WORLD TEST CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL- New Zealand vs India, The Rose Bowl, Southampton(moved from Lords because of COVID)

All things Rugby
jdogscoop

Re: WORLD TEST CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL- New Zealand vs India, The Rose Bowl, Southampton(moved from Lords because of COVID)

Post by jdogscoop »

I noted on Twatter a few megafans who were dead keen on staying up all night on Wednesday to watch day 1 of the test before going to work on Thursday.

That is next level, when you consider this kind of shit can easily happen in England (or indeed in NZ, and to a lesser extent here) within a day or two.
Monkey Magic

Re: WORLD TEST CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL- New Zealand vs India, The Rose Bowl, Southampton(moved from Lords because of COVID)

Post by Monkey Magic »

Enzedder wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:54 pm
Monkey Magic wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:21 am The threat of me staying up to watch was enough to cause a traditional collapse. Planning to stay up tonight, so if you're an England fan tune in for Root to score 300.

For those who watched, was Santner effective even as a holding bowler even if nit threatening?
Yeah, well done mate.

I just got up to watch the last session. :x
I'm having a shocking season for this
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

A shame that day 3 got rained out, I was looking forward to seeing how the match was going to progress.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Losing a whole day plus 14 overs from slow over rates makes a result pretty unlikely you'd think.
not_english

Post by not_english »

It is fine and sunny today. Bit of a shame, would have liked to see NZ bowling with yesterday's cloud cover.
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

So talk of up and down bounce making a result possible, is that reality or commentators trying to keep viewers?

In saying that, both sides are notorious for batting collapses so a result isn't out of the question
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Wicket first ball. I'm used to being on the other side of that result.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Tehui wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:07 am Wicket first ball. I'm used to being on the other side of that result.
It was an absolute peach of a ball.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

That was a great ball first up by Jamieson.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

We get a review right and Pope is gone, dead square lbw to Southee. You've got to wonder why the umpire did not give it out from the start.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

An absolutely stupid shot by Lawrence, flicking his bat at a wide-ish delivery straight to the Big Man
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

England lost 3 wickets for 0 runs in under four overs there.
trapper

Post by trapper »

Just checked the scores, we are on top! Southee with a magic spell by the look of it!
Rowdy

Post by Rowdy »

So is this good bowling conditions, great bowling or just England being shithouse again?
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Great morning. Realistically, we have to knock them over this session, bat fast after tea, and give ourselves a day.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

trapper wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:54 pm Just checked the scores, we are on top! Southee with a magic spell by the look of it!
Two excellent balls to dismiss Pope and Bracey, with Lawrence flicking his bat at a wide ball.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Well deserved 5fa for Southee.

He's been so good in tests the last few years. Often unfairly maligned for his white ball form.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

mrbrownstone wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:44 pm Well deserved 5fa for Southee.

He's been so good in tests the last few years. Often unfairly maligned for his white ball form.
He has bowled really well today
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

I think a draw is favourite now. NZ needed to be batting by now to have a chance. 300 lead. Get England batting again tonight.

But that looks unlikely now.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Grandpa wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:48 pm

I think a draw is favourite now. NZ needed to be batting by now to have a chance. 300 lead. Get England batting again tonight.

Yes, very annoying partnership this. Burns looking good.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

mrbrownstone wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:53 pm

Got to say passive captaincy. No pressure on Anderson at all.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Grandpa wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:56 pm

Yup, just meandering along. Needed a 150+ lead I reckon to have a half chance.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Finally. In isolation, 100 run first innings lead is good, but should have been 150+.

Interesting to see how they play the last session. About 37 overs left today. Probably bat to lunch tomorrow and have a dig and hope you can run through them.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

mrbrownstone wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:07 pm
Grandpa wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:56 pm

Yup, just meandering along. Needed a 150+ lead I reckon to have a half chance.
I'll forgive Kane if he hits a quick 100 from 50 balls... 😄
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

Yeah bat until lunch and then hopefully run through them.
not_english

Post by not_english »

Having seen off the new ball NZ need to look to score more quickly now
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Damn - it was a nothing shot to a nothing ball but Conway has gone. Gotta love cricket
not_english

Post by not_english »

Wood running on the pitch is in nzs interest really
not_english

Post by not_english »

Couple of good opening partnerships for nz in this game. So much better than 5-1
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Could someone tell our Ollie that it wasn't the Kiwis that got shitty at him re those Twatter posts. He's bowling like he posts - with a fair bit of aggression
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Our new Nazi is a fair bowler.

Conway was all at sea.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

62/2 at 2 runs per over - too slow but a great bowling effort from England.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

So what's the plan tomorrow? I reckon throw the kitchen sink at it and try for a quick 80-100 then have a crack just before lunch say 4 overs.

Have to go for a result here, so need a sporting declaration. Already in tje test championship so would rather see them go for a result and lose then bat for a safe draw.

280ish in two sessions will make for a cracking finish.
vh5150

Post by vh5150 »

Kiwis ahead after the edge day 4. Runs on the board entering a day 5 pitch is worth gold. Crappers just need 1 partnership. Ideally pull after 35 - 40 overs batting tomorrow and leave Eng 50-60 overs to get 275-300. If the Poms run through the Crappersand have to chase 220 they have a fair chance, provided Root scores big.
Last edited by vh5150 on Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Why would NZ even consider giving England any chance of victory? This is test cricket, and an away test match draw is worth plenty. Almost as much as a home win in my books. I hope NZ bat for as long as the possibly can, all day if possible, and deny England even a sniff of a win. F**k England.
brat

Post by brat »

Mick Mannock wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:51 pm Our new Nazi is a fair bowler.

Conway was all at sea.
That’s hasn’t happened much in this game

Despite his heroics in the first innings still think he shouldn’t be opening long term

Burns very lucky to be there -Nz really shouldve wrapped this up about 200 ish
vh5150

Post by vh5150 »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:21 pm Why would NZ even consider giving England any chance of victory? This is test cricket, and an away test match draw is worth plenty. Almost as much as a home win in my books. I hope NZ bat for as long as the possibly can, all day if possible, and deny England even a sniff of a win. F**k England.
Certainly an option and would be good to keep the tired old legs of Broad and Anderson in the field for as long as possible. But overseas victories are hard to come by against the “big 3” and I’d love to see the Crappers push for a rare victory at the home of cricket. I’d also like to see England be the team that need to close up shop to avoid defeat.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Use the last day as batting practice for the WTC final and let the bowlers put their feet up.

Rain plus poor over rates did away with any chance of a result.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:21 pm Why would NZ even consider giving England any chance of victory? This is test cricket, and an away test match draw is worth plenty. Almost as much as a home win in my books. I hope NZ bat for as long as the possibly can, all day if possible, and deny England even a sniff of a win. F**k England.
NZ hardly ever beat England in England... once in thirty years?

I can't imagine the All Blacks playing for a draw... :lol:

What would McCullum do...