Chiefs vs Crusaders: MATCH THREAD: Sat 17th April

All things Rugby
les@mooloolaba

Re: Chiefs vs Crusaders: MATCH THREAD: Sat 17th April

Post by les@mooloolaba »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:00 am
mrbrownstone wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:56 am Crusaders are fading badly. Looks like we've peaked too early this season.

Injuries & poor form catching up to us fast.

Think that's a preview of the final and if our breakdown and discipline continues to this poor standard, it'll be the same result.
The game wasn't won and lost at the breakdown like I expected it to be. It was two very marginal offside penalties and a missed Mo'unga conversion that cost us in the end. e scored two tries to one and defended vert well. If we all agree that the Chiefs were good then I don't think we can say the Crusaders were terrible just because they lost by a point.
Agree it was anybody’s game
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

les@mooloolaba wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:00 am Lucky to win that with the brain fvck decisions the Chiefs were making at the end. Should have held onto the ball, that was heart attack material.

Just waiting now for the Sader fans to do their usual moan about the ref.
Your Kaumatua Enzedder is the biggest complainer about referees on this forum.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Well I enjoyed that, always good for a neutral to see underdog sneak in a win. Other thing was a couple of good teams playing well, so good ro see.
I thought Jordan played best game at 15 I have seen from hin for a fair while, still think I prefer him on the wing. None of Crusaders let team down, all did their jobs.
For Chiefs , once again everyone went well, thought DMac went ok at 10, looked like a bloody good 15 playing at 10. ALB is looking like he getting his form back, thought he was pretty good. Players are certainly seeming pretty happy under McMillan.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:02 am
les@mooloolaba wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:00 am Lucky to win that with the brain fvck decisions the Chiefs were making at the end. Should have held onto the ball, that was heart attack material.

Guilty as charged on a match thread. I dont see that as a problem when the emotions are rife.

Shit - that hurt so much getting to the park and back to the car that I think it was my last one. Hell of a game to end on.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:01 am
mrbrownstone wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:59 am If I never see Sione Havili in a Crusaders jersey again it'll be too soon.

All he did was drop a ball, completely ineffective.
He's Billy Harmon 2.0.

I actually thought our backrow played well tonight.
I'd kill for Harmon right now. He's been serviceable for the Clan this season.

I agree that we were much improved on the last two weeks, just a frustrating result. It was a test match intensity game decided by fine margins away from home.

I thought the Chiefs exploited our second string midfield well, with Nankivell & ALB both coming to their own in the second half.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

I still question the Chiefs first referral. Is there not meant to be a time limit? The lineout was already set and Weber had seen the replay on the big screen. That's asking for trouble.

Huge moment as it turned out, from a Crusaders lineout on the 22 to 3 points for the Chiefs down the other end.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Enzedder wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:15 am

Guilty as charged on a match thread. I dont see that as a problem when the emotions are rife.

Shit - that hurt so much getting to the park and back to the car that I think it was my last one. Hell of a game to end on.
I don't mind a bit of referee whingeing. As you allude to, it helps release stress and tension when emotions are high. I was simply pointing out to Les@mooloolaba that Crusaders fans aren't the only posters who do it.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

mrbrownstone wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:26 am I still question the Chiefs first referral. Is there not meant to be a time limit? The lineout was already set and Weber had seen the replay on the big screen. That's asking for trouble.

Huge moment as it turned out, from a Crusaders lineout on the 22 to 3 points for the Chiefs down the other end.
The time limit is meant to be 10 seconds, which was obviously exceeded. Was a very marginal call as well.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

mrbrownstone wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:24 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:01 am
mrbrownstone wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:59 am If I never see Sione Havili in a Crusaders jersey again it'll be too soon.

All he did was drop a ball, completely ineffective.
He's Billy Harmon 2.0.

I actually thought our backrow played well tonight.
I'd kill for Harmon right now. He's been serviceable for the Clan this season.
I'll be honest, Sanders played better at 7 tonight than Harmon every played for us.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Enzedder wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:15 am

Re bagging the refs online while at the game: the fact I’m all thumbs and usually too busy booing and shrieking are the only things preventing me from challenging you for the at-ground ref-whinger title. (By the time I get home I’ve calmed down substantially).

Re getting about: I truly hope you are mistaken.
deverix

Post by deverix »

#BringBackGatland.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Squeaky Chiefs win
- at home
- against an over confident Saders who rested Whitelock and Codie Taylor to bench (best player in country at the moment)
- with RMo playing badly (by his standards) - missed easy conversion (which would have won the game), dropped a sitter in his 22, and not confident with drop goal.

So lovely to win - after 11 straight to go 4 is awesome. And to have the saders three loses for the year is fun.

All that said Saders scored more tries and when they turn it on are amazing - try by RMo/ScoBa / Jordan was lovely play and vision.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:30 am
UncleFB wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:18 am
trapper wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:52 am Webber admitting the Chiefs with the encouragement of Rennie looked forward to bringing a bit of thuggery to the table when playing the Saders and he is trying instil that kind of game into the young Chiefs when up against the Saders this evening. He’s all class is Webber. That little outburst will be up on the dressing room wall I reckon. Thanks mate.
Hahaha, comedy gold from a fan of a team that had two Frannks brothers at one stage, has Mooddy, and made card magnet Barrrett their captain.

Rennie’s teams played with controlled aggression. :twisted:
Oi! Give me back my eyepatch ya thieving bugger! :x
:lol:
nardol

Post by nardol »

just seen highlights

are the rules down south for fwd passes different than up here?
Noob

Post by Noob »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:00 pm Squeaky Chiefs win
- at home
- against an over confident Saders who rested Whitelock and Codie Taylor to bench (best player in country at the moment)
- with RMo playing badly (by his standards) - missed easy conversion (which would have won the game), dropped a sitter in his 22, and not confident with drop goal.

So lovely to win - after 11 straight to go 4 is awesome. And to have the saders three loses for the year is fun.

All that said Saders scored more tries and when they turn it on are amazing - try by RMo/ScoBa / Jordan was lovely play and vision.
I doubt they were overconfident seeing they were fielding a partially second string side.

Think Whitelock and Taylor must have been near playing every minute of every game, with their work rate Id expect them to fade

RMO did ok I think, he tried hard in a game where his side was under pressure the whole time.
I do agree he should have landed that kick, however he was ready for the dropkick but just setting up when they lost the ball. We'll never know now I suppose.

Looking at the table, as long as the Crusaders win one more they are in the final right? So next week is a bit of squeaky bum time
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

nardol wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:10 pm just seen highlights

are the rules down south for fwd passes different than up here?
Barrett to Jordan - yeah, forward all night from the grandtsand but it was a lovely move.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Kiwias wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:52 am
mrbrownstone wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:50 am Doesn't matter that it was already a ruck?
Not with this ref. ;)
Not when your player hadn't released the ball yet either,. ;)
farmerdave

Post by farmerdave »

Thought the difference was in territory. I assume from watching that statistically the Chiefs were superior and that at least have them a chance. The Saders needed to pull out one of their end to end scores which they usually do. This time after the Saders last score I was pretty confident that the Chiefs would head into Saders territory and score at least three, more confident than the Saders doing the same. Misplaced maybe but still.
Regarding the forearm that Smith refered, not disagreeing on the outcome or intent but the reasoning that he wasn't looking at Smith therefore wasn't intending the contact is something we hear often. Am I the only person in the world with peripheral vision?
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

I have to say after a night to think on it ,still thought it was a bloody good game. I tend to think if I was picking a test team I would be pencilling in Jacobson, not saying he was star or anything last night, but he playing bloody consistently good rugby from what I have noticed this season.
I have to say I realy dislike the captains referral, when Chiefs had final penalty Barretts referral I didn't think was from anything he saw, just he had it up sleeve (and as he should if rule there) he just used it out of hope.
Still the funny one was in Blues game on Friday where they tried to get refs call overturned and then got shown that well wasn't just one Blues player who had transgressed but 2 :lol:
I hope it doesn't carry on, regardless of JK on TV calling for it last year or two and thinking it great!
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Noob wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:31 pm
- at home

I doubt they were overconfident seeing they were fielding a partially second string side.

Think Whitelock and Taylor must have been near playing every minute of every game, with their work rate Id expect them to fade

RMO did ok I think, he tried hard in a game where his side was under pressure the whole time.
I do agree he should have landed that kick, however he was ready for the dropkick but just setting up when they lost the ball. We'll never know now I suppose.

Looking at the table, as long as the Crusaders win one more they are in the final right? So next week is a bit of squeaky bum time
The Saders rested those players - their choice - they thought they could win without them.

RMo did play Ok, maybe better than Ok, but we’re use to such a high standard (kicking was off earlier in year so possibly weakest part of game this year). He was set up for the drop for multiple phases - the question is should he demand it?
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

On the referral there is a time limit and it’s on completion of play which is why I assumed Weber’s was good (it was a long way back overall).
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

[quote="Enzedder .
[/quote]

[/quote]
Geez NZer, I a bit pissed for you if it getting to hard for you to get to games because of health. It a shame mate, and hope you still have plenty enjoyment watching it on tv etc!

Can I just mention one thing, I got a brother I have mentioned before (the bugger still hanging on regardless of what Drs say etc), but his son wanted to take him to a test last year, and being a proper NZ rugby man knew it had to be a Bok's test. He contacted NZR and they got him a park at Caketin, and bloody hell even a golf csrt to get him to gate etc. Just something to keep in mind if you keen on going to games perhaps see if it can be made easier.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:09 pm On the referral there is a time limit and it’s on completion of play which is why I assumed Weber’s was good (it was a long way back overall).
On the ref/TMO overall..... hmm thought average...
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

Another belta game......congrats Chiefs.....commiserations Crusaders. Another loss from a missed kick....it's that close! The difference between the two teams was the breakdown which were messy......Jacobsen was over the ball quickly, and Chiefs were cleaning out more strongly, often clearing opposition players behind the breakdown.

Moving on to next week........all games are vital to win now - roll on next week.....
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Still gutted with the loss. I thought the Crusaders did enough to win that game, and it came down to a few key referee's decision that went against them. The Chiefs were fired up and played very well. This is a very close, even contest.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:24 pm Still gutted with the loss. I thought the Crusaders did enough to win that game, and it came down to a few key referee's decision that went against them. The Chiefs were fired up and played very well. This is a very close, even contest.
I don't mind the loss, myself... no team can win all the time after all, and we've feasted on the bloodied carcasses of every other NZ team and their supporters for so long and so well that I can be content with reclining on the chaise longe of excellence, gracefully acknowledging a victory for a braying mob lucky enough to scrape home by a point against an injury ravaged side.

Not for me, the petty jibes and cheap shots post match. :thumbup:
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

guy smiley wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:07 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:24 pm Still gutted with the loss. I thought the Crusaders did enough to win that game, and it came down to a few key referee's decision that went against them. The Chiefs were fired up and played very well. This is a very close, even contest.
I don't mind the loss, myself... no team can win all the time after all, and we've feasted on the bloodied carcasses of every other NZ team and their supporters for so long and so well that I can be content with reclining on the chaise longe of excellence, gracefully acknowledging a victory for a braying mob lucky enough to scrape home by a point against an injury ravaged side.

:lol:
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

While I would gave preferred for our team to win, we got treated to a pretty good game of rugby, so I still feel like a winner.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

guy smiley wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:07 pm

A lot of true here - especially the lucky to scape by with a point, at home.

NZ rugby have been very lucky to have a franchise as strong as the Saders:
- concentration of talent has meant the ABs have been stronger
- development of leadership (on and off field)
- set the bar/ standards that are tough for others to obtain

These have all been wonderful for NZ rugby - long may they continue to set the bar and standards.

Chaise longing internet Saders fans however are cnuts.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Congratulations Chiefs. A great victory.

That game was an interesting one for me. Normally I support the underdog and being an Aucklander I'm naturally wired to support any (NZ) team playing against Canterbury/Crusaders but on this occasion I was also aware that the Chiefs would overtake us on the table for second place so I was sort of hoping and expecting a Crusaders win.

Interesting results these last three rounds. The once undefeated and unbeatable looking Crusaders losing at home to the Highlanders, scraping a golden point win vs the Hurricanes and losing to the Chiefs.

SRA looks way more wide open than it did a month ago.
sinba556

Post by sinba556 »

From an All Black perspective, it's pretty handy having DMac as a potential 3rd flyhalf. He is more suited to 15, but can distribute and kick from 10 pretty damn well. Not the worst option in an emergency, and probably better currently than hunt/black
grouch

Post by grouch »

Can't agree , at least 3 First half legit turnovers by Boshier & co denied and Chief's penalised.

All of which led directly to 'Saders scoring.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

grouch wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:10 am
Can't agree , at least 3 First half legit turnovers by Boshier & co denied and Chief's penalised.

All of which led directly to 'Saders scoring.
The Chiefs only conceded three penalties in the first half. You're now saying that they were all errors by the referee?
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

booji boy wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:14 am Congratulations Chiefs. A great victory.

That game was an interesting one for me. Normally I support the underdog and being an Aucklander I'm naturally wired to support any (NZ) team playing against Canterbury/Crusaders but on this occasion I was also aware that the Chiefs would overtake us on the table for second place so I was sort of hoping and expecting a Crusaders win.

Interesting results these last three rounds. The once undefeated and unbeatable looking Crusaders losing at home to the Highlanders, scraping a golden point win vs the Hurricanes and losing to the Chiefs.

2 losses and a draw in reality. Golden point can sick my fat one.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Fat Old Git wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:10 am
booji boy wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:14 am Congratulations Chiefs. A great victory.

2 losses and a draw in reality. Golden point can sick my fat one.
Yeah I agree. Don't know of any fans that agree with the stupid golden point format.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

farmerdave wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:35 pm Thought the difference was in territory. I assume from watching that statistically the Chiefs were superior and that at least have them a chance. The Saders needed to pull out one of their end to end scores which they usually do. This time after the Saders last score I was pretty confident that the Chiefs would head into Saders territory and score at least three, more confident than the Saders doing the same. Misplaced maybe but still.
Regarding the forearm that Smith refered, not disagreeing on the outcome or intent but the reasoning that he wasn't looking at Smith therefore wasn't intending the contact is something we hear often. Am I the only person in the world with peripheral vision?
No, clearly you could join the Avengers with your strength of peripheral vision though.
Noob

Post by Noob »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:08 pm
Noob wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:31 pm
- at home

The Saders rested those players - their choice - they thought they could win without them.

RMo did play Ok, maybe better than Ok, but we’re use to such a high standard (kicking was off earlier in year so possibly weakest part of game this year). He was set up for the drop for multiple phases - the question is should he demand it?
Yeah their choice. I think it was planned and a part of their requirements ( arent there limits to minutes that All Blacks can play?)

I think they were going to send it out next phase before that steal. Mo'unga was dropped back dead centre and it looked like he was going to go for it.
Last couple of games he's been kicking well too, just unfortunate his bad miss was the decider