16. Bradley Slater (21)
17. Ollie Norris (11)
18. Sione Mafileo (5)
19. Naitoa Ah Kuoi (19)
20. Zane Kapeli (1)
21. Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi (45)
22. Rameka Poihipi (2)
23. Chase Tiatia (5)

Last edited by Ali's Choice on Thu May 06, 2021 9:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ali's Choice

Re: SR Aotearoa Final: Crusaders vs Chiefs: MATCH THREAD: Sat 8th May

Post by Ali's Choice »

Still no kick-off details for this match. I hope it's a day game.

The Chiefs are the form team in the comp and are trying for their first title since 2013. The Crusaders are attempting a 5th straight title.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

It's a shame we have to sit through two dead rubbers before getting to the main course. Cannot wait for this. Have we ever beaten the Chiefs in a knock-out fixture? My enduring memory of the Rennie era is loss after agonising loss to the Chiefs, and it is long past time to avenge that.

Still, I worry that despite the flattering scoreline, yesterday's win might have papered over a few cracks. Our scrum was very wobbly for much of the game. More importantly, our breakdown was abysmal. I looked back through all the stats, and that was the worst breakdown performance not only by the Crusaders, but by any team in SRA this season. We won just 89% of our rucks - the only time a team has dipped below 90% all season. It probably would have been worse if McDonald hadn't made the strange decision to take Gibson off so early.

We were easily unlocked by dual-opensides. Boshier and Brown had a field day last time, and it wouldn't even surprise me if McMillan was paying close attention and copies that tactic and selects Karpik and Boshier to wreak havoc.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

mrbrownstone wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:36 am It's a shame we have to sit through two dead rubbers before getting to the main course. Cannot wait for this. Have we ever beaten the Chiefs in a knock-out fixture? My enduring memory of the Rennie era is loss after agonising loss to the Chiefs, and it is long past time to avenge that.

Still, I worry that despite the flattering scoreline, yesterday's win might have papered over a few cracks. Our scrum was very wobbly for much of the game. More importantly, our breakdown was abysmal. I looked back through all the stats, and that was the worst breakdown performance not only by the Crusaders, but by any team in SRA this season. We won just 89% of our rucks - the only time a team has dipped below 90% all season. It probably would have been worse if McDonald hadn't made the strange decision to take Gibson off so early.

We were easily unlocked by dual-opensides. Boshier and Brown had a field day last time, and it wouldn't even surprise me if McMillan was paying close attention and copies that tactic and selects Karpik and Boshier to wreak havoc.
I was watching the breakdown and thought Tulitui was improved. Blackadder toiled hard too but I thought Grace was really quiet. Definitely an area of the game they came second.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Congrats Crusaders
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

jdogscoop wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:40 am
mrbrownstone wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:36 am It's a shame we have to sit through two dead rubbers before getting to the main course. Cannot wait for this. Have we ever beaten the Chiefs in a knock-out fixture? My enduring memory of the Rennie era is loss after agonising loss to the Chiefs, and it is long past time to avenge that.

I was watching the breakdown and thought Tulitui was improved. Blackadder toiled hard too but I thought Grace was really quiet. Definitely an area of the game they came second.
I thought Sanders was better in the previous game and would not be surprised to see him at 7 in the starting XV.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:04 am Congrats Crusaders
For making the final? Thanks mate. Not sure if we can beat the form team in the comp, but we'll hopefully give it a good crack. I don't see how we can win a single breakdown against Boshier and Jacobson. We'll either need to kick the ball on the first phase or concede a turnover.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:06 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:04 am Congrats Crusaders
For making the final? Thanks mate. Not sure if we can beat the form team in the comp, but we'll hopefully give it a good crack. I don't see how we can win a single breakdown against Boshier and Jacobson. We'll either need to kick the ball on the first phase or concede a turnover.
I’m sure you win some breakdowns via the usual cheating means.
It how you play and how Robertson coaches the team (a fact well observed by Tony Brown in game 1 of SRA).

As the Saders have got less skilful talent wise the number of penalties per game have gone up.....
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

And Razor hopeful that Ennor back for final , I hope so but mainly thinking of seeing him start to build for ABs.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

I hope that we can rest all of our key players this coming weekend. Crusaders will be well rested so we may as well be also.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Joe Moody out for up to 5 months. Not ideal.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

mrbrownstone wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:41 am Joe Moody out for up to 5 months. Not ideal.
No, not idea at all.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Dan54. wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:16 am And Razor hopeful that Ennor back for final , I hope so but mainly thinking of seeing him start to build for ABs.
Would be great to have him back on deck, but surely bench only. Don't think you could risk starting him.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

I wonder in hindsight if NZR should have opted for a top 4 like RA did with Super Rugby AU? It will be embarrassing for NZR if the Chiefs field a B team this week against the Blues in-front of a big Eden Park crowd.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:06 am I wonder in hindsight if NZR should have opted for a top 4 like RA did with Super Rugby AU? It will be embarrassing for NZR if the Chiefs field a B team this week against the Blues in-front of a big Eden Park crowd.
RA's is a top 3. Reds are in and the Brumbies play the Force at home in a playoff for the other spot.

A pretty good system for a five team field.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

jdogscoop wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:16 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:06 am I wonder in hindsight if NZR should have opted for a top 4 like RA did with Super Rugby AU? It will be embarrassing for NZR if the Chiefs field a B team this week against the Blues in-front of a big Eden Park crowd.
RA's is a top 3. Reds are in and the Brumbies play the Force at home in a playoff for the other spot.

Yeah I'd prefer that system. Not much of a reward for the Crusaders for finishing 1st.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

mrbrownstone wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:41 am Joe Moody out for up to 5 months. Not ideal.
:( :( :(
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

think it's f***en rubbish to be honest, you have over half you team in finals FFS. That is 2 teams miss out on finals. I much rather have aonly 2 teams in finals in 5 team comp.
Does anyone else think that maybe this week McMillan should put DMac on bench, let him freshen up a bit before final?
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

As long as the bench is at Beaver's bar - yep.
deverix

Post by deverix »

Enzedder wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:31 am I hope that we can rest all of our key players this coming weekend. Crusaders will be well rested so we may as well be also.
Nope, I'm worried the bye will once again be a massive disadvantage. The Chiefs will have momentum after playing the week before & once again.. the Crusaders will have their momentum stalled by another ridiculous bye week.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

My view from other thread...
kiwigreg369 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:24 am
Enzedder wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:18 pm
kiwigreg369 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:16 pm Should not play dev by any means but need to blend more players:
- Karpik to start
- Trask at 10
- Tiatia at 15
- DMAC as sub
- a back up lock to start

I was hoping Tupaia (sp) was back & Jacobson - ideally to start.
Sadists have a bye and can rest their players. We have qualified for the final so why risk injuries to our key players.
To be honest there are pros and cons either way.
We’re not playing that well that everyone is in form - I’d say far from it. We’re scrapping games - which better than losing ...

some players need game time / some players need to feel the heat of someone else playing better / some players need a break.
deverix

Post by deverix »

Razor's Crusaders beat Rennie's Chiefs 27–13 (4 tries to 1) in the 2017 Semi-Final.

FYI, Robertson never lost a game to Rennie's Chiefs.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

It must be very tempting for McMillan to rest a number of his stars. Players such as Damien McKenzie, ALB, Weber, Boshier, Vaa'i, Ah Koui and Jacobson. But such a move would not be free from risk. McMillan would risk his team losing all the momentum they have built up over the past 6 weeks. Moreover, when teams get dominated that's when players tend to get injured. Especially against big, physical teams like the Blues. McMillan cannot rest everyone, and he risks losing players to injury if he plays a weakened team. Unless they play the U20's?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

The Chiefs have been the form team over the past 6 weeks. But the next fortnight is really going to test their mettle and inner-strength. It's one thing playing well with nothing to lose, it's quite another thing playing in a final with a lot to lose. I'm not sure how many of this Chiefs team have won SR titles, but it wouldn't be many. They need to navigate the Blues first, but they'll all be thinking about the final.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Saders have lost more finals games than any other SupeRugby team - hasn’t done them any harm.

So for me losing wouldn’t be terrible give that we were 0-11 earlier in the season. Even if we do win the next two games we’re 8-11. Not even half our most recent matches - hardly an outstanding team.

Suspect we’ll lose to the Saders but my hope is that it helps build a strongly competitive team for the next 2-3 years.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Kickoff time confirmed, 7.05pm local time.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:34 am Kickoff time confirmed, 7.05pm local time.
Damned shame it won't be a day game.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Kiwias wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:38 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:34 am Kickoff time confirmed, 7.05pm local time.
Damned shame it won't be a day game.
I guess it's about maximising TV viewers and not wanting to clash with club Rugby.
les@mooloolaba

Post by les@mooloolaba »

Dan54. wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:10 am

think it's f***en rubbish to be honest, you have over half you team in finals FFS. That is 2 teams miss out on finals. I much rather have aonly 2 teams in finals in 5 team comp.
Does anyone else think that maybe this week McMillan should put DMac on bench, let him freshen up a bit before final?
No
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Really looking forward to this match. Without getting to far ahead of ourselves with that kickoff time announced be weary of May Christchurch weather. The last couple of weeks has seen a distinct change in weather across New Zealand.

Kick off will be deep into the single digit temps and dew/rain may be commonplace.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Enzedder wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:31 am I hope that we can rest all of our key players this coming weekend. Crusaders will be well rested so we may as well be also.
It does seem a shame playing two meaningless games this weekend when the two finalists have already been decided. However it's risky sending a B team. Remember when the Waratahs sent a B team to Canterbury as they wanted to focus on the semi final the following week and the Crusaders almost put a ton on them. Destroyed their confidence and they lost to the Brumbies the following week.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

booji boy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:05 pm
It does seem a shame playing two meaningless games this weekend when the two finalists have already been decided. However it's risky sending a B team. Remember when the Waratahs sent a B team to Canterbury as they wanted to focus on the semi final the following week and the Crusaders almost put a ton on them. Destroyed their confidence and they lost to the Brumbies the following week.
Seems once again like the TAB has some inside info before the teams have even been named..

Blues $1.25 v Chiefs $3.65

Oh and the TAB has already opened odds on the final (cheeky)

Crusaders $1.27 v Cheifs $3.55
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

JPNZ wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:16 pm Really looking forward to this match. Without getting to far ahead of ourselves with that kickoff time announced be weary of May Christchurch weather. The last couple of weeks has seen a distinct change in weather across New Zealand.

Kick off will be deep into the single digit temps and dew/rain may be commonplace.
It could always be worse.

kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

JPNZ wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:59 pm
booji boy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:05 pm
Seems once again like the TAB has some inside info before the teams have even been named..

Blues $1.25 v Chiefs $3.65

Oh and the TAB has already opened odds on the final (cheeky)

Crusaders $1.27 v Cheifs $3.55
Not sure about the Blues $$ but the Saders vsChiefs looks about right .

Do they quote a margin? assume it’s 12-14.
At home vs the Chiefs my guess is Saders with 4 times out of 5.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:51 am

Yeah they must have word already that the chiefs will rest players for this weeks game. They were correct last year before teams were named too.

Margin (points start/Handicap) for the final is 9.5 points.

Also in Chiefs team news:
The Chiefs have handed veteran Liam Messam a shock call-up to their squad, with injuries decimating the loose forward stocks of the Super Rugby Aotearoa finalists.

Already of course without All Blacks captain Sam Cane, the franchise on Tuesday announced that not one, not two, but three others – Kaylum Boshier, Mitchell Karpik and Simon Parker – would all be wiped out of any more involvement with the team this year.

That has seen Messam, the most-capped Chief of all-time, with 179 games between 2006 and 2018, and Taranaki’s Tom Florence brought in ahead of the team’s final-round match against the Blues at Eden Park on Saturday night.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

JPNZ wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:54 am

Yeah they must have word already that the chiefs will rest players for this weeks game. They were correct last year before teams were named too.

The Chiefs have handed veteran Liam Messam a shock call-up to their squad, with injuries decimating the loose forward stocks of the Super Rugby Aotearoa finalists.

Already of course without All Blacks captain Sam Cane, the franchise on Tuesday announced that not one, not two, but three others – Kaylum Boshier, Mitchell Karpik and Simon Parker – would all be wiped out of any more involvement with the team this year.

That has seen Messam, the most-capped Chief of all-time, with 179 games between 2006 and 2018, and Taranaki’s Tom Florence brought in ahead of the team’s final-round match against the Blues at Eden Park on Saturday night.
That's is a blow for the Chiefs. I was wondering if they'd copy the Blues gameplan and select dual opensides in L Boshier and Karpik.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

mrbrownstone wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:29 am
JPNZ wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:54 am

That's is a blow for the Chiefs. I was wondering if they'd copy the Blues gameplan and select dual opensides in L Boshier and Karpik.
Seriously bad luck for the Chiefs to lose Boshier and Karpik.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Last second win to the Chiefs from a DMac drop goal.

It's the way of the season. You know it to be true. :D
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Not now with Messam there.

Chiefs drop a haka before kick off - led by Messam - who warms up carrying water for 78 minutes before coming on, driving off the back of a ruck, over the top of an infringing ScoBa, and securing the win with the try.

Hey Theo....
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

How come the Chiefs can find a RWC winning All Black to cover for injury at this late stage of the tournament. That's just ridiculous. Was he named in their original squad? I find it impossible to believe that the Chiefs had money sitting around for Liam Messam at this late stage of the season.