Laporte - Best Player ever I have coached

All things Rugby
Midfieldmaestro

Laporte - Best Player ever I have coached

Post by Midfieldmaestro »

Bernard Laporte WR vice president, coached France, Toulon to a hattrick European Cups said Bakkies was his best

https://punditarena.com/rugby/eoin-hart ... yer-coach/

https://youtu.be/MR5_ARsy-bw
ZuluBoy

Re: Laporte - Best Player ever I have coached

Post by ZuluBoy »

Must be one of the best ever coaches if he could teach Bakkies anything
Very streetwise as Bakkies learned some tricks by him snd he grew more malicious in France
The headbutt. Bakkies explained the little guy was chirping too much and he Bakkies was faster than him and got pulled back by his jersey but he caught up with him 10m further on
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

Unfashionable choice, but not entirely surprising, Botha was a world class No.4 for many seasons.
ZuluBoy

Post by ZuluBoy »

long standing partnership with Vic Matfield for the Bulls. Great community work he did once retired returned.

https://www.jacarandafm.com/breakfast-m ... n-farmers/
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

That Baby Eating lock position is the hardest one to fill in rugby. Makes a massive difference to a team having someone of that size going about creaming rucks on their own and absolutely loving the biff.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:09 am That Baby Eating lock position is the hardest one to fill in rugby. Makes a massive difference to a team having someone of that size going about creaming rucks on their own and absolutely loving the biff.
I think the days of the enforcer lock are long gone. If they ever existed. NZ won RWC's in 2011 and 2015 without one, and the Crusaders have won 11 Super Rugby titles without such a player. Bakkies was effective because he was a great Rugby player, not because he absolutely loved the biff. In fact I never saw him fight, his penchant was for off the ball foul play against halfbacks.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:41 am
Jeff the Bear wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:09 am That Baby Eating lock position is the hardest one to fill in rugby. Makes a massive difference to a team having someone of that size going about creaming rucks on their own and absolutely loving the biff.
I think the days of the enforcer lock are long gone. If they ever existed. NZ won RWC's in 2011 and 2015 without one, and the Crusaders have won 11 Super Rugby titles without such a player. Bakkies was effective because he was a great Rugby player, not because he absolutely loved the biff. In fact I never saw him fight, his penchant was for off the ball foul play against halfbacks.
:|

AB had Brad Thorn and Jerome Kaino playing that role.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Rugby2023 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:50 pm Unfashionable choice, but not entirely surprising, Botha was a world class No.4 for many seasons.
He was one of my favourite players. I was in favour of the (then) ARU approaching SARU with a view to taking some cuttings from him.
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

Willie Falloon wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:19 am

An in-form Retallick is hardly a softie either.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Neither Thorn or Jerome Kaino were dirty players. Certainly not in the Bakkies Botha mould. Thorn did toss once an over-weight John Smit into the air like he was a man-sized Frisbee, but from memory he wasn't even penalised for it. That was back when referees were scared of the All Blacks and did whatever Richie McCaw told them.
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

I don't think Jeff's baby eating comments were meant to be taken that literally.
openclashXX

Post by openclashXX »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:41 am I think the days of the enforcer lock are long gone. If they ever existed.
Etzebeth is the heir to Bakkies and the Boks just won a RWC with him at lock
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

openclashXX wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:32 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:41 am I think the days of the enforcer lock are long gone. If they ever existed.
In what way is Etzebeth the "heir" to Botha? Is it because they both play lock? Both white?
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:06 am

Neither Thorn or Jerome Kaino were dirty players. Certainly not in the Bakkies Botha mould. Thorn did toss once an over-weight John Smit into the air like he was a man-sized Frisbee, but from memory he wasn't even penalised for it. That was back when referees were scared of the All Blacks and did whatever Richie McCaw told them.
I think you've taken 'likes the biff' a bit too literally. Yes, Botha could be a dirty bastard, but it wasn't like he spent 80 minutes of every game doing something illegal. 99% of the time he was doing his job...with that job being inflicting pain within the laws of the game.

I find it bizarre that you think that NZ don't have players like that. In fact, I'd say that Retallick has been the nearest player to Botha since his retirement. In his pomp, Retallick would hit numerous rucks in a quasi-legal manner, absolutely smashing the fudge out of anyone who was there, and inflicting damage along the way.

Because rugby players are taught not to show pain from a young age, you think it doesn't happen now at Pro level because the camera is always on them and no one is roling about on the floor...but I just don't see how you can have 120kg guys going full tilt into someone in rucks and not be doling out significant amounts of pain. It's like a boxer constantly going to the body. In the beginning it doesn't look like it's doing anything, but by the end, you can see how it has worn down the opposition.

...and that's where your bruising lock comes in. If you've got a good one, they'll go a long way to sapping the energy from the opposition over the course of a game.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:42 am
In what way is Etzebeth the "heir" to Botha? Is it because they both play lock? Both white?
Both similar style players , enforcers with a strength based game, rather than the rangy athletic lock or seagullong clapping choker. Mentioning their colour is rancid obvious bait (I would have used the racist Afrikaans route myself...)
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:53 am I think you've taken 'likes the biff' a bit too literally. Yes, Botha could be a dirty bastard, but it wasn't like he spent 80 minutes of every game doing something illegal. 99% of the time he was doing his job...with that job being inflicting pain within the laws of the game.

I find it bizarre that you think that NZ don't have players like that. In fact, I'd say that Retallick has been the nearest player to Botha since his retirement. In his pomp, Retallick would hit numerous rucks in a quasi-legal manner, absolutely smashing the fudge out of anyone who was there, and inflicting damage along the way.

Because rugby players are taught not to show pain from a young age, you think it doesn't happen now at Pro level because the camera is always on them and no one is roling about on the floor...but I just don't see how you can have 120kg guys going full tilt into someone in rucks and not be doling out significant amounts of pain. It's like a boxer constantly going to the body. In the beginning it doesn't look like it's doing anything, but by the end, you can see how it has worn down the opposition.

...and that's where your bruising lock comes in. If you've got a good one, they'll go a long way to sapping the energy from the opposition over the course of a game.
So using your very general definition, every pro-level Rugby lock is a "baby eater"?

Tbh I agree with you that Botha was a dirty bastard who loved to engage in foul play. I just don't think such players are necessary to be successful. That's an old-school myth.
Last edited by Ali's Choice on Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

backrow wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:03 am
Both similar style players , enforcers with a strength based game, rather than the rangy athletic lock or seagullong clapping choker. Mentioning their colour is rancid obvious bait (I would have used the racist Afrikaans route myself...)
Rancid? :?
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Etzebeth never seemed consistent enough at test level to be compared to Botha. I hear he's playing well up north at the moment, but that's still not international rugby.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

mr bungle wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:13 am
Etzebeth never seemed consistent enough at test level to be compared to Botha. I hear he's playing well up north at the moment, but that's still not international rugby.
I see them as being very different locks. Bakkies was first and foremost a tackler, cleaner and lifter. Etzebeth is a dominant lineout target who likes to run the ball occasionally. Bakkies is your classical tight lock, Etzebeth plays looser. They would have been a great combo.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Thorn was absolutely an enforcer, they don't all have to be headbutting the back of prone halfbacks heads.
openclashXX

Post by openclashXX »

yes, exactly
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Laporte loves his forwards, this goes back to his time when he was playing scrum-half behind the meanest French pack at Bordeaux-Begles.

He had some hair back then!

Midfieldmaestro

Post by Midfieldmaestro »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:16 am
I see them as being very different locks. Bakkies was first and foremost a tackler, cleaner and lifter. Etzebeth is a dominant lineout target who likes to run the ball occasionally. Bakkies is your classical tight lock, Etzebeth plays looser. They would have been a great combo.
Etzebeth can tackle, both he and Bakkies are hard runners

https://youtu.be/Nbmuqzn0-qA
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Botha was also banned for some weeks for eye-gouging in an international, and I think there were allegations of biting from the Wallabies in one test. That's not 'enforcer', more cheapshot.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

There was a time, it was very much the culture in rugby. I remember Toulouse hiring Trevor Brennan specifically because they had identified they needed an enforcer.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

TheFrog wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:14 pm There was a time, it was very much the culture in rugby. I remember Toulouse hiring Trevor Brennan specifically because they had identified they needed an enforcer.
...particularly for crowd control.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Whatever wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:29 pm
TheFrog wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:14 pm There was a time, it was very much the culture in rugby. I remember Toulouse hiring Trevor Brennan specifically because they had identified they needed an enforcer.
Very much warranted in France.

(Did you see my post on the Clermont Toulouse thread? I bumped on a guy with a Toulouse rugby shirt in Rock Creek Park this WE. So many Toulousans.)
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

TheFrog wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:32 pm

(Did you see my post on the Clermont Toulouse thread? I bumped on a guy with a Toulouse rugby shirt in Rock Creek Park this WE. So many Toulousans.)
Daniel? I'm on spoiler alert while I catch up on the various matches north and south from the weekend.

It was Brennan that went into a crowd to attack a spectator, was that in France?
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Whatever wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:36 pm
TheFrog wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:32 pm

Daniel? I'm on spoiler alert while I catch up on the various matches north and south from the weekend.

It was Brennan that went into a crowd to attack a spectator, was that in France?
Jean-François. Retired embassy staffer.

Yeah. Brennan sorted out an Ulster fan old style during a Champions Cup game. He played for Toulouse then.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

One of my favorite smart enforcer type of player was Paul O'Connell.

He was a player nobody liked to play against but knew exactly how to stay on the right side of the law.
towny

Post by towny »

Brad Thorn in 2011 and Brodie Retallick in 2015. It just so happens that Retallick can also do the fancy stuff so you forget that he's a thug.

Don't get me wrong - best lock I've seen.
ZuluBoy

Post by ZuluBoy »

Midfieldmaestro wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:03 pm

The first action clip in your video shows he is no different than Bakkies in the tackling dept. only a slightly different technique. The ball carrier was a tad unlucky he ran into Etzebeth.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

Midfieldmaestro wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:03 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=811T5D1aFBQ
handyman

Post by handyman »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:06 am

John Smit did get his revenge by smash tackling the ball out of Thorn from a quick throw in.
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

RuggaBugga wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:01 pm
Thorn was absolutely an enforcer, they don't all have to be headbutting the back of prone halfbacks heads.
Totally agree, one of the hardest guys I think I have ever seen play rugby but unlike any of the 'hard' guys he was never really a cheap shot merchant.
Bakkies was a very good lock but there is no doubt he was always looking for that little bit extra.