Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

All things Rugby
User avatar
inactionman
Posts: 1454
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:25 pm

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by inactionman »

Different hemisphere and different specific subject, but still on topic of misbehaviour in league and I'm lazy so thought I'd drop it here.

Wigan's Tony Chubb has been given an 8-week ban for calling Andre Savelio a 'stupid Polynesian bastard', and quite a few in league think it's not a long enough ban.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... cist-abuse

I'd have said an 8-week ban was pretty significant, and sends a message very clearly that it's not acceptable, but it seems that many think it's lip service - Savelio's coach Brett Hodgson also on record saying it's too lenient. I'm not quite sure where my barometer for this sort of offence is set - although I do think it's the sort of offence that might benefit from some training/remedial action rather than just a ban, which is why just upping ban length isn't something I see as particularly productive - so interested in opinions.
User avatar
earl the beaver
Posts: 52985
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by earl the beaver »

Racism needs stamped out, should be sitting out the remainder of the season.
User avatar
inactionman
Posts: 1454
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:25 pm

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by inactionman »

earl the beaver wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:11 pm Racism needs stamped out, should be sitting out the remainder of the season.
Agree with first part, not entirely sold on second.

I'm not usually one for chairman Mao style re-education, but I do think actually getting the transgressor to think through and fundamentally address their behaviour is better than doing something purely pour encourager les autres
User avatar
Ghost-Of-Nepia
Posts: 4358
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

CrazyIslander wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:09 am
A very touchy subject, that's why I fekt I should write about it.
Ktistian Inu
Image

You've done a great job with his name, mate!
User avatar
Gavin Duffy
Posts: 17078
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Is 'polynesian' a racist term now? I missed that memo if so.
User avatar
Jerome Manning
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:14 pm

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by Jerome Manning »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:53 pm Is 'polynesian' a racist term now? I missed that memo if so.
Anything that isn't white now is off limits. We have whites and unmentionable.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 32671
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by Ali's Choice »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:53 pm Is 'polynesian' a racist term now? I missed that memo if so.
No it's not. But referring to someone's ethnicity or skin colour in the context of insulting them is still probably a bit racist. For example, if I went up to a white person, who I thought was a cvnt, and called them a "white cvnt" then I'm probably being a bit racist.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 32671
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by Ali's Choice »

Jerome Manning wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:54 pm
Gavin Duffy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:53 pm Is 'polynesian' a racist term now? I missed that memo if so.
Anything that isn't white now is off limits. We have whites and unmentionable.
White Lives Matter?
User avatar
Gavin Duffy
Posts: 17078
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:59 pm
Gavin Duffy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:53 pm Is 'polynesian' a racist term now? I missed that memo if so.
No it's not. But referring to someone's ethnicity or skin colour in the context of insulting them is still probably a bit racist. For example, if I went up to a white person, who I thought was a cvnt, and called them a "white cvnt" then I'm probably being a bit racist.
If a person's white, and a c*nt then calling them a white c*nt seems fine to me. Ditto for any other similar combo.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 32671
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by Ali's Choice »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:03 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:59 pm
Gavin Duffy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:53 pm Is 'polynesian' a racist term now? I missed that memo if so.
No it's not. But referring to someone's ethnicity or skin colour in the context of insulting them is still probably a bit racist. For example, if I went up to a white person, who I thought was a cvnt, and called them a "white cvnt" then I'm probably being a bit racist.
If a person's white, and a c*nt then calling them a white c*nt seems fine to me. Ditto for any other similar combo.
That's interesting. But I'm not sure the majority of people would agree with you. Referring to someone's ethnicity and/or skin colour in the context of insulting them is probably going to come across as being racist.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 32671
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by Ali's Choice »

Jarryd Hayne was arguably always going to end up being involved in organised crime, given his inherent stupidity and the fact that he has always hung around with OMC bikies and drug lords. But this prison sentence now confirms that. He'll be safe in prison because he has gang connections.
grievous
Posts: 12992
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Tahstown

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by grievous »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:18 am Jarryd Hayne was arguably always going to end up being involved in organised crime, given his inherent stupidity and the fact that he has always hung around with OMC bikies and drug lords.
and a loige player
User avatar
Ted.
Posts: 18737
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by Ted. »

Jerome Manning wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:54 pm
Gavin Duffy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:53 pm Is 'polynesian' a racist term now? I missed that memo if so.
Anything that isn't white now is off limits. We have whites and unmentionable.
I take it you didn't put a whole lot of thought into that post and now wish to withdraw it or explain your error?
User avatar
Jerome Manning
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:14 pm

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by Jerome Manning »

Ted. wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:51 am
Jerome Manning wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:54 pm
Gavin Duffy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:53 pm Is 'polynesian' a racist term now? I missed that memo if so.
Anything that isn't white now is off limits. We have whites and unmentionable.
I take it you didn't put a whole lot of thought into that post and now wish to withdraw it or explain your error?
I was slightly taking the piss. But yeah, people don't have reading comprehension skills.
User avatar
Jerome Manning
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:14 pm

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by Jerome Manning »

Jesus if I legitimately held that view I wouldn't post it here. ffs.
User avatar
Working Class Rugger
Posts: 4126
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA plum!!!

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by Working Class Rugger »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:03 am Sadly proving that they were not really expected to go to any lessons apart from sport at school :nod:
Well, having gone to a prominent League nursery they did. They just weren't expected to actually listen or learn anything. Which many didn't.
User avatar
Shrekles
Posts: 4541
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by Shrekles »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:03 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:59 pm
Gavin Duffy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:53 pm Is 'polynesian' a racist term now? I missed that memo if so.
No it's not. But referring to someone's ethnicity or skin colour in the context of insulting them is still probably a bit racist. For example, if I went up to a white person, who I thought was a cvnt, and called them a "white cvnt" then I'm probably being a bit racist.
If a person's white, and a c*nt then calling them a white c*nt seems fine to me. Ditto for any other similar combo.
Are they a can’t because of the colour of their skin? If you think so you are racist. If you include their race when it is irrelevant you are a racist. If their race is irrelevant just call them a can’t.
User avatar
Auckman
Posts: 9605
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sydney Town

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by Auckman »

Hayne and his supporters come across as very entitled. I’ve seen some gold medal victim-blaming whingefests online since his demise.
User avatar
Ted.
Posts: 18737
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by Ted. »

Jerome Manning wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:04 am Jesus if I legitimately held that view I wouldn't post it here. ffs.
It's obviously your view and you may feel it is legitimate, but it is rank whaboutry and attempted deflection from the issues being discussed (look at poor, hard done by, me/over there/away from the topic). Nor is it true.
User avatar
Tehui
Posts: 16641
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by Tehui »

What a sad story. And only 2 pages into this thread, I see a few posters have decided to act like cunts.
obelixtim
Posts: 6354
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by obelixtim »

Tehui wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:49 am What a sad story. And only 2 pages into this thread, I see a few posters have decided to act like cunts.
Taking their cue from Hayne and his mates...
User avatar
MungoMan
Posts: 14410
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Coalfalls

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by MungoMan »

Tehui wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:49 am What a sad story. And only 2 pages into this thread, I see a few posters have decided to act like cunts.
It surprised me a bit.

I thought we would have been there halfway thru’ page one.
User avatar
True Blue
Posts: 12060
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by True Blue »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:53 pm Is 'polynesian' a racist term now? I missed that memo if so.
Preceding it with "stupid" makes it so and you know it. Would "stupid jew" be racist?
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 32671
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by Ali's Choice »

It seems that Tony Williams has apologised for his pro-Hayne social media posts, after being told off by his mum. I can't imagine Mumma T-Rex is a small woman.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-can- ... 57q3k.html
User avatar
True Blue
Posts: 12060
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by True Blue »

And Manu Vatuvei facing a very long jail term also for drug dealing and importing meth. NRL really does seem to attract some unsavory people.
User avatar
Tehui
Posts: 16641
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by Tehui »

True Blue wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:58 am And Manu Vatuvei facing a very long jail term also for drug dealing and importing meth. NRL really does seem to attract some unsavory people.
There have been a few incidents in the last few years of pro rugby players assaulting women. Does this encapsulate Rugby?
User avatar
koroke hangareka
Posts: 3286
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by koroke hangareka »

Tehui wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:05 am
True Blue wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:58 am And Manu Vatuvei facing a very long jail term also for drug dealing and importing meth. NRL really does seem to attract some unsavory people.
There have been a few incidents in the last few years of pro rugby players assaulting women. Does this encapsulate Rugby?
Yes.

Yes it does.
User avatar
Auckman
Posts: 9605
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sydney Town

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by Auckman »

True Blue wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:58 am And Manu Vatuvei facing a very long jail term also for drug dealing and importing meth. NRL really does seem to attract some unsavory people.
Is that finally out is it? Heard the rumours a few years back. Silly boy.
User avatar
booji boy
Posts: 9721
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by booji boy »

Auckman wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:37 am
True Blue wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:58 am And Manu Vatuvei facing a very long jail term also for drug dealing and importing meth. NRL really does seem to attract some unsavory people.
Is that finally out is it? Heard the rumours a few years back. Silly boy.
Yeah he fessed up last week on Instagram. Was losing the battle over name suppression so decided to front foot it.
User avatar
The Optimist
Posts: 5382
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Chukity - puck!!!

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by The Optimist »

Auckman wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:40 am Hayne and his supporters come across as very entitled. I’ve seen some gold medal victim-blaming whingefests online since his demise.

This.
Heymans
Posts: 2803
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by Heymans »

booji boy wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:14 am
Auckman wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:37 am
True Blue wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:58 am And Manu Vatuvei facing a very long jail term also for drug dealing and importing meth. NRL really does seem to attract some unsavory people.
Is that finally out is it? Heard the rumours a few years back. Silly boy.
Yeah he fessed up last week on Instagram. Was losing the battle over name suppression so decided to front foot it.
Why do people do stuff lik this? He couldn't just score tries by running straight for 5 yards, had to import meth. How stupid can you be really...
User avatar
Tehui
Posts: 16641
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by Tehui »

Heymans wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:48 am
booji boy wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:14 am
Auckman wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:37 am
True Blue wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:58 am And Manu Vatuvei facing a very long jail term also for drug dealing and importing meth. NRL really does seem to attract some unsavory people.
Is that finally out is it? Heard the rumours a few years back. Silly boy.
Yeah he fessed up last week on Instagram. Was losing the battle over name suppression so decided to front foot it.
Why do people do stuff lik this? He couldn't just score tries by running straight for 5 yards, had to import meth. How stupid can you be really...
Greed. $
obelixtim
Posts: 6354
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by obelixtim »

Heymans wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:48 am
booji boy wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:14 am
Auckman wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:37 am
True Blue wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:58 am And Manu Vatuvei facing a very long jail term also for drug dealing and importing meth. NRL really does seem to attract some unsavory people.
Is that finally out is it? Heard the rumours a few years back. Silly boy.
Yeah he fessed up last week on Instagram. Was losing the battle over name suppression so decided to front foot it.
Why do people do stuff lik this? He couldn't just score tries by running straight for 5 yards, had to import meth. How stupid can you be really...
Wasn't Joseph Parkers name mentioned when this was being investigated? MV hasn't gone to court yet, has he?
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 33461
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by eldanielfire »

True Blue wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:46 am
Gavin Duffy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:53 pm Is 'polynesian' a racist term now? I missed that memo if so.
Preceding it with "stupid" makes it so and you know it. Would "stupid jew" be racist?
This! His ethnicity is irrelevant, why make it an issue on an individuals actions. It's clearly racist.
User avatar
booji boy
Posts: 9721
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by booji boy »

eldanielfire wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:39 am
True Blue wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:46 am
Gavin Duffy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:53 pm Is 'polynesian' a racist term now? I missed that memo if so.
Preceding it with "stupid" makes it so and you know it. Would "stupid jew" be racist?
This! His ethnicity is irrelevant, why make it an issue on an individuals actions. It's clearly racist.
So if I came to England to play rugby and in the heat of battle someone called me a "stupid Kiwi cunt!" is that racist?
User avatar
Bogbunny
Posts: 5623
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: G W C

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by Bogbunny »

booji boy wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:04 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:39 am
True Blue wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:46 am
Gavin Duffy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:53 pm Is 'polynesian' a racist term now? I missed that memo if so.
Preceding it with "stupid" makes it so and you know it. Would "stupid jew" be racist?
This! His ethnicity is irrelevant, why make it an issue on an individuals actions. It's clearly racist.
So if I came to England to play rugby and in the heat of battle someone called me a "stupid Kiwi cunt!" is that racist?
If it 100% correct, can it be?
Eugenius
Posts: 570
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:05 am

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by Eugenius »

Last time I looked ‘Kiwi’ wasn’t a race ( or rather single ethnicity) , so no.
User avatar
wamberal
Posts: 1388
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by wamberal »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:59 pm
Gavin Duffy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:53 pm Is 'polynesian' a racist term now? I missed that memo if so.
No it's not. But referring to someone's ethnicity or skin colour in the context of insulting them is still probably a bit racist. For example, if I went up to a white person, who I thought was a cvnt, and called them a "white cvnt" then I'm probably being a bit racist.
I think it is a bit more complicated than that. Given that "whiteness" has been seen as the most desirable ethnicity by the establishment and their hangers-on for centuries, calling somebody a white c--t is nowhere near as potentially insulting as calling somebody a black c--t. Calling somebody a black (choose your own noun) has always been an insult until very very recently in Australia, I am sorry to say.

I remember the days when the expression "you're a real white man" or "that's a white thing to do" was a compliment given when somebody did something generously or selflessly.
User avatar
UncleFB
Posts: 14092
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by UncleFB »

booji boy wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:04 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:39 am
True Blue wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:46 am
Gavin Duffy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:53 pm Is 'polynesian' a racist term now? I missed that memo if so.
Preceding it with "stupid" makes it so and you know it. Would "stupid jew" be racist?
This! His ethnicity is irrelevant, why make it an issue on an individuals actions. It's clearly racist.
So if I came to England to play rugby and in the heat of battle someone called me a "stupid Kiwi cunt!" is that racist?
Would it be nation-ist?
User avatar
MungoMan
Posts: 14410
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Coalfalls

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by MungoMan »

wamberal wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:14 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:59 pm
Gavin Duffy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:53 pm Is 'polynesian' a racist term now? I missed that memo if so.
No it's not. But referring to someone's ethnicity or skin colour in the context of insulting them is still probably a bit racist. For example, if I went up to a white person, who I thought was a cvnt, and called them a "white cvnt" then I'm probably being a bit racist.
I think it is a bit more complicated than that. Given that "whiteness" has been seen as the most desirable ethnicity by the establishment and their hangers-on for centuries, calling somebody a white c--t is nowhere near as potentially insulting as calling somebody a black c--t. Calling somebody a black (choose your own noun) has always been an insult until very very recently in Australia, I am sorry to say.
And still is of course, altho’ no longer an unacceptable insult. (Which, I am guessing, is your point).

That said, calling someone a ‘black ~’ has got sportsfolk in strife here going back a few years. Some time in the early ‘00s, Barry Murphy of the Bulldogs RL team got a few weeks off for ‘black bastard’.

I can’t recall any media outlet quoting him in full, tho’; the full version being, according to Deb Spillane, ‘Who are you calling a fat cvnt you black bastard’. :lol:
Post Reply