Prince Philip Gone

All things Rugby
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 34552
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by eldanielfire »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:10 pm
shanky wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:03 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:58 pm This is a geuniue question, I'm not trying to be snarky.

What did he actually do that apparently commands so much respect from some people?

To me it seems he lived a life of ultimate privilidge before dying in silk sheets at 99. I mean, RIP and all, but really, may we all be so lucky.
250 engagements a year, for 60 years

Being nice to people when you’re not obviously a sociable person.

Cameras and microphones recording your every dumb ass comment.

You’d hate it.
Pretty sure that out of the billions of people who have existed on this planet over the past 100,000 odd years, roughty 99.9999999% of them had a less fortunate existence than this chap.

All and all the power to him. Nothing wrong with that, but let's be real.
Even if you're poor in a western country, you're still in something like the top 2% wealthiest people in the worth today, let alone in history.
User avatar
Mr Mike
Posts: 11378
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Texas

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by Mr Mike »

RIP. He was the people’s politically incorrect great uncle. They should be able to reduce the Palace’s media team by 80%.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 34552
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by eldanielfire »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:13 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:11 pm
Dozy wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:03 pm He was dating the queen since the early 1930s. He could have been making sandwich's at a barracks in Capetown and he was gonna be mentioned in Dispatches
The early 1930's? She was born in 1926. Bit young isn't it? (Well not for one of his sons).

I believe he met her first when she was 13, so 1939?
Don't let facts get in the way of accusations of being a nonce
Or even in the way of any Dozy post about anything british.....
User avatar
The Sun God
Posts: 13432
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Best country in the world.

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by The Sun God »

terryfinch wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:09 pm
Varsity Way wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:12 pm Harry and Meghan....will they attend?
I bloody hope not. Cnuts.
Now now Terry.....shirley forgiveness is proper at a time of loss.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 34552
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by eldanielfire »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:10 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:09 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:58 pm This is a geuniue question, I'm not trying to be snarky.

What did he actually do that apparently commands so much respect from some people?

To me it seems he lived a life of ultimate privilidge before dying in silk sheets at 99. I mean, RIP and all, but really, may we all be so lucky.
Fought the nazi's in WWII? Lived a life of service, loyalty and duty well beyond retirement age. Literally worshiped as a god?
One of the youngest navy lieutenant's in the Navy, but besides that anyone who fought in the war deserves instant respect
Not sure I've ever bring myself to respect those Nazi generals who fought in the war personally ;)
Last edited by eldanielfire on Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
danny_fitz
Posts: 12612
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Mostly London........Mostly

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by danny_fitz »

eldanielfire wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:15 pm
Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:10 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:09 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:58 pm This is a geuniue question, I'm not trying to be snarky.

What did he actually do that apparently commands so much respect from some people?

To me it seems he lived a life of ultimate privilidge before dying in silk sheets at 99. I mean, RIP and all, but really, may we all be so lucky.
Fought the nazi's in WWII? Lived a life of service, loyalty and duty well beyond retirement age. Literally worshiped as a god?
One of the youngest navy lieutenant's in the Navy, but besides that anyone who fought in the war deserves instant respect
Not sure I've ever bring myself to respect those Nazi generals who thought in the war personally ;)
Oh come on, Rommel was a snappy dresser
Dozy
Posts: 1439
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:17 pm

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by Dozy »

eldanielfire wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:11 pm
Dozy wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:03 pm He was dating the queen since the early 1930s. He could have been making sandwich's at a barracks in Capetown and he was gonna be mentioned in Dispatches
The early 1930's? She was born in 1926. Bit young isn't it? (Well not for one of his sons).

I believe he met her first when she was 13, so 1939?
Ok
User avatar
terryfinch
Posts: 5709
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by terryfinch »

The Sun God wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:15 pm
terryfinch wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:09 pm
Varsity Way wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:12 pm Harry and Meghan....will they attend?
I bloody hope not. Cnuts.
Now now Terry.....shirley forgiveness is proper at a time of loss.
However, the mediocre cable actress would try and make it all about her, so, no.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 34552
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by eldanielfire »

danny_fitz wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:16 pm
Oh come on, Rommel was a snappy dresser
Respect his tailor, not his client.
Dozy
Posts: 1439
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:17 pm

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by Dozy »

eldanielfire wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:14 pm
Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:13 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:11 pm
Dozy wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:03 pm He was dating the queen since the early 1930s. He could have been making sandwich's at a barracks in Capetown and he was gonna be mentioned in Dispatches
The early 1930's? She was born in 1926. Bit young isn't it? (Well not for one of his sons).

I believe he met her first when she was 13, so 1939?
Don't let facts get in the way of accusations of being a nonce
Or even in the way of any Dozy post about anything british.....
I'm British , Britain is a great place. You don't have to be a royalist or to not question our nations past to British
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 34552
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by eldanielfire »

terryfinch wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:18 pm
The Sun God wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:15 pm
terryfinch wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:09 pm
Varsity Way wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:12 pm Harry and Meghan....will they attend?
I bloody hope not. Cnuts.
Now now Terry.....shirley forgiveness is proper at a time of loss.
However, the mediocre cable actress would try and make it all about her, so, no.
So until that happens, if that happens, there is no need for you to make this thread about her.
User avatar
camroc1
Posts: 43731
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by camroc1 »

Jaysus, that's some obit.

The short version :

Born a Dane in Corfu, schooled in Germany, became a Brit, played at being sailors, married his rich cousin, lived long and prospered.
shereblue
Posts: 5250
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by shereblue »

Image
Image
Thanks for the memories.
RIP :thumbup:
User avatar
AND-y
Posts: 16931
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by AND-y »

shereblue wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:20 pm Image
Image
Thanks for the memories.
RIP :thumbup:
He really was a moronic POS. Any Brit who didn't personally know him and needs condolences needs to get a grip even more.
User avatar
The Sun God
Posts: 13432
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Best country in the world.

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by The Sun God »

terryfinch wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:18 pm
The Sun God wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:15 pm
terryfinch wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:09 pm
Varsity Way wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:12 pm Harry and Meghan....will they attend?
I bloody hope not. Cnuts.
Now now Terry.....shirley forgiveness is proper at a time of loss.
However, the mediocre cable actress would try and make it all about her, so, no.
Mediocre cable actress she may well be but I would bang her like a Japanese Kodo drummer.
User avatar
camroc1
Posts: 43731
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by camroc1 »

eldanielfire wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:18 pm
danny_fitz wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:16 pm
Oh come on, Rommel was a snappy dresser
Respect his tailor, not his client.
Boss, Hugo Boss.
User avatar
The Sun God
Posts: 13432
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Best country in the world.

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by The Sun God »

eldanielfire wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:18 pm
danny_fitz wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:16 pm
Oh come on, Rommel was a snappy dresser
Respect his tailor, not his client.
Hugo Boss.....
Ulsters Red Hand
Posts: 11695
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:18 pm

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

eldanielfire wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:15 pm
Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:10 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:09 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:58 pm This is a geuniue question, I'm not trying to be snarky.

What did he actually do that apparently commands so much respect from some people?

To me it seems he lived a life of ultimate privilidge before dying in silk sheets at 99. I mean, RIP and all, but really, may we all be so lucky.
Fought the nazi's in WWII? Lived a life of service, loyalty and duty well beyond retirement age. Literally worshiped as a god?
One of the youngest navy lieutenant's in the Navy, but besides that anyone who fought in the war deserves instant respect
Not sure I've ever bring myself to respect those Nazi generals who fought in the war personally ;)
:lol: You know what I mean
Ulsters Red Hand
Posts: 11695
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:18 pm

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

YOYO wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:18 pm The Ulster Loyalists will be devo. Expect rioting tonight as a mark of respect to the passing of their totem.
A new low for the bigots of the bored
DAC_
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:28 pm

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by DAC_ »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:24 pm
YOYO wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:18 pm The Ulster Loyalists will be devo. Expect rioting tonight as a mark of respect to the passing of their totem.
A new low for the bigots of the bored
It'll get lower. Just give it time.
Nolanator
Posts: 39928
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by Nolanator »

Mullet 2 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:56 pm
shanky wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:54 pm Whatever you think about the bloke, he’s spent his life in service to his team.

As ruggers, we can appreciate that

RIP old fella. :thumbup:
One of the great project players
Stuck around in his adopted country until the end, even after he'd retired. :thumbup:
Gwenno
Posts: 8509
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by Gwenno »

That’s the media stuffed with sycophantic stories until he’s planted. Other news stories will have to take a back seat. 99 year old millionaire has died, so what? I feel neither happy nor sad, and nor should the millions that felt that they knew him, but look out for the mass hysteria.
Nolanator
Posts: 39928
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by Nolanator »

Image
User avatar
Bogbunny
Posts: 5704
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: G W C

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by Bogbunny »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:24 pm
YOYO wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:18 pm The Ulster Loyalists will be devo. Expect rioting tonight as a mark of respect to the passing of their totem.
A new low for the bigots of the bored
Indeed, pretty poor form YOYO.

Anyway, Phil the Greek was by far (and probably only) interesting one of the family to meet.

#RIPcarriageman a life well lived. :nod:
DAC_
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:28 pm

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by DAC_ »

Gwenno wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:28 pm That’s the media stuffed with sycophantic stories until he’s planted. Other news stories will have to take a back seat. 99 year old millionaire has died, so what? I feel neither happy nor sad, and nor should the millions that felt that they knew him, but look out for the mass hysteria.
I don't actually think people will be "sad" and most people would have stopped thinking about it by tea time, some may feel sorry for the Queen of course.

I could be wrong but I don't think there will be anything resembling mass hysteria.
Fritz Lung
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:27 am
Location: Paradise Shithole NI

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by Fritz Lung »

Rest easy Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, you had a long and colourful innings.
User avatar
Leinster in London
Posts: 6067
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by Leinster in London »

Nolanator wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:30 pm Image
Every day is Sunday anyway.
ovalball
Posts: 13362
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by ovalball »

RIP

But now we have to put up with press and hangers on, all fawning over the Royal Family for an age - telling us what a great chap he was, ad nauseum. There'll be countless programmes showing us the story of his life blah blah blah. It's all very tedious.
User avatar
danny_fitz
Posts: 12612
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Mostly London........Mostly

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by danny_fitz »

DAC_ wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:32 pm
Gwenno wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:28 pm That’s the media stuffed with sycophantic stories until he’s planted. Other news stories will have to take a back seat. 99 year old millionaire has died, so what? I feel neither happy nor sad, and nor should the millions that felt that they knew him, but look out for the mass hysteria.
I don't actually think people will be "sad" and most people would have stopped thinking about it by tea time, some may feel sorry for the Queen of course.

I could be wrong but I don't think there will be anything resembling mass hysteria.
Daily Mail will be orchestrating public outpourings of grief with the usual sad f*ckers spending 2 weeks camping on the streets to get a good spot for the funeral.
bimboman
Posts: 72953
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by bimboman »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:10 pm
shanky wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:03 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:58 pm This is a geuniue question, I'm not trying to be snarky.

What did he actually do that apparently commands so much respect from some people?

To me it seems he lived a life of ultimate privilidge before dying in silk sheets at 99. I mean, RIP and all, but really, may we all be so lucky.
250 engagements a year, for 60 years

Being nice to people when you’re not obviously a sociable person.

Cameras and microphones recording your every dumb ass comment.

You’d hate it.
Pretty sure that out of the billions of people who have existed on this planet over the past 100,000 odd years, roughty 99.9999999% of them had a less fortunate existence than this chap.

All and all the power to him. Nothing wrong with that, but let's be real.


In fairness that comparison also could be made for you and your privilege. If we’re being real and stuff.

He certainly knew what service was.
Dozy
Posts: 1439
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:17 pm

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by Dozy »

ovalball wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:35 pm RIP

But now we have to put up with press and hangers on, all fawning over the Royal Family for an age - telling us what a great chap he was, ad nauseum. There'll be countless programmes showing us the story of his life blah blah blah. It's all very tedious.
This

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/li ... -parenting

Express making kids wearing black a story
User avatar
message #2527204
Posts: 15380
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Ultracrepidaria

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by message #2527204 »

Gwenno wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:28 pm That’s the media stuffed with sycophantic stories until he’s planted. Other news stories will have to take a back seat. 99 year old millionaire has died, so what? I feel neither happy nor sad, and nor should the millions that felt that they knew him, but look out for the mass hysteria.
It doesn't hurt. Sycophantic stories are often told when anyone dies, it's part if the ritual.
I'm sure you were cock-a-hoop with Captain whatsisname walking up and down his garden, whereas Phil spent his life in public service.
DAC_
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:28 pm

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by DAC_ »

danny_fitz wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:35 pm
DAC_ wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:32 pm
Gwenno wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:28 pm That’s the media stuffed with sycophantic stories until he’s planted. Other news stories will have to take a back seat. 99 year old millionaire has died, so what? I feel neither happy nor sad, and nor should the millions that felt that they knew him, but look out for the mass hysteria.
I don't actually think people will be "sad" and most people would have stopped thinking about it by tea time, some may feel sorry for the Queen of course.

I could be wrong but I don't think there will be anything resembling mass hysteria.
Daily Mail will be orchestrating public outpourings of grief with the usual sad f*ckers spending 2 weeks camping on the streets to get a good spot for the funeral.
I could be wrong but I don't think that will happen, I really believe most post don't actually care that much. Now, when the Queen dies, that's a different story.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 34552
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by eldanielfire »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:23 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:15 pm
Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:10 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:09 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:58 pm This is a geuniue question, I'm not trying to be snarky.

What did he actually do that apparently commands so much respect from some people?

To me it seems he lived a life of ultimate privilidge before dying in silk sheets at 99. I mean, RIP and all, but really, may we all be so lucky.
Fought the nazi's in WWII? Lived a life of service, loyalty and duty well beyond retirement age. Literally worshiped as a god?
One of the youngest navy lieutenant's in the Navy, but besides that anyone who fought in the war deserves instant respect
Not sure I've ever bring myself to respect those Nazi generals who fought in the war personally ;)
:lol: You know what I mean
Couldn't resist :lol:
DAC_
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:28 pm

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by DAC_ »

Dozy wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:37 pm
ovalball wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:35 pm RIP

But now we have to put up with press and hangers on, all fawning over the Royal Family for an age - telling us what a great chap he was, ad nauseum. There'll be countless programmes showing us the story of his life blah blah blah. It's all very tedious.
This

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/li ... -parenting

Express making kids wearing black a story
Scanning the tabloids, looking for stories to be offended by, so you can post them on here, really is quite something.
User avatar
blindcider
Posts: 8497
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by blindcider »

Gwenno wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:28 pm That’s the media stuffed with sycophantic stories until he’s planted. Other news stories will have to take a back seat. 99 year old millionaire has died, so what? I feel neither happy nor sad, and nor should the millions that felt that they knew him, but look out for the mass hysteria.
Meh, I'm no royalist other than not seeing much need to change the status quo but I can certainly respect the service that the Duke gave to this country.

Its not a job/life that I would like with your life being under constant scrutiny and having a life of privilege you can't really use in many senses. It's not like he could go out and buy a fleet of lamborghinis. It's like being permanently at work and whilst the idea of the social engagements and travel sound good in principle I bet its incredibly hard work and quite stressful to always be showing your best side

I'm not happy or sad but think it's worthy of respecting his work
Dozy
Posts: 1439
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:17 pm

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by Dozy »

DAC_ wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:41 pm
Dozy wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:37 pm
ovalball wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:35 pm RIP

But now we have to put up with press and hangers on, all fawning over the Royal Family for an age - telling us what a great chap he was, ad nauseum. There'll be countless programmes showing us the story of his life blah blah blah. It's all very tedious.
This

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/li ... -parenting

Express making kids wearing black a story
Scanning the tabloids, looking for stories to be offended by, so you can post them on here, really is quite something.
More of a something then the person who wrote the meaningless article ???
bimboman
Posts: 72953
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by bimboman »

camroc1 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:19 pm Jaysus, that's some obit.

The short version :

Born a Dane in Corfu, schooled in Germany, became a Brit, played at being sailors, married his rich cousin, lived long and prospered.


Played at being in war fare and mentioned in dispatches etc. If only he’d been a hedge hoppper.
User avatar
Sefton
Posts: 16743
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by Sefton »

The people of Cork will be desolate.
User avatar
koroke hangareka
Posts: 3329
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Prince Philip Gone

Post by koroke hangareka »

DAC_ wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:00 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:58 pm This is a geuniue question, I'm not trying to be snarky.

What did he actually do that apparently commands so much respect from some people?

To me it seems he lived a life of ultimate privilidge before dying in silk sheets at 99. I mean, RIP and all, but really, may we all be so lucky.
Yeah, you're not really your own person when you join that family. Like almost everything you do outside of riding horses and having nice food, is for someone or something else.

Sod that for a game of soldiers.
For all their privilege I wouldn't swap with them. I think you'd have to be a bit odd, or very very poor, if you would.
Post Reply