Richard Keogh awarded £2.3m in breach of contract case

All things Rugby
lilyw

Richard Keogh awarded £2.3m in breach of contract case

Post by lilyw »

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... inst-derby
Richard Keogh has secured a payout of about £2.3m from Derby after winning his long-running compensation claim against them. The 34-year-old defender, who finished the season at Huddersfield, brought an action for breach of contract in the wake of his sacking by Derby in October 2019.
I can't believe that they ever thought that they could win this, it was absolutely egregious.
C69

Re: Richard Keogh awarded £2.3m in breach of contract case

Post by C69 »

Bloody hell Derby are cnuts
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

I wonder if they will take it to a higher court, afterall the EFL originally ruled in Derby's favour before Keogh took it to the PFA tribunal.

Keogh injured himself while drunk driving, ruling himself out of the rest of the season, there's got to be some form of repercussion for that
HighKingLeinster

Post by HighKingLeinster »

earl the beaver wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:21 pm I wonder if they will take it to a higher court, afterall the EFL originally ruled in Derby's favour before Keogh took it to the PFA tribunal.

Keogh injured himself while drunk driving, ruling himself out of the rest of the season, there's got to be some form of repercussion for that
He wasnt driving. And Derby didnt sack the two lads who were drunk driving.

This doesnt address the issue of him making a bad decision of getting into a car driven by somebody who was drunk, but is that gross misconduct?
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

earl the beaver wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:21 pm I wonder if they will take it to a higher court, afterall the EFL originally ruled in Derby's favour before Keogh took it to the PFA tribunal.

It's the complete inconsistency, they retained the 2 cheap guys who actually drove drunk and left the scene of the crash, and sacked the expensive guy who was a passenger.
nardol

Post by nardol »

you would stand a better chance of making a point if you got your facts straight
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

Who is this a thread on a rugby forum?

FFS.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Willie Falloon wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:09 pm Who is this a thread on a rugby forum?

FFS.
I suppose it is a precedent for Rugby Clubs if they have similar ideas
towny

Post by towny »

Willie Falloon wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:09 pm Who is this a thread on a rugby forum?

FFS.
Yeah!! I think I might have seen a political thread earlier as well. 🤬
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

I don’t see why they couldn’t sack the senior player involved.
towny

Post by towny »

DragsterDriver wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:25 pm I don’t see why they couldn’t sack the senior player involved.
Because it wasn’t about punishment but avoidance of paying a bloke that was injured. The drunk driver that fled the scene was fine to play so why would the cretins sack him?
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

lilyw wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:57 pm https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... inst-derby
Richard Keogh has secured a payout of about £2.3m from Derby after winning his long-running compensation claim against them. The 34-year-old defender, who finished the season at Huddersfield, brought an action for breach of contract in the wake of his sacking by Derby in October 2019.
I can't believe that they ever thought that they could win this, it was absolutely egregious.
The highest paid rugby player in the world is Handre Pollard on £1,000,000 per year.
Richard Keogh a player at an average 2nd tier football club is on £1,250,000 per year.

Shows the economic difference between football and rugby
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

towny wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:28 pm
DragsterDriver wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:25 pm I don’t see why they couldn’t sack the senior player involved.
Because it wasn’t about punishment but avoidance of paying a bloke that was injured. The drunk driver that fled the scene was fine to play so why would the cretins sack him?
They don’t have to punish equally. He was off work injured and out on the lab with a pissed driver.
towny

Post by towny »

DragsterDriver wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:38 pm
They don’t have to punish equally. He was off work injured and out on the lab with a pissed driver.
I actually think they might have to show consistency with punishments.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

towny wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:41 pm
Senior rugby players are usually punished harsher for breaches than the younger ones along for the ride.
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

DragsterDriver wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:06 pm
Senior rugby players are usually punished harsher for breaches than the younger ones along for the ride.
There is no legal basis for that.

Employment law is pretty straightforward, you have to be consistent or show a very clear reason why not. This would also include any previous players disciplined over drinking infractions. Basically they hadn't a leg to stand on - they were simply looking to get rid of his wages.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Why didn’t I google first and see he’s Irish.

As you were.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

It all makes sense now. etb must have been the lawyer for Derby
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

They sacked him because he had a long term injury and they didn't sack the criminals because they were still assets. It should obvious
towny

Post by towny »

I was talking about HR and law things. I think companies that don’t have consistency in punishments are more liable to get into trouble. Maybe this comes from the ‘the rule of law’ but I’d be going for a lifeline if you asked me to back it up with evidence.
towny

Post by towny »

lilyw wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:01 pm

There is no legal basis for that.

Employment law is pretty straightforward, you have to be consistent or show a very clear reason why not. This would also include any previous players disciplined over drinking infractions. Basically they hadn't a leg to stand on - they were simply looking to get rid of his wages.
This.

Ignore my previous post.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

It's one thing being awarded £2.3 million against a bucketshop football club like Darby County. It's a total different thing actually getting the money.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

The Sun God wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:00 am It's one thing being awarded £2.3 million against a bucketshop football club like Darby County. It's a total different thing actually getting the money.
"Control can you send a minibus. We are taking possession of the first team"

in all seriousness they would get kicked out of the football league if they don't pay it.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

The Sun God wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:00 am It's one thing being awarded £2.3 million against a bucketshop football club like Darby County. It's a total different thing actually getting the money.
I think if they don't pay in full they can be kicked out of the league as it would be considered a "Football debt"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... itors-rule
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

mdaclarke wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:14 pm
I think if they don't pay in full they can be kicked out of the league as it would be considered a "Football debt"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... itors-rule
:thumbup: Fair enough.
I notice that piece is from 2012...... I assume that 'rule' is still in force ?
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:45 pm
"Control can you send a minibus. We are taking possession of the first team"

in all seriousness they would get kicked out of the football league if they don't pay it.
I enjoy that show..... a little guilty pleasure. I wouldn't do the job for all the tea in Dozyland.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

HighKingLeinster wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:27 pm

He wasnt driving. And Derby didnt sack the two lads who were drunk driving.

This doesnt address the issue of him making a bad decision of getting into a car driven by somebody who was drunk, but is that gross misconduct?
Two people were driving? No wonder they crashed.