Wallabies v France July Tests

All things Rugby
User avatar
kiap
Posts: 20539
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies v France July Tests

Post by kiap »

La soule wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:48 pm
TheFrog wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:41 pm ... they are contemplating not taking the Top 14 finalists on tour, so that is at least Toulouse gone and may be La Rochelle or Bordeaux.

On top of this, they seem to be enclined to let Dupont, Ollivon, Aldritt or Fickou take a break and regardless of when their clubs end their seasons, they will not go on the tour...
Thanks. We will still win ;)
How may tests will they win - maybe one, or even zero?
La soule
Posts: 9827
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies v France July Tests

Post by La soule »

kiap wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:32 pm
La soule wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:48 pm
TheFrog wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:41 pm ... they are contemplating not taking the Top 14 finalists on tour, so that is at least Toulouse gone and may be La Rochelle or Bordeaux.

On top of this, they seem to be enclined to let Dupont, Ollivon, Aldritt or Fickou take a break and regardless of when their clubs end their seasons, they will not go on the tour...
Thanks. We will still win ;)
How may tests will they win - maybe one, or even zero?
I hope at least 2.
User avatar
TheFrog
Posts: 14131
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies v France July Tests

Post by TheFrog »

The important thing is that it will give some of the kids who stand in the shadows of the front starters an opportunity to show their worth and confirm the good showing of France C team against England last autumn.
towny
Posts: 21673
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies v France July Tests

Post by towny »

La soule wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:07 am
kiap wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:32 pm
La soule wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:48 pm
TheFrog wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:41 pm ... they are contemplating not taking the Top 14 finalists on tour, so that is at least Toulouse gone and may be La Rochelle or Bordeaux.

On top of this, they seem to be enclined to let Dupont, Ollivon, Aldritt or Fickou take a break and regardless of when their clubs end their seasons, they will not go on the tour...
Thanks. We will still win ;)
How may tests will they win - maybe one, or even zero?
I hope at least 2.
I like the confidence. 👍
towny
Posts: 21673
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies v France July Tests

Post by towny »

Keen to know if any Frenchies have seen any Oz rugby this year, and if so, what their thoughts might be on the standard.

Be kind though….
User avatar
TheFrog
Posts: 14131
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies v France July Tests

Post by TheFrog »

towny wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:34 pm Keen to know if any Frenchies have seen any Oz rugby this year, and if so, what their thoughts might be on the standard.

Be kind though….
The only games I watched were the two games against Argentina. I thought there was a lot of attacking potential but wasted by a lack of direction.

But I think both the Pumas and Australia are better than France today.
towny
Posts: 21673
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies v France July Tests

Post by towny »

TheFrog wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:30 pm
towny wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:34 pm Keen to know if any Frenchies have seen any Oz rugby this year, and if so, what their thoughts might be on the standard.

Be kind though….
The only games I watched were the two games against Argentina. I thought there was a lot of attacking potential but wasted by a lack of direction.

But I think both the Pumas and Australia are better than France today.
I don’t know about better. I agreed with the rest of your observations. We’ve got some great athletes and they work hard, but ‘lacking direction’ is definitely an apt criticism.
La soule
Posts: 9827
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies v France July Tests

Post by La soule »

Skelton is quite player up here.

Very physical, full on for 80 minutes, Australia offers quite a challenge in every contest situations. It willl be quite a battle.
towny
Posts: 21673
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies v France July Tests

Post by towny »

La soule wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:56 pm Skelton is quite player up here.

Very physical, full on for 80 minutes, Australia offers quite a challenge in every contest situations. It willl be quite a battle.
I’m glad the big fella is going well. What did you think of
Sitaleki Timani?
User avatar
TheFrog
Posts: 14131
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies v France July Tests

Post by TheFrog »

towny wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:50 pm
La soule wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:56 pm Skelton is quite player up here.

Very physical, full on for 80 minutes, Australia offers quite a challenge in every contest situations. It willl be quite a battle.
I’m glad the big fella is going well. What did you think of
Sitaleki Timani?
Solid but didn't make as much of an impact for his club as Skelton did. Was often a sub.
User avatar
Ellafan
Posts: 5712
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies v France July Tests

Post by Ellafan »

La soule wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:56 pm Skelton is quite player up here.

Very physical, full on for 80 minutes, Australia offers quite a challenge in every contest situations. It willl be quite a battle.
Has he trimmed down and increased his mobility?

Unfortunately he is not selectable (unless they give Rennie a couple of free O/S selections).
towny
Posts: 21673
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies v France July Tests

Post by towny »

Ellafan wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:14 am
La soule wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:56 pm Skelton is quite player up here.

Very physical, full on for 80 minutes, Australia offers quite a challenge in every contest situations. It willl be quite a battle.
Has he trimmed down and increased his mobility?

Unfortunately he is not selectable (unless they give Rennie a couple of free O/S selections).
Has he really? I saw him he other day and he looked like a 7' jellybean. Every kilo he lost at Saracens has been returned with interest. He's now got one of those fat faces where it's hard to see if he's smiling or laughing.

You'd know this if you watched rugby....
towny
Posts: 21673
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies v France July Tests

Post by towny »

TheFrog wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:56 am
towny wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:50 pm
La soule wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:56 pm Skelton is quite player up here.

Very physical, full on for 80 minutes, Australia offers quite a challenge in every contest situations. It willl be quite a battle.
I’m glad the big fella is going well. What did you think of
Sitaleki Timani?
Solid but didn't make as much of an impact for his club as Skelton did. Was often a sub.
Cheers! Skelton is such a great athlete and always has ridiculous potential. I hope we see him back in Oz - apparently he's signed a 2 year deal so there's a chance he could be back next year if he wants it.
User avatar
Ellafan
Posts: 5712
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wallabies v France July Tests

Post by Ellafan »

towny wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:38 am
Ellafan wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:14 am
La soule wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:56 pm Skelton is quite player up here.

Very physical, full on for 80 minutes, Australia offers quite a challenge in every contest situations. It willl be quite a battle.
Has he trimmed down and increased his mobility?

Unfortunately he is not selectable (unless they give Rennie a couple of free O/S selections).
Has he really? I saw him he other day and he looked like a 7' jellybean. Every kilo he lost at Saracens has been returned with interest. He's now got one of those fat faces where it's hard to see if he's smiling or laughing.

You'd know this if you watched rugby....
In accordance with your anti-Murdoch stance I deleted foxtel.

Now I watch Aus, NZ and Japan rugby on Stan.

I feel much cleaner.

Anyway, Rennie said he is not in favour of picking blokes from o/s.
towny
Posts: 21673
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies v France July Tests

Post by towny »

Ellafan wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:14 pm
towny wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:38 am
Ellafan wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:14 am
La soule wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:56 pm Skelton is quite player up here.

Very physical, full on for 80 minutes, Australia offers quite a challenge in every contest situations. It willl be quite a battle.
Has he trimmed down and increased his mobility?

Unfortunately he is not selectable (unless they give Rennie a couple of free O/S selections).
Has he really? I saw him he other day and he looked like a 7' jellybean. Every kilo he lost at Saracens has been returned with interest. He's now got one of those fat faces where it's hard to see if he's smiling or laughing.

You'd know this if you watched rugby....
In accordance with your anti-Murdoch stance I deleted foxtel.

:thumbup:

I watched the highlights on youtube. It looks just like his highschool highlight reel - bullying little white kids; however these ones apparently all play for Ireland. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhViKbsG3pk
User avatar
Olo
Posts: 6262
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: Lutra

Re: Wallabies v France July Tests

Post by Olo »

It would be nice to have him on deck but he is not worth a special call up. Hes had his chances and obviously does not want to be here playing for the Wobs, which is fair enough BTW.
towny
Posts: 21673
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wallabies v France July Tests

Post by towny »

Olo wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:05 pm It would be nice to have him on deck but he is not worth a special call up. Hes had his chances and obviously does not want to be here playing for the Wobs, which is fair enough BTW.
+1
He's not out of scope yet - he's 28 or so.
He would require a rejig in the backrow. He might pack in the second row but someone in the backrow is necessarily going to be a good lineout operator and the other lock would have to be excellent at the set piece, which probably rules out the likes of LSL; however there's Philip, Hosea, Swain, Neville and Rodda. It's notable that the Brumbies lost a crucial lineout when Neville was off the park the other night.
It might mean you can't have Valetini and Wilson in the backrow, but there are some others who could come into the equation - Anstee, Uru, Will Harris? The role Skelton seems to have is similar to Valetini and I'm not all that sure he can do it better to the younger, fitter faster monster.

It's challenging to have a player in the squad whose selection necessitates multiple other changes. If I ran RA I would want him back but I'm not sure I could prioritise his signing. Not with so many promising young kids coming through who are going to need big increases in their deals.
User avatar
MungoMan
Posts: 14375
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Coalfalls

Re: Wallabies v France July Tests

Post by MungoMan »

towny wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:26 pm
Ellafan wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:14 pm
towny wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:38 am
Ellafan wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:14 am
La soule wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:56 pm Skelton is quite player up here.

Very physical, full on for 80 minutes, Australia offers quite a challenge in every contest situations. It willl be quite a battle.
Has he trimmed down and increased his mobility?

Unfortunately he is not selectable (unless they give Rennie a couple of free O/S selections).
Has he really? I saw him he other day and he looked like a 7' jellybean. Every kilo he lost at Saracens has been returned with interest. He's now got one of those fat faces where it's hard to see if he's smiling or laughing.

You'd know this if you watched rugby....
In accordance with your anti-Murdoch stance I deleted foxtel.

:thumbup:

I watched the highlights on youtube. It looks just like his highschool highlight reel - bullying little white kids; however these ones apparently all play for Ireland. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhViKbsG3pk
0.27ish - a marvellous still for Up the Arse Corner
User avatar
Thomas
Posts: 17444
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA!

Re: Wallabies v France July Tests

Post by Thomas »

Olo wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:05 pm It would be nice to have him on deck but he is not worth a special call up. Hes had his chances and obviously does not want to be here playing for the Wobs, which is fair enough BTW.
I don't want him.
Post Reply