all the Saxon and South African types that it all went to shite.
Proves my point lad.

Can't even make their local team
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

What has JVG done to suggest he'd be a good director of rugby ?
Lazy Couch potato

ticketlessinseattle wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:13 pm What has JVG done to suggest he'd be a good director of rugby ?
I don’t think another coaching change and another and another is ideal.
Lazy Couch potato

Actually ticketless a better question is who, with any level of experience is out there that is going to be a step up.
Mcgahan was a first time coach. Penney had been overlooked in kiwiland despite 4itm cups. Erasmus hadn’t coached in a while. Jvg was a forwards coach at the boks

It’s always a risk
diarm

Post by diarm »

Get Rog home. It's time.
Mr. Very Popular

Sexton has a Kerry bloodline, related to John B Keane.
Mr. Very Popular

Lazy Couch potato wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:30 pm Actually ticketless a better question is who, with any level of experience is out there that is going to be a step up.
Mcgahan was a first time coach. Penney had been overlooked in kiwiland despite 4itm cups. Erasmus hadn’t coached in a while. Jvg was a forwards coach at the boks

It’s always a risk
Deccie??
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

diarm wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:04 pm
danthefan wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:00 pm Just saw this on twitter.

That was an absolute shocker from CJ who was the only player in red who played as badly as he did last week. Maybe even worse.

I've a feeling that in addition to butchering the overlap, he also got turned over in that play.
That was shocking alright
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

DOB wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:00 pm

Jaysus. I’ve only been saying that about Munster since 2004. Is it getting through?
That's such lazy and shit analysis now as it was back then, there is plenty of skill there, the problem is the gameplan and as MVP said marrying the back and forward play.

And the frontrow
Lazy Couch potato

Mr. Very Popular wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:37 pm
Lazy Couch potato wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:30 pm Actually ticketless a better question is who, with any level of experience is out there that is going to be a step up.

It’s always a risk
Deccie??
God it’s be glorious
Lazy Couch potato

Mr. Very Popular wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:37 pm

It’s always a risk
Deccie??
God it’d be glorious