WORLD TEST CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL- New Zealand vs India, The Rose Bowl, Southampton(moved from Lords because of COVID)

All things Rugby
brat

Re: WORLD TEST CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL- New Zealand vs India, The Rose Bowl, Southampton(moved from Lords because of COVID)

Post by brat »

Tehui wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:56 am
brat wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:27 am We could actually win this -pending weather and a potential bc classic collapse

I’m a bit concerned going foward though,that we are relying on Conway too much -even in these early days of his test career

Both kane and Taylor look out of touch - Taylor is very lucky to be still at the crease today

Whereas Conway is in superb form -but he could be potentially wasted opening facing the new ball..if he fails vs India then our ‘first’ batting lineup looks shakey

A lot of pressure on our saffa import
People say the same thing when either Williamson, Taylor or Latham are in good form though. I could be seeing NZ's best 1-4 batsmen combination that I've seen in my lifetime. I'll reserve my judgment until I see how the next 12-24 months goes though.
The problem is theres been no top 4 consistency in overseas conditions recently

Latham and Taylor have had the odd big score but kanes form out of NZ recently has been abysmal with failures in SL Australia and now England

We need Kane firing otherwise our batting line up gets Shakey.. especially when your in form batsman is an opener and subject to the new ball attack..too much pressure -especially for a new comer

I think Taylor will go soon after the WTC so hopefully Conway can slide back to 4 and put young in as opener long term

Latham
Young
Kane
Conway ..that would be a very good top 4 going foward
brat

Re: WORLD TEST CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL- New Zealand vs India, The Rose Bowl, Southampton(moved from Lords because of COVID)

Post by brat »

Kiwias wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:00 am
brat wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:27 am We could actually win this -pending weather and a potential bc classic collapse

I’m a bit concerned going foward though,that we are relying on Conway too much -even in these early days of his test career

Both kane and Taylor look out of touch - Taylor is very lucky to be still at the crease today

Whereas Conway is in superb form -but he could be potentially wasted opening facing the new ball..if he fails vs India then our ‘first’ batting lineup looks shakey

To be remembered when Kane and Ross put up the match-winning partnership in the WTC final.
I will be extremely happy if that happens
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

England incensed by lucky break for Black Caps star Devon Conway in catch controversy

England were left fuming over a controversial no-catch ruling which may have given the Black Caps a gilt-edged shot at a test series victory.

New Zealand opener Devon Conway was ruled not out when on 22 during his innings on day two of the second test at Edgbaston overnight (NZ time), when the hosts were convinced they had dismissed the standout player of the series to date.
Incensed, are they? Try losing a CWC to an umpiring cock-up.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/b ... ontroversy
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

I have just seen the Conway “catch”. That looked to hit the ground pretty clearly for me.
vh5150

Post by vh5150 »

I agree the photo clearly shows the ball touching the ground. There may have been fingers touching the ball but nothing underneath. The rules of the game are very clear. NOT OUT. Good decision.

Let’s be honest Stuart Broad would claim anything. He once cut a ball straight 1st slip in an Ashes test and stood his ground after a appalling not out decision. Broad would claim you tax return if he could.

I expect him to reprimanded for his on field outburst.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

How is Chris Broad match referee for this game? I guess it has happened before but seems strange having the father of a player in that position. I wonder what he made of his son’s reaction and whether he’ll fine him?
brat

Post by brat »

Its lucky the umpire gave the soft signal not out otherwise we might have had a different decision even with the still shots
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

JB1981 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:24 am I have just seen the Conway “catch”. That looked to hit the ground pretty clearly for me.
There was no doubt about it: clearly hit the ground
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Shame to lose Young in the last over, but still a very strong position.

Hopefully Rosco can push on and find some form tomorrow, he looked better the more time he spent in the middle.

Young's good form may cause a few selection headaches.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

brat wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:02 am

People say the same thing when either Williamson, Taylor or Latham are in good form though. I could be seeing NZ's best 1-4 batsmen combination that I've seen in my lifetime. I'll reserve my judgment until I see how the next 12-24 months goes though.

Latham and Taylor have had the odd big score but kanes form out of NZ recently has been abysmal with failures in SL Australia and now England

We need Kane firing otherwise our batting line up gets Shakey.. especially when your in form batsman is an opener and subject to the new ball attack..too much pressure -especially for a new comer

I think Taylor will go soon after the WTC so hopefully Conway can slide back to 4 and put young in as opener long term

Latham
Young
Kane
I cede to you on this as you know more about the current players than I do. I'd like to think Taylor has a few more years left in him, but father time is undefeated.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

The NZ batsmen are collecting quite a few singles now, which is a positive sign for them.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

England keeper having a tough day
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Taylor flashes hard and edges it to the keeper, gone for 80
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

It’s clearly a hard pitch to play on around the 80 mark. That’s three that have fallen victim now.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

JB1981 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:19 pm It’s clearly a hard pitch to play on around the 80 mark. That’s three that have fallen victim now.
Four. Lawrence, Burns, Conway, and Taylor. At least the curse is evenly handed.
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

You forgot Young ;)
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Wignu wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:29 pm You forgot Young ;)
:blush: :blush:
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Five in the 80s and we aren’t halfway through. We need Francis Payne to tell us whether that has happened before.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

According to cricinfo
"Stats alert: only the second Test match in history to have five batters dismissed in the 80s (after Australia vs South Africa in 1964). One other match had five scores in the 80s (England vs Australia in 1968) although D'Oliveira was unbeaten in England's second innings
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

Love Holding's response to Nassar's question about what he'd do if a batsman charged him lol.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Wignu wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:49 pm Love Holding's response to Nassar's question about what he'd do if a batsman charged him lol.
I missed it — putting the dogs out. What did he say?
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

Kiwias wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:53 pm
Wignu wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:49 pm Love Holding's response to Nassar's question about what he'd do if a batsman charged him lol.
They wouldn't be getting anything to drive lol ... in his dry voice ;)
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Wignu wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:00 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: :nod:
Peteray

Post by Peteray »

It's a shame "Harvey' Nicholls missed out, as he would have been the ideal man to stabilize the late order 'dash for cash." It now falls to one of these two... fingers crossed.
Peteray

Post by Peteray »

EXCELLENT! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Superb
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Kiwias wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:13 am
JB1981 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:24 am I have just seen the Conway “catch”. That looked to hit the ground pretty clearly for me.
It was about 3 foot off the ground you one eyed kiwi cunt
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Missed opportunity this. We could have batted England in out of the game from the position we were in. Still a decent lead, but should have been more.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

That makes the lead look a lot better.

Chasing the wide ones, story of England's batting so far.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:33 pm
Kiwias wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:13 am
It was about 3 foot off the ground you one eyed kiwi cunt
Not any where your normal. :lol:
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

Hopefully this is Henry's test match coming of age. He's a better bowler than his stats suggest.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Young and Henry are putting their hands up so far. Wonder if anyone in the 'First XI' feels a little nervous?
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

mrbrownstone wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:23 pm Young and Henry are putting their hands up so far. Wonder if anyone in the 'First XI' feels a little nervous?
Very plucky performance by the second stringers.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Ajaz does for Bracey - 71 for 6
BBB

Post by BBB »

I keep thinking I’ll go to bed once we stop getting wickets...
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Excellent from Patel, Root gone.
BBB

Post by BBB »

Was originally hoping for a target of less than 200.
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

brat wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:02 am

Latham
Young
Kane
Young seems less naturally suited to opening than Conway. I'd leave Conway opening and have Young bat at 4