OFFICIAL Super Rugby AU Grand Final! Reds v. Brumbies

All things Rugby
towny

Re: OFFICIAL Super Rugby AU Grand Final! Reds v. Brumbies

Post by towny »

Dan54. wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:47 pm
grievous wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:42 am
Dan54. wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:18 am Ok, I just can't see a 5 team comp lasting. I know it's been great, for a short term thing, and many I spoken to here in NZ have loved the Super Ao, but I haven't spoken to many that see it as anything but temporary.
And as I said if Leap Frog Marinos is the only one who decides what comps you in, your board is f***ed big time!
I dont think fans would get bored at all, they will get bored of flogging by NZ teams if we fall back into that zone.
Anyway, its cut, sad.
Marinos is there to make decisions hes the CEO, with governance from the Chairman and board.
See there's the difference between you and I, buggered if I know why so many of you Aussies are so negative, I honestly think your teams will be bloody competitive. You fellas have stop playing the hard done by victims!
I agree. The talent coming through our ranks is really exciting and I don’t reckon we need to play in a sheltered garden in order to be successful.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Agreed

Aussie fans don’t get bored when 16 teams (mostly) from Sydney play each other endlessly for 26 weeks and then finals

We are not going to get bored of anything similar in Union. Add in some Tasman spite, and things are improved further (as long as we don’t get tooo flogged)
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Issue from the Australian perspective is that the kiwi teams don't have much name value for the casual fan, other than the crusaders. Its why I think for Australian viewers I would put the city or region in front of the nickname, even if it ruffles feathers a bit.

Still, either option A and NZ plus TT or just home and away TT is miles better than disappearing for weeks to the Atlantic.
towny

Post by towny »

If we see the kiwi teams more we will learn to hate them for new reasons. 12 teams works - 6 games a week and no byes, followed hopefully by a 5 team finals series.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Dan54. wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:18 am Ok, I just can't see a 5 team comp lasting. I know it's been great, for a short term thing, and many I spoken to here in NZ have loved the Super Ao, but I haven't spoken to many that see it as anything but temporary.
And as I said if Leap Frog Marinos is the only one who decides what comps you in, your board is f***ed big time!
I dont think fans would get bored at all, they will get bored of flogging by NZ teams if we fall back into that zone.
Anyway, its cut, sad.
Marinos is there to make decisions hes the CEO, with governance from the Chairman and board.
See there's the difference between you and I, buggered if I know why so many of you Aussies are so negative, I honestly think your teams will be bloody competitive. You fellas have stop playing the hard done by victims!
:? what the...
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

grievous wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:27 pm
Anyway, its cut, sad.
:? what the...
I mean the victims in that we are just poor little fellas and you big bad boys are to strong/good.
shanky

Post by shanky »

The Hammer says we’ll be making sensible decisions about all this

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 57qyk.html

Makes a change from prior years where dumb shit was done.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

You look at the Australian sporting market and shake your head at the thought of not riding the tribal rivalry horse with the fist of an angry god, really.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

guy smiley wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:14 pm You look at the Australian sporting market and shake your head at the thought of not riding the tribal rivalry horse with the fist of an angry god, really.
Yes - but so often that is intra city, not inter city.

Or at least, people from the rest of the country may dislike Sydney, but Sydney people nothing other cities. Sydney people are more interested in hating other areas of their own city.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Noted, but above that…

Australians like winning

…More than anything.

Remember when we were all experts on beach volleyball and the women’s 400m hurdles?

That’s why we want a permanent Super Au comp, so we can see winning, on FTA, at a reasonable hour

It’s not rocket science, but seemingly (as GS points out) it has been, until recently.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Zakar wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:24 pm
guy smiley wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:14 pm You look at the Australian sporting market and shake your head at the thought of not riding the tribal rivalry horse with the fist of an angry god, really.
Yes - but so often that is intra city, not inter city.

Or at least, people may dislike Sydney, but Sydney people nothing other cities. Sydney people are more interested in hating other areas of their own city.
Yeah but nah.

AFL and NRL certainly started out as suburban tribal rivalries but both have tapped and harnessed the same dynamic at city and state level. State of Origin, ffs… the biggest and best games the NRL can deliver. AFL pitched the ‘Heartland’ against Not Vics. You cunce just naturally hate anything that isn’t you, making small allowances for the fact you might need to borrow something from a neighbour so he’s a good bloke for a cnut.
shanky

Post by shanky »

The Tahs got 35k+ to the semi a few years ago.
We’ll overlook suburban rivalry if the conditions are right. :thumbup:
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Yeah for sure... not taking anything away from that at all. You add those intercontinental hatreds once you've got your neighbourhood sorted out, right?

So RA should, if we are right and we always are, look at entrenching the domestic comp and maintaining SuperRugbyAU, building on it's obvious appeal... and allow the international component to grow off that, rather than the other way around.

I think it's important that every team play the others with no manufactured, split round, bye riddled conference style malarkey where someone gets through a season without playing someone else so the workload has to be managed against the need to produce enough rugby, content wise. I'd hope that RA and NZR would agree on a model that works best on both sides of the Tasman for the domestic legs before launching into the expanded TT comp, bearing in mind the slightly different needs that may arise. I'm thinking along the lines of a single round domestic before the longer TT comp starts. You could maybe also look at getting the two expansion teams involved so everyone is getting games.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Exactly!

Plus, give the teams their geographic names back, so your average punter knows where the fvck they're form (per Zakar)
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

towny wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:45 am If we see the kiwi teams more we will learn to hate them for new reasons. 12 teams works - 6 games a week and no byes, followed hopefully by a 5 team finals series.
fudge off with 5 finalists from a 12 team comp. Makes the regular season a waste of time.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Sonny Blount wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:44 am
towny wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:45 am If we see the kiwi teams more we will learn to hate them for new reasons. 12 teams works - 6 games a week and no byes, followed hopefully by a 5 team finals series.
fudge off with 5 finalists from a 12 team comp. Makes the regular season a waste of time.
In the NRL, they have 8 of 16 teams going into the finals. Hasn't harmed their comp

Plus, the finals rounds are weighted, so those finishing at the fringes are on sudden death, and the top finishers get a second life, possibility of a week off etc
Adds to the drama, rather than detracting form it
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

shanky wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:46 am
In the NRL, they have 8 of 16 teams going into the finals. Hasn't harmed their comp

Plus, the finals rounds are weighted, so those finishing at the fringes are on sudden death, and the top finishers get a second life, possibility of a week off etc
Adds to the drama, rather than detracting form it
Same in the AFL with 18 teams going into an 8 team finals' series... sudden death for the bottom 4, second chance for top 4 in the first round of finals heading into eliminations.

It works just fine with the finals presenting a second mini comp played at much higher intensity.

The complication for rugby is the extra tier of international rep rugby available in a regular season, which we've seen SANZAAR f**k with by breaking the Super season for a test window that renders the Supe pretty meaningless afterwards.

Once Covid settles enough to allow travel, we need to accommodate test windows to butter the bread. That's got to be the tricky bit to manage.
shanky

Post by shanky »

NRL has the same problem with SOO

Not sure they've got the answer perfectly, either, but since not all players will play international, we could keep the comp going on some kind of basis (perhaps midweek games)

The answer ('an' answer?) is there somewhere. I have confidence the Hammer can get to it. His experience with big bash etc will help.
grievous

Post by grievous »

shanky wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:06 pm The Hammer says we’ll be making sensible decisions about all this

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 57qyk.html

Makes a change from prior years where dumb shit was done.
The man talks sense, fark off Marinos
towny

Post by towny »

You’re probably new to excitement in sport so you’ll have to trust me. It’s not easy to win from 5th - you need to beat 3 teams all at their home ground.
towny

Post by towny »

shanky wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:56 am NRL has the same problem with SOO

Not sure they've got the answer perfectly, either, but since not all players will play international, we could keep the comp going on some kind of basis (perhaps midweek games)

The answer ('an' answer?) is there somewhere. I have confidence the Hammer can get to it. His experience with big bash etc will help.
+1

No more stoppages to the season. A 4 week gap for tests means people move on and it’s hard to maintain the buzz. Split rounds?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Momentum is everything. I'm not a fan of split rounds for that reason. I get that squeezing a test in means shifting things if scheduling means running internationals concurrently... I'd go with Shanky there and suggest a mid week model. Perhaps a Thursday or Friday night game before a Saturday test?
Peteray

Post by Peteray »

I thought Lonergan went well.