Death Penalty

All things Rugby
User avatar
The Optimist
Posts: 5167
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Chukity - puck!!!

Death Penalty

Post by The Optimist »

Always been against the death penalty, but with the increase in barbarity, over population, lack of deterrent for killers and the cost of imprisonment I think they should reinstate the death penalty.

The news is full of crazy arse wipes killing people, getting 10 years and they are out ready to kill again. Meanwhile the victims families pay forever. There are just too many people on the planet, need to cull the psychos, bogans and teenage joyriders.
User avatar
Olo
Posts: 6224
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: Lutra

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Olo »

Nice.......

This will be good.
naki111
Posts: 647
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Death Penalty

Post by naki111 »

Hear, hear!

It's just common sense.
User avatar
koroke hangareka
Posts: 3228
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Death Penalty

Post by koroke hangareka »

The Optimist wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:00 am Always been against the death penalty, but with the increase in barbarity, over population, lack of deterrent for killers and the cost of imprisonment I think they should reinstate the death penalty.

The news is full of crazy arse wipes killing people, getting 10 years and they are out ready to kill again. Meanwhile the victims families pay forever. There are just too many people on the planet, need to cull the psychos, bogans and teenage joyriders.

Can I ask you what exactly led you to oppose the death penalty in the first place? Given that the revelation that has led to your change of mind seems trite.
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 41917
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Anonymous 1 »

If we reintroduce the death penalty they will kick us out of the EU
User avatar
Jerome Manning
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:14 pm

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Jerome Manning »

I think we've underestimated the role violence plays in keeping things civil. People, even kids, should get a whack if they are being dickheads. We've completely overplayed our ability to reason.
User avatar
LandOTurk
Posts: 14364
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Death Penalty

Post by LandOTurk »

The sanctity of human life from conception to grave for me.

Look at the countries with capital punishment.

It's just a disgrace. Utterly barbaric.
User avatar
Sensible Stephen
Posts: 3218
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:45 am

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Sensible Stephen »

Personally I think we need to defund the police and just trust people more.

Also, remove doors from houses.
User avatar
The Optimist
Posts: 5167
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Chukity - puck!!!

Re: Death Penalty

Post by The Optimist »

Image


Execution

Costing the NZ tax payer a fortune per year, could be better spent on feeding the poor, building hospitals ... anything but this twat.
Mick Mannock
Posts: 25839
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Mick Mannock »

The Optimist wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:00 am Always been against the death penalty, but with the increase in barbarity, over population, lack of deterrent for killers and the cost of imprisonment I think they should reinstate the death penalty.

The news is full of crazy arse wipes killing people, getting 10 years and they are out ready to kill again. Meanwhile the victims families pay forever. There are just too many people on the planet, need to cull the psychos, bogans and teenage joyriders.
How many state executions do you think would be needed, Mr Gates?
naki111
Posts: 647
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Death Penalty

Post by naki111 »

The Optimist wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:29 am Image


Execution

Costing the NZ tax payer a fortune per year, could be better spent on feeding the poor, building hospitals ... anything but this twat.
Is that you, Garth?

With all due respect, the NZ police and CPS don't exactly have a stellar record when it comes to prosecuting and convicting alleged murderers.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12940
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

I think there should be the death penalty, for the most severe crimes, and only if guilt is totally unquestionable. Not as a punishment or deterrent either, as I really don't think the people that commit the kind of crimes we're talking about actually care too much.

It seems to me that the original primary opposition to this is a hypocritical religious one, "thou shalt not kill", "all life is sacred". Although it's been adopted by well-meaning softies, I don't believe they're thought it through before having a knee jerk reaction over it.

All life is sacred? Really? Why? Why should society keep an unrepentant child-rapist, torturer and murderer alive? It's not about "punishing" that person or "setting an example" or "revenge". It's simply the fact that that person's best contribution to society is as fertilizer for the prison gardens and keeping them alive is expensive.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
bimboman
Posts: 70454
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Death Penalty

Post by bimboman »

He world has never been less barbaric. The world is the most lawful and peace abiding it has ever been in history. The premise is wrong.

The state should kill people to save money is some slippery moral slope.


Dear god what an idiot.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12940
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

bimboman wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:56 am He world has never been less barbaric. The world is the most lawful and peace abiding it has ever been in history. The premise is wrong.

The state should kill people to save money is some slippery moral slope.

Dear god what an idiot.
The first thing is true, the second thing is not. The private prison institution in the US that relies on locking people up for minor offences is morally reprehensible. As for other countries you could just as easily argue that locking someone in a concrete box for life, often with extended periods of isolation, is a "slippery moral slope".

It's just not a slippery moral slope unless you're going by religious doctrine.
bimboman
Posts: 70454
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Death Penalty

Post by bimboman »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:58 am
bimboman wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:56 am He world has never been less barbaric. The world is the most lawful and peace abiding it has ever been in history. The premise is wrong.

The state should kill people to save money is some slippery moral slope.

Dear god what an idiot.
The first thing is true, the second thing is not. The private prison institution in the US that relies on locking people up for minor offences is morally reprehensible. As for other countries you could just as easily argue that locking someone in a concrete box for life, often with extended periods of isolation, is a "slippery moral slope".

It's just not a slippery moral slope unless you're going by religious doctrine.

So “ shall not kill “is required for humanity..... humanists argue otherwise.

Bloody atheist.

Sorry, it’s an absolute for me. The choice to take a life where avoidable isn’t right for the state. They lose all moral authority.
User avatar
Enzedder
Posts: 20942
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Enzedder »

bimboman wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:56 am He world has never been less barbaric. The world is the most lawful and peace abiding it has ever been in history. The premise is wrong.

The state should kill people to save money is some slippery moral slope.
Apart from the personal abuse which I deleted from the quote, I agree with Bimbo.
Meanwhile the victims families pay forever.
How will that change?
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 41917
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Sensible Stephen wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:48 am Personally I think we need to defund the police and just trust people more.

Also, remove doors from houses.
If you have limited funds and police not trained to be doing the soc7al work they are being asked to do would you not consider redistributing funds and responsibility
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12940
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

bimboman wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:02 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:58 am
bimboman wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:56 am He world has never been less barbaric. The world is the most lawful and peace abiding it has ever been in history. The premise is wrong.

The state should kill people to save money is some slippery moral slope.

Dear god what an idiot.
The first thing is true, the second thing is not. The private prison institution in the US that relies on locking people up for minor offences is morally reprehensible. As for other countries you could just as easily argue that locking someone in a concrete box for life, often with extended periods of isolation, is a "slippery moral slope".

It's just not a slippery moral slope unless you're going by religious doctrine.

So “ shall not kill “is required for humanity..... humanists argue otherwise.

Bloody atheist.

Sorry, it’s an absolute for me. The choice to take a life where avoidable isn’t right for the state. They lose all moral authority.
And your argument is purely religious, based in a book that also teaches that if a girl has sex before marriage, she should be dragged to the steps of her father's house and stoned to death by the men of the village.

I think we can safely summize that particular text is not any source of moral truth or righteousness.
User avatar
danny_fitz
Posts: 12480
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Mostly London........Mostly

Re: Death Penalty

Post by danny_fitz »

Ian Hislop and Priti Patel discuss the death penalty on Question Time

https://youtu.be/YtwDrjYvFeY
bimboman
Posts: 70454
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Death Penalty

Post by bimboman »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:08 am
bimboman wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:02 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:58 am
bimboman wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:56 am He world has never been less barbaric. The world is the most lawful and peace abiding it has ever been in history. The premise is wrong.

The state should kill people to save money is some slippery moral slope.

Dear god what an idiot.
The first thing is true, the second thing is not. The private prison institution in the US that relies on locking people up for minor offences is morally reprehensible. As for other countries you could just as easily argue that locking someone in a concrete box for life, often with extended periods of isolation, is a "slippery moral slope".

It's just not a slippery moral slope unless you're going by religious doctrine.

So “ shall not kill “is required for humanity..... humanists argue otherwise.

Bloody atheist.

Sorry, it’s an absolute for me. The choice to take a life where avoidable isn’t right for the state. They lose all moral authority.
And your argument is purely religious, based in a book that also teaches that if a girl has sex before marriage, she should be dragged to the steps of her father's house and stoned to death by the men of the village.

I think we can safely summize that particular text is not any source of moral truth or righteousness.

So you’re arguing that only religion keeps people from committing murder. ?
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12940
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Enzedder wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:07 am
bimboman wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:56 am He world has never been less barbaric. The world is the most lawful and peace abiding it has ever been in history. The premise is wrong.

The state should kill people to save money is some slippery moral slope.
Apart from the personal abuse which I deleted from the quote, I agree with Bimbo.
Any form of justification for taking someone and forcing them to do anything at all is a "morally slipperly slope". As far as "morals" go, there's a bee's dick of difference between locking someone is an isolated concrete box for the rest of their life and humane execution.

In fact, one could easily make a strong philosophical argument that the most moral thing to do is execution. Philosophically, Sam Harris argues that "good" is "whatever action causes the least amount of net suffering", not to the individual, but to all living things as a whole.

If someone has kidnapped, tortured and murdered a bunch of children, says vile, unrepentant and distressingly hurtful things after the fact, and guilt is absolutley assured, you really want to keep this person alive, albeit locked up for the rest of their life, because you believe this to be the most "moral" course of action?

Such cases are not unheard of. Some would argue that it's immoral not to execute such a person. Keeping them alive actually causes more suffering.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Petej
Posts: 4847
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Monmouthshire

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Petej »

danny_fitz wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:09 am Ian Hislop and Priti Patel discuss the death penalty on Question Time

https://youtu.be/YtwDrjYvFeY
Perhaps we should put it to a referendum? Ian Hislop is on a panel show and priti patel is home secretary. Priti Patel has been elected to represent the likes of bimbo et al which I'm sure she does admirably. Ian Hislop isn't elected and represents an out of touch elite.

Referendum would be good as I don't want to oppose the will of the people. At least in this case the outcome is defined so they do know what they are voting for.
User avatar
danny_fitz
Posts: 12480
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Mostly London........Mostly

Re: Death Penalty

Post by danny_fitz »

Petej wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:25 am
danny_fitz wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:09 am Ian Hislop and Priti Patel discuss the death penalty on Question Time

https://youtu.be/YtwDrjYvFeY
Perhaps we should put it to a referendum? Ian Hislop is on a panel show and priti patel is home secretary. Priti Patel has been elected to represent the likes of bimbo et al which I'm sure she does admirably. Ian Hislop isn't elected and represents an out of touch elite.
Ian Hislop rightfully points out that the numerous miscarriages of justice in the UK over the years makes the introduction of the death penalty a not terribly smart thing to do unless you think killing the wrong person from time to time is acceptable collateral.
User avatar
Petej
Posts: 4847
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Monmouthshire

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Petej »

danny_fitz wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:34 am
Petej wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:25 am
danny_fitz wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:09 am Ian Hislop and Priti Patel discuss the death penalty on Question Time

https://youtu.be/YtwDrjYvFeY
Perhaps we should put it to a referendum? Ian Hislop is on a panel show and priti patel is home secretary. Priti Patel has been elected to represent the likes of bimbo et al which I'm sure she does admirably. Ian Hislop isn't elected and represents an out of touch elite.
Ian Hislop rightfully points out that the numerous miscarriages of justice in the UK over the years makes the introduction of the death penalty a not terribly smart thing to do unless you think killing the wrong person from time to time is acceptable collateral.
I agree but I'm an out of touch scientist/engineer.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12940
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

danny_fitz wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:34 am
Petej wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:25 am
danny_fitz wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:09 am Ian Hislop and Priti Patel discuss the death penalty on Question Time

https://youtu.be/YtwDrjYvFeY
Perhaps we should put it to a referendum? Ian Hislop is on a panel show and priti patel is home secretary. Priti Patel has been elected to represent the likes of bimbo et al which I'm sure she does admirably. Ian Hislop isn't elected and represents an out of touch elite.
Ian Hislop rightfully points out that the numerous miscarriages of justice in the UK over the years makes the introduction of the death penalty a not terribly smart thing to do unless you think killing the wrong person from time to time is acceptable collateral.
I think that's a cheap point. If you're killing innocents, you're doing it wrong. Nobody is arguing for capital punishment, "and we acknowledge we'll be killing a few innocents along the way". :roll:

At least I certainly am not. I'm talking about cases such as described earlier. If someone has kidnapped, tortured and murdered a bunch of children, says vile, unrepentant and distressingly hurtful things after the fact, and guilt is absolutley assured.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Sensible Stephen
Posts: 3218
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:45 am

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Sensible Stephen »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:08 am
Sensible Stephen wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:48 am Personally I think we need to defund the police and just trust people more.

Also, remove doors from houses.
If you have limited funds and police not trained to be doing the soc7al work they are being asked to do would you not consider redistributing funds and responsibility
I would call for an overhaul of the system and not use misleading slogans that give people the wrong idea.
bimboman
Posts: 70454
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Death Penalty

Post by bimboman »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:41 am
danny_fitz wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:34 am
Petej wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:25 am
danny_fitz wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:09 am Ian Hislop and Priti Patel discuss the death penalty on Question Time

https://youtu.be/YtwDrjYvFeY
Perhaps we should put it to a referendum? Ian Hislop is on a panel show and priti patel is home secretary. Priti Patel has been elected to represent the likes of bimbo et al which I'm sure she does admirably. Ian Hislop isn't elected and represents an out of touch elite.
Ian Hislop rightfully points out that the numerous miscarriages of justice in the UK over the years makes the introduction of the death penalty a not terribly smart thing to do unless you think killing the wrong person from time to time is acceptable collateral.
I think that's a cheap point. If you're killing innocents, you're doing it wrong. Nobody is arguing for capital punishment, "and we acknowledge we'll be killing a few innocents along the way". :roll:


That’s exactly what support for the death penalty means in reality.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12940
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

bimboman wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:43 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:41 am
danny_fitz wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:34 am
Petej wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:25 am
danny_fitz wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:09 am Ian Hislop and Priti Patel discuss the death penalty on Question Time

https://youtu.be/YtwDrjYvFeY
Perhaps we should put it to a referendum? Ian Hislop is on a panel show and priti patel is home secretary. Priti Patel has been elected to represent the likes of bimbo et al which I'm sure she does admirably. Ian Hislop isn't elected and represents an out of touch elite.
Ian Hislop rightfully points out that the numerous miscarriages of justice in the UK over the years makes the introduction of the death penalty a not terribly smart thing to do unless you think killing the wrong person from time to time is acceptable collateral.
I think that's a cheap point. If you're killing innocents, you're doing it wrong. Nobody is arguing for capital punishment, "and we acknowledge we'll be killing a few innocents along the way". :roll:


That’s exactly what support for the death penalty means in reality.
Assume that if that's the reality, then I dont support capital punishment. I don't believe that has to be the reality, regardless of what has happened before, but just put that aside for a minute.

If, hypotheotically, we could be 100% sure of guilt, does that mean you would then support the death-penalty?
User avatar
Margin_Walker
Posts: 13035
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Margin_Walker »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:41 am
danny_fitz wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:34 am
Petej wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:25 am
danny_fitz wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:09 am Ian Hislop and Priti Patel discuss the death penalty on Question Time

https://youtu.be/YtwDrjYvFeY
Perhaps we should put it to a referendum? Ian Hislop is on a panel show and priti patel is home secretary. Priti Patel has been elected to represent the likes of bimbo et al which I'm sure she does admirably. Ian Hislop isn't elected and represents an out of touch elite.
Ian Hislop rightfully points out that the numerous miscarriages of justice in the UK over the years makes the introduction of the death penalty a not terribly smart thing to do unless you think killing the wrong person from time to time is acceptable collateral.
I think that's a cheap point. If you're killing innocents, you're doing it wrong. Nobody is arguing for capital punishment, "and we acknowledge we'll be killing a few innocents along the way". :roll:

At least I certainly am not. I'm talking about cases such as described earlier. If someone has kidnapped, tortured and murdered a bunch of children, says vile, unrepentant and distressingly hurtful things after the fact, and guilt is absolutley assured.
People who implement capital punishment legislation don't usually do so to kill innocents, but it absolutely happens.

Miscarriages of justice are a fact of life and occur everywhere to varying degrees. Set aside the moral argument for and against capital punishment, just one innocent individual being killed by the state is one too many for me.

You also get a situation like you do in the US where your sentence even when guilty will very much defend on the calibre of your legal representation. That's one thing when looking at the difference between 10 and 20 years in jail, completely another when talking about life and death.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12940
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Margin_Walker wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:47 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:41 am
danny_fitz wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:34 am
Petej wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:25 am
danny_fitz wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:09 am Ian Hislop and Priti Patel discuss the death penalty on Question Time

https://youtu.be/YtwDrjYvFeY
Perhaps we should put it to a referendum? Ian Hislop is on a panel show and priti patel is home secretary. Priti Patel has been elected to represent the likes of bimbo et al which I'm sure she does admirably. Ian Hislop isn't elected and represents an out of touch elite.
Ian Hislop rightfully points out that the numerous miscarriages of justice in the UK over the years makes the introduction of the death penalty a not terribly smart thing to do unless you think killing the wrong person from time to time is acceptable collateral.
I think that's a cheap point. If you're killing innocents, you're doing it wrong. Nobody is arguing for capital punishment, "and we acknowledge we'll be killing a few innocents along the way". :roll:

At least I certainly am not. I'm talking about cases such as described earlier. If someone has kidnapped, tortured and murdered a bunch of children, says vile, unrepentant and distressingly hurtful things after the fact, and guilt is absolutley assured.
People who implement capital punishment legislation don't usually do so to kill innocents, but it absolutely happens.

Miscarriages of justice are a fact of life and occur everywhere to varying degrees. Set aside the moral argument for and against capital punishment, just one innocent individual being killed by the state is one too many for me.

You also get a situation like you do in the US where your sentence even when guilty will very much defend on the calibre of your legal representation. That's one thing when looking at the difference between 10 and 20 years in jail, completely another when talking about life and death.
See the question I asked in the post directly above yours.
User avatar
Margin_Walker
Posts: 13035
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Margin_Walker »

We're talking about the real world here MOG, not hypotheticals
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12940
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Margin_Walker wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:55 am We're talking about the real world here MOG, not hypotheticals
No, I'm literally talking about hypotheticals. What is your answer?
User avatar
Sandstorm
Posts: 28878
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Chickenrunning...

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Sandstorm »

Killing 1 innocent person in a million seems ok right now if it involves a vaccine.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12940
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Sandstorm wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:56 am Killing 1 innocent person in a million seems ok right now if it involves a vaccine.
True! Solid point. However I'm not sure these chaps support vaccines either.
User avatar
Margin_Walker
Posts: 13035
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Margin_Walker »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:55 am
Margin_Walker wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:55 am We're talking about the real world here MOG, not hypotheticals
No, I'm literally talking about hypotheticals. What is your answer?
Would, I support the death penalty in that make believe scenario? Still nope.
User avatar
lorcanoworms
Posts: 12220
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Death Penalty

Post by lorcanoworms »

I have seen documentaries about people who got out of Prison due to improvements in dna etc.
It really exposes the tunnel vision a lot of cops have about the first suspect they came across.
User avatar
A5D5E5
Posts: 11472
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:57 pm

Re: Death Penalty

Post by A5D5E5 »

I find myself in a self contradictory position on this. On the one hand, I am totally opposed to the death penalty in any circumstance, even for the most terrible crimes and when guilt is certain.

On the other hand, I don't have any real issue with drone strikes targeting individuals who are known terrorists. I guess it just feels a bit more like military rather than judicial action.

I've been aware of my personal difficulty over this for some time and have come to accept it so feel free to criticise my hypocrisy.
User avatar
danny_fitz
Posts: 12480
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Mostly London........Mostly

Re: Death Penalty

Post by danny_fitz »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:41 am
danny_fitz wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:34 am
Petej wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:25 am
danny_fitz wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:09 am Ian Hislop and Priti Patel discuss the death penalty on Question Time

https://youtu.be/YtwDrjYvFeY
Perhaps we should put it to a referendum? Ian Hislop is on a panel show and priti patel is home secretary. Priti Patel has been elected to represent the likes of bimbo et al which I'm sure she does admirably. Ian Hislop isn't elected and represents an out of touch elite.
Ian Hislop rightfully points out that the numerous miscarriages of justice in the UK over the years makes the introduction of the death penalty a not terribly smart thing to do unless you think killing the wrong person from time to time is acceptable collateral.
I think that's a cheap point. If you're killing innocents, you're doing it wrong. Nobody is arguing for capital punishment, "and we acknowledge we'll be killing a few innocents along the way". :roll:

At least I certainly am not. I'm talking about cases such as described earlier. If someone has kidnapped, tortured and murdered a bunch of children, says vile, unrepentant and distressingly hurtful things after the fact, and guilt is absolutley assured.
No government are going to casually admit that now and again they occasionally kill the wrong person, but if you introduce capital punishment you have to tacitly accept that in an imperfect justice system that will eventually happen. Unrepentant serial killers and perpetrators of mass public terror attacks with hundreds of witnesses are not really going to be the problem, it's the lower profile cases where the f*ck ups are going to happen.
User avatar
Petej
Posts: 4847
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Monmouthshire

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Petej »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32061822

Hahaha look at the numbers. Easy to get that up with a targeted campaign. Good uk election issue for Tories as well due to the split vote in opposition. Going by the mother-in-law and other olds would be popular in that demographic.
User avatar
Frodder
Posts: 11492
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 pm
Location: Leafy Cheshire (West)

Re: Death Penalty

Post by Frodder »

Enzedder wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:07 am
bimboman wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:56 am He world has never been less barbaric. The world is the most lawful and peace abiding it has ever been in history. The premise is wrong.

The state should kill people to save money is some slippery moral slope.
Apart from the personal abuse which I deleted from the quote, I agree with Bimbo.
Meanwhile the victims families pay forever.
How will that change?
With Enz and Bimbo. I simply cannot be comfortable with the Death Penalty as a lawful option.
Post Reply