16. Codie Taylor
17. Isileli Tu’ungafasi
18. Oli Jager
19. Luke Romano
20. Sione Havili Talitui
21. Bryn Hall
22. Dallas McLeod
23. Manasa Mataele.

Last edited by Ali's Choice on Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ali's Choice

Re: Chiefs vs Crusaders: MATCH THREAD: Sat 17th April

Post by Ali's Choice »

The no.1 ranked team in the comp up against the form team of the comp. Should be a cracking game. Also very important for both teams' chances of qualifying for the final.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

I hope the Saders continue to be so inaccurate, and the Chiefs go another notch or two up.

Suspect the game will be won/lost in the battle of the locks. Saders have a huge adv here but let’s hope Whitelocks tiredness kicks in before he puts on a black jersey and ScoBa continues to concede a stupid number of penalties.

And the Chiefs find a Dane Cole like player to unsettle the Saders. I’m not sure who the most irritating Chiefs player is at the moment to influence the game like that.

Ps - is form 3/3, or 3/5, or 3/14?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:54 pm I hope the Saders continue to be so inaccurate, and the Chiefs go another notch or two up.

Suspect the game will be won/lost in the battle of the locks. Saders have a huge adv here but let’s hope Whitelocks tiredness kicks in before he puts on a black jersey and ScoBa continues to concede a stupid number of penalties.

And the Chiefs find a Dane Cole like player to unsettle the Saders. I’m not sure who the most irritating Chiefs player is at the moment to influence the game like that.

Ps - is form 3/3, or 3/5, or 3/14?
I think the game will be won and lost at the breakdown. The Chiefs are the best pilfering team in the comp. They are truly outstanding in this facet of the game.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Yes - they are - but Cody Taylor I think saw today was 5th best in comp and we lost Sam Cane. Either way the breakdown is important - but has something like 6-10 contestable events per game.

Specifically the work by the locks in carrying, tackling, scrum and line outs is far more important and far more regular.

Both the Chief’s locks are good - but the gap is vast.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:06 pm Yes - they are - but Cody Taylor I think saw today was 5th best in comp and we lost Sam Cane. Either way the breakdown is important - but has something like 6-10 contestable events per game.

Specifically the work by the locks in carrying, tackling, scrum and line outs is far more important and far more regular.

Both the Chief’s locks are good - but the gap is vast.
I think both Vaa'i and Ah Koui are playing better than Barrett. Scott Barret was poor today against the Canes, stuffing up two crucial kick off receptions that both led to Canes points. Whitelock is obviously a classy, experienced lock.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

I agree - Barrett was poor - hope it continues until he plays ABs.
And Chiefs locks are playing ok which is great for young guys - no way anyone chooses them over ScoBa.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

This looms as a very challenging game. The Crusaders are clearly in a form slump, while the Chiefs are on the up as the competition's form team.

Adding to that, our record in Hamilton is patchy at best. Dating back to 2012, we've won 4 lost 7 in away games to the Chiefs. I'd wager that's our worst record against any team.

It also sounds like Goodhue and Moody's injuries are serious, so we'll be going up against the form midfield in the competition (Tupaea/ALB) with a second choice centre pairing, with both Goodhue and Ennor missing.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

For Crusaders fans, do we think the last couple of weeks we're finally seeing the result of losing Read, Todd, Taufua, Bedwell-Curtis, Samu, and Harmon over the course of two seasons.

That's an immense amount of loose forward quality and experience out the door, and it might finally be catching up to us, as our breakdown was absolutely dominated the last two weeks.

We got by last season, but are other teams starting to exploit this?

I think the injury to Christie has been a bigger loss than we might have expected too, as Havili-Talitui has been a complete non-entity.

I worry about our chances of winning a high-intensity final if the breakdown work continues to be so poor.
deverix

Post by deverix »

mrbrownstone wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:03 am For Crusaders fans, do we think the last couple of weeks we're finally seeing the result of losing Read, Todd, Taufua, Bedwell-Curtis, Samu, and Harmon over the course of two seasons.

That's an immense amount of loose forward quality and experience out the door, and it might finally be catching up to us, as our breakdown was absolutely dominated the last two weeks.

We got by last season, but are other teams starting to exploit this?

I think the injury to Christie has been a bigger loss than we might have expected too, as Havili-Talitui has been a complete non-entity.

I worry about our chances of winning a high-intensity final if the breakdown work continues to be so poor.
Crusaders looked like a completely different side without Ethan Blackadder yesterday. The backrow got absolutely manhandled by the Hurricanes. Hopefully this was the wake-up call Razor needed to actually consider recruiting some above satisfactory loose forwards in the off-season for once FFS.. because they're going to get bullied at this rate.
Last edited by deverix on Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

deverix wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:13 am Crusaders looked like a completely different side without Ethan Blackadder yesterday. The backrow got absolutely manhandled by the Hurricanes. Hopefully this was the wake-up call for Razor to actually recruit some above satisfactory loose-forwards in the off season for once.. because they're going to get bullied at this rate.
I agree. Surely any aspiring youngster would love to move to the Crusaders? We're a freakin All Black factory ffs! Players like Kaylum Boshier, Mitchell Karpik, Ben Teariki-Nicholas, Devan Flanders, Blake Gibson and Du Plessis Kirifi are all struggling for minutes and starts in their current franchises, sign then up! In saying that, if Tom Christie was fit we probably aren't having this discussion
deverix

Post by deverix »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:17 am
deverix wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:13 am Crusaders looked like a completely different side without Ethan Blackadder yesterday. The backrow got absolutely manhandled by the Hurricanes. Hopefully this was the wake-up call for Razor to actually recruit some above satisfactory loose-forwards in the off season for once.. because they're going to get bullied at this rate.
I agree. Surely any aspiring youngster would love to move to the Crusaders? We're a freakin All Black factory ffs! Players like Kaylum Boshier, Mitchell Karpik, Ben Teariki-Nicholas, Devan Flanders, Blake Gibson and Du Plessis Kirifi are all struggling for minutes and starts in their current franchises, sign then up!
No, no, you don't seem to understand Ali.. the Crusaders have hoarded all the talent for themselves, including their "Rolls-Royce" forward pack, Razor has an abundance of riches to choose from, anyone could coach them to four consecutive titles!
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

deverix wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:25 am No, no, you don't seem to understand Ali.. the Crusaders have a "Rolls-Royce" forward pack, Razor has an abundance of riches, just about anyone could coach them to 5 consecutive titles!
Many of us knew Hansen was talking shit out of his arse with that comment, which was made solely to belittle & devalue Mo'unga's good work and justify his ongoing obsession with Beauden Barrett. Currently the Crusaders have the worst backrow in SR Aotearoa, and it's miraculous that Robertson was able to lead them to a title last year with what was effectively a provincial standard group of loosies.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

deverix wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:25 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:17 am
I agree. Surely any aspiring youngster would love to move to the Crusaders? We're a freakin All Black factory ffs! Players like Kaylum Boshier, Mitchell Karpik, Ben Teariki-Nicholas, Devan Flanders, Blake Gibson and Du Plessis Kirifi are all struggling for minutes and starts in their current franchises, sign then up!
No, no, you don't seem to understand Ali.. the Crusaders have hoarded all the talent for themselves, including their "Rolls-Royce" forward pack, Razor has an abundance of riches to choose from, anyone could coach them to four consecutive titles!
Even Ian Foster?
deverix

Post by deverix »

It was more in reference to the people who continued to use the 'Rolls-Royce pack' jibe even after Scott Robertson lost something like 1600 caps after that 2019 season. An embarrassingly redundant outdated excuse used frequently from ever-so bitter Chiefs supporters after their team once again finishes on the wrong side of the Crusaders.
Last edited by deverix on Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:35 am
deverix wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:25 am No, no, you don't seem to understand Ali.. the Crusaders have a "Rolls-Royce" forward pack, Razor has an abundance of riches, just about anyone could coach them to 5 consecutive titles!
Many of us knew Hansen was talking shit out of his arse with that comment, which was made solely to belittle & devalue Mo'unga's good work and justify his ongoing obsession with Beauden Barrett. Currently the Crusaders have the worst backrow in SR Aotearoa, and it's miraculous that Robertson was able to lead them to a title last year with what was effectively a provincial standard group of loosies.
If you looked at the beginning of the season, you could make a compelling argument that both the Highlanders and Blues had stronger second-string back rows than our first-choice.

Blues:

1st:

6. Ioane
7. Papalii
8. Sotutu

2nd:

6. Gibson
7. Hunt
8 Robinson

Highlanders:

1st:

6. Frizell
7. Harmon
8. MMT

2nd:

6. Squire
7. Lentjies
8. Himeno

Still unused: Ben-Nicholas

Even the Canes have the likes of Fifita, Evans, and Flanders who aren't nailed on starters, but would be welcomed with open arms here.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

deverix wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:46 am It was more in reference to the people who continued to use the 'Rolls-Royce pack' jibe even after Scott Robertson lost something like 1600 caps after that 2019 season. An embarrassingly redundant outdated excuse used frequently from ever-so bitter Chiefs supporters after their team once again finishes on the wrong side of the Crusaders.
I understood your meaning. The comment has aged terribly, and really shows that Steve Hansen was in a dreadful headspace near the end of his tenure.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

deverix wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:46 am It was more in reference to the people who continue to use the 'Rolls-Royce pack' jibe even after Scott Robertson lost something like 1600 caps after that 2019 season.
Robertson gets nowhere near enough credit for subtly rebuilding this team, while still keeping a stable core of players and staying on top.

Just think of the talent he has lost over the course of his tenure:

1. Crockett
2. Funnell
3. Franks
4. Romano (I know he's technically still around, but not featuring)
6. Taufua
7. Todd
8. Read
9. Stratton
10. Hunt
11. Macilai
12. Crotty
13. Bateman
14. Tamanivalu
15. Dagg

17. Perry
19. Samu
20. Bedwell-Curtis
21. Fukofuka
22. Wainui
23. Paea

Others: Digby Ioane, Punivai, Mike Delaney, Harmon, M McKenzie, Inga Finau, T Faiinganuku

It is a serious achievement to have lost all that talent over your tenure while remaining on top.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Good thing you boys have got the tears of self pity as you rub yourselves raw.

No one cares or has any sympathy.
No one thinks that any team/squad is stronger than the Saders.
Of course you look weaker - because you are - but still stronger than anyone else.

I appreciate you’ve struggling to deal with the fact you lost to the Landers - and are in a ‘slump’ compared to the past form.

But one might expect that might wish to show a bit of backbone and have a little dignity.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah, righto mate.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

mrbrownstone wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:57 am
It also sounds like Goodhue and Moody's injuries are serious, so we'll be going up against the form midfield in the competition (Tupaea/ALB) with a second choice centre pairing, with both Goodhue and Ennor missing.
Havili/Mcleod I'd lean towards. In better news Ennor is training and looking good. Will be returning within 2 weeks.

This is a huge game though, Crusaders have sewn up a spot in the final and now need to start playing better together as there is only the Chiefs then Blues left before the final.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

JPNZ wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:16 am
mrbrownstone wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:57 am
Havili/Mcleod I'd lean towards. In better news Ennor is training and looking good. Will be returning within 2 weeks.
That's good news but not ideal timing as we have a bye in two weeks, in the final week of round robin action.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:18 am
That's good news but not ideal timing as we have a bye in two weeks, in the final week of round robin action.
Agree but if Goodhue is out long term I'd still have him in my team even for a final.

Its also good for the T/T comp. A lot of water under the bridge to go though
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

mrbrownstone wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:05 am
deverix wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:46 am It was more in reference to the people who continue to use the 'Rolls-Royce pack' jibe even after Scott Robertson lost something like 1600 caps after that 2019 season.
Robertson gets nowhere near enough credit for subtly rebuilding this team, while still keeping a stable core of players and staying on top.

1. Crockett
2. Funnell
3. Franks
6. Taufua
7. Todd
8. Read
9. Stratton
10. Hunt
11. Macilai
12. Crotty
13. Bateman
14. Tamanivalu
15. Dagg

17. Perry
19. Samu
20. Bedwell-Curtis
21. Fukofuka
22. Wainui
23. Paea

Others: Digby Ioane, Punivai, Mike Delaney, Harmon, M McKenzie, Inga Finau, T Faiinganuku

It is a serious achievement to have lost all that talent over your tenure while remaining on top.
Loose use of the word talent in some of those.

Also, some of those were just (often old men) fill ins, others were just flat out replaced by better players or were not wanted enough to stay. One I can't even remember - Stratton.

Razor has done an impressive job with the Crusaders but this post lays it on way way too thick which unsurprisingly sees a reaction like kiwigreg369's.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

UncleFB wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:49 am
mrbrownstone wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:05 am

1. Crockett
2. Funnell
3. Franks
6. Taufua
7. Todd
8. Read
9. Stratton
10. Hunt
11. Macilai
12. Crotty
13. Bateman
14. Tamanivalu
15. Dagg

17. Perry
19. Samu
20. Bedwell-Curtis
21. Fukofuka
22. Wainui
23. Paea

Loose use of the word talent in some of those.

Also, some of those were just (often old men) fill ins, others were just flat out replaced by better players or were not wanted enough to stay. One I can't even remember - Stratton.

Razor has done an impressive job with the Crusaders but this post lays it on way way too thick which unsurprisingly sees a reaction like kiwigreg369's.
Some of them are cheating (I'll admit) to get close to a full 23, but the front row, loose forwards, midfield, back three, and Hunt were all indisputably big losses at the time and have had to be rebuilt/depth added.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

JPNZ wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:24 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:18 am
Agree but if Goodhue is out long term I'd still have him in my team even for a final.

Its also good for the T/T comp. A lot of water under the bridge to go though
It'd be a risky call coming back from an ACL. Would be nice if he could be back in time for the Blues - even if just 20 off the bench.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

If the Saders get eaten again at the breakdown they simply won't win enough ball to beat the resurgent Chiefs.

The Chiefs are a better side than this year's Canes.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

jdogscoop wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:24 am If the Saders get eaten again at the breakdown they simply won't win enough ball to beat the resurgent Chiefs.

Agree 100%, so we have to form a 6/7/8 combination from the following

Sanders
Douglas
Havili Talitui
Blackadder (hopefully)
Grace
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

JPNZ wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:32 am
jdogscoop wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:24 am If the Saders get eaten again at the breakdown they simply won't win enough ball to beat the resurgent Chiefs.

Agree 100%, so we have to form a 6/7/8 combination from the following

Sanders
Douglas
Havili Talitui
Blackadder (hopefully)
Grace
8. Grace
7. Sanders
6. Blackadder

Very ungainly and white, but also tough and hard working. Play Douglas off the bench for impact.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Would that trio jackal enough pill? Sanders appears to be a GI-style monster in the mould of Papali'i, but I'm not convinced he can pilfer enough possession. Ditto Blackadder, although he at least does seem to have inherited his mum's pace.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

jdogscoop wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:46 am Would that trio jackal enough pill? Sanders appears to be a GI-style monster in the mould of Papali'i, but I'm not convinced he can pilfer enough possession. Ditto Blackadder, although he at least does seem to have inherited his mum's pace.
I made a comment about jackalling on the AB squad selection thread. The Crusaders have won four SR titles in a row without focusing on jackling. We have the lowest number of turnovers in SR Aotearoa by a margin but are still on top of the table, with the best defense and attack. Richie McCaw won 2 x RWC's when he stopped looking to jackle and made his focus tackling and cleaning. Personally I think jackling is overrated. The Crusaders need to improve their clean out to stop their opposition jackling as much as they are, but I am relaxed about playing without a jackler because we don't have one in our squad. Our most effective jacklers are Goodhue, Havili, Reece and Fainga'anuku.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

deverix wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:46 am It was more in reference to the people who continued to use the 'Rolls-Royce pack' jibe even after Scott Robertson lost something like 1600 caps after that 2019 season. An embarrassingly redundant outdated excuse used frequently from ever-so bitter Chiefs supporters after their team once again finishes on the wrong side of the Crusaders.
Just to help Crusaders supporters who are obviously losing sleep over the inexperience of your pack.
As at start of season Crusaders pack included :
893 super caps, and Chiefs had 546, so you can sleep easy . :roll:

Plus I suspect Chiefs maybe thinking of playing someone who has only played lock for his club this year at 7 :nod: :D
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:50 am
I made a comment about jackalling on the AB squad selection thread. The Crusaders have won four SR titles in a row without focusing on jackling. We have the lowest number of turnovers in SR Aotearoa by a margin but are still on top of the table, with the best defense and attack. Richie McCaw won 2 x RWC's when he stopped looking to jackle and made his focus tackling and cleaning. Personally I think jackling is overrated. The Crusaders need to improve their clean out to stop their opposition jackling as much as they are, but I am relaxed about playing without a jackler because we don't have one in our squad. Our most effective jacklers are Goodhue, Havili, Reece and Fainga'anuku.
I totally agree. If you have the loose forwards who can absolutely boss the area around the ruck and always gain the advantage line with the ball, you will do better than a side with just pilferers and scavengers.

But... tight forwards win matches.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

jdogscoop wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:46 am Would that trio jackal enough pill? Sanders appears to be a GI-style monster in the mould of Papali'i, but I'm not convinced he can pilfer enough possession. Ditto Blackadder, although he at least does seem to have inherited his mum's pace.
Fair enough. You still need to win your own pill though which the Saders weren't doing on the weekend. At least not often enough. If that's through a shit hot clean out, then fill your boots. The problem is the current loose trio was doing neither.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Tom Christie has been a bigger loss than many expected.

I genuinely think if our breakdown work continues at the standard of the last two weeks, we will lose a high-intensity final where the breakdown is crucial.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

mrbrownstone wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:13 am Tom Christie has been a bigger loss than many expected.

I genuinely think if our breakdown work continues at the standard of the last two weeks, we will lose a high-intensity final where the breakdown is crucial.
Keep going at that standard and I reckon we'd be watching the final, not playing it.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

mrbrownstone wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:13 am Tom Christie has been a bigger loss than many expected.

He did, however, have a timeframe for tackling machine Christie, who has had successful shoulder surgery after dislocating it against the Blues late last month.

The 23-year-old, who led the competition in tackles (40) when he went down, will miss the Trans-Tasman competition and Canterbury’s NPC campaign, ruling him out until the 2022 Super Rugby campaign.
trapper

Post by trapper »

Cody Taylor is pretty good at the pilfer.

Tom Christie is a huge loss, I remember watching him in his last game amazed how the bloke continually gets up off the floor to get back in the defensive line, he got through a shit load of work... and then he got injured.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

This is so true, why I was surprised that a number of posters were calling for Boshier to be in ABs ahaed of Cane etc lst year. As you rightfully point out that is the type of 7 that rules the games these days. So long os tighties allow them the opportunity to do it.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

There will be some interesting selection headaches this week for Scott Robertson, in the mid-field and backrow.

Jack Goodhue's untimely injury is a big loss for the Crusaders. Leicester Fainga'anuku did well at centre when he came on early for Goodhue, and I expect he will wear 13. The other option is big Dallas McLeod. McLeod has been solid for the Crusaders this year, but is really a 12 rather than a 13.

The backrow has been a bit problematic for us since Tom Christie's injury. The reality is we lack a quality 7. Sione Havili Talitui tries hard and is a workhorse, but he lacks quality and class. And the rest of our backrowers are all blindside flankers. I'd favour bringing Tom Sanders into the team at openside and leaving Grace at 8 and Blackadder at 6.

I also hope Roberston uses what's left of 2021 to put gametime into our young props. With Ala'alatoa now a confirmed departure, it's time to focus on the development of Fletcher Newell, Oli Jager and the dual-sided Tamaiti Williams.