TJ Perenara to the Roosters

All things Rugby
jambanja

TJ Perenara to the Roosters

Post by jambanja »

Just watching the news and it seems they've been talking to each other, looks like they want him at hooker, good fit for him I would have thought, position wise

Perhaps the flying alpaca Folau Fakatava has put too much pressure on him
JB1981

Re: TJ Perenara to the Roosters

Post by JB1981 »

What are John Kirwan’s thoughts on this? He is familiar with signing league players.
DD-2017

Post by DD-2017 »

He already looks and acts like a league player so it works for all parties really. Dont want such thuggish oiks in our sport
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

DD-2017 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:05 am He already looks and acts like a league player so it works for all parties really. Dont want such thuggish oiks in our sport
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/super- ... JBH4HT5AU/
Hurricanes captain TJ Perenara has been praised for his honesty after an act of sportsmanship during his side's 26-23 win over the Jaguares.

With the Hurricanes down 23-12 in the late stages of the game, Perenara looked to have scored a try after bundling over the try line over a pile of Jaguares players.

However, referee Rasta Rasivhenge's view of the grounding was blocked and, before the call went up to the TMO, Perenara quickly cleared up the confusion.

"Did you get it TJ?" asked Rasivhenge, to which Perenara replied: "No."

Rasivhenge, who seemed surprised by Perenara's reply, thanked the Canes captain for his honesty.

"Thanks for your honesty TJ … that's good leadership by you, thank you very much."

Sky's commentator also added to the praise for the No 9: "How about TJ Perenara telling the referee that he didn't ground the ball. TJ Perenara is showing his maturity and his leadership.

"He may be criticised in some circles but he is a brilliant player on the field and off the field that has set the highest standards in our game. You heard the acknowledgement from the referee thanking TJ for his honesty."
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

guy smiley wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:12 am
DD-2017 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:05 am He already looks and acts like a league player so it works for all parties really. Dont want such thuggish oiks in our sport
Hurricanes captain TJ Perenara has been praised for his honesty after an act of sportsmanship during his side's 26-23 win over the Jaguares.

With the Hurricanes down 23-12 in the late stages of the game, Perenara looked to have scored a try after bundling over the try line over a pile of Jaguares players.

However, referee Rasta Rasivhenge's view of the grounding was blocked and, before the call went up to the TMO, Perenara quickly cleared up the confusion.

Rasivhenge, who seemed surprised by Perenara's reply, thanked the Canes captain for his honesty.

"Thanks for your honesty TJ … that's good leadership by you, thank you very much."

Sky's commentator also added to the praise for the No 9: "How about TJ Perenara telling the referee that he didn't ground the ball. TJ Perenara is showing his maturity and his leadership.

"He may be criticised in some circles but he is a brilliant player on the field and off the field that has set the highest standards in our game. You heard the acknowledgement from the referee thanking TJ for his honesty."
He does seem to be a socially and culturally conscious chap, and good on him
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

So, you think ole dominatin' DD2017 was just being racist?
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

He’s one of the more enlightened players in the world. His stance on gay marriage and other social matters is to be commended. Great when sportspeople articulate well for important causes. Not often seen.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Would be fun to see. He'd be a good hooker in league.

Almost certainly just a ploy to drum up some interest given his contract renewal has been in the news. All seems too convenient. These rumours rarely play out.

Would be a strange signing for a champion club too. 30 year old with no real league background when they have quality hookers on their books.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

No way in the world this will happen. And even if it did, he'd earn a fraction of what he is currently getting playing Rugby. This sounds like TJP's manager is concerned about John Kirwan's comments from earlier in the week. I suspect he will be playing fulltime in Japan or France sooner rather than later.
shanky

Post by shanky »

mrbrownstone wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:45 am Would be fun to see. He'd be a good hooker in league.

Almost certainly just a ploy to drum up some interest given his contract renewal has been in the news. All seems too convenient. These rumours rarely play out.

Would be a strange signing for a champion club too. 30 year old with no real league background when they have quality hookers on their books.
He’d be making 40-50 tackles per game.

Not sure that’s a wise career move at this stage of his career.
towny

Post by towny »

No chance. He’d be a gun but unless he’s got some weird bucket list there’s just so many better options.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

towny wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:37 pm No chance. He’d be a gun but unless he’s got some weird bucket list there’s just so many better options.
Yep seems strange to me too Towny, as you say unless he got some kind of strange bucket list. As AC says if he looking elsewhere Japan rugby seems the place as he get more coin etc.
towny

Post by towny »

Dan54. wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:37 pm
towny wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:37 pm No chance. He’d be a gun but unless he’s got some weird bucket list there’s just so many better options.
Yep seems strange to me too Towny, as you say unless he got some kind of strange bucket list. As AC says if he looking elsewhere Japan rugby seems the place as he get more coin etc.
Japan also has awesome tax rates.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Yawn. Don't high profile union players and league players role out this story every time their contract is up for renegotiation?
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

guy smiley wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:12 am

Stupid thing to do.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Reminds me a little of those morons who pick up people ahead of them who collapse before finishing a competitive marathon. Needless, contemptible gesture.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Floppykid wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:34 pm Reminds me a little of those morons who pick up people ahead of them who collapse before finishing a competitive marathon. Needless, contemptible gesture.
Doesn't really correlate. But A for effort for you.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

mr bungle wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:52 am
He’s one of the more enlightened players in the world. His stance on gay marriage and other social matters is to be commended. Great when sportspeople articulate well for important causes. Not often seen.
:lol:

He couldn't have picked a more worse example of a "thuggish oik"
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Thomas wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:47 pm

:lol: TJP is a vegetarian, ffs. A thuggish, left leaning vegetarian who is outspoken on LGTBQIA+ rights.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:51 pm

:lol: TJP is a vegetarian, ffs. A thuggish, left leaning vegetarian who is outspoken on LGTBQIA+ rights.
Well there you go, no wonder a proud Irishman thinks he's an oik and a thug.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Didn't TJ wear rainbow laces once in support of same sex marriage?

What an oik.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Thomas wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:55 pm Didn't TJ wear rainbow laces once in support of same sex marriage?

What an oik.
Yep, he's the Kiwi equivalent of David Pocock. So thuggish. So oikish.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Thuggish Oik! :lol:
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

I'm honestly surprised people even bothered to pick up this story.

I doubt even TJ's manager believes it.

Feels a bad mad-lib. TJ is in the news via Kirwin this week and the Roosters are down to their 6th string hooker through injuries and retirements.

At least put some effort in!
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

towny wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:48 pm
Really? Like what? But the cost of living is sky high.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

He's already in Japan
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

mrbrownstone wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:00 am I'm honestly surprised people even bothered to pick up this story.

I doubt even TJ's manager believes it.

Feels a bad mad-lib. TJ is in the news via Kirwin this week and the Roosters are down to their 6th string hooker through injuries and retirements.

At least put some effort in!
It's a bizarre story - hard to know where the rumour would have started. It might have been believable if it was a weak club picking him up for cheap. No way the Roosters are gambling on a 29 year old who has never played the game.

There'd be a hundred guys playing club footy in NSW that you'd pick ahead of him. I honestly think he would struggle.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

LandOTurk wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:03 am
I'd assume some of the costs of living will be covered for them - it was when one of my mates was playing over there.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

jambanja wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:03 am
He's already in Japan
Yep, but only for another month or so.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

We'll really struggle to replace TJ.

I can't think of anyone else who could do the haka so well.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

jdogscoop wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:51 am We'll really struggle to replace TJ.

I reckon Dane Coles is your man.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

In more disturbing news, the idiotic Canes have resigned Julian Savea for another two years. Two fucking years!
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Zakar wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:11 am
jdogscoop wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:51 am We'll really struggle to replace TJ.

I reckon Dane Coles is your man.
Too white.

I'd give it to Smith, A. He's brown, but wouldn't be as ferocious as Perenara.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Ted. wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:32 am In more disturbing news, the idiotic Canes have resigned Julian Savea for another two years. Two fucking years!
The Bus will depreciate neatly in line with the quality of your public transport system.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:51 pm

No vegetarian has ever committed a crime...

Fact.
towny

Post by towny »

LandOTurk wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:03 am
I used to work for expat contractors there - no FBT so all the rent and other allowances were tax free. Reckon all up they were paying about 10%.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

So the Roosters are apparently offering TJP just $130K to switch codes.

To put this into perspective, he's currently earning around $700K in Japan for his one season sabbatical, and as a 69 test tier All Black his base NZR salary would be around $600K - $700K.

The $130,000 deal the Roosters hope will lure All Blacks star
By Sam Phillips
April 16, 2021 — 6.00pm

The Roosters are set to table a bargain-basement deal of about $130,000 for the remainder of the NRL season to All Blacks star TJ Perenara.

According to sources with knowledge of discussions, the Sydney club is set to offer a one-year deal, worth about $130,000, for just a handful of games to the rugby union halfback, who is currently on a sabbatical with Japanese side Red Hurricanes.

The Japanese Top League season does not finish until May 23 and while Red Hurricanes have qualified for the play-offs, it is unlikely they will progress to the final.

But Perenara would have to quarantine in Australia, meaning the very earliest he could be considered for selection would be round 14, when the Roosters face the Titans on Saturday, June 12.

Perenara, 29, would need to become accustomed to the 13-man game before being picked by Roosters coach Trent Robinson, who last year showed patience in the way he introduced former All Black Sonny Bill Williams in a similar situation last year.

Williams, though, had much more experience in rugby league than Perenara, who has played for the Wellington Hurricanes and the All Blacks for the best part of a decade and will need time to adjust.

The Roosters started considering a play for Perenara about one month ago. Robinson is eager to cover the gap left by retired captain Jake Friend and while Sam Verrills will have returned from a knee injury by the time Perenara could play, any further injuries would leave them short at a pivotal position.

Robinson is close with Michael Cheika and the former Wallabies coach was a key figure in the plan to pursue Perenara.

Perenara’s agent has also reached out to other NRL clubs to gauge their interest in the 69-Test Kiwi.

Despite his interest in a code switch, the Hurricanes remain hopeful of luring their former captain back to New Zealand.

“I’m pretty confident – I know what we need to do to get TJ home but it doesn’t surprise me there might be interest from other sports or at least rugby league,” Hurricanes CEO Avan Lee told NZME.

“He loves rugby league – it’s not really a surprise. When you’ve been in and around professional rugby for a while, you know it’s a pretty fluid process.”

Perenara’s teammates also backed the 29-year-old’s ability should he make the move.

“If this is real news, he would be the best hooker in the competition. No doubt,” All Blacks centre and former New Zealand Warriors star Ngani Laumape posted on Twitter.

Star All Blacks forward Ardie Savea echoed Laumape’s prediction, calling Perenara “the hardest working man I know”.

New Zealand rugby great Sir John Kirwan said if it was up to him he would let Perenara - who has almost always been behind Aaron Smith in the pecking order - walk away now and begin succession planning for the 2023 World Cup.

“You can’t re-sign Perenara,” Kirwan said on Sky Sport’s Breakdown. “You cannot re-sign him. I love the man, don’t get me wrong. But who do you want to keep?

“Because I think there’s some young guys coming through and for the next World Cup I just think [they need to focus on developing them].

“Look, I’d loved to sign him but if it was a case of signing a couple of young guys that are going to get us to the next World Cup, as good and on further, then I think he’s going to be [omitted].”
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:33 pm So the Roosters are apparently offering TJP just $130K to switch codes.

To put this into perspective, he's currently earning around $700K in Japan for his one season sabbatical, and as a 69 test tier All Black his base NZR salary would be around $600K - $700K.
So if it's $130k on the Roosters books, that's about $600k in real money received.

It's how the Roosters cap works. "He signed here for massive unders, because he wants to wear the Roosters jersey and win a premiership." When the contract ends "We have $600k to go shopping for another marquee signing as we didn't resign Perenara."

I think he'd make an excellent league player - has a game that seems well suited to a league hooker. Plenty of family to assist with advice on a transition - his uncle Bernie is an excellent league coach. Played a bit of footy with some of his cousins over the years too (including as a boy in Auckland rep rugby teams with his cousin Bernard, who was also a halfback in rugby).

Though I agree it's probably mostly a ploy by his agent.

Personally I hope he stays with his team in Japan for an extra season. My very ill 5 year old nephew just "joined their team" as part of a "make a wish" type thing they run and I think he'd probably end up his favourite player if he stayed.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:33 pm So the Roosters are apparently offering TJP just $130K to switch codes.

The $130,000 deal the Roosters hope will lure All Blacks star
By Sam Phillips
April 16, 2021 — 6.00pm

The Roosters are set to table a bargain-basement deal of about $130,000 for the remainder of the NRL season to All Blacks star TJ Perenara.

According to sources with knowledge of discussions, the Sydney club is set to offer a one-year deal, worth about $130,000, for just a handful of games to the rugby union halfback, who is currently on a sabbatical with Japanese side Red Hurricanes.

The Japanese Top League season does not finish until May 23 and while Red Hurricanes have qualified for the play-offs, it is unlikely they will progress to the final.

But Perenara would have to quarantine in Australia, meaning the very earliest he could be considered for selection would be round 14, when the Roosters face the Titans on Saturday, June 12.

Perenara, 29, would need to become accustomed to the 13-man game before being picked by Roosters coach Trent Robinson, who last year showed patience in the way he introduced former All Black Sonny Bill Williams in a similar situation last year.

Williams, though, had much more experience in rugby league than Perenara, who has played for the Wellington Hurricanes and the All Blacks for the best part of a decade and will need time to adjust.

The Roosters started considering a play for Perenara about one month ago. Robinson is eager to cover the gap left by retired captain Jake Friend and while Sam Verrills will have returned from a knee injury by the time Perenara could play, any further injuries would leave them short at a pivotal position.

Robinson is close with Michael Cheika and the former Wallabies coach was a key figure in the plan to pursue Perenara.

Perenara’s agent has also reached out to other NRL clubs to gauge their interest in the 69-Test Kiwi.

Despite his interest in a code switch, the Hurricanes remain hopeful of luring their former captain back to New Zealand.

“I’m pretty confident – I know what we need to do to get TJ home but it doesn’t surprise me there might be interest from other sports or at least rugby league,” Hurricanes CEO Avan Lee told NZME.

“He loves rugby league – it’s not really a surprise. When you’ve been in and around professional rugby for a while, you know it’s a pretty fluid process.”

Perenara’s teammates also backed the 29-year-old’s ability should he make the move.

“If this is real news, he would be the best hooker in the competition. No doubt,” All Blacks centre and former New Zealand Warriors star Ngani Laumape posted on Twitter.

Star All Blacks forward Ardie Savea echoed Laumape’s prediction, calling Perenara “the hardest working man I know”.

New Zealand rugby great Sir John Kirwan said if it was up to him he would let Perenara - who has almost always been behind Aaron Smith in the pecking order - walk away now and begin succession planning for the 2023 World Cup.

“You can’t re-sign Perenara,” Kirwan said on Sky Sport’s Breakdown. “You cannot re-sign him. I love the man, don’t get me wrong. But who do you want to keep?

“Because I think there’s some young guys coming through and for the next World Cup I just think [they need to focus on developing them].

“Look, I’d loved to sign him but if it was a case of signing a couple of young guys that are going to get us to the next World Cup, as good and on further, then I think he’s going to be [omitted].”
130k for a handful of games? That's RFU money.
BBB

Post by BBB »

Ted. wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:32 am In more disturbing news, the idiotic Canes have resigned Julian Savea for another two years. Two fucking years!
Interesting :?