WORLD TEST CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL- New Zealand vs India, The Rose Bowl, Southampton(moved from Lords because of COVID)

All things Rugby
mr bungle

Re: WORLD TEST CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL- New Zealand vs India, The Rose Bowl, Southampton(moved from Lords because of COVID)

Post by mr bungle »

Who’s the commentator that sounds like the guy from fake taxi?
RuggaBugga

Re: WORLD TEST CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL- New Zealand vs India, The Rose Bowl, Southampton(moved from Lords because of COVID)

Post by RuggaBugga »

mr bungle wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:53 pm Who’s the commentator that sounds like the guy from fake taxi?
Atherton or Hussein.

Doull probably drives one.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

RuggaBugga wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:03 pm
mr bungle wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:53 pm Who’s the commentator that sounds like the guy from fake taxi?
Atherton or Hussein.
I know those two. Some bloke, Rob Key. I have googled him in the past, now I think about it. Rob Key that is, not Fake Taxi. I don’t recall him as a player but he only played 15 tests and 5 ODI.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Not a bad start. Let's hope they can sustain it.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Yep good start. Have to sleep bugger it, stupid timezones.

Couple of big units there for for England plus Anderson who isn't getting any younger. Have to wonder if a four pronged attack is the right call for England particularly if the crappers can bat time.

Anyway cue the collapse....
not_english

Post by not_english »

mr bungle wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:04 pm
RuggaBugga wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:03 pm
Atherton or Hussein.
I know those two. Some bloke, Rob Key. I have googled him in the past, now I think about it. Rob Key that is, not Fake Taxi. I don’t recall him as a player but he only played 15 tests and 5 ODI.
His nickname was "The Don"
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Rosco gone, never looked comfortable.

A fair bit of responsibility on Conway on debut now, but he's the man with the start.
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

good stuff young man

he will remember that
not_english

Post by not_english »

It's looking like a pretty good toss to have won today
Peteray

Post by Peteray »

Really good to see these two going along so well.
not_english

Post by not_english »

Got to make 400+ to make a game of this though
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

not_english wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:53 pm Got to make 400+ to make a game of this though

Nah, anything over 350 and you’re guaranteed a draw minimum.

New ball now, but first one flies to the ropes.
Peteray

Post by Peteray »

... and that female commentator (I didn't catch her name... too busy ogling) is hot!
not_english

Post by not_english »

This scoring rate is a return to the old days of test cricket.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

not_english wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:13 pm This scoring rate is a return to the old days of test cricket.

It’s great test cricket, green pitch, and for large parts of the day the bowlers have been on top. Have to applaud the batting concentration, barely a real chance given away and even the two bowled where played on.
not_english

Post by not_english »

Yep, I am enjoying it. Proper test cricket.
Don't get to see NZ play much these days, so it should be a good month.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

not_english wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:23 pm Yep, I am enjoying it. Proper test cricket.
Don't get to see NZ play much these days, so it should be a good month.

Well this is the team to watch as well. They’ve been superb today. Very impressed with the adaption and soft handed batting.
Peteray

Post by Peteray »

Maybe England should have played Leach? Their attack has looked very 'same-ish' today.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Peteray wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:28 pm Maybe England should have played Leach? Their attack has looked very 'same-ish' today.

I reckon you’re right and with Root bowling before tea so does he.
not_english

Post by not_english »

I don't think they pick a spinner at Lords that often
Peteray

Post by Peteray »

A day where the honors definitely belong to the Black Caps, with (obviously) Conway the star, but good knocks from Latham and Nichols. The English bowlers did well not give give up late runs as they looked very tired. Tomorrow is another day, but who would bet against more heroics from the pair at the wicket? Looking forward to it.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

bimboman wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:19 pm
not_english wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:13 pm This scoring rate is a return to the old days of test cricket.

It’s great test cricket, green pitch, and for large parts of the day the bowlers have been on top. Have to applaud the batting concentration, barely a real chance given away and even the two bowled where played on.
Agree. I think both sides are under-done, the Crappers moreso as they haven't even had any cricket for a couple of months, so a RR of 2.5 is not a surprise.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

A century at Lords on test debut, what an achievement.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

There is something exhilarating about the surprise of waking up to news of a solid Blackcaps performance.
vh5150

Post by vh5150 »

Looks like a batter heavy team in this warm up. Bowlers will
Lack penetration to bowl England out twice I think. Likely field a bowler heavy team in the 2nd warm up test.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

vh5150 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:13 pm Looks like a batter heavy team in this warm up. Bowlers will
Lack penetration to bowl England out twice I think. Likely field a bowler heavy team in the 2nd warm up test.
Not sure where you get that thought from, NZ has 4 seamers and a spinner, same as we do most test matches. 3 of them in the ICC top 20 test bowlers as well.

Lineup won't change much in the 2nd test I would say, heard today that Boult won't play until the ICC final.
Last edited by JPNZ on Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

I lasted till tea with Conway batting well and was delighted on waking to see he had scored a ton on debut. Today we need to consolidate to give us a big first innings.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

I must admit I've missed the majority of Kane Williamson's career. I didn't realise he was so good.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Gee Conway looks born for test cricket.

You don't get many sterner tests than opening on debut at Lords against Broad and Anderson, and he passed with flying colours.

Need to really ram home the advantage now. The platform is there.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

There is a platform there but not a strong one yet - I more wicket yesterday and it would have been honours even.

However, if we can get to 450 and then have at them for an hour, it could be interesting.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

mrbrownstone wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:08 am Gee Conway looks born for test cricket.

You don't get many sterner tests than opening on debut at Lords against Broad and Anderson, and he passed with flying colours.

Need to really ram home the advantage now. The platform is there.
They both seem to have found an extra 10kph in speed too.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

From a dream debut to the other end of the spectrum. Not a great look for Ollie Robinson:
The tweets, sent between April 2012 and June 2013, included use of the 'N' word, comments suggesting Muslim people were linked with terrorism, and derogatory comments about women and people of Asian heritage. Robinson was aged 18 and 19 at the time, and representing either Leicestershire, Kent and Yorkshire in second-team cricket.
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

You'd think that international teams need to have someone check the social media of all incoming players and get the offensive stuff wiped wherever possible.

I know if I stay up to watch tonight we'll be all out for 260 and England will end the day on 300/2. But I really want to watch this, we should get runs as we bat deep, and we have Wagner to deal with the issue if a flat pitch
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Anyone watching this on Spark sports, the graphics are wrong half the time, when Conway is facing they have the * against Nicholls and so on
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

They call him Dutch, but he’s a Zimbo, go on Colin, just hope his hair doesn’t get in the way, bloody muppet, sorry mullet
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Feck !!!!
not_english

Post by not_english »

This is more like the black craps we all remember
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Yep, shitting the bed and stinking up the place with their batting. :nod:

Is Santner really a good enough batsman not to take a genuine spinner into a test?