Will the Springboks turn up to the Rugby Championship this year?

All things Rugby
Ali's Choice

Will the Springboks turn up to the Rugby Championship this year?

Post by Ali's Choice »

Last year South Africa didn't bother turning up to the Rugby Championship. Although they demanded they still receive their share of the revenue. They made up some bullshit excuse about player welfare, but everyone knows he reason they didn't bother to participate is that they wouldn't have been able to access any of the NH based players, because the clubs wouldn't release them to quarantine.

But will the Springboks turn up to the Rugby Championship this year?

Overseas arrivals still need to quarantine in NZ and Australia, which means that NH based Springboks won't be able to be involved. The WR windows where clubs must release players don't allow for quarantine. The SARU has had 12 months to organise something, but I can almost guarantee they have no plan. What I can also guarantee is that they will demand their cut of revenue, despite not being involved for a 2nd straight year.
Ted.

Re: Will the Springboks turn up to the Rugby Championship this year?

Post by Ted. »

Safety reasons.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Ted. wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:04 am Safety reasons.
:lol:

It's looking increasingly likely that they may only play three tests against the Lions before the 2023 RWC.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

It can't be easy for them.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Ted. wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:41 am It can't be easy for them.
What do you mean? The SARU still get all their Rugby Championship TV revenue, despite not having to play a single game. They are guaranteed their no.1 world ranking and they can just sit around and count their money. And the Springbok players can all continue to earn mega-bucks up North without having to worry about playing any test matches. Meanwhile AB and Wallaby players are working their arses off for much less money, and a quarter of any of the money earned from the test matches they play goes straight to the SARU for doing nothing.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

It’s got to be frustrating for their fans - not getting to see the national team play but then seeing the passion Argentina showed and the results they got last year.

It wasn’t a good look pulling out at the eleventh hour.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

JB1981 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:17 am It’s got to be frustrating for their fans - not getting to see the national team play but then seeing the passion Argentina showed and the results they got last year.

Yeah. Not the best. TBF, Covid has thankfully barely touched Oz and even less so NZ. :thumbup:
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

sorCrer wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:57 am
JB1981 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:17 am It’s got to be frustrating for their fans - not getting to see the national team play but then seeing the passion Argentina showed and the results they got last year.

Yeah. Not the best. TBF, Covid has thankfully barely touched Oz and even less so NZ. :thumbup:
Hindsight is always 20/20 but it was a mistake for the Boks to pull out last year. I can't see them not playing in this years RC
towny

Post by towny »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:51 am
Ted. wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:41 am It can't be easy for them.
What do you mean? The SARU still get all their Rugby Championship TV revenue, despite not having to play a single game. They are guaranteed their no.1 world ranking and they can just sit around and count their money. And the Springbok players can all continue to earn mega-bucks up North without having to worry about playing any test matches. Meanwhile AB and Wallaby players are working their arses off for much less money, and a quarter of any of the money earned from the test matches they play goes straight to the SARU for doing nothing.
Shirley, they’re not going to get the money. Won’t the other teams just rename the comp again so it’s not the RC? Saffers don’t have a contract for the Tri-nations’ rights.

They’re not reliable - I’d replace them permanently with Fiji and instead look at them for tours. I love tours anyway.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

It's been two years hiding from rugby now...

they'll need at least 1 000 hours, won't they?
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Wimpy World Cup Champs.
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:51 pm Overseas arrivals still need to quarantine in NZ and Australia, which means that NH based Springboks won't be able to be involved.
Therefore the entire tournament should be played in SA.

Or Aus and NZ governments work out a way that 14 days of quarantine can be done at a training ground, so quarantine and pre-tournament preparation can be combined.

I'm sure the plan (even without quarantine rules) would have been to arrive at least 1 week before the opening game.

One thing is clear, that the RC desperately misses having the bokke.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Lemoentjie wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:12 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:51 pm Overseas arrivals still need to quarantine in NZ and Australia, which means that NH based Springboks won't be able to be involved.
Therefore the entire tournament should be played in SA.

Or Aus and NZ governments work out a way that 14 days of quarantine can be done at a training ground, so quarantine and pre-tournament preparation can be combined.

I'm sure the plan (even without quarantine rules) would have been to arrive at least 1 week before the opening game.

One thing is clear, that the RC desperately misses having the bokke.
How will staging the tournament in SA help? The Springboks' NH based players still won't be released because WR's player release windows aren't long enough to allow for quarantine.

It doesn't matter where the tournament is hosted, the fact is the Springboks cannot access their best players because the NH clubs will only release them in the test windows. This was why the Springboks didn't play in the RC last year and it's why the won't bother turning up this year either.

PS - I'd have thought hosting the tournament in COVID-19 free NZ or Australia would be a much safer option than playing in plague-riddled South Africa?
towny

Post by towny »

I don’t think it’s a big deal If they’re replaced by Japan or Fiji tbh. In the short term anyway, until they can work out their shit.

The idea that teams should play the entire tournament in front of no fans for the sole reason of levelling the playing field.... I guess it just demonstrates that some like to cast themselves as a victim that others need to accomodate.

Their won’t be a Lions tour and there won’t be any RC games in South Africa this year. You couldn’t rule out the idea that soon the bokke fans will soon be demanding that the 2023 RWC be played in South Africa.
Puma

Post by Puma »

Lemoentjie wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:12 pm Or Aus and NZ governments work out a way that 14 days of quarantine can be done at a training ground, so quarantine and pre-tournament preparation can be combined.
That's what Los Pumas did last year in Oz. Closed bubble between hotel and training ground during their first 14 days in Oz. Locked in their hotel rooms with meals served there, and only going out to train or for individual video / gym sessions.,
Puma

Post by Puma »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:21 pmIt doesn't matter where the tournament is hosted, the fact is the Springboks cannot access their best players because the NH clubs will only release them in the test windows.
This year, LP could find themselves in an even worse situation. Almost all of the squad, bar a few players who are in Oz already and two or three who stayed here, have emigrated to european clubs...

We could find ourselves attending with a nearly second tier squad, unless UAR are being decent administrators ( :roll: ) and -foreseeing this- managing some sort of arrangement, like not recalling the same players for the June window...
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

towny wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:22 pm I don’t think it’s a big deal If they’re replaced by Japan or Fiji tbh. In the short term anyway, until they can work out their shit.

The idea that teams should play the entire tournament in front of no fans for the sole reason of levelling the playing field.... I guess it just demonstrates that some like to cast themselves as a victim that others need to accomodate.

Their won’t be a Lions tour and there won’t be any RC games in South Africa this year. You couldn’t rule out the idea that soon the bokke fans will soon be demanding that the 2023 RWC be played in South Africa.
2023 is already in France and South Africa hasn't expressed an interest in 2027. So the soonest we could start demanding is 2031. A full 36 years since the last time one of the worlds top 3 rugby nations last got to host at home where rugby facilities are better than any other country.
towny

Post by towny »

sorCrer wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:41 pm
towny wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:22 pm I don’t think it’s a big deal If they’re replaced by Japan or Fiji tbh. In the short term anyway, until they can work out their shit.

2023 is already in France and South Africa hasn't expressed an interest in 2027. So the soonest we could start demanding is 2031. A full 36 years since the last time one of the worlds top 3 rugby nations last got to host at home where rugby facilities are better than any other country.
I’ve seen Saffers claim that the entire RC should be in South Africa. Who knows what inane demands they’ll have next?
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

towny wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:26 pm
I’ve seen Saffers claim that the entire RC should be in South Africa. Who knows what inane demands they’ll have next?
Inane demands are certainly not as bad as insane demands.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

You have?

OOI, when last were you in South Africa?
towny

Post by towny »

sorCrer wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:51 pm

You have?

OOI, when last were you in South Africa?
So lame.... it’s not worth bullying you.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

towny wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:02 pm
So lame.... it’s not worth bullying you.
:lol:
naki111

Post by naki111 »

JB1981 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:17 am It’s got to be frustrating for their fans - not getting to see the national team play
The ones I speak to don't seem to care. They seem content to sit on their number 1 ranking and laurels from two years ago. They're seemingly happy not playing rugby, as long as they're not losing.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

I never thought I would see the day when so many ANZ'ers on here are pleading for the boks to get involved in the Rugby Championships. I thought the ANZ'ers on here were happy to see the back of them and couldn't wait for the 8 annual Bledisloe matches? What's changed boets?
Farva

Post by Farva »

Clogs wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:29 am I never thought I would see the day when so many ANZ'ers on here are pleading for the boks to get involved in the Rugby Championships. I thought the ANZ'ers on here were happy to see the back of them and couldn't wait for the 8 annual Bledisloe matches? What's changed boets?
We are an empathetic group. Maybe you arent used to that with the selfishness of the SARU, but we are concerned around the financial and physical health of the SA players. We want to see them involved so that they can earn a reasonable living, noting that the cost of living is probably much much lower than in Aus / NZ and so they can probably get by on whats down the back of our couches.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Clogs wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:29 am I never thought I would see the day when so many ANZ'ers on here are pleading for the boks to get involved in the Rugby Championships. I thought the ANZ'ers on here were happy to see the back of them and couldn't wait for the 8 annual Bledisloe matches? What's changed boets?
We were always happy to see the Boks play here, just can't be bothered getting up at 3.30am to watch Egon Seconds hand another match the the Kings or the Griffins or Reichsadlers or whatever your Soup teams were called I don't even remember.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Farva wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:35 am
We are an empathetic group. Maybe you arent used to that with the selfishness of the SARU, but we are concerned around the financial and physical health of the SA players. We want to see them involved so that they can earn a reasonable living, noting that the cost of living is probably much much lower than in Aus / NZ and so they can probably get by on whats down the back of our couches.
:thumbup:

Thank you for your ongoing concern. It would be great to see them involved in the Rugby Championship. Although I am sure you like all the other ANZ'ers prefer the 6 or 8 match Bledisloe (what are we up to now?). It would be nice if the Wallabies could win more than the one dead rubber a year. When last did Australia hold the Bledisloe? Around the turn of the century if memory serves? 2001?
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Zakar wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:45 am
We were always happy to see the Boks play here, just can't be bothered getting up at 3.30am to watch Egon Seconds hand another match the the Kings or the Griffins or Reichsadlers or whatever your Soup teams were called I don't even remember.
Totally understand. You guys prefer being wide awake to watch your teams get slaughtered by the keewee sides.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Clogs wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:48 am
Zakar wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:45 am
Totally understand. You guys prefer being wide awake to watch your teams get slaughtered by the keewee sides.
Last away matches versus kiwi opposition

Brumbies v Chiefs - Win
Rebels v Highlanders - Win
Reds v Crusaders - Narrow loss
Tahs v Crusaders - Spirited loss
Force v blues - Narrow loss

Not sure that's a slaughtering.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

naki111 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:01 am
JB1981 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:17 am It’s got to be frustrating for their fans - not getting to see the national team play
The ones I speak to don't seem to care. They seem content to sit on their number 1 ranking and laurels from two years ago. They're seemingly happy not playing rugby, as long as they're not losing.
Which raises an interesting question. Is losing matches better or worse than losing respect? Argentina showed last year what a side with pride and heart can do :thumbup:.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Saffas, the fact we are chatting about you lot being a bunch of horse braying whingeing flip flopping deal breaking slimy fucktards doesn't mean we want or need you back here, stinking up the joint.

It means we are chatting about you lot being a bunch of horse braying whingeing flip flopping deal breaking slimy fucktards.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:56 am Saffas, the fact we are chatting about you lot being a bunch of horse braying whingeing flip flopping deal breaking slimy fucktards doesn't mean we want or need you back here, stinking up the joint.

It means we are chatting about you lot being a bunch of horse braying whingeing flip flopping deal breaking slimy fucktards.
on my knees pleading for the boks to return.[/end translation]
naki111

Post by naki111 »

JB1981 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:32 am
Which raises an interesting question. Is losing matches better or worse than losing respect? Argentina showed last year what a side with pride and heart can do :thumbup:.
That's the obvious example I always bring up when I hear the incessant whinging and excuses from South Africans about why they are the only serious test side who haven't played since the RWC. If no one else was playing then their crying would hold water. It's embarrassing, and they should be embarrassed but are content to point the finger rather than self reflect.

I can't be the only one who'd be very happy to see SA reduced to playing non-tests against unsanctioned sides. Perhaps an African cup of sorts with Zimbabwe and Namibia in a three team tournament. Would help to develop rugby in that part of the world and also go some way to assisting the SARU with mitigating their excessive carbon footprint.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Clogs wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:47 am

Thank you for your ongoing concern. It would be great to see them involved in the Rugby Championship. Although I am sure you like all the other ANZ'ers prefer the 6 or 8 match Bledisloe (what are we up to now?). It would be nice if the Wallabies could win more than the one dead rubber a year. When last did Australia hold the Bledisloe? Around the turn of the century if memory serves? 2001?
I believe that we last held the Bledisloe much more recently than the Springbok did.
Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:56 am Saffas, the fact we are chatting about you lot being a bunch of horse braying whingeing flip flopping deal breaking slimy fucktards doesn't mean we want or need you back here, stinking up the joint.

I don't know what this means, but I agree.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Farva wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:22 am
Clogs wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:47 am

I believe that we last held the Bledisloe much more recently than the Springbok did.
Hmm, that can't be true. Boks are world champions (and number 1 ranked team in the world). Surely they have won the Bledisloe more recently than 2001? Surely?
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

naki111 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:16 am
That's the obvious example I always bring up when I hear the incessant whinging and excuses from South Africans about why they are the only serious test side who haven't played since the RWC. If no one else was playing then their crying would hold water. It's embarrassing, and they should be embarrassed but are content to point the finger rather than self reflect.

I can't be the only one who'd be very happy to see SA reduced to playing non-tests against unsanctioned sides. Perhaps an African cup of sorts with Zimbabwe and Namibia in a three team tournament. Would help to develop rugby in that part of the world and also go some way to assisting the SARU with mitigating their excessive carbon footprint.
The ignorance is astounding.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Is that the team that used to play rugby?
From the country that used to play rugby?

That's cute.
naki111

Post by naki111 »

sorCrer wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:41 am
naki111 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:16 am

The ignorance is astounding.
Like I said, content to continue finger pointing than to self reflect boet.