Fauci: Lockdowns are ineffective. Aus & NZ are wasting their time.

All things Rugby
Jerome Manning

Re: Fauci: Lockdowns are ineffective. Aus & NZ are wasting their time.

Post by Jerome Manning »

Enzedder wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:01 am I don't mind that we were wrong. I hope we keep being wrong with the results we have obtained.

Our aim was to buy time until treatments and vaccines could be established - I cannot see how that can be called wrong
Yeah, reality is currently making our response look awesome regardless of whatever the theory is meant to say.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Jerome Manning wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:51 am
Kiwias wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:49 am Did you listen to his explanation? One of the main reasons for his earlier comments was that a shortage of masks would mean that if the general population all decided to wear them, there would not be sufficient for medical staff. A perfectly valid position to take IMHO.
I am aware that that was the reason - that's not what was explained at the time though. Lying with good intentions is still lying.

The reason why it is significant is that when he changed his tune so say masks are now effective, enough people had been programmed to believe they wearn't. People don't suddenly change their minds. The messaging needed to be clear and consistent from the start:

"Masks are effective but we don't have enough for our frontline medical staff at the moment. Please refrain from using them and instead stay home and social distance"
Here is an in-depth look at what Fauci said back in March 2020. It makes it perfectly clear that he was not lying.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/po ... 068162001/
msp.

Post by msp. »

Enzedder wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:01 am I don't mind that we were wrong. I hope we keep being wrong with the results we have obtained.

Our aim was to buy time until treatments and vaccines could be established - I cannot see how that can be called wrong
Agree with this, whilst due to geography it was easier for Australia and New Zealand to isolate themselves. They do have the issue how to open up.. but their death rates speak for themselves..
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

C'mon guys. I was throwing out a bit of bait and even admitted as much on post 3 or something. :lol:

It was just a sensationalist headline. Fauci says that Australia won't be completely safe while the virus is still rampant outside her borders? Well duh, no shit.

If you read down the article a bit, he also says Ausrtalia's response has been excellent.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

I think Fauci is speaking from the perspective of a health official in a nation that has a costly but generally technically proficient health system that is out of reach of much of its population that at the same time leans strongly to individualism and suspicion of central government more than most countries, let alone egalitarian paradises like Aussie and NZ. Hence national lockdowns would probably be ineffective in the US and not particularity useful anyway given the range of the conditions. I also know where I would much rather be in this covid riddled world and that is not the US or Europe. But hey, some people don't know any different and I'm ok with that.
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

Ted. wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:16 am I think Fauci is speaking from the perspective of a health official in a nation that has a costly but generally technically proficient health system that is out of reach of much of its population that at the same time leans strongly to individualism and suspicion of central government more than most countries, let alone egalitarian paradises like Aussie and NZ. Hence national lockdowns would probably be ineffective in the US and not particularity useful anyway given the range of the conditions. I also know where I would much rather be in this covid riddled world and that is not the US or Europe. But hey, some people don't know any different and I'm ok with that.
I think you are on the right track here Ted. The US has a very unequal distribution of wealth and resources. I find it obscene that a country as rich as the US has people dying from very treatable conditions because they are poor or not being able to semi adequately educate their kids for the same reason. One thing I think this has highlighted is that 80% of the population in the US are two pay cheques from poverty and four pay cheques from revolution.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Ted. wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:16 am I think Fauci is speaking from the perspective of a health official in a nation that has a costly but generally technically proficient health system that is out of reach of much of its population that at the same time leans strongly to individualism and suspicion of central government more than most countries, let alone egalitarian paradises like Aussie and NZ. Hence national lockdowns would probably be ineffective in the US and not particularity useful anyway given the range of the conditions. I also know where I would much rather be in this covid riddled world and that is not the US or Europe. But hey, some people don't know any different and I'm ok with that.
I find it weird that NZ and Oz get attacked by some for these hard lockdowns, yet my 3 mates in the US, who live in different states went through longer and harder lockdowns than us. The main problem being the horse had already bolted before they locked down and there was interstate travel coming anyway.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

UncleFB wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:16 pm
I find it weird that NZ and Oz get attacked by some for these hard lockdowns, yet my 3 mates in the US, who live in different states went through longer and harder lockdowns than us. The main problem being the horse had already bolted before they locked down and there was interstate travel coming anyway.

And did worse than some states with much looser lockdowns and mask measures. They’re not worried about Australia ffs.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Oh, here's old justafluBimbo.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

guy smiley wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:44 pm Oh, here's old justafluBimbo.

Big old bed wetter.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

bimboman wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:47 pm
guy smiley wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:44 pm Oh, here's old justafluBimbo.

Big old bed wetter.
You can get that fixed these days, Bimbo. There's really no reason for you to suffer. Possibly.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Jerome Manning wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:24 am

Yeah, reality is currently making our response look awesome regardless of whatever the theory is meant to say.
Strange people are still trying to criticize it, put it down or dismiss it. The reality is, as you say, is showing it was a great course of action. One I wished more European countries learnt to follow come the 2nd peak in winter.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

bimboman wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:41 pm
UncleFB wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:16 pm

And did worse than some states with much looser lockdowns and mask measures. They’re not worried about Australia ffs.
1. Weird of you to come wading in with a comment like this when you don't even know the States.

2. Who cares who or who isn't worried about Australia?
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

Interesting to note that the case rates in California and Texas are basically the same despite California having much harsher lockdown measures.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

You kiwis are so precious . Mog trolls you over your excellent response to covid and you go all chicken oriental
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

True Blue wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:14 pm Interesting to note that the case rates in California and Texas are basically the same despite California having much harsher lockdown measures.
Cali is more internationally connected though isn't it? The rates and figures are ultimately due to a few factors, that includes lockdown compliance, timing and ability to enforce. Geography might favour Texas had they had the same lockdown measures. I still think, taking the Oz, NZ model, locking off borders quickly and firmly with quarantine measures for people entering, locking down infected regions to reduce the numbers means you can actually have shorter and less harsh lockdowns internally.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

How about Florida vs Cali?
puku

Post by puku »

fatcat wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:08 pm How about Florida vs Cali?
Well is we actually examine the data...

Rates are higher in FL v CA overall; so too TX v CA.

But if we examine the data a little closer around lockdowns in Cali v DeSantos "I don't give a fück" we find that FL rate has halved since the early January peak...Cali's is down over 95%. Yeah, but lockdowns don't work.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:40 pm You kiwis are so precious . Mog trolls you over your excellent response to covid and you go all chicken oriental
Fucking mutant viruses are Fauci's point but the Maori word for argue is Mog
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:55 am C'mon guys. I was throwing out a bit of bait and even admitted as much on post 3 or something. :lol:

It was just a sensationalist headline. Fauci says that Australia won't be completely safe while the virus is still rampant outside her borders? Well duh, no shit.

If you read down the article a bit, he also says Ausrtalia's response has been excellent.
Admit it, Mog. You write for The Australian.