Trans Tasman Comp will be best comp

All things Rugby
Jeff the Bear

Re: Trans Tasman Comp will be best comp

Post by Jeff the Bear »

naki wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:41 am So it's nearly over now, what's the conclusion?

Was it best comp, the meh'st comp, or no comp at all?
No comp at all.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

As it’s a hybrid for me it’s no comp.

It will be better when home and away against all teams - 18 games each team - plus finals (SF and GF).

Or if they do play your counties teams h & a / and other counties once - 13 games each plus finals.

Like the top four to be no parameters....just the best not top two from each country.
naki

Post by naki »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:45 am As it’s a hybrid for me it’s no comp.

It will be better when home and away against all teams - 18 games each team - plus finals (SF and GF).

Or if they do play your counties teams h & a / and other counties once - 13 games each plus finals.

Like the top four to be no parameters....just the best not top two from each country.
Well I'm pleased that its, most likely, just a stopgap comp before the "real" SR returns next year. I get that the respective broadcasters needed content and this was just about the only thing they could cobble together, but all it's done is turn off punters on both sides of the Tasman due to the non-competitive nature of the games and given Australian fans another period of hand-wringing after the optimism of SR AU.

Club/franchise competitions should never be so starkly drawn on national lines. The focus should be how your particular team is faring, not some hypothetical nation vs nation scoreboard. Anyway, I hope the Blues win it. Auckland rugby could use a boost, however artificial.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

naki wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:06 am
kiwigreg369 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:45 am As it’s a hybrid for me it’s no comp.

Well I'm pleased that its, most likely, just a stopgap comp before the "real" SR returns next year. I get that the respective broadcasters needed content and this was just about the only thing they could cobble together, but all it's done is turn off punters on both sides of the Tasman due to the non-competitive nature of the games and given Australian fans another period of hand-wringing after the optimism of SR AU.

Club/franchise competitions should never be so starkly drawn on national lines. The focus should be how your particular team is faring, not some hypothetical nation vs nation scoreboard. Anyway, I hope the Blues win it. Auckland rugby could use a boost, however artificial.
The only reason that the differences between NZ and Australian teams is so pronounced is because of the format of this comp, which see's NZ teams only playing Aussie teams. If NZ teams were playing both NZ and Australian based franchises I don't think the gap would be as noticeable.
naki

Post by naki »

Exactly, which is why reinstating a proper format next season - whomever might be in it - can only be a good thing. The reviled conference system failed for several reasons but one not often discussed was also this encouragement of comparing each nation's collective strengths rather than the individual teams, it just wasn't as pronounced as TT.
WoodlandsRFC

Post by WoodlandsRFC »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:42 am
Ted. wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:49 am
kiwigreg369 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:16 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:43 am
kiwigreg369 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:31 am For the final it looks like crusaders va. Either blues or chiefs (which ever can get to 20 points)

Blues in driving seat as that was still on the basis that they lose to the brumbies
:? The Crusaders are coming 3rd. The Blues and Hurricanes are clearly in the box seat to make the final. You'd think they'd have to lose a game to drop out.
You said you can’t see reds or brums losing - Canes have both/ blues have Brums...

Which is it?
Well spotted and it's a good point you make, but in relying so completely on AC's take, it also points to the fact that you are utterly devoid of your own opinion. :P
Or option B, which might be a subset of A, is that I agree.
I love watching Australians rally behind their teams.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

naki wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:16 am Exactly, which is why reinstating a proper format next season - whomever might be in it - can only be a good thing. The reviled conference system failed for several reasons but one not often discussed was also this encouragement of comparing each nation's collective strengths rather than the individual teams, it just wasn't as pronounced as TT.
I'm the biggest supporter of a Trans Tasman comp on this forum. As a citizen of both NZ and Australia I'm basically the personification of a Trans Tasman comp. And I think it can work and become the world's best comp. A comp which attracts elite talent from easy rugby.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Ali's Choice wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:18 am
naki wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:16 am Exactly, which is why reinstating a proper format next season - whomever might be in it - can only be a good thing. The reviled conference system failed for several reasons but one not often discussed was also this encouragement of comparing each nation's collective strengths rather than the individual teams, it just wasn't as pronounced as TT.
I'm the biggest supporter of a Trans Tasman comp on this forum. As a citizen of both NZ and Australia I'm basically the personification of a Trans Tasman comp. And I think it can work and become the world's best comp. A comp which attracts elite talent from easy rugby.
:lol:
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Yep. And it is a busted flush. A shit show. You are correct, you are the personification of this.
The Optimist

Post by The Optimist »

Clogs wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:39 am
Yep. And it is a busted flush. A shit show. You are correct, you are the personification of this.
Bitter much?! :lol:

What ever you think of Ali, he is a straight up rugby fan. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

I said in round 1 that it's an abortion of a competition - now I think they have actually thrown away the baby and are trying to raise the placenta.

Many players are just going through the motions and I think the refs are having the same problem. Last night it reached it's (hopefully) low-point.

Thank God the Euros are starting and I can watching cheating diving prima donas ahead of this dross.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Enzedder wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:30 pm I said in round 1 that it's an abortion of a competition - now I think they have actually thrown away the baby and are trying to raise the placenta.

Many players are just going through the motions and I think the refs are having the same problem. Last night it reached it's (hopefully) low-point.

Thank God the Euros are starting and I can watching cheating diving prima donas ahead of this dross.
To be fair, you've complained about the structure of comps for years. You complained about SR Aotearoa and you complained about the old SR comp pre-covid. What comp do you actually want?
towny

Post by towny »

This year was thrown together. Next year it will be excellent.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Having accepted from the start that this was going to be utter humiliation for the Australian teams and it was just all about bonus points for the kiwi teams I think it's been quite enjoyable.
Superrugby Australia was slow and lacking in intensity. It was just about the easiest shittest rugby on the planet. Something has to change net year or this comp will just be another shit show for most.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

towny wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:17 pm This year was thrown together. Next year it will be excellent.
I agree. I'm excited about the 2022 TT comp already.
towny

Post by towny »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:19 pm
Having accepted from the start that this was going to be utter humiliation for the Australian teams and it was just all about bonus points for the kiwi teams I think it's been quite enjoyable.
Superrugby Australia was slow and lacking in intensity. It was just about the easiest shittest rugby on the planet. Something has to change net year or this comp will just be another shit show for most.
Our journeymen go dominate in England when they can’t keep up anymore. Who do you think you’re kidding? English rugby is pants.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

towny wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:24 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:19 pm
Our journeymen go dominate in England when they can’t keep up anymore. Who do you think you’re kidding? English rugby is pants.
28–39 England 2016 England tour of Australia
46 18 June 2016 AAMI Park, Melbourne 7–23 England
47 25 June 2016 Sydney Football Stadium, Sydney 40–44 England
48 3 December 2016 Twickenham, London 37–21 England 2016 Autumn International
49 18 November 2017 Twickenham, London 30–6 England 2017 Autumn International
50 24 November 2018 Twickenham, London 37–18 England 2018 Autumn International
51 19 October 2019 Ōita Stadium, Ōita, Japan 40–16 England
towny

Post by towny »

Haha

I thought we were talking about your piss-ant club comp. if you cut 9 teams you might have the same standard as Super Rugby AU.

As it is, it’s rubbish.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

All I'm saying is if you Australians serve up the same shit next year it will be the same result. Rather than spit your VB out and slag off the messenger sort your rugby out
towny

Post by towny »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:38 pm All I'm saying is if you Australians serve up the same shit next year it will be the same result. Rather than spit your VB out and slag off the messenger sort your rugby out
All I’m saying is that you don’t have the depth for 12 teams, and as such, the standard is poop. 12 teams….. your best side wouldn’t beat the Rebels.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

towny wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:36 pm Haha

I thought we were talking about your piss-ant club comp. if you cut 9 teams you might have the same standard as Super Rugby AU.

As it is, it’s rubbish.
No we are talking about you getting your arses handed to you by the kiwis in a comp we all want to see succeed but it has no chance if the Aussies turn up like a bunch of overweight part timers who can't be bothered.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

towny wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:40 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:38 pm All I'm saying is if you Australians serve up the same shit next year it will be the same result. Rather than spit your VB out and slag off the messenger sort your rugby out
All I’m saying is that you don’t have the depth for 12 teams, and as such, the standard is poop. 12 teams….. your best side wouldn’t beat the Rebels.
In 5 years time we will still have a thriving comp. 8)
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

The standard of the UK Premiership must be ridiculously low if Jimmy Gopperth is still an elite 10 in their competition.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

You've got kiwis and Aussies saying they have had enough of the trans tasman comp and the best you can do is slag off the English premiership :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All I'm saying is I hope it gets better as I want it to succeed :lol:
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:01 am You've got kiwis and Aussies saying they have had enough of the trans tasman comp and the best you can do is slag off the English premiership :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All I'm saying is I hope it gets better as I want it to succeed :lol:
My slagging off of the UK Premiership has nothing to do with Aussies moaning because the NZ teams are too good.

Fwiw I want the TT comp to succeed too. I just hope the posters on Green & Gold forum, who only want a comp where Australian teams win every match, don't get their way.
kiap

Post by kiap »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:06 am Fwiw I want the TT comp to succeed too. I just hope the posters on Green & Gold forum, who only want a comp where Australian teams win every match, don't get their way.
Just to clarify, most of them don't only want an AU comp, they just want it primarily. First and foremost. Own comp, owned. National final and national title.

After that there can be add-ons. Whether that double-counts half the AU games to be carried over post-season to a Transnational comp is another question. Some interleaving of games is yet another,

Either way, it's the pepper, not the meat.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

kiap wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:21 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:06 am Fwiw I want the TT comp to succeed too. I just hope the posters on Green & Gold forum, who only want a comp where Australian teams win every match, don't get their way.
Just to clarify, most of them don't only want an AU comp, they just want it primarily. First and foremost. Own comp, owned. National final and national title.

After that there can be add-ons. Whether that double-counts half the AU games to be carried over post-season to a Transnational comp is another question.

Either way, it's the pepper, not the meat.
Unfortunately that won't work. At very least the TT needs to be 9 weeks of round robin plus finals. Everyone needs to play each other once. My preference would be for a 13 match round robin with teams playing the other teams from their own country twice and the teams from across the Tasman just once. This would even out the comp, reduce the imbalance between the NZ and Aussie teams and also create more local derbies. This comp would get better ratings in Australia than the big fish in a tiny bowl Super Rugby AU comp which isn't very super.
kiap

Post by kiap »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:25 am Unfortunately that won't work. Sure it will. Dismissing it requires knowing what it is, which requires more than a cursory glance.

At very least the TT needs to be 9 weeks of round robin plus finals. Everyone needs to play each other once. That's your opinion. I agree it's one idea but none of it is mandatory.

My preference would be for a 13 match round robin with teams playing the other teams from their own country twice and the teams from across the Tasman just once. This would even out the comp, reduce the imbalance between the NZ and Aussie teams and also create more local derbies. Ah, but that doesn't have to be one comp.

This comp would get better ratings in Australia than the big fish in a tiny bowl Super Rugby AU comp which isn't very super. Yeah nah.
In terms of game match-ups what I'm talking about isn't much different. It's better structured, though. Much of the branding is negotiable but domestic control doesn't have to be.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:52 pm
The standard of the UK Premiership must be ridiculously low if Jimmy Gopperth is still an elite 10 in their competition.
Wasps 1st and second choice fly-halfs are 22 year and an 18s years old with over 30 games a season to get through. I'm pretty happy they have Gopperth to mentor them. "
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

So a team goes undefeated, beats their opposition 52-26 but fans still end up disappointed. Such a stupid competition, can you imagine the damage it would do to the All Blacks if the bonus point at all cost mentality crept into test rugby?
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

BlueThunder wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:46 am So a team goes undefeated, beats their opposition 52-26 but fans still end up disappointed. Such a stupid competition, can you imagine the damage it would do to the All Blacks if the bonus point at all cost mentality crept into test rugby?
The structure of the comp was forced by the uncertainty of the start date forced by the pandemic. obviously it wasn't ideal but there is no point bitching about it. Jus be thankful they managed to give you something to watch you spoilt brat.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

BlueThunder wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:46 am So a team goes undefeated, beats their opposition 52-26 but fans still end up disappointed. Such a stupid competition, can you imagine the damage it would do to the All Blacks if the bonus point at all cost mentality crept into test rugby?
Going from 10 teams to 2 was always asking for trouble. I pointed this out preseason to derision from Aussie posters. Needed semi finals, or at minimum a 2 vs 3 qualifier.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

mrbrownstone wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:10 am
Going from 10 teams to 2 was always asking for trouble. I pointed this out preseason to derision from Aussie posters. Needed semi finals, or at minimum a 2 vs 3 qualifier.
Dates to get the games in plus prepare for the international games
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:59 pm
Enzedder wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:30 pm I said in round 1 that it's an abortion of a competition - now I think they have actually thrown away the baby and are trying to raise the placenta.

To be fair, you've complained about the structure of comps for years. You complained about SR Aotearoa and you complained about the old SR comp pre-covid. What comp do you actually want?
Please show me where I have claimed to not be in favour of SR Aotearoa or go onto your own liars list. I was moist the whole competition.

My only gripe was that there was just 2 games per weekend but that was understandable.

I think you are confusing that with my dislike at the way Canterbury hoover up all of the good players from around the country and reduce the competitive nature of the comp. Bring in a draft
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

So with the 2022 12 team competition seemingly forming up nicely, has anyone seen any news on who Moana Pasifika and Fijian Drua have signed or are playing?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Enzedder wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:57 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:59 pm

Please show me where I have claimed to not be in favour of SR Aotearoa or go onto your own liars list. I was moist the whole competition.

My only gripe was that there was just 2 games per weekend but that was understandable.

I think you are confusing that with my dislike at the way Canterbury hoover up all of the good players from around the country and reduce the competitive nature of the comp. Bring in a draft
I'd love a player draft. Perhaps the Crusaders could secure one of the Chiefs legion of world class backrowers, all of whom are better than the poorly paid journeymen who we employ as loose forwards. The Chiefs have enough world class backrowers for 2-3 Super Rugby teams and I'd like some of them to play for my team please.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

See? You want 2 or 3 of them and not just 1, you don't want a more even (and therefore interesting) comp.

I just hope we can match your teams tighties next year. I'll swap Messam for one)
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Not sure Messam would fit the Saders culture (might break the Haden quota), maybe Mitch Karpik ….
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

You'll be delighted to learn that Luke Jacobson is off to Japan then AC? Only 24 and lost to us already (will have been told he doesn't fit the mould of being a big bastard even though he's one of the best - like Aaron Hopa)
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Enzedder wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:47 am You'll be delighted to learn that Luke Jacobson is off to Japan then AC? Only 24 and lost to us already (will have been told he doesn't fit the mould of being a big bastard even though he's one of the best - like Aaron Hopa)

Of course I'm not happy about that. I'm not happy when any player leaves NZ. Why would you even say that? I didn't think he was an ideal fit in a backrow that already includes Cane and Savea.