Overseas Australians could face jail for trying to come home

All things Rugby
shanky

Re: Overseas Australians could face jail for trying to come home

Post by shanky »

bimboman wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:26 pm
shanky wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:17 pm Blackrock Idiot purports to be a lawyer, while failing to understand the very simple legal concept of the difference between a temporary measure (injunction) and a permanent policy.

The Australian government will not be able to stop citizens from returning on a permanent basis. Everyone knows this, even third-cock-from-the-left junior corporate lawyers at middling shithouse manufacturing firms.

God knows where this realisation leaves this clown. :lol:

“While actually making the return of some citizens illegal”. :thumbup:
Not you as well, ferchrissake
:lol:
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Farva wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:12 pm Labelling a country racist without any understanding of the issue just demonstrates you don’t have a clue.

Covid cases in hotel quarantine have skyrocketed. They are all coming from India. This is a huge risk to Australia. It is not a racist policy in any way. You are completely wrong here.

Whether it is a reasonable policy is a different story.

You being a dickhead is entirely accurate.
I do understand the issue.

I saw the reaction in Perth. A man who entered a quarantine facility was publicly shamed for going to get married for when it leaked out.

The ban on travellers from India is absolutely racist. The reaction of the WA Premier was dog whistling
Mr McGowan was scathing of the person who went to India for a wedding.

“It’s not OK,” he said.

“If you want to go overseas, it should be for only the most extraordinary of reasons at this point in time.

“Not to go overseas for a wedding. Even to go overseas for a funeral.

“We have to be a lot tougher in relation to letting people out of Australia at this point in time.”
A person went home for an essential reason, to get married. On return, WA’s Premier blamed this man for his own inept system.

This is all after there was a rise in racism directed towards Asian Australian’s last year because of Covid.
"It just happens it's China's turn again."

Earlier this year, the ABC was contacted by hundreds of people who shared their experiences of discrimination during the pandemic.

Asian Australians, particularly of Chinese heritage, reported an increase in abuse and racist attacks because the coronavirus was first detected in China.
https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.abc.net ... e/12834324

The Premier knew what he was at. Indians are the next easy target.

When it comes to Australia and other countries during Covid, the behaviour towards certain nations is telling. Chinese and Japanese travellers were put on Christmas Island for a period. Travellers from India are called out by politicians and now travel is banned. There are some pathetic attempts here to weasel out of that.
The UK and US were also responsible for a greater share of overseas acquired cases in Australia at the height of their outbreaks, according to data released by the New South Wales health department.
In NSW, 41% of Covid-19 cases acquired overseas in December were from the United States.

NSW Health has released data on overseas acquired infections by source country since November. Examining the past five months, it can be seen that India, the UK and the US all had similar numbers of resident returns in the past year – 11,760 then 12,510 and 10,990 respectively.
But significantly more residents returned from the United Kingdom and the United States over the three months to January than from India.
https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguar ... ear-factor

The data from leading epidemiologists shows it as racist.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:12 pm
MungoMan wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:31 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:04 am
CrazyIslander wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:59 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:53 am
Firstly, no it wouldn't. Australia doesn't have to deal with the virus as gateway to Northern Europe in the middle of a long, cold winter. They two countries are in completely different situations.

Secondly don't float idiotic alternatives as if they're the only option. Nobody is suggesting Australia eats 35K covid deaths as if that's the default alternative.
Even 1k deaths is too much. Enough for a hard lockdown of 4 months if we're going by the standard of last year.
This is just a demonstration of how completely clueless and shit people are at analysing this. No offence again, you're not the only one.

Do you know how many people the flu kills in Australia every year? While you're Googling that, keep in mind that it includes are high percentage of babies and children who are, unlike corona, particularly susceptible.
If you had any clue whatsofúckingever about influenza in Australia I suspect you wouldn't have posted such arrant nonsense.

According to the Cwth Department of Health's influenza season summaries, flu fatalities across completed reporting seasons (generally, late April to late September altho' it varies a bit) are all over the place like a madwoman's shit. See below:
2020 - 37
2019 - 812
2018 - 57
2017 - 745
2016 - 92
2015 - 97
2014 - 57
2013 - 27

Even allowing for the mandated flu reporting season not being an entire year plus yada yada in re reporting methodology (see DOH boilerplate in footnote*), only two of those eight years could come close to matching COVID-19 associated deaths in Australia from early 2020 until now.

The other thing is that, in Australia at least, your following assertion is bollocks: 'keep in mind that it includes are high percentage of babies and children who are, unlike corona, particularly susceptible.'.

The report for each of year listed above gives a median age for influenza fatalities and, for five of those years the median age was 80 or greater, for one between 60 and 70, and for two between 60 and 70. Nothing bears out 'high percentage' or 'particularly susceptible', although the ranges provided in certain reports make it clear that influenza in Australia from 2013 until now has killed some of the very young whereas COVID-19 has not. (I haven't located a confirmed local COVID-19 associated death of anyone younger than 20).

Finally, no googles were molested in the making of this post. I bookmarked the Cwth DOH influenza reporting page last year and know where to locate ABC News' COVID-19 stats page.

* Note that the number of influenza-associated deaths reported to the NNDSS does not represent the true mortality associated with this disease. The number of deaths is reliant on the follow up of cases to determine the outcome of their infection. The follow up of cases is not a requirement of notification, and are only inclusive of laboratory-confirmed cases of influenza. Due to retrospective revision, the variation across jurisdictions in methodology, representativeness and timeliness of death data, and reporting of an outcome of infection not being a requirement of notification, year on year comparisons of deaths in notified cases of influenza may not be reliable.
It's not ignorant nonsense, but congratulations on your Googling skills, whether you had it bookmarked from a previous Google or not.

The point was that CI said that even 1000 deaths it too many. I've heard other posters say that even one death is too many. Flu deaths in Australia have been known to push 1000 a year during a bad year, but we're not banning citizens from entering the country on those years. That was (I thought quite obviously) the point you knuckle-dragger. Not that the flu is just as deadly as coronavirus.
So how many times more than the average flu deaths do you think a pandemic (any pandemic) needs to have before you allow countries to protect their citizens the way Oz and NZ have been doing?
shanky

Post by shanky »

How many Indian or Chinese or Malaysian people live in Ireland?

I think it’s telling that you refuse to answer the question.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

UncleFB wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:30 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:12 pm
MungoMan wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:31 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:04 am
CrazyIslander wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:59 am
Even 1k deaths is too much. Enough for a hard lockdown of 4 months if we're going by the standard of last year.
This is just a demonstration of how completely clueless and shit people are at analysing this. No offence again, you're not the only one.

Do you know how many people the flu kills in Australia every year? While you're Googling that, keep in mind that it includes are high percentage of babies and children who are, unlike corona, particularly susceptible.
If you had any clue whatsofúckingever about influenza in Australia I suspect you wouldn't have posted such arrant nonsense.

According to the Cwth Department of Health's influenza season summaries, flu fatalities across completed reporting seasons (generally, late April to late September altho' it varies a bit) are all over the place like a madwoman's shit. See below:
2020 - 37
2019 - 812
2018 - 57
2017 - 745
2016 - 92
2015 - 97
2014 - 57
2013 - 27

Even allowing for the mandated flu reporting season not being an entire year plus yada yada in re reporting methodology (see DOH boilerplate in footnote*), only two of those eight years could come close to matching COVID-19 associated deaths in Australia from early 2020 until now.

The other thing is that, in Australia at least, your following assertion is bollocks: 'keep in mind that it includes are high percentage of babies and children who are, unlike corona, particularly susceptible.'.

The report for each of year listed above gives a median age for influenza fatalities and, for five of those years the median age was 80 or greater, for one between 60 and 70, and for two between 60 and 70. Nothing bears out 'high percentage' or 'particularly susceptible', although the ranges provided in certain reports make it clear that influenza in Australia from 2013 until now has killed some of the very young whereas COVID-19 has not. (I haven't located a confirmed local COVID-19 associated death of anyone younger than 20).

Finally, no googles were molested in the making of this post. I bookmarked the Cwth DOH influenza reporting page last year and know where to locate ABC News' COVID-19 stats page.

* Note that the number of influenza-associated deaths reported to the NNDSS does not represent the true mortality associated with this disease. The number of deaths is reliant on the follow up of cases to determine the outcome of their infection. The follow up of cases is not a requirement of notification, and are only inclusive of laboratory-confirmed cases of influenza. Due to retrospective revision, the variation across jurisdictions in methodology, representativeness and timeliness of death data, and reporting of an outcome of infection not being a requirement of notification, year on year comparisons of deaths in notified cases of influenza may not be reliable.
It's not ignorant nonsense, but congratulations on your Googling skills, whether you had it bookmarked from a previous Google or not.

The point was that CI said that even 1000 deaths it too many. I've heard other posters say that even one death is too many. Flu deaths in Australia have been known to push 1000 a year during a bad year, but we're not banning citizens from entering the country on those years. That was (I thought quite obviously) the point you knuckle-dragger. Not that the flu is just as deadly as coronavirus.
So how many times more than the average flu deaths do you think a pandemic (any pandemic) needs to have before you allow countries to protect their citizens the way Oz and NZ have been doing?
I don't know, but it would have to be a shit load more serious a situation than what it is to hang your countrymen out to dry. That is not anything to be proud about (and don't even know if NZ are doing that, are they?).

To be clear, nobody is suggesting a free for all. Just that considering the Liberals have billions to spend on submarines and fighter jets, I'm sure they can splash out a bit and make it happen in a safe and effective manner when their citizens actually do need them the most. Instead they're effectively locking them out with the zombie hoard so they can drink beer and watch little league games without even a 0.00001% risk to themselves.

Dipshits cheering-on this shitshow need their heads read. It's a purely political, cowardly and selfish policy.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Sat May 01, 2021 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

So Blackrock Bullet has now spent a full 12 months trolling Australians about their response to COVID-19. He's trolled lockdowns, trolled hotel quarantine, trolled mask wearing and he's trolled our border closures. That's sad and pathetic in equal measures. Imagine the outrage on this forum if Aussie posters trolled other nationalities about their responses and outcomes?
Blackrock Bullet

shanky wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:17 pm Blackrock Idiot purports to be a lawyer, while failing to understand the very simple legal concept of the difference between a temporary measure (injunction) and a permanent policy.

The Australian government will not be able to stop citizens from returning on a permanent basis. Everyone knows this, even third-cock-from-the-left junior corporate lawyers at middling shithouse manufacturing firms.

We are well over a year from this now.

The Australian health minister himself stated that borders could remain closed even for the vaccinated.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.smh.com ... 57ixi.html

Following the decision to make it a criminal offence for an Australian citizen to come home from India, it appears that Australia is even more dug in.

“Temporary measure” :lol:

Interestingly on the law side- and I am no expert in Australian law, many experts believe this won’t fly.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguar ... e-unlawful

Now in terms of my argument, I am very much framing it on the moral side here. I think Australia is showing itself to be immoral and not respectable on its border behaviours. It strikes me as the worst instincts of human behaviours wrapped up in one country due to fear and paranoia about Covid-19. You are not the only country for this and I think my own Ireland has shown similar traits over the last few months, but Australia appears to be particularly despicable and most Australians don’t seem to care.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

shanky wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:28 pm

That you’re cheering on the erosion of our freedoms is a bit of a surprise. As I pointed out earlier all the self proclaimed “progressives” approving on this is amusing.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:35 pm So Blackrock Bullet has now spent a full 12 months trolling Australians about their response to COVID-19. He's trolled lockdowns, trolled hotel quarantine, trolled mask wearing and he's trolled our border closures. That's sad and pathetic in equal measures. Imagine the outrage on this forum if Aussie posters trolled other nationalities about their responses and outcomes?

He’s done none of those things.

You spent 1/2 of last year cheering on every European death.

You’re cyber scum
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:36 pm Now in terms of my argument, I am very much framing it on the moral side here. I think Australia is showing itself to be immoral and not respectable on its border behaviours. It strikes me as the worst instincts of human behaviours wrapped up in one country due to fear and paranoia about Covid-19. You are not the only country for this and I think my own Ireland has shown similar traits over the last few months, but Australia appears to be particularly despicable and most Australians don’t seem to care.
shanky

Post by shanky »

I’m going to assume you’re on a wind-up, albeit a deeply unpleasant one.

Having said that, you’ve hit a rich vein. On this forum, you can accuse Aussies of being institutionally racist with gay abandon. There are no sanctions. Hell, Muttonbird has made his Teflon career from doing exactly that

So, congratulations, you’re the Irish Muttonbird.

Knock yourself out, btw. I’ll not respond to you again. :thumbup:
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

bimboman wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:38 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:35 pm So Blackrock Bullet has now spent a full 12 months trolling Australians about their response to COVID-19. He's trolled lockdowns, trolled hotel quarantine, trolled mask wearing and he's trolled our border closures. That's sad and pathetic in equal measures. Imagine the outrage on this forum if Aussie posters trolled other nationalities about their responses and outcomes?

He’s done none of those things.

You spent 1/2 of last year cheering on every European death.

You’re cyber scum
Stupid post from a stupid poster. Please keep your non-stop COVID-19 trolling to the UK thread.
shanky

Post by shanky »

That you’re cheering on the erosion of our freedoms is a bit of a surprise. As I pointed out earlier all the self proclaimed “progressives” approving on this is amusing.
It’s a temporary measure. Get that? Temporary. Three weeks apparently

Having said that, I don’t agree with it

I have friends who are heartbroken by the measure. can’t visit dying relatives.

It’s awful and we all hope it ends soon. Nonetheless, never a chance missed for some shitstains to call all of us racists, with impunity.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

shanky wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:40 pm I’m going to assume you’re on a wind-up, albeit a deeply unpleasant one.

Having said that, you’ve hit a rich vein. On this forum, you can accuse Aussies of being institutionally racist with gay abandon. There are no sanctions. Hell, Muttonbird has made his Teflon career from doing exactly that

Hey He’s been nothing but reasonable.

If you want to actually think about the policy explain why it’s India and not France where travellers are to be banned from where France has a higher infection rate currently.
Blackrock Bullet

shanky wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:30 pm How many Indian or Chinese or Malaysian people live in Ireland?

I think it’s telling that you refuse to answer the question.
Quite a few from India actually. About 92k were born in India. I believe just over 500k in Australia were born there- quite similar numbers on a population head for head. And we have plenty of racism by the by, I’m not saying otherwise. I think Australia is a far more racist country myself but you do have a longer colonial past.

What is the point you are trying to make anyway?

The simply facts are that you have as many inbound travellers from the US and U.K. as India. During the explosion of cases in the NH, US travellers were accounting for 40% of MHQ cases. There was no ban on inbound flights from the US. It’s easy to do that when you have a population and government officials willing blame Indians for Covid and lockdowns.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

shanky wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:43 pm

It’s awful and we all hope it ends soon. Nonetheless, never a chance missed for some shitstains to call all of us racists, with impunity.

We had a 3 week lockdown here last year, we are still in it. :thumbup:

And no one has called YOU a racist , they’ve called a Government policy racist there’s quite a difference in that.
Blackrock Bullet

shanky wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:40 pm I’m going to assume you’re on a wind-up, albeit a deeply unpleasant one.

Dry your eyes. You spent weeks moaning over the EU. You don’t like the mirror turned on yourself - have you figured out when Australia will start exporting vaccines btw?

Anyway, I’m glad you disagree with it. It’s good that we eventually got there.
shanky

Post by shanky »

bimboman wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:43 pm

If you want to actually think about the policy explain why it’s India and not France where travellers are to be banned from where France has a higher infection rate currently.
Well, we all know the answer don’t we?

Eh?

Eh?

Nudge nudge wink wink
shanky

Post by shanky »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:46 pm

Dry your eyes. You spent weeks moaning over the EU. You don’t like the mirror turned on yourself - have you figured out when Australia will start exporting vaccines btw?

We’re done here mate.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

shanky wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:46 pm

Eh?

Eh?

Nudge nudge wink wink

Well reasons have been proposed, you disagree with them but propose nothing yourself.

I actually suspect it’s not racist per se, more likely easy lazy politics.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

“May be unlawful” is a meaningless statement.

It is also a curious characterization of the proposed law. As I read it, one is being denied a right to return. They simply have a intervening requirement which delays their arrival if they have been in certain designated areas. It effectively doubles a quarantine or isolation period. 14 days outside of Australia, after leaving the high risk area, before flying, then the standard 14 days in Australia on arrival. I’m trying to work out where that ranks in a historical context of atrocities. Certainly below the underarm delivery.

That said, certainly keen to hear more about the moral failings of Australians and grateful Jacinda and Joe have far more humane and decent travel bans in place.
shanky

Post by shanky »

bimboman wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:49 pm
shanky wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:46 pm

Eh?

Eh?

Nudge nudge wink wink

Well reasons have been proposed, you disagree with them but propose nothing yourself.

I actually suspect it’s not racist per se, more likely easy lazy politics.
Well of course, but don’t let the facts get in the way of a good story
Mog The Almighty

shanky wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:43 pm

Dude it's been virtually impossible to get home for 12 months without great expense (so literally impossible for many) and it was already a disgraceful policy without going full gulag and making it actually literally illegal for citizens to enter their own country when they're most in need.

The response must be in proportion to the risk, and in this case its not even close. That would be reasonable measure if this actually was a zombie outbreak or the black plague. Sucks to be them in that case. But its not even close. Its about a million miles closer to a common cold than that.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Sat May 01, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blackrock Bullet

shanky wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:48 pm

We’re done here mate.
If you want to peruse the NAMA threat, I have stated that the original MHQ and demands here was nakedly racist.

You seem to have your entire worldview wrapped up in the behaviour of your government. My view is that it goes beyond basic levels of decency and is giving into racial undertones.
shanky

Post by shanky »

mog

I happen to agree with you. Does that help?

In this country, we’ve decided one case is one too many. Forget about flattening the curve, we shut whole states because someone got a sniffle.

But that’s an unpopular view over here at the moment. At this rate, we’ll never open up again..
shanky

Post by shanky »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:57 pm
shanky wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:48 pm

We’re done here mate.
If you want to peruse the NAMA threat, I have stated that the original MHQ and demands here was nakedly racist.

You seem to have your entire worldview wrapped up in the behaviour of your government. My view is that it goes beyond basic levels of decency and is giving into racial undertones.
Apology accepted
grievous

Post by grievous »

Ladies ladies..Blackballs backdoor has trolled anything Oz he can over the years, RA, the health of the game, commercial broadcasting, etc etc...dont engage.
He is bitter cos he got his visa knocked back when he was exposed as a tarmac con artist wanting old ladies to pay for work up front.
Oz is racist, fvck how old is that one on here. Let him fap his palm raw on it with Bimbo and MOG.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Thank Christ

Our ‘Daddy’ has arrived. Now they’ll be sorry

Get them Grievy!

:lol: :thumbup:
Mog The Almighty

shanky wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:59 pm mog

In this country, we’ve decided one case is one too many. Forget about flattening the curve, we shut whole states because someone got a sniffle.

But that’s an unpopular view over here at the moment. At this rate, we’ll never open up again..
It does help actually.

It's very weird watching what's happening in Australia from outside. I have otherwise eminently reasonable mates losing the plot over this. Watching them flip put when I told them I'd caught it was very amusing. Doesn't get the same reaction here, usually something like, "yeah I got it last week/at the start/whatever".

And then there's also just dumb people who have formed some kind of nationalistic emotional attachment with their nations covid response which would be hilarious I'd it weren't so stupid. Glad to hear you are not one of those.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:26 pm
shanky wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:59 pm mog

It does help actually.

It's very weird watching what's happening in Australia from outside. I have otherwise eminently reasonable mates losing the plot over this. Watching them flip put when I told them I'd caught it was very amusing. Doesn't get the same reaction here, usually something like, "yeah I got it last week/at the start/whatever".

And then there's also just dumb people who have formed some kind of nationalistic emotional attachment with their nations covid response which would be hilarious I'd it weren't so stupid. Glad to hear you are not one of those.
I’m genuinely not sure how we’re going to get back from it..

Anyone suggesting we could eventually ‘live with’ COVID at the moment faces a public tarring and feathering

The health minister even suggested we might not open up even after everyone is vaccinated. The virtue signaling is at an all time high - which makes the racism suggestions even more silly, really
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

You will be fine, just need the natural rebalancing of greed and fear to start happening. A bit of widespread FOMO in the community and the politicians will lead from behind as polling better informs their sense of morality.
Leinsterbloke

Post by Leinsterbloke »

I'm more shocked at the fact you can't leave Australia without a very hard to get permission. Dispensation only for life or death matters to immediate family. But someone whose father was dying in ICU wasn't enough to leave, even though he was only a permanent resident not a citizen.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/we-can- ... 57mgr.html

That's f**ked. Let people leave, you don't have to let them back in but holding a guy here while his dad dies is nuts.
towny

Post by towny »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:47 am
towny wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:10 am The Australian government has trampled on the rights of some of its citizens (like me) to protect the lives of other Australian citizens (like Thomas).

I don't like it one bit. But what's the alternative? The world losing a comic genius is too big a cross for me to bear.

Choices are all about trade-offs and we all have to make them every day. The government has made a choice most Australians (including me) think is the right one, regardless of how big the price seems to be.
There is another choice.

South Korea allows home quarantine for local residents and citizens. They have a lower death rate per capita than Australia.

The obsession with MHQ amongst some is strange, but even if you support it, when the system can’t cope you have to change course. Australia have defacto locked tens of thousands of citizens out and have been taken to the UN over same. Now they have confirmed it’s a criminal offence from one party of the world. I’m ashamed that so many here became enamoured with their approach (which couldn’t even be replicated) and ignored the trade offs involved. Australians are at least committed to this brutal treatment of their citizens, far more citizens that would die from Covid anyway.
I don’t exactly know how South Korea’s approach has differed but I bet my left nut that it involves a hell of a lot more restrictions than what you’ve listed. South Korea and Taiwan are able to approach things differently because they have differing privacy rights and the government has far more authority.

Plus, they have previous experience with pandemics like this, have fewer entry points and possibly don’t have as many expats looking to return ‘home’. In other words, I will give you one of my testicles if you can show how it’s an apples v apples comparison.

For 12 months on this thread you’ve been desperate to show that Australia and New Zealand’s approach will fail. Sadly, lots of people haven’t died and the country’s are getting positive press for their success. So now you’ve pivoted to a campaigner for human rights or whatever else you claim it’s about.

Why not have a think about why you really want Australia and New Zealand to fail? Is it because you want to be right? Is it some ideological thing? If and when you work it out, there’s no need to come on and tell us about it - we don’t give a shit what you think.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Leinsterbloke wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:21 pm I'm more shocked at the fact you can't leave Australia without a very hard to get permission. Dispensation only for life or death matters to immediate family. But someone whose father was dying in ICU wasn't enough to leave, even though he was only a permanent resident not a citizen.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/we-can- ... 57mgr.html

That's f**ked. Let people leave, you don't have to let them back in but holding a guy here while his dad dies is nuts.

It’s pretty much illegal to leave the U.K. presently.
Blackrock Bullet

towny wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:41 pm
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:47 am
towny wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:10 am The Australian government has trampled on the rights of some of its citizens (like me) to protect the lives of other Australian citizens (like Thomas).

I don't like it one bit. But what's the alternative? The world losing a comic genius is too big a cross for me to bear.

Choices are all about trade-offs and we all have to make them every day. The government has made a choice most Australians (including me) think is the right one, regardless of how big the price seems to be.
There is another choice.

South Korea allows home quarantine for local residents and citizens. They have a lower death rate per capita than Australia.

The obsession with MHQ amongst some is strange, but even if you support it, when the system can’t cope you have to change course. Australia have defacto locked tens of thousands of citizens out and have been taken to the UN over same. Now they have confirmed it’s a criminal offence from one party of the world. I’m ashamed that so many here became enamoured with their approach (which couldn’t even be replicated) and ignored the trade offs involved. Australians are at least committed to this brutal treatment of their citizens, far more citizens that would die from Covid anyway.
I don’t exactly know how South Korea’s approach has differed but I bet my left nut that it involves a hell of a lot more restrictions than what you’ve listed. South Korea and Taiwan are able to approach things differently because they have differing privacy rights and the government has far more authority.

Plus, they have previous experience with pandemics like this, have fewer entry points and possibly don’t have as many expats looking to return ‘home’. In other words, I will give you one of my testicles if you can show how it’s an apples v apples comparison.

For 12 months on this thread you’ve been desperate to show that Australia and New Zealand’s approach will fail. Sadly, lots of people haven’t died and the country’s are getting positive press for their success. So now you’ve pivoted to a campaigner for human rights or whatever else you claim it’s about.

Why not have a think about why you really want Australia and New Zealand to fail? Is it because you want to be right? Is it some ideological thing? If and when you work it out, there’s no need to come on and tell us about it - we don’t give a shit what you think.
SK test you on arrival and if you are positive, they will put you in MHQ if a local resident.

I didn’t say it would fail. I said that it was risky if there was no vaccine. I actually congratulated the posters here who were loving locking out their fellow citizens- as a strategy it was working and the vaccines made it look like a total winner for them internationally. What we are seeing though in recent weeks is the VOC scaries representing the risk Australia and NZ took. Reopening borders appears to be extremely difficult for them and they are going down a more serious road now in outright banning citizens.

Based on your reply it seems to be just Aussies flocking to save other Aussies arses in their hour of need though, and they call the Irish the swarm. Aussies here have no issue with describing policies in the US as racist but don’t like their own government being accused of same. Rather strange.
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

Ah how I've missed the sweet smell of righteous paddies Irishsplaining Australia to Australians :thumbup:
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:39 am The decision to ban India is 100% racist. The US had hundreds of thousands of cases in January and no ban.
Was the US getting 300K+ cases per day?
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Every country I see banning travellers from India appears to be doing it because of the risk of new, unseen variants possibly developing over there. Not because Indians have brown skin.

Is Australia different? I doubt it.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Thomas wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:08 pm
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:39 am The decision to ban India is 100% racist. The US had hundreds of thousands of cases in January and no ban.
Yes, January 8 there were 308k.

Regardless, the decision is economic. I have no doubt many countries would have liked to ban all travel from the US but didn’t want to take them on.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Mr Mike wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:26 pm
Thomas wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:08 pm
Yes, January 8 there were 308k.

Regardless, the decision is economic. I have no doubt many countries would have liked to ban all travel from the US but didn’t want to take them on.
I’m not so sure about that. I think it’s more likely related to the number of travellers from each country trying to enter Australia and NZ. The quarantine facilities in current use were in danger of being swamped by positive cases and the entire managed immigration schemes run by both governments faced an unacceptable level of risk of collapsing.

But Blackrock Bullet knows better. He’s known better since this whole Covid crisis kicked off. He’s been wrong every step of the way but he still knows better.