Are food boxes value for money? (dinner)

All things Rugby
look_spanky

Are food boxes value for money? (dinner)

Post by look_spanky »

Hello fresh - $158NZ for 4 meals for "four" people. My partner is not a big eater at all and I would consider myself a fairly normal portion size eater, I'm only 73kgs, and there is often only enough left for one persons leftovers. My partner likes it because it means she doesn't have to think of dinner ideas but I think it's a farking ripoff.

Not only that but half the meals taste pretty average.
Gavin Duffy

Re: Are food boxes value for money? (dinner)

Post by Gavin Duffy »

No, of course not.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

No, if you went to the supermarket and bought the same stuff you would prolly pay half that amount. You are paying for the convenience of not having to go shopping or thinking up what your meal is going to be.

On price alone it is a ripoff.
towny

Post by towny »

How much is your time worth?
Mine isn’t worth that much that I’d pay that price.
look_spanky

Post by look_spanky »

obelixtim wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:05 pm No, if you went to the supermarket and bought the same stuff you would prolly pay half that amount. You are paying for the convenience of not having to go shopping or thinking up what your meal is going to be.

On price alone it is a ripoff.
Quite. Plus these days you can get your shopping delivered with the click of a button for $8-12. I'd be quite happy eating variations on meat and the occasional vegetable most nights but some people insist they need a different and exotic meal atleast 4 times a week :x
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

On a separate note my Tesco delivery subbed my chicken and mushroom for a pork pie. I dont buy non artisan pork pies as never found one that tastes nice. This was lush 8)
CarrotGawks

Post by CarrotGawks »

There's absolutely no money in it, so no-one will ever do it outside of a government scheme to teach kids or people in poverty to cook, but a "meal box" thing where you get your spices and your list of recipes would be great. You go off and buy your own ingredients, but the spices you need for things are already with you.

All this because half the time I read a recipe and it wants lemongrass or curry leaf or something I put the book back on the shelf and just lump a load of chili flakes into a tomato sauce.
shanky

Post by shanky »

CarrotGawks wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:41 am There's absolutely no money in it, so no-one will ever do it outside of a government scheme to teach kids or people in poverty to cook
Quite the opposite

One example (Marley Spoon) is valued at $800M on the stock market

https://www2.asx.com.au/markets/company/MMM
CarrotGawks

Post by CarrotGawks »

shanky wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:49 am
CarrotGawks wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:41 am There's absolutely no money in it, so no-one will ever do it outside of a government scheme to teach kids or people in poverty to cook
Quite the opposite

Is that delivering just spices, as I said, or the whole meal?
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

I tried Hello Fresh with a free voucher - it was ok with some nice recipes but they rely on a lot of "Pantry staples" which is a hidden cost.

Also, quite a lot of the "Fresh" Products weren't

Then the cheeky gits sent a box I hand't ordered - took a while but I did get a refund
shanky

Post by shanky »

CarrotGawks wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:51 am
Quite the opposite

whole meal

It's big business.

I'm not saying it's good business, only that it's massive
CarrotGawks

Post by CarrotGawks »

shanky wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:53 am
CarrotGawks wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:51 am
Quite the opposite

whole meal

It's big business.

I'm not saying it's good business, only that it's massive
Yeah, I was talking about "Just the spices" not the whole meal. I know well people are delivering the whole meal and doing well out of it. My take was that finding your particular style of dried chili, or two bay leaves instead of a pack of thirty you won't use for another two months would work out better.

But I was saying outside of incentivising cooking, where spices and the like are added hassle, and hidden costs, you won't find anyone providing "just the spices" as it's not profitable.
shanky

Post by shanky »

well, I'm not looking for a fight, but you kind of 100% did say that there was 'no money' in meal deliveries..
CarrotGawks

Post by CarrotGawks »

shanky wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:57 am well, I'm not looking for a fight, but you kind of 100% did say that there was 'no money' in meal deliveries..
"There's absolutely no money in it, so no-one will ever do it outside of a government scheme to teach kids or people in poverty to cook, but a "meal box" thing where you get your spices and your list of recipes would be great. You go off and buy your own ingredients, but the spices you need for things are already with you."
shanky

Post by shanky »

I think we're done here
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

The wife signed up to a free offer last year and to be honest I found it a bit meh. I cook from scratch most nights anyway so not a complete dunce in the kitchen but the recipes we received were really dumbed down to Fisher Price level. The biggest issue I had was the sheer amount of packaging (inc. lots of single use plastics) that came for one meal. Most of the ingredients I had in my cupboard anyway so it seemed a bit daft paying to have a piece of garlic or ginger shipped to me.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

look_spanky wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:57 pm Hello fresh - $158NZ for 4 meals for "four" people. My partner is not a big eater at all and I would consider myself a fairly normal portion size eater, I'm only 73kgs, and there is often only enough left for one persons leftovers. My partner likes it because it means she doesn't have to think of dinner ideas but I think it's a farking ripoff.

I’ve had a bit of experience re yr. excellent NZ supermarket chains and reckon you would come in waaaaay under your dollar figure by buying readymade stuff requiring only heating or, in the case of salads or desserts and so on, unpackaging.

So yeah, you could do as well or better - in terms of quality/enjoyableness - just by doing that.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

look_spanky wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:57 pm Hello fresh - $158NZ for 4 meals for "four" people. My partner is not a big eater at all and I would consider myself a fairly normal portion size eater, I'm only 73kgs, and there is often only enough left for one persons leftovers. My partner likes it because it means she doesn't have to think of dinner ideas but I think it's a farking ripoff.

How on earth is it $158 in NZ and less than $100 in Oz?
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

Hello Fresh are 4 meals for 4 people at £55, seems expensive to me.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

We’ve done My Food Bag in NZ a fair bit. Due to time constraints and wanting some variety, plus wife, who’s an excellent cook, finds it promotes more effort from an average cook like me to contribute.

Always quality meat and vege.
Always quality sauces and spices.
Always delivered in full.
Always leftovers one of us takes for lunch the next day.
No food wastage.
Mostly tasty, sometimes average and very occasionally wouldn’t want that again.
Could certainly look at reducing more packaging which has seen a change in the right direction after public feedback.

Works out cost neutral to us when you factor in our time plus our increased likelihood of picking up some takeaways when cooking from scratch for ourselves.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

mr bungle wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:10 am
Works out cost neutral to us when you factor in our time plus our increased likelihood of picking up some takeaways when cooking from scratch for ourselves.
Its cost benefit analysis as well - of the Lady of the House Cooke's, it will be tasty but I'll have to clean the kitchen afterwards - literally every piece of crockery, etc :?

We're having pizza tonight coincidentally as it's her turn to cook :lol:
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

shanky wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:57 am well, I'm not looking for a fight, but you kind of 100% did say that there was 'no money' in meal deliveries..
He sure did. :D

It's big bikkies in Australia and NZ. Quite a few people get it in our apartment building, even though Coles is only a 5 minute walk away (and they will deliver if you're feeling lazy).
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

The last dinner for 2 from Marcus at home was delicious. Though the Lamb fillet was rather small.

Excellent value.
shanky

Post by shanky »

bimboman wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:21 pm The last dinner for 2 from Marcus at home was delicious. Though the Lamb fillet was rather small.

Excellent value.
Is that the Morrison’s brand?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

shanky wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:24 pm
bimboman wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:21 pm The last dinner for 2 from Marcus at home was delicious. Though the Lamb fillet was rather small.

Excellent value.
Is that the Morrison’s brand?

Maybe,

beef Brioche buns, Scallops with pickled asparagus , lamb Wellington, chocolate mouse n bits.

I drank a rather decent 2008 Morey St Denis with it.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Brioche is for cunce

The rest sounds good :thumbup:
ukjim

Post by ukjim »

In answer to OPs question. no

I tried a hello fresh box trial thing, the recipes are a bit rubbish, the produce of dubious quality and if you can cook you can make much nicer meals for less.

If you are a not into cooking then they maybe of some utility.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

ukjim wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:35 pm In answer to OPs question. no

I tried a hello fresh box trial thing, the recipes are a bit rubbish, the produce of dubious quality and if you can cook you can make much nicer meals for less.

If you are a not into cooking then they maybe of some utility.
Yes I think that's their sweet spot. Battlers who are tired of spag bol every second night.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

mr bungle wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:10 am We’ve done My Food Bag in NZ a fair bit. Due to time constraints and wanting some variety, plus wife, who’s an excellent cook, finds it promotes more effort from an average cook like me to contribute.

Always quality meat and vege.
Always quality sauces and spices.
Always delivered in full.
Always leftovers one of us takes for lunch the next day.
No food wastage.
Mostly tasty, sometimes average and very occasionally wouldn’t want that again.
Could certainly look at reducing more packaging which has seen a change in the right direction after public feedback.

Pretty much the same as us.

In NZ myfoodbag is much better than HelloFresh which is very samey.