"I thought it was my taser" Shooting

All things Rugby
madman

Re: "I thought it was my taser" Shooting

Post by madman »

DragsterDriver wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:38 pm
feckwanker wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:15 am
Glaston wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:19 am So she turned off the safety on the gun and still thought it was a taser.

Weight difference too.
Positioning on belt.
Gun on main side, taser on off side
Yep, that dog just ain't gonna hunt.
I wear a tool belt everyday, never gone for the hammer on the wrong side- brain just refuses. I don’t believe her.
She is an oscar winning actress then.. if fact she better than any actress who has won a oscar..

You can hear the moment I her voice she realises she f**ked up and shot him. The regret is obvious.
piquant

Post by piquant »

madman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:13 pm

Sorry this has to be one of the most apologetic posts for criminals.. A guy is found to have a warrant for his arrest. The police try to arrest his (but appear to be rubbish with the handcuffs). The guy sees and opportunity to escape and attempts to jumping back in his car to escape. (your view is the police should just let him). Whilst in the struggle the police try to Taser him (perfectly valid) to stop an escaping criminal. In the confusion he got shot rather than being tasered.

However in if he had not tried to escape he would still be alive. He has to take some responsibility for his actions.

As to your policy of letting criminals go if they struggle.. who would be to blame if after letting him go he went down the road and ran over a 2 children ?
I will note again it's not just letting them go as you can bring a further charge of resisting arrest. I am however still of the view unless they're an obvious danger then safety is a better course of action than shooting someone, albeit yes it'd be good if the police could competently use handcuffs, and yes it's be better if the police can attend to it in the moment, but if they can't the next option is to shoot. Moving so quickly so often to electing to shoot people is a big part of the problem

Not sure why you're running a possible defence of something bad might happen had they not acted so incompetently, when there's an actual criticism something bad did happen. Although based on this instance the police and the criminal would share blame, the police for failing to take someone into custody and the criminal for their multiple criminal acts
piquant

Post by piquant »

madman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:58 pm
DragsterDriver wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:38 pm
feckwanker wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:15 am
Glaston wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:19 am So she turned off the safety on the gun and still thought it was a taser.

Weight difference too.
Positioning on belt.
Yep, that dog just ain't gonna hunt.
I wear a tool belt everyday, never gone for the hammer on the wrong side- brain just refuses. I don’t believe her.
She is an oscar winning actress then.. if fact she better than any actress who has won a oscar..

You can hear the moment I her voice she realises she f**ked up and shot him. The regret is obvious.
We cannot know that based on her reaction, nor the shouting she was about to deploy a taser. It's speculation either way
The Optimist

Post by The Optimist »

msp. wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:03 am Seems like a mistake looking at the video of the incident and her reaction.

If American society wants guns and issues them to police they have to accept that mistake will happen and people will be shot.
Agreed. Cost a life so she has to be prosecuted... manslaughter.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

madman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:17 pm
BBB wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:56 pm
madman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:39 pm Why did he resist arrest when being arrested and handcuffed and try and flee ? If all he had done wrong is have an air freshener hanging up?

Am i missing something ?
He apparently had a warrant out on him for failing to appear in court.

So it was a legitimate arrest that he resisted and tried to flee, the police shot him (by mistake whilst attempting to Taser him), and yet he is 100% innocent for what occurred, and the police officer is 100% in the wrong and racist.
Who said that? Who even implied it?

Your assertions involve too much supposition. Perhaps you have an agenda.

For the record, I don't buy the error claim. Still, it is possible that that is what did occur, so the officer, sorry ex officer, has to be given the benefit of the doubt, ydda yadda yadda.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Its obvious her actions are the result of her panicking. Which shows a lack of training and judgement. In which case she should never have been in charge of a lethal weapon. And why could the other officers not apply a set of handcuffs when they had him with his hands behind his back.

As for him trying to escape, if she was going to draw a weapon and fire a shot, why not into the tyre of his car. He would not have got far.

Compare with the two unarmed cops in NZ who stopped and arrested the mosque shooter who had just killed 51 people and was armed to the teeth. That shows calmness in a stress situation, good training and discipline.

Yank cops seem to have no idea of how to do their job.
madman

Post by madman »

Ted. wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:32 am
madman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:17 pm
BBB wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:56 pm
madman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:39 pm Why did he resist arrest when being arrested and handcuffed and try and flee ? If all he had done wrong is have an air freshener hanging up?

Am i missing something ?
He apparently had a warrant out on him for failing to appear in court.

So it was a legitimate arrest that he resisted and tried to flee, the police shot him (by mistake whilst attempting to Taser him), and yet he is 100% innocent for what occurred, and the police officer is 100% in the wrong and racist.
Who said that? Who even implied it?

Your assertions involve too much supposition. Perhaps you have an agenda.

For the record, I don't buy the error claim. Still, it is possible that that is what did occur, so the officer, sorry ex officer, has to be given the benefit of the doubt, ydda yadda yadda.
Agenda???

All i have done is watch the released footage of the shooting and come to my own conclusion, in that you can see that he was being handcuffed, he got away from the officer, got back in to his car and was driving away (trying to avoid being arrested) , the female officer pulled out her gun shouted Taser Taser Taser. normal Taser procedure to a) warn the suspect and b) warn the other police officers who are holding him.

She the shoots, and then seems surprised afterward that it was a gun not Taser she was holding.

Watching an event and drawing conclusions from it is not just supposition..

The officer made a mistake as someone said above they should be charged with manslaughter.

But to put it down as a racist incident,.. That is an agenda.
A5D5E5

Post by A5D5E5 »

piquant wrote:

There is a vast gulf between just letting him go and shooting him, even shooting him with a less lethal taser. The job is to protect and serve, and that can be managed over a 24 hour period of tracking him down and arresting him if needs be, and adding the charge of resisting arrest, and adding another charge belies the absurdity of saying not hooting him can be equated to just letting him go, they don't need to try and solve the situation in 24 seconds with a Hail Mary play. Such a quick escalation to shooting someone who wasn't looking like they were a danger to someone else simply shouldn't be the thought process.

I suspect they wouldn't even have needed 24 hours to track him down, they might have been able to follow him and apprehend minutes down the road, though then there's a question around is a high speed chase appropriate had he really tried to flee.

I suppose if his outstanding warrant is for something horrendously serious I might think about it a little differently, though you'd like to think were that the case he would already have been locked up ahead of his court case

I'm also fwiw not that perturbed for the individual involved, if you don't do what the police say I broadly think what happens next is your own sodding problem. But, there is a big problem when it comes to the wider societal take and how you police with consent, and they need to take a much greater interest in that, if for no other reason that it'd make their own jobs easier, though there are other reasons too
I'm not sure your policy of asking criminals nicely if they would like to go to jail and telling them how disappointed you are with them if they run away is really going to work.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

I don't think anybody being fair could watch that and think the daft bint was acting.
piquant

Post by piquant »

A5D5E5 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:09 am
piquant wrote:

There is a vast gulf between just letting him go and shooting him, even shooting him with a less lethal taser. The job is to protect and serve, and that can be managed over a 24 hour period of tracking him down and arresting him if needs be, and adding the charge of resisting arrest, and adding another charge belies the absurdity of saying not hooting him can be equated to just letting him go, they don't need to try and solve the situation in 24 seconds with a Hail Mary play. Such a quick escalation to shooting someone who wasn't looking like they were a danger to someone else simply shouldn't be the thought process.

I suspect they wouldn't even have needed 24 hours to track him down, they might have been able to follow him and apprehend minutes down the road, though then there's a question around is a high speed chase appropriate had he really tried to flee.

I suppose if his outstanding warrant is for something horrendously serious I might think about it a little differently, though you'd like to think were that the case he would already have been locked up ahead of his court case

I'm also fwiw not that perturbed for the individual involved, if you don't do what the police say I broadly think what happens next is your own sodding problem. But, there is a big problem when it comes to the wider societal take and how you police with consent, and they need to take a much greater interest in that, if for no other reason that it'd make their own jobs easier, though there are other reasons too
I'm not sure your policy of asking criminals nicely if they would like to go to jail and telling them how disappointed you are with them if they run away is really going to work.
I've no issue with forcibly handling those who don't cooperate. But in the very first instance I don't go from having failed to handcuff them, and they were initially complying, to shooting them once they panic and do something stupid. There really should be several intervening steps before that point of escalation is reached
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

obelixtim wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:04 am Its obvious her actions are the result of her panicking. Which shows a lack of training and judgement. In which case she should never have been in charge of a lethal weapon. And why could the other officers not apply a set of handcuffs when they had him with his hands behind his back.

As for him trying to escape, if she was going to draw a weapon and fire a shot, why not into the tyre of his car. He would not have got far.

Compare with the two unarmed cops in NZ who stopped and arrested the mosque shooter who had just killed 51 people and was armed to the teeth. That shows calmness in a stress situation, good training and discipline.

Iirc they were armed, but managed to get the guy without using their weapons.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

obelixtim wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:04 am Its obvious her actions are the result of her panicking. Which shows a lack of training and judgement. In which case she should never have been in charge of a lethal weapon. And why could the other officers not apply a set of handcuffs when they had him with his hands behind his back.

:lol:
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

piquant wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:53 am We cannot know that based on her reaction, nor the shouting she was about to deploy a taser. It's speculation either way
We do know that her explanation will be accepted and I dont have a problem with that.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

piquant wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:43 am I've no issue with forcibly handling those who don't cooperate. But in the very first instance I don't go from having failed to handcuff them, and they were initially complying, to shooting them once they panic and do something stupid. There really should be several intervening steps before that point of escalation is reached
I have to assume you know you are being a dickhead :thumbup:
piquant

Post by piquant »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:06 am
piquant wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:43 am I've no issue with forcibly handling those who don't cooperate. But in the very first instance I don't go from having failed to handcuff them, and they were initially complying, to shooting them once they panic and do something stupid. There really should be several intervening steps before that point of escalation is reached

Without doubt, it's a constant. But that's for other things, not for thinking the police shouldn't be killing people.

Shooting someone, killing them, and triggering riots and destruction seems somewhat at odds with protect and serve. And thus I'm minded to think they could have moved to calmly arrest him later that day, maybe within minutes or possibly within hours, or even if they'd arrested him the following day that would have been fine.

Obviously most people do survive their encounters with the police, but this adds to a perception that is built on some horrific outcomes, that the police are too quick to violence, and that can be worse depending on one's colour. Some of the reasons the police are too quick to violence aren't on the police, and they're put into some very dangerous situations and often deserve more support. But this wasn't a dangerous situation, it was a botched arrest following a reasonable stop, and then it got much worse and much worse in an already too troubling environment of police violence
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

"Triggering riots"

You really are a silly boy.
piquant

Post by piquant »

Mick Mannock wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:45 am "Triggering riots"

You really are a silly boy.
My bad, it was my understanding there's widespread mistrust of the police especially in regard to treatment of non whites. And this fed into all that resulting in some rioting in the locality.

Which bit is wrong, that there's mistrust of the police or the riots, or are neither correct?
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

The only ones responsible for rioting are rioters. It's a very simple concept.
msp.

Post by msp. »

piquant wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:36 am

Without doubt, it's a constant. But that's for other things, not for thinking the police shouldn't be killing people.

Shooting someone, killing them, and triggering riots and destruction seems somewhat at odds with protect and serve. And thus I'm minded to think they could have moved to calmly arrest him later that day, maybe within minutes or possibly within hours, or even if they'd arrested him the following day that would have been fine.

Obviously most people do survive their encounters with the police, but this adds to a perception that is built on some horrific outcomes, that the police are too quick to violence, and that can be worse depending on one's colour. Some of the reasons the police are too quick to violence aren't on the police, and they're put into some very dangerous situations and often deserve more support. But this wasn't a dangerous situation, it was a botched arrest following a reasonable stop, and then it got much worse and much worse in an already too troubling environment of police violence
But this was an arrest gone wrong, there was no true intention to shoot the victim.
piquant

Post by piquant »

fatcat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:53 am The only ones responsible for rioting are rioters. It's a very simple concept.

if you're going with that simplistic a take then the former police officer in this instance is on the line for first degree murder, being wholly responsible for her actions
piquant

Post by piquant »

msp. wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:27 pm
piquant wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:36 am

But this was an arrest gone wrong, there was no true intention to shoot the victim.
Whether taser or gun there was an intent to shoot.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

piquant wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:36 pm
fatcat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:53 am The only ones responsible for rioting are rioters. It's a very simple concept.

if you're going with that simplistic a take then the former police officer in this instance is on the line for first degree murder, being wholly responsible for her actions
Responsibility for actions is a one way street with the lads.
msp.

Post by msp. »

1st degree murder is premeditated.. this was not premeditated, she is responsible for her actions. but that would be manslaughter.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

She was responsible for her actions and Wright was responsible for his. Both contributed to the tragic end. I'm not sure why you think a first degree murder charge is on the cards though.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Mullet 2 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:11 pm

If you're including me in 'the lads' then you're wrong.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Weight difference too.
Positioning on belt.

What gun was it? I read it was a Glock. They’ve a trigger safety.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Officer resigned, being charged with 2nd degree manslaughter
Rowdy

Post by Rowdy »

Perhaps if she carried the gun south African style?

msp.

Post by msp. »

Jensrsa wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:39 pm Officer resigned, being charged with 2nd degree manslaughter

Be interesting what happens at her trial, problem is that she will now be a political football which makes it hard for justice to be found.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

msp. wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:19 pm
Jensrsa wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:39 pm Officer resigned, being charged with 2nd degree manslaughter

Be interesting what happens at her trial, problem is that she will now be a political football which makes it hard for justice to be found.
There is no problem. She will probably cop a plea. she is guilty after all. She should have said she thought he was going for a gun and she was in fear for her life. She would still have a job
Brumbieman

Post by Brumbieman »

FWIW - out of all of these incidents i've seen - this legit doesn't seem malicious. It may be one of the only few captured on video that it legitimately seems like a complete fudge up under pressure.

The US police force have an unbelievable number of dodgy racist plum who joined up just to have an excuse to murder people, but this one doesn't have that air about it.

Her previous career/complaints if any etc might shed a bit more light.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Working Class Rugger

Post by Working Class Rugger »

Perhaps it was a genuine mistake. Will have to ask the few cops I know if they can distinguish the different without seeing their weapon. But I think there may be a case for having cops particularly those in the US to have 'less-lethal' options in terms of ammunition. Or at least a mix. Which is possible. Perhaps the first few rounds being less lethal giving them time to actually stop before delivering a lethal blow.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Working Class Rugger wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:51 am Perhaps it was a genuine mistake. Will have to ask the few cops I know if they can distinguish the different without seeing their weapon. But I think there may be a case for having cops particularly those in the US to have 'less-lethal' options in terms of ammunition. Or at least a mix. Which is possible. Perhaps the first few rounds being less lethal giving them time to actually stop before delivering a lethal blow.
Well that's precisely the point of the taser, that they have a less lethal option, and you would hope that the distinct differences between the 2 in shape, weight, colour, etc would be enough to help the officer distinguish between them in the heat of an altercation. If you're going to arm them, there's not much point in making them expend the first 3 rounds before the pointy ones come out.
Working Class Rugger

Post by Working Class Rugger »

DOB wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:02 am
Working Class Rugger wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:51 am Perhaps it was a genuine mistake. Will have to ask the few cops I know if they can distinguish the different without seeing their weapon. But I think there may be a case for having cops particularly those in the US to have 'less-lethal' options in terms of ammunition. Or at least a mix. Which is possible. Perhaps the first few rounds being less lethal giving them time to actually stop before delivering a lethal blow.
Well that's precisely the point of the taser, that they have a less lethal option, and you would hope that the distinct differences between the 2 in shape, weight, colour, etc would be enough to help the officer distinguish between them in the heat of an altercation. If you're going to arm them, there's not much point in making them expend the first 3 rounds before the pointy ones come out.
I get the point of the taser. But it seems to be a little lost on a number of them.
A5D5E5

Post by A5D5E5 »

"Please don't return fire while I'm shooting you with the fluffy bullets."
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Its obvious under normal circs the two are easily distinguishable.
Rowdy

Post by Rowdy »

Quite different. Are they carried next to each other?

bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Mullet 2 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:11 pm

From Reaganite to ANTIFA in one simple step.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Rowdy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:56 pm Perhaps if she carried the gun south African style?

At least she won't shoot herself in the foot