Things are alright

All things Rugby
Bindi

Things are alright

Post by Bindi »

Public Holiday. Brisbane Autumn is perfect as usual. Sitting back, drinking an IPA (the racist Colonial one), listening to tunes in the backyard and smoking some beef short ribs. BBQ has managed to maintain temperature nicely the whole time. Set a few Strava PBs on my standard ride today (which I've probably done at least 100 times), so getting fitter. Kids are happy. Wife having a nap. Psyching up for the Grand Final next weekend, which I'll be going to with a bunch of mates.

Anyway, that's the thread.

Who else is having a good day?
mr bungle

Re: Things are alright

Post by mr bungle »

Don't go ruining it with some Devin. Sounds idyllic, though. :thumbup:
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

mr bungle wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:42 am Don't go ruining it with some Devin. Sounds idyllic, though. :thumbup:
Strictly electronica. Devin is for workout time. :thumbup:

Anyway, got me one of those Sonos Roam Bluetooth speaker things. Great for backyard escapism.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Nice virtue signalling. Enjoy your privilege. :thumbup:
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Muttonbirds wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:58 am Nice virtue signalling. Enjoy your privilege. :thumbup:
Mmmmmmmm.........

Farva

Post by Farva »

I spent the day at work, largely in meetings where one would end and I’d be straight to the next.
Then went to walk the dog but it’s raining, and that sort of rain where it’s not heavy just kind of there, so you get wet but you don’t think you are so you keep going.

Wife’s turn to cook so she is doing a pasta with a nice homemade sauce. But she will probably want to watch MasterChef later on so I’ll have to think of a way to amuse myself for an hour or two.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Spent the day in our brand new office poi ting out Defects to the builder.

He's a Yarpie which made it more fun :lol:

Relaxing with a Mountain Goat Very Enjoyable beer now 😎
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:50 am Spent the day in our brand new office poi ting out Defects to the builder.

He's a Yarpie which made it more fun :lol:

Relaxing with a Mountain Goat Very Enjoyable beer now 😎
My go-to mid-week beer. Nice.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Farva wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:40 am I spent the day at work, largely in meetings where one would end and I’d be straight to the next.
Then went to walk the dog but it’s raining, and that sort of rain where it’s not heavy just kind of there, so you get wet but you don’t think you are so you keep going.

Wife’s turn to cook so she is doing a pasta with a nice homemade sauce. But she will probably want to watch MasterChef later on so I’ll have to think of a way to amuse myself for an hour or two.
Dog always makes any day better. Except when they go to the vet, but we're in positivity mode here.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Dog didn’t mind the rain.

He is currently in the kitchen barking at the leftovers in the hopes that he gets some.

He probably will
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

This year has been ace as I got my first dog. 8)
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

I've enjoyed two long weekends in a row to start term 2, off the back of the usual two weeks of school holidays. I can't complain about life.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Bindi wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:55 am
mr bungle wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:42 am Don't go ruining it with some Devin. Sounds idyllic, though. :thumbup:

Anyway, got me one of those Sonos Roam Bluetooth speaker things. Great for backyard escapism.
You recommend? I got a UE Megaboom which has average sound. The JBL’s since have a much better range. But I have a fair bit of Sonos so keen on a Roam. Can double as a bedside speaker with charging base.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

I'm not too fussed about a grand final of a 5 team comp though.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Bindi wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:17 am Public Holiday. Brisbane Autumn is perfect as usual. Sitting back, drinking an IPA (the racist Colonial one), listening to tunes in the backyard and smoking some beef short ribs. BBQ has managed to maintain temperature nicely the whole time. Set a few Strava PBs on my standard ride today (which I've probably done at least 100 times), so getting fitter. Kids are happy. Wife having a nap. Psyching up for the Grand Final next weekend, which I'll be going to with a bunch of mates.

Loafed around doing this and that in the morning, visited the local 24 access gym early in the arvo, loafed around some more, had a few glasses of suav. blanc and a stubby each of Coopers Sparkling and Stout then watched a movie. Not bad all up.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Some good beers have been mentioned on this thread. Colonial IPA is a good 'un but I wouldn't describe it as a session beer as it is as strong as fvck. Too many and you'll be on your ass.

GOAT is a beauty, and very sessionable. Can't go wrong with a Coopers either. but again, beware of the Sparkling Ale. Like the Colonial, it'll put hairs on your chest.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

mr bungle wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:19 am
Bindi wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:55 am

You recommend? I got a UE Megaboom which has average sound. The JBL’s since have a much better range. But I have a fair bit of Sonos so keen on a Roam. Can double as a bedside speaker with charging base.
It's good and bad. Great that it switches seamlessly between Wi-fi and Bluetooth. Sounds decent for electronic music where there's a clear separation between instruments at different frequencies - so quite reliant on the mix. Would be a decent bedside speaker, but the white LED on the front could be annoying.

Absolute rubbish for metal, but I don't think any small speaker could do that.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

It’s for Neil Young etc round the campfire and some well produced modern stuff. Should sound fine. I need to add some subs to my Sonos’. Metal sounds thin, old 80s Metallica does anyway, but they need the sub. Kyuss is always a great stereo reckoner. If it can play them well, it can play most stuff.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

mr bungle wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:09 pm It’s for Neil Young etc round the campfire and some well produced modern stuff. Should sound fine. I need to add some subs to my Sonos’. Metal sounds thin, old 80s Metallica does anyway, but they need the sub. Kyuss is always a great stereo reckoner. If it can play them well, it can play most stuff.
Actually, one other thing - it's very very directional. Not one of those 360 degree speakers. So not great for a bunch of people, but good for a few sitting together.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Bindi wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:12 pm
mr bungle wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:09 pm It’s for Neil Young etc round the campfire and some well produced modern stuff. Should sound fine. I need to add some subs to my Sonos’. Metal sounds thin, old 80s Metallica does anyway, but they need the sub. Kyuss is always a great stereo reckoner. If it can play them well, it can play most stuff.
Actually, one other thing - it's very very directional. Not one of those 360 degree speakers. So not great for a bunch of people, but good for a few sitting together.
That’s a good tip. I’m kinda used to the 360 degree Bluetooth outdoor speaker.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Anyway - on topic.

Ribs were great. Finishing off with a glass of Noon Reserve Cab, one of Australia's greatest wines (as determined by me).

https://noonwinery.com.au/reserve-cabernet.html

Back to reality tomorrow.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Noon is walking distance of my in laws. :thumbup:

They have no wine available until Nov 2021 at the moment at the cellar door.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Farva wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:28 pm Noon is walking distance of my in laws. :thumbup:

They only open for a couple of weekends a year. Fortunately, I'm on the mailing list. Have to wait until someone who's on it to 'move into the next realm' so to speak to get your turn. You should get your in laws to get some for you if you get the chance. Not joking when I say they are the best of the best.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Bindi wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:37 pm
Farva wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:28 pm Noon is walking distance of my in laws. :thumbup:

They only open for a couple of weekends a year. Fortunately, I'm on the mailing list. Have to wait until someone who's on it to 'move into the next realm' so to speak to get your turn. You should get your in laws to get some for you if you get the chance. Not joking when I say they are the best of the best.
Need someone on the mailing list to pass on hey...

How’s the health mate? Feel any catastrophic heart failures coming on?
Farva

Post by Farva »

Took the dog for a walk past it a few weeks ago.
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

It’s pissing down here and I’ve a piece of brisket that has been in a brine for 10 days that I was hoping to smoke and then slow cook today. :(
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Farva wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:41 pm
Bindi wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:37 pm

Need someone on the mailing list to pass on hey...

How’s the health mate? Feel any catastrophic heart failures coming on?
After tonight - 50/50 chance.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Bindi wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:17 am Public Holiday. Brisbane Autumn is perfect as usual. Sitting back, drinking an IPA (the racist Colonial one), listening to tunes in the backyard and smoking some beef short ribs. BBQ has managed to maintain temperature nicely the whole time. Set a few Strava PBs on my standard ride today (which I've probably done at least 100 times), so getting fitter. Kids are happy. Wife having a nap. Psyching up for the Grand Final next weekend, which I'll be going to with a bunch of mates.

Fair play :thumbup:

My kind of weekend too
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

OP channelling Ice Cube
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

I f**ked my back up playing football with my nephew.

I'm a cripple now. Hips stiff and in agony, can't reach my toes.

Things are not alright
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Watching the snooker final with a beer listening to the rain pass down on the sunroofs roof. Could be better but could be a lot worse
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I had a grand long weekend. Spent much of last week in the flood ravaged Central Coast region. Was pretty grim but came home to my family and loving kelpie. Saturday and Sunday was all about school and club rugby (3 wins in 3 matches). I spent yesterday pottering around in the garden before a couple of cheeky beers and then an evening behind the microphone at ABC Brisbane (going statewide). Bliss.

Bindi, what kind of smoker do you have? I got one for Xmas (just a barrel smoker) and it has produced mixed results.
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

My good mate arrived in Wellington from Aussie on Friday so I took a half day. We went to the pub, enjoyed several beers, won some money on the punt, then we flew to Dunedin the next morning for his brother's 40th on Saturday night. Great evening with an open bar.

Flew back from Dunedin on Sunday (also my 42nd birthday), had two naps in the afternoon, won $550 from a $5 bet on harness racing then went out for a steak dinner that my mate paid for due to it being my birthday.

Work yesterday was horrible but largely due to my lethargy from the weekend. So not bad, all in all.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Thomas wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:13 pm I had a grand long weekend. Spent much of last week in the flood ravaged Central Coast region. Was pretty grim but came home to my family and loving kelpie. Saturday and Sunday was all about school and club rugby (3 wins in 3 matches). I spent yesterday pottering around in the garden before a couple of cheeky beers and then an evening behind the microphone at ABC Brisbane (going statewide). Bliss.

Bindi, what kind of smoker do you have? I got one for Xmas (just a barrel smoker) and it has produced mixed results.
This one:

https://www.matadorbbqs.com.au/barbecue ... kettle-bbq

More of a kettle BBQ, but the controlled airflow means you can maintain temperatures quite well once you get used to it (takes about an hour for it to settle). Needs one top up of heat beads during the day, but that's about it. Confident enough to leave and go out cycling or whatever now. Using Apple wood, which is fairly mild, for generating the smoke.

Once you've got the technique down, the biggest thing is the quality of the meat. Not enough intramuscular fat and it's too bland/dry.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

I drove from Wellington to Tauranga with a hangover yesterday. Jeebers... :((

Crossing the desert road in bright warm sunshine was amazing, though. That, and the Kaikoura coast on Saturday in similar bright sunshine after a little bit of recent snow... life is better than alright.

I feel like that whole year spent feeling stuck in Aus just working with no light at the end of the tunnel can be chucked on the 'kin barbie.
kiap

Post by kiap »

Bindi wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:28 am Once you've got the technique down, the biggest thing is the quality of the meat. Not enough intramuscular fat and it's too bland/dry.
:thumbup: Aus wagyu brisket goes alright,$25-30 a kilo, if you have the time to let it smoke.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Bindi wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:28 am
Thomas wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:13 pm I had a grand long weekend. Spent much of last week in the flood ravaged Central Coast region. Was pretty grim but came home to my family and loving kelpie. Saturday and Sunday was all about school and club rugby (3 wins in 3 matches). I spent yesterday pottering around in the garden before a couple of cheeky beers and then an evening behind the microphone at ABC Brisbane (going statewide). Bliss.

This one:

More of a kettle BBQ, but the controlled airflow means you can maintain temperatures quite well once you get used to it (takes about an hour for it to settle). Needs one top up of heat beads during the day, but that's about it. Confident enough to leave and go out cycling or whatever now. Using Apple wood, which is fairly mild, for generating the smoke.

Once you've got the technique down, the biggest thing is the quality of the meat. Not enough intramuscular fat and it's too bland/dry.
I've had good results with a pork shoulder but it turns out my wife doesn't like the smoke flavour.

I can get my barrel to sit on about 250F for 6-8 hours with little to no maintenance. Just need to work on the wife now.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Thomas wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:06 am
Bindi wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:28 am

This one:

I've had good results with a pork shoulder but it turns out my wife doesn't like the smoke flavour.

I can get my barrel to sit on about 250F for 6-8 hours with little to no maintenance. Just need to work on the wife now.
cook two sets of ribs

one in the smoker and one in the oven, both for the same low and slow time

Get her to taste-test them. Game over quicker than you can say "Nic Berry video referral". :thumbup:
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

guy smiley wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:36 am I drove from Wellington to Tauranga with a hangover yesterday. Jeebers... :((

Crossing the desert road in bright warm sunshine was amazing, though. That, and the Kaikoura coast on Saturday in similar bright sunshine after a little bit of recent snow... life is better than alright.

I feel like that whole year spent feeling stuck in Aus just working with no light at the end of the tunnel can be chucked on the 'kin barbie.
Which one is the Desert road?

I drove from Napier to Wellington a few years back and whilst beautiful, was struck by how bleached the grass was.

Also the end of the Freeway in Wellington is stark!
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

The Desert Road is Highway One... Turangi to Taihape.

Napier to Wellington would have taken you down SH2, the east coast through Masterton. The Desert Road runs you right past the volcanoes in the centre of the North Island and heading north, past Lake Taupo.

I hadn't done that drive until a couple of weeks back when I headed south. There was a fair bit of cloud around... coming back up north was a revelation. It's stunning.