All things Rugby
TheFrog

Clermont vs Toulouse

Post by TheFrog »

vs

TheFrog

Re: Clermont vs Toulouse

Post by TheFrog »

Toulouse have the pack to hand Clermont their arses on a plate, and a decent backline despite the injuries.

Clermont are sloppy at times too... And against Toulouse, it will hurt.

But, Clermont has that X factors at times and could surprise Toulouse.

Still, I fear Toulouse will take it.
Zico

Post by Zico »

Jaysus I thought the Munster lads were bad at match threads.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Clermont, players to watch

La soule

Post by La soule »

Gutted those 2 teams have to play against each other already.

Should be quite a game. Both are on forms. It will be close regardless. Heart says Toulouse of course.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Clermont are not that convincing this year.

I am more gutted about Exeter-Leinster which looks like a final, than this game really.

I support Clermont but on current form I am afraid Toulouse will be too good for them.
La soule

Post by La soule »

ASM are fourth in the T14, which is very competitive this year and have had some injuries problems.

They are also playing at home.

Don't agree, this will be very tough.

As for Exeter v Leinster, should be a good game. Not necessarily the 2 best teams around this year though.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Clermont have been unable to play a whole 80 minutes without having spells of open door policy. Against Toulouse, if they are generous, they will pay the price.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Touoluse should be too strong, from what I have seen.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Whatever wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:44 pm Touoluse should be too strong, from what I have seen.
Unfortunately I have to agree.

The only way Clermont can win is if Toulouse are sloppy and don't convert their opportunities into points. Then, may be if at the 78th minute, it is a 3pts advantage for Toulouse and Penaud sparks a 80m counter-attack, a miracle could happen.

It should be a good game to watch though, with plenty of exciting rugby.

This Champions Cup is looking good. I liked the La Rochelle game, I hope the rugby remain that entertaining.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

TheFrog wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:57 pm
Whatever wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:44 pm Touoluse should be too strong, from what I have seen.

The only way Clermont can win is if Toulouse are sloppy and don't convert their opportunities into points. Then, may be if at the 78th minute, it is a 3pts advantage for Toulouse and Penaud sparks a 80m counter-attack, a miracle could happen.

This Champions Cup is looking good. I liked the La Rochelle game, I hope the rugby remain that entertaining.
Aye. Without a full Soup Rugby comp I've been watching the Champions Cup. The French teams are definitely the most watchable, so I hope one of them emerges as the champ. And one of the interesting things is the number of players I see that I had forgotten about. Jerome Kaino still playing at age 38! Faumuina, Moala also in this game I think.

The guy I rent my furniture from here is actually a Toulousian.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Whatever wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:05 pm

Aye. Without a full Soup Rugby comp I've been watching the Champions Cup. The French teams are definitely the most watchable, so I hope one of them emerges as the champ. And one of the interesting things is the number of players I see that I had forgotten about. Jerome Kaino still playing at age 38! Faumuina, Moala also in this game I think.

What does a Toulousan do in Merryland?

Mind you, you have Clermontois living next door too :D

After a time when AB players only came in France to act as lazy pre-retired fat overpaid marketing names, they have chanted their attitude and a lot of the former NZers have really brought a lot to the French clubs. Kaino is an example, you have Vito who plays for La Rochelle, but I remember the first one to set the standards : Masoe. His dedication to his club was exemplary, and he was really the first player who played to deserve his pay check.

Moala is a key player in Clermont, for sure and is another successful exampel of NZer imports.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Can't wait for the KO now. I hope both teams come with a positive mind and we are treated to an exciting and expansive game of rugby.

From 1 to 10, advantage to Toulouse. And then Kolbe.

Clermont will have Moala-Penaud-Raka-Matsushima as their X factors. And Yato who plays at lock.

The intriguing battle will be the experienced half back pairing at Clermont against the star kids at Toulouse. The Little General against the Little Bull in particular.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

@Whatever: you will smile: after I asked you what a Toulousain was doing in Merryland, I bumped onto a man wearing a Toulouse rugby jersey in Creek Park when ridding out there. Turns out he is an ex French embassy staff, who retired in DC. And he grew up in town 30km from where I grew up :o

He confessed being shared between Toulouse whom he admires, and Clermont to whom he has childhood allegiances. :thumbup:
Heymans

Post by Heymans »

Holmes at 13 for Toulouse is very suspect defensively. If Clermont are smart there are points there.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

Looking forward to this.

Bordeaux: Racing was an absolute dirge fest.
Munster-fogs

Post by Munster-fogs »

Who's the ref?
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

Luke Pearce, a really good choice for French teams.

Unlike Matthew Carley whose only French is hors jeux which detracted from an otherwise decent performance over in Bordeaux.
franch fan

Post by franch fan »

Very poor from both teams.
Leinster can feel pretty relax basing on what we saw from the other teams.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

La Rochelle put in a great 2nd half.

Top 14 sides seeming to cancel each other out.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Shit weather right now doesn't help.

Toulouse pack mauling Clermont very well, that's the way forward.

Clermont lose play more efficient but when they get in the decision zone they have brain farts.

Ravai needs to push horizontally and Clermont could win a lot of scrum penalties.

Unfortunately, I can see Toulouse slowly asserting their authority on this game.

Kudos to Pearce for his use of French.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

With Bordeaux beating Racing, one of the finalist will be a first time finalist. :thumbup:
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Luke Pearse is making sure a game doesnt break out here.
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

TheFrog wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:57 pm With Bordeaux beating Racing, one of the finalist will be a first time finalist. :thumbup:
Isn't it an open draw for the semis?
franch fan

Post by franch fan »

Dupont and Kolbe aren't only great attacking players but also great defensive ones
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

TheFrog wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:55 pm Shit weather right now doesn't help.

Clermont lose play more efficient but when they get in the decision zone they have brain farts.

Ravai needs to push horizontally and Clermont could win a lot of scrum penalties.

Unfortunately, I can see Toulouse slowly asserting their authority on this game.

You were right there.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

shereblue wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:40 pm

You were right there.
Yes unfortunately. I had said the Toulouse pack are better than the Clermont pack and it's the Toulouse pack who won the game.

Scrum : 3 penalties for Toulouse
Lineout: 3 stolen from Clermont plus one penalty for Toulouse
Mauls: 2 or 3 rushes on 30m or more, plus 3 penalties for Toulouse

Rucks: may be more balanced but I think Toulouse got less penalized than Clermont so advantage Toulouse again.

17 penalties in total against Clermont, this is seriously bad.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Tecumseh wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:33 pm
TheFrog wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:57 pm With Bordeaux beating Racing, one of the finalist will be a first time finalist. :thumbup:
Isn't it an open draw for the semis?
You're right. I thought Toulouse would play Leinster but it was a draw.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

TheFrog wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:35 pm

You were right there.
Yes unfortunately. I had said the Toulouse pack are better than the Clermont pack and it's the Toulouse pack who won the game.

Rucks: may be more balanced but I think Toulouse got less penalized than Clermont so advantage Toulouse again.

Don't let Torq (or FF ;) )know but I thought Parra compared well with Dupont, in the first half for sure. Especially given Lopez's unfortunate departure. Reasonably quick distribution from the rucks and good choices. Shame about his missed PK under time pressure at the end.

Your stats help show where the game was won. Bad luck. Clermont are a great side to watch even if they weren't allowed to show so much today.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

shereblue wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:52 pm

You were right there.

Don't let Torq (or FF ;) )know but I thought Parra compared well with Dupont, in the first half for sure. Especially given Lopez's unfortunate departure. Reasonably quick distribution from the rucks and good choices. Shame about his missed PK under time pressure at the end.

Your stats help show where the game was won. Bad luck. Clermont are a great side to watch even if they weren't allowed to show so much today.
Dupont was a marked man and he had to learn with this. This is a key time for him now, to progress and become truly the world best scrumhalf. Parra showed his vision and experience as a game organizer.
Gynormus

Post by Gynormus »

TheFrog wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:06 pm
shereblue wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:52 pm

You were right there.

Dupont was a marked man and he had to learn with this. This is a key time for him now, to progress and become truly the world best scrumhalf. Parra showed his vision and experience as a game organizer.
Another weather affected game & also a team not playing as if in an important game/SF. C;ermont committed too may pealties & failed to play with vision. Despite a man down Toulouse always looked threatening. Yes Du Pont showed he can be threatened which others will look at. Lar vs Lei looks the most interesting SF
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

TheFrog wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:09 pm

After a time when AB players only came in France to act as lazy pre-retired fat overpaid marketing names, they have chanted their attitude and a lot of the former NZers have really brought a lot to the French clubs. Kaino is an example, you have Vito who plays for La Rochelle, but I remember the first one to set the standards : Masoe. His dedication to his club was exemplary, and he was really the first player who played to deserve his pay check.

Moala is a key player in Clermont, for sure and is another successful exampel of NZer imports.
I imagine players like Byron Kelleher amongst others would probably have a different opinion.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Magpie26 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:55 pm
TheFrog wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:09 pm

I imagine players like Byron Kelleher amongst others would probably have a different opinion.
True. Initially he was a useless lump until Noves presented him with one way ticket to NZ and told him that if he didn't up his game, he would unilaterally break his contract and send him back home.
DonBillydeParis

Post by DonBillydeParis »

Are you sure? The most likely final is Leinster - Toulouse the two sides with the most titles and which have respectively reached 12 and 13 times SF stage.
Petros

Post by Petros »

The draw will determine if a first time finalist is guaranteed

And the Bordeaux Racing game has to be the lowest quality QF ever
DonBillydeParis

Post by DonBillydeParis »

Petros wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:32 am The draw will determine if a first time finalist is guaranteed

And the Bordeaux Racing game has to be the lowest quality QF ever
The draw is known:
SF1: La Rochelle - Leinster
SF2: Toulouse - Bordeaux

The most likely final is Leinster - Toulouse.
La soule

Post by La soule »

Tough game for ST as predicted but the victory is there. Terrible weather did not help. Defenses took the better of what was in the end an average game.

I see a lot of people are already seeing Leinster in the final. La Rochelle is a better team than most people think and I would not put it passed them to beat Leinster, at home.

I saw that Sexton had another commotion. This is beyond crazy now. Somebody should stop him.
de_Selby

Post by de_Selby »

La soule wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:18 am Tough game for ST as predicted but the victory is there. Terrible weather did not help. Defenses took the better of what was in the end an average game.

I see a lot of people are already seeing Leinster in the final. La Rochelle is a better team than most people think and I would not put it passed them to beat Leinster, at home.

I saw that Sexton had another commotion. This is beyond crazy now. Somebody should stop him.
What was the commotion?

I was impressed by La Rochelle on Saturday, it's not a given that Leinster win it for sure. Hopefully some of the injuries will have returned by then which will help. I also don't think home advantage counts for anything this year tbh.
La soule

Post by La soule »

de_Selby wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:40 am
La soule wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:18 am Tough game for ST as predicted but the victory is there. Terrible weather did not help. Defenses took the better of what was in the end an average game.

What was the commotion?

I was impressed by La Rochelle on Saturday, it's not a given that Leinster win it for sure. Hopefully some of the injuries will have returned by then which will help. I also don't think home advantage counts for anything this year tbh.
Sorry, forgot to translate that one: concussion
de_Selby

Post by de_Selby »

Oh yeah it was a worrying enough one I think.

The only thing I saw that it could have been was the tackle from Ewers a little while before but he didn't hit him anywhere near his head.