Welsh Farmer has best life: I’ve had the same supper for 10 years

All things Rugby
Mog The Almighty

Welsh Farmer has best life: I’ve had the same supper for 10 years

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Experience: I’ve had the same supper for 10 years
I have two pieces of fish, an onion, an egg, baked beans and biscuits. Being a farmer means every day is the same

I have lived in the Teifi valley, in west Wales, all my life: 72 years. I’m a farmer and look after 71 sheep. My boyhood was spent helping my family on the farm. I have never wanted to run away from it, even as a young lad. This valley is cut in the shape of my heart. I once visited a farm in England, about 30 years ago; that was the only time I left Wales.

Many of the friends I grew up with left to find work in the big cities. As a young man, I was offered a job in Scotland on the oil rigs, but I could never leave. My heart belongs here with the birds and the trees. I knew, if I left, I’d be thinking about my valley the whole time, so what would be the point? All I want is right here.

I have a routine, just like nature. That extends to what I eat. I’ve had the same supper for 10 years, even on Christmas Day: two pieces of fish, one big onion, an egg, baked beans and a few biscuits at the end. For lunch I have a pear, an orange and four sandwiches with paste. But I allow myself a bit more variety; I’ll sometimes have soup if it’s cold.

When I go to the supermarket, I know exactly what I want. I’m not interested in other food. I’ve never had Chinese, Indian, French food. Why change? I’ve already found the food I love. It would be a job to alter me. My uncle, a bachelor and farmer like me, had the same food for every meal. He had bread, butter, cheese and tea for breakfast, lunch and dinner (although he would bring out the jam for visitors).

Whether it’s Easter Day or Christmas Day, being a farmer means every day is the same. The animals still need to be fed. Feeding the sheep and seeing how happy they are makes me happy, too. They never ask for anything different for supper.

People might think I’m not experiencing new things, but I think the secret to a good life is to enjoy your work. I could never stay indoors and watch TV. I hear London is a place best avoided. I think living in a city would be terrible – people living on top of one another in great tower blocks. I could never do it. Walking around the farm fills me with wonder. What makes my life is working outside, only going in if the weather is very bad.

Autumn is my favourite time of the year, with all the colours of the leaves: it’s just beautiful. Cuckoos come here every April, and I look forward to hearing them. A lot of people, locals and birdwatchers, come here wanting to hear the cuckoo, but they don’t stop long enough; sometimes they don’t even leave their cars. This makes me feel so sad that I actually cry a bit; it pains me that others don’t get to enjoy it. I urge people to get out of their cars and walk up the road to hear the birdsong.

I’ve had several strokes. Once, I didn’t move for two weeks while I was in hospital. But my sheep helped me – I knew they were relying on me to get better. I need them as much as they need me. I have recovered now and am able to do all the jobs I usually do.

I never got married, and it’s not something that I’ve ever regretted. It just didn’t happen, and I can say with confidence that I am happy as I am. I’m married to this farming life. I live with my sister. Like me, she had a stroke, but she is no longer mobile. I try to look after her as much as I can, but she needs more care than I am able to give. She has two carers who come in four times a day, and they are wonderful.

Just because I eat the same food and haven’t left the valley, it doesn’t mean that I don’t like to know what is going on in the world. I listen to a Welsh radio station every night to keep me updated. I’m always interested in local farming stories, and new developments happening in the area.

If I could go anywhere, it would be to the Great Wall of China. The amount of work that went into building it is unbelievable. I’ve been a stonemason; I understand the ingenuity involved.

If someone offered me £2m to move, I would tell them to keep it. Most evenings I walk right up to the top of the valley. I look down and everything looks small and far away. And I feel like I’m on top of the world.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... r-10-years

At first I thought this was just sad and a bit stupid.

But I've thought about it a bit more and I'm honestly not sure what to make of it anymore. Maybe the guy has a bit of a point. There's something to be said for not asking nor expecting much, and just enjoying the little things that life has to offer. This fellow may take it just a little too far, but it did make me think.

Life is not a competition to see the most things or have the most experiences. I thought that, and rushed out to see the world for "fear of missing out". I don't feel it's made me particularly happy. In fact, I realise now I've missed out on a lot of the simple pleasures offered by contented and simple life.
inactionman

Re: Welsh Farmer has best life: I’ve had the same supper for 10 years

Post by inactionman »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:32 pm
Experience: I’ve had the same supper for 10 years
I have two pieces of fish, an onion, an egg, baked beans and biscuits. Being a farmer means every day is the same

I have lived in the Teifi valley, in west Wales, all my life: 72 years. I’m a farmer and look after 71 sheep. My boyhood was spent helping my family on the farm. I have never wanted to run away from it, even as a young lad. This valley is cut in the shape of my heart. I once visited a farm in England, about 30 years ago; that was the only time I left Wales.

Many of the friends I grew up with left to find work in the big cities. As a young man, I was offered a job in Scotland on the oil rigs, but I could never leave. My heart belongs here with the birds and the trees. I knew, if I left, I’d be thinking about my valley the whole time, so what would be the point? All I want is right here.

I have a routine, just like nature. That extends to what I eat. I’ve had the same supper for 10 years, even on Christmas Day: two pieces of fish, one big onion, an egg, baked beans and a few biscuits at the end. For lunch I have a pear, an orange and four sandwiches with paste. But I allow myself a bit more variety; I’ll sometimes have soup if it’s cold.

When I go to the supermarket, I know exactly what I want. I’m not interested in other food. I’ve never had Chinese, Indian, French food. Why change? I’ve already found the food I love. It would be a job to alter me. My uncle, a bachelor and farmer like me, had the same food for every meal. He had bread, butter, cheese and tea for breakfast, lunch and dinner (although he would bring out the jam for visitors).

Whether it’s Easter Day or Christmas Day, being a farmer means every day is the same. The animals still need to be fed. Feeding the sheep and seeing how happy they are makes me happy, too. They never ask for anything different for supper.

People might think I’m not experiencing new things, but I think the secret to a good life is to enjoy your work. I could never stay indoors and watch TV. I hear London is a place best avoided. I think living in a city would be terrible – people living on top of one another in great tower blocks. I could never do it. Walking around the farm fills me with wonder. What makes my life is working outside, only going in if the weather is very bad.

Autumn is my favourite time of the year, with all the colours of the leaves: it’s just beautiful. Cuckoos come here every April, and I look forward to hearing them. A lot of people, locals and birdwatchers, come here wanting to hear the cuckoo, but they don’t stop long enough; sometimes they don’t even leave their cars. This makes me feel so sad that I actually cry a bit; it pains me that others don’t get to enjoy it. I urge people to get out of their cars and walk up the road to hear the birdsong.

I’ve had several strokes. Once, I didn’t move for two weeks while I was in hospital. But my sheep helped me – I knew they were relying on me to get better. I need them as much as they need me. I have recovered now and am able to do all the jobs I usually do.

I never got married, and it’s not something that I’ve ever regretted. It just didn’t happen, and I can say with confidence that I am happy as I am. I’m married to this farming life. I live with my sister. Like me, she had a stroke, but she is no longer mobile. I try to look after her as much as I can, but she needs more care than I am able to give. She has two carers who come in four times a day, and they are wonderful.

Just because I eat the same food and haven’t left the valley, it doesn’t mean that I don’t like to know what is going on in the world. I listen to a Welsh radio station every night to keep me updated. I’m always interested in local farming stories, and new developments happening in the area.

If I could go anywhere, it would be to the Great Wall of China. The amount of work that went into building it is unbelievable. I’ve been a stonemason; I understand the ingenuity involved.

If someone offered me £2m to move, I would tell them to keep it. Most evenings I walk right up to the top of the valley. I look down and everything looks small and far away. And I feel like I’m on top of the world.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... r-10-years

At first I thought this was just sad and a bit stupid.

But I've thought about it a bit more and I'm honestly not sure what to make of it anymore. Maybe the guy has a bit of a point. There's something to be said for not asking nor expecting much, and just enjoying the little things that life has to offer. This fellow may take it just a little too far, but it did make me think.

Life is not a competition to see the most things or have the most experiences. I thought that, and rushed out to see the world for "fear of missing out". I don't feel it's made me particularly happy. In fact, I realise now I've missed out on a lot of the simple pleasures offered by contented and simple life.
He eats a big onion for dinner FFS.
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

He’s found his happiness and who the fudge are we to sneer.
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

Guranteed he is 10x happier than most people, lucky bastard.

There is something heart-warmingly beautiful about the notion of bringing out the jam for visitors. Simple, pure and quite wonderful.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Middle aged men sneering at a chap who's happy. Well done 👏
backrow

Post by backrow »

Never married ... ...... looks after sister.......

:uhoh:
Mog The Almighty

Frodder wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:12 pm Middle aged men sneering at a chap who's happy. Well done 👏
Who is sneering? Did you even read what I wrote?
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

backrow wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:17 pm Never married ... ...... looks after sister.......

Yep, woman and family complicate everything by 10.

But, I often ask myself, am I happier than my mates in Llanelli. Nice house with pool, 2 big SUVs, good money, but not the social life I desire. They still hang out with the same friends we all grew up with, know many of the people in the town, have reasonable jobs, can afford to go watch Scarlets/Wales/Lions relatively frequently, and are happy .....
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:21 pm
Frodder wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:12 pm Middle aged men sneering at a chap who's happy. Well done 👏
Yes, did you
Mog The Almighty

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:08 pm Guranteed he is 10x happier than most people, lucky bastard.

There is something heart-warmingly beautiful about the notion of bringing out the jam for visitors. Simple, pure and quite wonderful.
I thought so too. As I get older I realise the value more and more of appreciating simple and small everyday things to their fullest.

I dont think many on their deathbed regret not buying the new BMW 20 years ago. Rather not appreciating enough the bumblebees in the garden.
Mog The Almighty

Frodder wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:23 pm
Yes, did you
Whatever. I'm not going to argue with you about what I think.
bobbity

Post by bobbity »

Few things brought me more joy last summer than hearing and seeing swifts over the garden during the long months of shielding. So much so that although I'm back at work now, I'm scanning the skies whenever possible, they should be here any day now.

The last year has altered lots of perspectives. Yes, he's a bit odd, but there are worse ways to live.
bessantj

Post by bessantj »

I’ve had several strokes. Once, I didn’t move for two weeks while I was in hospital. But my sheep helped me
State of the NHS in Wales, we can't even afford nurses.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Different partner every night though, I reckon.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

bessantj wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:38 pm
I’ve had several strokes. Once, I didn’t move for two weeks while I was in hospital. But my sheep helped me
State of the NHS in Wales, we can't even afford nurses.
Well played :lol:
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

How is the onion prepared in the evening? That’s the big question that has been left unanswered.
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

bobbity wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:33 pm Few things brought me more joy last summer than hearing and seeing swifts over the garden during the long months of shielding. So much so that although I'm back at work now, I'm scanning the skies whenever possible, they should be here any day now.

The last year has altered lots of perspectives. Yes, he's a bit odd, but there are worse ways to live.
We’ve had a stack of red kites flying around and hovering over where I live. That and sod all cars racing around, it’s been great.
puku

Post by puku »

ScarfaceClaw wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:21 pm How is the onion prepared in the evening? That’s the big question that has been left unanswered.
The onion and the baked beans...now that's a combustible combination. No wonder the lad is single.
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

If I was advising a young person what to do now, I would say get a Monday to Friday normal hours job so that you can commit to friends and community groups (social sport, Pipe bands - whatever). Also live near your family - it makes a massive difference being close to people who actually give a shit about you. It holds you accountable to your own bullshit and self pity.
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

It's the opposite of sneering. It's people questioning whether you need to live in New York in your 20s, Copenhagen in your 30s and Budapest in your 40s. All while being an app designer who invests in tech start ups.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

WUT?
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

What a legend :thumbup:
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

I started to read it and lstarted off thinking well it takes all kinds. And as I read I suppose I still thought same thing but for different reason. Yep it does take all kinds, and if he has found happiness in what he does and where he lives ,I say bloody good on you man. I would imagine he is reasonably happy with the few people he talks to or sees and doesn't see the need to frequent rugby forums etc under a false name to get attention or find someone to talk to about his passions, so none of us would seem to be in a place to criticise him really. :nod:
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

LandOTurk wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:22 pm
backrow wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:17 pm Never married ... ...... looks after sister.......

But, I often ask myself, am I happier than my mates in Llanelli. Nice house with pool, 2 big SUVs, good money, but not the social life I desire. They still hang out with the same friends we all grew up with, know many of the people in the town, have reasonable jobs, can afford to go watch Scarlets/Wales/Lions relatively frequently, and are happy .....
Life in America, in a nutshell.

My father used to talk about things like this all the time, as someone who didn't grow up here. He eventually left.
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

Dan54. wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:12 pm he doesn't see the need to frequent rugby forums etc under a false name to get attention
I've changed my mind. He's a weirdo. Probably has sex with his brother.
Last edited by Jerome Manning on Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

fonzeee wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:16 pm
LandOTurk wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:22 pm

Life in America, in a nutshell.

My father used to talk about things like this all the time, as someone who didn't grow up here. He eventually left.
I had the social life in Chicago too, but my wife wanted us to move to hotter climes. But yes I agree ...
Last edited by LandOTurk on Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Jerome Manning wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:30 pm If I was advising a young person what to do now, I would say get a Monday to Friday normal hours job so that you can commit to friends and community groups (social sport, Pipe bands - whatever). Also live near your family - it makes a massive difference being close to people who actually give a shit about you. It holds you accountable to your own bullshit and self pity.
Yeah same.

Lots of thought over lockdown, but I packed up a pretty successful company and am loving just ‘banging nails in’ for another contractor now- wish I’d done it long ago. Money is overrated.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Hope he gets to the Great Wall of China one day but the crowds might give him a heart attack.

I enjoyed the read. He's living his best life and loving it.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

He is a rare creature -- a man who has found his niche and is content.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Jerome Manning wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:37 pm
Dan54. wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:12 pm he doesn't see the need to frequent rugby forums etc under a false name to get attention
I've changed my mind. He's a weirdo. Probably has sex with his brother.
:lol:
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

He is right. Life is too short to get your knickers in a twist about things that don’t matter.

Want to check on his carbon footprint though.
Newsome

Post by Newsome »

Is the onion cooked?

Chompin' down on a whole raw onion is bit too French for my liking.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Does he watch rugby?
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Zakar wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:09 am Does he watch rugby?
No doubt.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

LandOTurk wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:13 am
No doubt.
I used to travel up to his part of the world when I was a kid when we had horses. There is a small market town called Llanybydder, and he will live close to it. Its a mart for livestock and all the farmers pour in from all around. You will struggle to hear English spoken the whole day. Its beautiful rolling hills, farms, damp weather and very communal. If you are from there, you will know literally everyone and everybody, as well as their parents and grand-parents before them.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

LandOTurk wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:18 am
No doubt.
I used to travel up to his part of the world when I was a kid when we had horses. There is a small market town called Llanybydder, and he will live close to it. Its a mart for livestock and all the farmers pour in from all around. You will struggle to hear English spoken the whole day. Its beautiful rolling hills, farms, damp weather and very communal. If you are from there, you will know literally everyone and everybody, as well as their parents and grand-parents before them.
That's nice. Sincerely, sounds lovely.

I'm glad he's not selling it as he's got the secret to life though, as by the sounds of it there are probably a few thousand people in Wales that can have a similar life.

I know farmers in Australia, depending on the crop and where they are located it can be a gut wrenching and heartbreaking endeavour.

Personally, I love variety in meals, I would be bored by day three. Good for him though. He's not found the secret to happiness, he's found the secret to his happiness.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Zakar wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:22 am
No doubt.

I'm glad he's not selling it as he's got the secret to life though, as by the sounds of it there are probably a few thousand people in Wales that can have a similar life.

I know farmers in Australia, depending on the crop and where they are located it can be a gut wrenching and heartbreaking endeavour.

Personally, I love variety in meals, I would be bored by day three. Good for him though. He's not found the secret to happiness, he's found the secret to his happiness.
Yep. The communities are highly supportive of each other, rugby, the Welsh language and culture. On the rugby front, the number of quality backs the remoter parts of Carmarthenshire produces, given its 150k population (excludes Llanelli - 50k, Where Scarlets are based) ridiculous. People like Gerald Davies, Shane Williams, Ray Gravelle, Barry John, Ieuan Evans, Mike Phillips, Dwayne Peel, Gareth Davies, Jonathan Davies (Foxy). As well as Carwyn James and Nigel Owens and a few forwards like Ken Owens and Delme Thomas. And so many more. 2013 Lions Tour to Oz had Philips and Foxy starting - both boys from Bancyfelin - population maybe 300 if that. Ludicrous.

Note: Llanelli was more Jonathan Davies (Jiffy), Phil Bennett - much fewer than the countryside.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Zakar wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:22 am
No doubt.

The guy reminds me of my Dad re his food. He never ate curry, pasta, pizza, just one Chinese meal from the takeaway - called it foreign muck. Bacon & eggs in the morning, sandwich and crisps for lunch, and Fish & Chips or a roast pretty much. Liked his beer. Never wine. The odd whisky or rum. :lol:
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

LandOTurk wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:18 am If you are from there, you will know literally everyone and everybody, as well as their parents and grand-parents before them.
The advantage with that life is that it means reputation and character are of upmost importance. We now live in a world where screwing people over in the short term has tremendous benefit - you're not going to interact with them again. To steal an idea from Naval Ravikant, so much of what we call virtue is just an optimization of long term repeated prisoners dilemma games. ie you are better off cooperating if you know that you are going to deal with that person again and again.