Trans Tasman Comp will be best comp

All things Rugby
shanky

Re: Trans Tasman Comp will be best comp

Post by shanky »

jdogscoop wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:44 pm QQ: Sydneysiders, does anyone refer to the SCG as the G?

I'd have thought that was even shorter hand for the MCG only.

I suspect Knowler doesn't get out much.
Nah. It’s always been the SCG or maybe ‘the cricket ground’

The leaguies always wank themselves stupid about the ‘tradition’ of playing there, but the truth is, it’s a god-awful place to watch footy.
Last edited by shanky on Thu May 13, 2021 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Masterji

Post by Masterji »

Anyone showing it in the UK?
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

jdogscoop wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:44 pm QQ: Sydneysiders, does anyone refer to the SCG as the G?

I expect a Swans or Cricket fan may correct me, but Rugby fans usually refer to it as "oh fudge that"
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Masterji wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:28 pm Anyone showing it in the UK?
RugbyPass.

Or VPN onto Stan.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

shanky wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:27 pm

The leaguies always wank themselves stupid about the ‘tradition’ of playing there, but the truth is, it’s a god-awful place to watch footy.
Yeah, rugby on a cricket ground tends to be a fairly shite viewer experience. As I discovered at the G in 2007.
Last edited by jdogscoop on Fri May 14, 2021 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:28 pm This is going to be humiliating for Aussie
Good news for Aussie is the Reds were not quite humiliated but it should get worse.
handyman

Post by handyman »

So the 4th placed Kiwi team (2 points from bottom) hammered the 1st placed Aussie team? Look, any rugby between different nationalities should be celebrated these days, but how long before people lose interest?
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

handyman wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:30 am So the 4th placed Kiwi team (2 points from bottom) hammered the 1st placed Aussie team? Look, any rugby between different nationalities should be celebrated these days, but how long before people lose interest?
Hopefully the Aussies will bring in loads of Argies
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

There's a theme here.

Fans of pedestrian domestic leagues (the English) or those that are non-existent (Saffas) bagging the free-flowing games of code being played in front of crowds (!) in Australia and New Zealand.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Without a doubt...Im so against the place for rugby Im attending the French test in Brisbane over the SCG, I just wont watch rugby there ever again. Better atmosphere at The Domain in the dark.
grievous

Post by grievous »

jdogscoop wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:51 am

Yeah, rugby on a cricket ground tends to be a fairly shite viewer experience. As I discovered at the G in 2007.
Did that and Subiaco several times RIP, Adelaide Oval x(
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

jdogscoop wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:29 pm There's a theme here.

Fans of pedestrian domestic leagues (the English) or those that are non-existent (Saffas) bagging the free-flowing games of code being played in front of crowds (!) in Australia and New Zealand.
You keep having a go at the English league in your weird defence of the competitiveness of Australian sides against New Zealand sides. It's bizarre. I might add the terrible English league has produced a team that has beaten the Australian side the last 7 times they have played.

To many Aussie teams not enough talent for them to be competitive against the kiwi teams
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

I also made the mistake of going to a State of Mungo match at AAMI Park when my heart wasn't in it. The best bit was queuing for and receiving beer.

Much like test matches in Australia not featuring the All Blacks, never again.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:56 pm

You keep having a go at the English league in your weird defence of the competitiveness of Australian sides against New Zealand sides. It's bizarre. I might add the terrible English league has produced a team that has beaten the Australian side the last 7 times they have played.

To many Aussie teams not enough talent for them to be competitive against the kiwi teams
I used to live in the UK and went to a few English Premiership rugby games paid for by host companies.

With the sole exception of a Bath game at the Rec ground (mostly thanks to beers and the unique setting) they were dull, dull, dull.

I'm just comparing apples with apples. Our domestic league is great, and the Aussies' isn't bad either. Yours is shit.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

jdogscoop wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:59 pm

I used to live in the UK and went to a few English Premiership rugby games paid for by host companies.

With the sole exception of a Bath game at the Rec ground (mostly thanks to beers and the unique setting) they were dull, dull, dull.

I'm just comparing apples with apples. Our domestic league is great, and the Aussies' isn't bad either. Yours is shit.
grievous

Post by grievous »

jdogscoop wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:57 pm I also made the mistake of going to a State of Mungo match at AAMI Park when my heart wasn't in it. The best bit was queuing for and receiving beer.

Yes you did.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

grievous wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:05 pm
jdogscoop wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:57 pm I also made the mistake of going to a State of Mungo match at AAMI Park when my heart wasn't in it. The best bit was queuing for and receiving beer.

Yes you did.
A workmate talked me into it, against my better judgement (Ooh er). I believe it was the first ever game played at AAMI Park, which was an inauspicious beginning at a stadium I have since spent a lot of time in.
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

jdog just has not been the same since the ABs were thumped out of the 2019 World Cup by an average Pom team. Now he is projecting
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Big Nipper wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:57 pm

jdog just has not been the same since the ABs were thumped out of the 2019 World Cup by an average Pom team. Now he is projecting
The average Pom team played you. The shit hot Pom team played us. The average South African team played both us (lost) and them (won).

Do keep up.

No complaints of course. That's the nature of World Cup Rugby.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

handyman wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:30 am So the 4th placed Kiwi team (2 points from bottom) hammered the 1st placed Aussie team? Look, any rugby between different nationalities should be celebrated these days, but how long before people lose interest?
Not quite 3am kickoffs against shit Saffer teams to lose interest over, but I don’t watch much of this level anymore.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Look at the shameless South African trolls on this thread, desperate for our attention. Desperate to stay relevant. You've been kicked out of Super Rugby. We don't like you and we don't need you. Enjoy playing against Zebre, Benetton and Scarlets in the Pro 19.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Well, the first 2 games were shit.

To be fair, the games from the NH are better viewing than what we got last night (but I did enjoy the comparatively fewer scrums - more of that please)
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Enzedder wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:52 pm Well, the first 2 games were shit.

To be fair, the games from the NH are better viewing than what we got last night (but I did enjoy the comparatively fewer scrums - more of that please)
Strange comment. I really enjoyed the Highlanders vs Reds game. And the Waratahs vs Canes didn't have a great atmosphere, but that's partly due to playing in the soulless SCG.

You prefer watching the NH games played in empty stadiums?
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Apparently the Reds rested a whole lot of players for thier game. What were they saving themselves up for? :lol:
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Muttonbirds wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:09 pm Apparently the Reds rested a whole lot of players for thier game. What were they saving themselves up for? :lol:
They'd just had a mammoth final that Saturday night prior.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Muttonbirds wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:09 pm Apparently the Reds rested a whole lot of players for thier game. What were they saving themselves up for? :lol:
Highlanders unavailable due to injury: Daniel Lienert-Brown (arm), Josh Ioane (leg), Jeff Thwaites (leg)

Season ending injuries: Jermaine Ainsley (ankle), Fetuli Paea (ankle), Freedom Vaahakalo (foot), Folau Fakatava (knee), Thomas Umaga-Jensen (wrist), Connor Garden-Bachop (hand), Liam Squire (knee) Marino Mikaele Tu’u (leg), Caleb Makene (leg), Josh Timu (ankle)
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Zakar wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:18 pm
It's not worth the effort mate. The Big Swinging Dick narrative has to include the Reds being pathetic.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

I wrote extensively about how poorly organised this comp was to be scheduled to start a week after the respective SR Aotearoa and Super Rugby AU finals. We will need to see how the Crusaders, Chiefs ad Brumbies fare before we can accurately assess where the Reds are at; it's common sense that all teams will struggle with training and recovery this week after playing in finals last weekend.

In saying that, I think its worth questioning why fully-professional Rugby teams need to get drunk after playing in a final? That's something I'd expect from an amateur club team. I was watching an interview with the Campbell sisters (Australian Olympic swimmers) a while back and I was struck when they said they don't touch a drop of alcohol for the entire swim season as it interferes with their recovery and training too much. If they are able to resist getting drunk why cannot Rugby players, especially given that they earn a pittance compared to what pro Rugby players do? The culture of getting drunk after games is pretty pathetic and would not be contemplated by many athletes in other sports.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Did that my first year in Oz, still rates as one of the most wastest nights I have had!

Along with yers back I went to Loig test between NZ and Aus at Athletic park, I was wondering why I got talked into it, and fella that talked me into going was trying to blame whoever told him it would be a great day!
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:31 pm I wrote extensively about how poorly organised this comp was to be scheduled to start a week after the respective SR Aotearoa and Super Rugby AU finals. We will need to see how the Crusaders, Chiefs ad Brumbies fare before we can accurately assess where the Reds are at; it's common sense that all teams will struggle with training and recovery this week after playing in finals last weekend.

In saying that, I think its worth questioning why fully-professional Rugby teams need to get drunk after playing in a final? That's something I'd expect from an amateur club team. I was watching an interview with the Campbell sisters (Australian Olympic swimmers) a while back and I was struck when they said they don't touch a drop of alcohol for the entire swim season as it interferes with their recovery and training too much. If they are able to resist getting drunk why cannot Rugby players, especially given that they earn a pittance compared to what pro Rugby players do? The culture of getting drunk after games is pretty pathetic and would not be contemplated by many athletes in other sports.
Amen, can understand mentally being off the pace, but if getting on the piss is an excuse I would be pretty pissed off if I a supporter.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Mammoth final? Surely just the end of the first round. It's only mid-May, ffs, and they want a rest!

AUS rugby is at a very low ebb.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:11 am
Mammoth final? Surely just the end of the first round. It's only mid-May, ffs, and they want a rest!

He shoots!

He misses…. :(

(Aus rugby is in the best health it’s been for ages)
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Big question for me in terms of the comp is, would the result have been much different if the game was played in two weeks at suncorp rather than straight after the final.

I think the reds get up in that scenario although it would be close
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Dan54. wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:10 am Amen, can understand mentally being off the pace, but if getting on the piss is an excuse I would be pretty pissed off if I a supporter.
I cringe every time I hear a Rugby or Rugby League player boast about how 'we are going to enjoy ourselves tonight' during a post-game interview. Or when I see players drinking beers in the dressing room after a win. We will know that Rugby has become a fully professional sport when it is no longer considered normal for players to get drunk together after a match. Because other athletes like, like the elite swimmers I mentioned earlier, simply don't drink during their sports season.

Brad Thorn didn't drink during the season for the majority of his playing career and he credits that for his success. He was a party boy early in his career at the Broncos but it wasn't until he gave away alcohol during the season that his career really flourished. He drank only during the off-season. Similarly, Wyatt Crockett attributes giving up alcohol during the Rugby season as being the reason why he was able to gain All Black selection. He got better with age, going from an average SR prop to a quality test prop. His career and form took off when he stopped drinking after games.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Monkey Magic wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:21 am Big question for me in terms of the comp is, would the result have been much different if the game was played in two weeks at suncorp rather than straight after the final.

I think the reds get up in that scenario although it would be close
Do the Reds need a bye? Too bad, there isn't one. :nod:
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

You are out of the blocks very early considering the Crusaders and Chiefs are yet to play after their final.

Surely a week between tournaments could have been accommodated?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

shanky wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:19 am

He shoots!

He misses…. :(

(Aus rugby is in the best health it’s been for ages)
au contraire.. he scored a direct hit. Right through the last hole he shot in his own foot.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:23 am
Dan54. wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:10 am Amen, can understand mentally being off the pace, but if getting on the piss is an excuse I would be pretty pissed off if I a supporter.
I cringe every time I hear a Rugby or Rugby League player boast about how 'we are going to enjoy ourselves tonight' during a post-game interview. Or when I see players drinking beers in the dressing room after a win. We will know that Rugby has become a fully professional sport when it is no longer considered normal for players to get drunk together after a match. Because other athletes like, like the elite swimmers I mentioned earlier, simply don't drink during their sports season.

Brad Thorn didn't drink during the season for the majority of his playing career and he credits that for his success. He was a party boy early in his career at the Broncos but it wasn't until he gave away alcohol during the season that his career really flourished. He drank only during the off-season. Similarly, Wyatt Crockett attributes giving up alcohol during the Rugby season as being the reason why he was able to gain All Black selection. He got better with age, going from an average SR prop to a quality test prop. His career and form took off when he stopped drinking after games.

I must have missed the stories about the Reds players hitting the piss. Have you any links?
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:31 pm I wrote extensively about how poorly organised this comp was to be scheduled to start a week after the respective SR Aotearoa and Super Rugby AU finals. We will need to see how the Crusaders, Chiefs ad Brumbies fare before we can accurately assess where the Reds are at; it's common sense that all teams will struggle with training and recovery this week after playing in finals last weekend.

Darcy Waldegrave interviewed Bryn Hall this morning. He said the Crusaders' post final celebrations were very muted.

All depend on your goals, I suppose. For the Crusaders, the season is half over.

Winning second tier comp, Super Rugby AUS, is clearly the Reds' Everest. :lol:
Last edited by Muttonbirds on Sat May 15, 2021 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

guy smiley wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:26 am I must have missed the stories about the Reds players hitting the piss. Have you any links?
I wasn't talking about the Reds specifically. Although I would be absolutely shocked if they didn't celebrate their Super Rugby AU win with alcohol. The Crusaders and Chiefs certainly got on the piss after their final. Pro Rugby teams generally have a team function after every game, where alcohol features prominently. Certainly the Crusaders do, although they generally try and manage behaviour by holding private functions, with a few famous exceptions being when they have toured South Africa.