Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

All things Rugby
inactionman

Re: Jarryd Hayne sent to prison

Post by inactionman »

Different hemisphere and different specific subject, but still on topic of misbehaviour in league and I'm lazy so thought I'd drop it here.

Wigan's Tony Chubb has been given an 8-week ban for calling Andre Savelio a 'stupid Polynesian bastard', and quite a few in league think it's not a long enough ban.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... cist-abuse

I'd have said an 8-week ban was pretty significant, and sends a message very clearly that it's not acceptable, but it seems that many think it's lip service - Savelio's coach Brett Hodgson also on record saying it's too lenient. I'm not quite sure where my barometer for this sort of offence is set - although I do think it's the sort of offence that might benefit from some training/remedial action rather than just a ban, which is why just upping ban length isn't something I see as particularly productive - so interested in opinions.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

Racism needs stamped out, should be sitting out the remainder of the season.
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

earl the beaver wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:11 pm Racism needs stamped out, should be sitting out the remainder of the season.
Agree with first part, not entirely sold on second.

I'm not usually one for chairman Mao style re-education, but I do think actually getting the transgressor to think through and fundamentally address their behaviour is better than doing something purely pour encourager les autres
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

CrazyIslander wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:09 am
A very touchy subject, that's why I fekt I should write about it.
Ktistian Inu

You've done a great job with his name, mate!
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Is 'polynesian' a racist term now? I missed that memo if so.
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:53 pm Is 'polynesian' a racist term now? I missed that memo if so.
Anything that isn't white now is off limits. We have whites and unmentionable.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:53 pm Is 'polynesian' a racist term now? I missed that memo if so.
No it's not. But referring to someone's ethnicity or skin colour in the context of insulting them is still probably a bit racist. For example, if I went up to a white person, who I thought was a cvnt, and called them a "white cvnt" then I'm probably being a bit racist.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Jerome Manning wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:54 pm
White Lives Matter?
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:59 pm
No it's not. But referring to someone's ethnicity or skin colour in the context of insulting them is still probably a bit racist. For example, if I went up to a white person, who I thought was a cvnt, and called them a "white cvnt" then I'm probably being a bit racist.
If a person's white, and a c*nt then calling them a white c*nt seems fine to me. Ditto for any other similar combo.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:03 pm
If a person's white, and a c*nt then calling them a white c*nt seems fine to me. Ditto for any other similar combo.
That's interesting. But I'm not sure the majority of people would agree with you. Referring to someone's ethnicity and/or skin colour in the context of insulting them is probably going to come across as being racist.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Jarryd Hayne was arguably always going to end up being involved in organised crime, given his inherent stupidity and the fact that he has always hung around with OMC bikies and drug lords. But this prison sentence now confirms that. He'll be safe in prison because he has gang connections.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:18 am Jarryd Hayne was arguably always going to end up being involved in organised crime, given his inherent stupidity and the fact that he has always hung around with OMC bikies and drug lords.
and a loige player
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

I take it you didn't put a whole lot of thought into that post and now wish to withdraw it or explain your error?
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

Ted. wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:51 am
I take it you didn't put a whole lot of thought into that post and now wish to withdraw it or explain your error?
I was slightly taking the piss. But yeah, people don't have reading comprehension skills.
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

Jesus if I legitimately held that view I wouldn't post it here. ffs.
Working Class Rugger

Post by Working Class Rugger »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:03 am Sadly proving that they were not really expected to go to any lessons apart from sport at school :nod:
Well, having gone to a prominent League nursery they did. They just weren't expected to actually listen or learn anything. Which many didn't.
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:03 pm
Are they a can’t because of the colour of their skin? If you think so you are racist. If you include their race when it is irrelevant you are a racist. If their race is irrelevant just call them a can’t.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Hayne and his supporters come across as very entitled. I’ve seen some gold medal victim-blaming whingefests online since his demise.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Jerome Manning wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:04 am Jesus if I legitimately held that view I wouldn't post it here. ffs.
It's obviously your view and you may feel it is legitimate, but it is rank whaboutry and attempted deflection from the issues being discussed (look at poor, hard done by, me/over there/away from the topic). Nor is it true.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

What a sad story. And only 2 pages into this thread, I see a few posters have decided to act like cunts.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Tehui wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:49 am What a sad story. And only 2 pages into this thread, I see a few posters have decided to act like cunts.
Taking their cue from Hayne and his mates...
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Tehui wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:49 am What a sad story. And only 2 pages into this thread, I see a few posters have decided to act like cunts.
It surprised me a bit.

I thought we would have been there halfway thru’ page one.
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

Preceding it with "stupid" makes it so and you know it. Would "stupid jew" be racist?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

It seems that Tony Williams has apologised for his pro-Hayne social media posts, after being told off by his mum. I can't imagine Mumma T-Rex is a small woman.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-can- ... 57q3k.html
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

And Manu Vatuvei facing a very long jail term also for drug dealing and importing meth. NRL really does seem to attract some unsavory people.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

True Blue wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:58 am And Manu Vatuvei facing a very long jail term also for drug dealing and importing meth. NRL really does seem to attract some unsavory people.
There have been a few incidents in the last few years of pro rugby players assaulting women. Does this encapsulate Rugby?
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

Tehui wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:05 am
True Blue wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:58 am And Manu Vatuvei facing a very long jail term also for drug dealing and importing meth. NRL really does seem to attract some unsavory people.
There have been a few incidents in the last few years of pro rugby players assaulting women. Does this encapsulate Rugby?
Yes.

Yes it does.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Is that finally out is it? Heard the rumours a few years back. Silly boy.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Auckman wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:37 am
Yeah he fessed up last week on Instagram. Was losing the battle over name suppression so decided to front foot it.
The Optimist

Post by The Optimist »

Auckman wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:40 am Hayne and his supporters come across as very entitled. I’ve seen some gold medal victim-blaming whingefests online since his demise.

This.
Heymans

Post by Heymans »

booji boy wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:14 am
Yeah he fessed up last week on Instagram. Was losing the battle over name suppression so decided to front foot it.
Why do people do stuff lik this? He couldn't just score tries by running straight for 5 yards, had to import meth. How stupid can you be really...
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Heymans wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:48 am
Why do people do stuff lik this? He couldn't just score tries by running straight for 5 yards, had to import meth. How stupid can you be really...
Greed. $
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Heymans wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:48 am
Wasn't Joseph Parkers name mentioned when this was being investigated? MV hasn't gone to court yet, has he?
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

True Blue wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:46 am
Preceding it with "stupid" makes it so and you know it. Would "stupid jew" be racist?
This! His ethnicity is irrelevant, why make it an issue on an individuals actions. It's clearly racist.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

eldanielfire wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:39 am
This! His ethnicity is irrelevant, why make it an issue on an individuals actions. It's clearly racist.
So if I came to England to play rugby and in the heat of battle someone called me a "stupid Kiwi cunt!" is that racist?
Bogbunny

Post by Bogbunny »

booji boy wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:04 pm
So if I came to England to play rugby and in the heat of battle someone called me a "stupid Kiwi cunt!" is that racist?
If it 100% correct, can it be?
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Last time I looked ‘Kiwi’ wasn’t a race ( or rather single ethnicity) , so no.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

I think it is a bit more complicated than that. Given that "whiteness" has been seen as the most desirable ethnicity by the establishment and their hangers-on for centuries, calling somebody a white c--t is nowhere near as potentially insulting as calling somebody a black c--t. Calling somebody a black (choose your own noun) has always been an insult until very very recently in Australia, I am sorry to say.

I remember the days when the expression "you're a real white man" or "that's a white thing to do" was a compliment given when somebody did something generously or selflessly.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

booji boy wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:04 pm
Would it be nation-ist?
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

wamberal wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:14 pm
I think it is a bit more complicated than that. Given that "whiteness" has been seen as the most desirable ethnicity by the establishment and their hangers-on for centuries, calling somebody a white c--t is nowhere near as potentially insulting as calling somebody a black c--t. Calling somebody a black (choose your own noun) has always been an insult until very very recently in Australia, I am sorry to say.
And still is of course, altho’ no longer an unacceptable insult. (Which, I am guessing, is your point).

That said, calling someone a ‘black ~’ has got sportsfolk in strife here going back a few years. Some time in the early ‘00s, Barry Murphy of the Bulldogs RL team got a few weeks off for ‘black bastard’.

I can’t recall any media outlet quoting him in full, tho’; the full version being, according to Deb Spillane, ‘Who are you calling a fat cvnt you black bastard’. :lol: