All things Rugby
Zakar

Re: Welsh Farmer has best life: I’ve had the same supper for 10 years

Post by Zakar »

LandOTurk wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:45 am
Zakar wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:22 am
LandOTurk wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:18 am
LandOTurk wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:13 am
Zakar wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:09 am Does he watch rugby?
No doubt.
I used to travel up to his part of the world when I was a kid when we had horses. There is a small market town called Llanybydder, and he will live close to it. Its a mart for livestock and all the farmers pour in from all around. You will struggle to hear English spoken the whole day. Its beautiful rolling hills, farms, damp weather and very communal. If you are from there, you will know literally everyone and everybody, as well as their parents and grand-parents before them.
That's nice. Sincerely, sounds lovely.

I'm glad he's not selling it as he's got the secret to life though, as by the sounds of it there are probably a few thousand people in Wales that can have a similar life.

I know farmers in Australia, depending on the crop and where they are located it can be a gut wrenching and heartbreaking endeavour.

Personally, I love variety in meals, I would be bored by day three. Good for him though. He's not found the secret to happiness, he's found the secret to his happiness.
The guy reminds me of my Dad re his food. He never ate curry, pasta, pizza, just one Chinese meal from the takeaway - called it foreign muck. Bacon & eggs in the morning, sandwich and crisps for lunch, and Fish & Chips or a roast pretty much. Liked his beer. Never wine. The odd whisky or rum. :lol:
One of my mates half brothers is a mechanic in a small town in rural NSW.

He eats the same 7 meals for dinner every week, which is the daily special at the local bowling club. He eats a sausage roll for breakfast and a pie for lunch. Hes only left the town a handful of times to go to a brothel for a few stag parties.

Always the same brothel :lol:
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

I wish I could do the same meal over and over, it must make food prep so easy. After meal 3 of the same thing I'm dry retching.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

I could easily eat pasta every day. Actually had to force myself to start variating but when I was 16-17 that was probably at least part of my dinner no fewer than 5 days a week.

Lately I've even introduced vegetables into my diet x(
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Jerome Manning wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:11 am I wish I could do the same meal over and over, it must make food prep so easy. After meal 3 of the same thing I'm dry retching.
I'm the cook in my house. I tend to make 3 or 4 meals on the weekend, then my wife puts them into portion boxes for the family to just pull out of the fridge. We have probably about 30 in there right now for the 4 kids. Will last until this weekend. I'll have about 20-25 goto meals - mash/veg/meat/sauce or spaghetti variations or several asian or curry dishes, then fish dishes or a roast or chilli in a big pot.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

fonzeee wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:15 am I could easily eat pasta every day. Actually had to force myself to start variating but when I was 16-17 that was probably at least part of my dinner no fewer than 5 days a week.

Steady on, Fonzee. Baby steps.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

MungoMan wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:34 am
fonzeee wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:15 am I could easily eat pasta every day. Actually had to force myself to start variating but when I was 16-17 that was probably at least part of my dinner no fewer than 5 days a week.

I'm trying my best. Had asparagus for the first time in my life about two weeks ago :smug:

My hand was forced when I stumbled upon some groundbreaking new research suggesting that your diet being 60% meat and the rest some combination of pasta, rice & beans, and whiskey is actually not that good for you.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

That actually reminds me, my brother definitely still has a healthy portion of rice at least 5 days a week, maybe even the full 7 more often than not. Has since childhood.

Perhaps it's not surprising that he ended up with the height and frame of a Chinese peasant.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

fonzeee wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:53 am

I'm trying my best. Had asparagus for the first time in my life about two weeks ago :smug:

My hand was forced when I stumbled upon some groundbreaking new research suggesting that your diet being 60% meat and the rest some combination of pasta, rice & beans, and whiskey is actually not that good for you.
:lol:

Still, plenty of folk have got a good 40 to 50 years out of such a diet. (The last year can be a bit shit, tho’).
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

LandOTurk wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:18 am If you are from there, you will know literally everyone and everybody, as well as their parents and grand-parents before them.
you are their parent and grandparent
Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:49 am
LandOTurk wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:18 am If you are from there, you will know literally everyone and everybody, as well as their parents and grand-parents before them.
you are their parent and grandparent
I knew a guy whos brother was also his uncle.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

I draw the line at Paste

Had enough of that as a kid
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Ted. wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:00 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:21 pm
Frodder wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:12 pm Middle aged men sneering at a chap who's happy. Well done 👏
Who is sneering? Did you even read what I wrote?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am genuinely confused but whatever.
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

fonzeee wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:53 am whiskey is actually not that good for you.
sounds like pseudoscience.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

puku wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:29 pm
ScarfaceClaw wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:21 pm How is the onion prepared in the evening? That’s the big question that has been left unanswered.
The onion and the baked beans...now that's a combustible combination. No wonder the lad is single.
No wonder he has had a few strokes more likely.
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

This thread has struck a minor chord with me.

I've been yearning to get back to nature this last year. I'm going wild camping around Barmouth this weekend and looking forward to it tremendously.

I'm also seriously thinking about giving up my corporate job and concentrating on my new business, but I don't want it to be all encompassing. I just want to live a bit of a simpler, more noble life.

Of course, when I read this back is sounds like a load of bollocks but time is ticking by so fast.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

This man has found the key to his happiness, good luck to him.

I always thought that working made me happy but in the past year, spending most of it locked down in France, I realise that I am happiest surrounded by my kids and their partners and knowing that we have raised some good people.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

DAC_ wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:33 am This thread has struck a minor chord with me.

I've been yearning to get back to nature this last year. I'm going wild camping around Barmouth this weekend and looking forward to it tremendously.

I'm also seriously thinking about giving up my corporate job and concentrating on my new business, but I don't want it to be all encompassing. I just want to live a bit of a simpler, more noble life.

Of course, when I read this back is sounds like a load of bollocks but time is ticking by so fast.
I do think being in touch with greenery is important. I moved rural in 2019. When I wake up I see a sea of green out of every window. It's a panacea for the soul in my opinion.
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:47 am
DAC_ wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:33 am This thread has struck a minor chord with me.

I do think being in touch with greenery is important. I moved rural in 2019. When I wake up I see a sea of green out of every window. It's a panacea for the soul in my opinion.
I'm dropping my wee man off at school on Thursday and then driving up to Barmouth. The thought of watching a sunrise and cooking breakfast on a stove has me stupidly excited.
penguin

Post by penguin »

Definitely true....
Spending time around trees and looking at trees reduces stress, lowers blood pressure and improves mood. Numerous studies show that both exercising in forests and simply sitting looking at trees reduce blood pressure as well as the stress-related hormones cortisol and adrenaline.
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

Seems a bit twp tbh but who isn't
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

I was happy for him... as long as he was healthy living like that.... but two strokes? And his sister bed ridden from strokes... and no one suspects the diet?
Varsity Way

Post by Varsity Way »

Grandpa wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:11 am I was happy for him... as long as he was healthy living like that.... but two strokes? And his sister bed ridden from strokes... and no one suspects the diet?
I thought the same.
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

It's weird, I don't always miss the great outdoors but the longer I go without the more I appreciate it when I get some time in the hills and on the coasts. Manged to get up into Fife as lockdown lifted last weekend, loved walking a few beaches and forests. Will be up in the east Cairngorms in a fortnight.

As an aside, In Japan sending people to a retreat in the forests is prescribed as a legitimate medical treatment. Think they're on to something there.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Varsity Way wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:13 am
Grandpa wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:11 am I was happy for him... as long as he was healthy living like that.... but two strokes? And his sister bed ridden from strokes... and no one suspects the diet?
I thought the same.
Leave the frikin onion out of it.
Mog The Almighty

I thought the same.
Yeah, variety in diet is pretty important.

Why you would eat the exact same thing for 10 years I have no idea. It seems a bizarre borderline mental thing to do.

Not begrudging the guy his happiness or simple life. In fact I admire both, and his diet seems low in both sugar and unhealthy fats, but a bit of dietary variety isn't going to kill him. Maybe the opposite.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:31 pm
I thought the same.

Why you would eat the exact same thing for 10 years I have no idea. It seems a bizarre borderline mental thing to do.

Not begrudging the guy his happiness or simple life. In fact I admire both, and his diet seems low in both sugar and unhealthy fats, but a bit of dietary variety isn't going to kill him. Maybe the opposite.
His double chin says otherwise, the fat mess.
When he & his sister is dead, those 71 sheep will be mince inside or a week. It’s fair enough having a nice simple life and content with your lot, but the ‘eating Same thing/ never travelled / looking after sister’ is just plain weirdo and not so borderline spectrum. What’s the point of putting all that worthy work in with no family of your own to pass it down to ?

An onion ffs :lol:
look_spanky

Post by look_spanky »

fonzeee wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:53 am

Yes, cut out the grains and legumes and you'll be on the path to health.
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

LandOTurk wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:36 pm
I thought the same.
I’m still intrigued as to how the onion was prepared.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

ScarfaceClaw wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:54 pm
I thought the same.
Draped in gold leaf and cocaine and eaten direct from between the heaving breasts of a buxom harlot.

It's the simple pleasures in life.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

ZappaMan wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:00 pm
ScarfaceClaw wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:54 pm
I thought the same.
Draped in clover leaf and dags and eaten direct from between the heaving shanks of a buxom ewe.

It's the simple pastures in life.
Fixed for context.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

chilli con carne
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

This fellow is probably a boardie. Anyone heard from Derwyn lately?
sewa

Post by sewa »

Onions and garlic are the key to a long healthy life if you like the booze. Grapefruit juice kills the gout too. Hic
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Zakar wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:39 pm This fellow is probably a boardie. Anyone heard from Derwyn lately?
He's from SE Wales, this is SW Wales. Gwenno is closest. Perhaps a cousin? :D
Mog The Almighty

backrow wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:46 pm
I thought the same.

When he & his sister is dead, those 71 sheep will be mince inside or a week. It’s fair enough having a nice simple life and content with your lot, but the ‘eating Same thing/ never travelled / looking after sister’ is just plain weirdo and not so borderline spectrum. What’s the point of putting all that worthy work in with no family of your own to pass it down to ?

I guess we're all searching for the meaning of life, but to me, "make babies and amass wealth to pass to them" is shall we say, "a bit old-fashioned"? I think one should find meaning in life elsewhere than having babies in an already grossly over-populated world, they're not personal achievements, they're people. Also, find meaning elsewhere than amassing wealth and possessions.

Not to begrudge anyone who has kids and loves the life. All the power to them. Just struck me as bit of a sad comment really. What's the point of worthy work if you don't have kids to pass it onto? That might be one thing. I can think of about a thousand other things.
shabadoo

Post by shabadoo »

backrow wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:46 pm
I thought the same.

Based on this post alone, you are weirder than him...
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

sewa wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:40 pm Onions and garlic are the key to a long healthy life if you like the booze. Grapefruit juice kills the gout too. Hic
I’d always suspected there was a point to having you on the bored :thumbup:
bessantj

Post by bessantj »

I get the feeling he's the type of fellow that isn't going to follow diet advice.
Rowdy

Post by Rowdy »

LandOTurk wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:13 pm
Zakar wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:39 pm This fellow is probably a boardie. Anyone heard from Derwyn lately?
He's from SE Wales, this is SW Wales. Gwenno is closest. Perhaps a cousin? :D
And uncle.
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

What about the onion.