2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa – Sunnybank
3. Feao Fotuaika – Sunnybank
4. Ryan Smith – Brothers
5. Angus Blyth – Bond University
6. Angus Scott-Young – University of Queensland
7. Liam Wright – Easts (co-captain)
8. Seru Uru – Easts
9. Kalani Thomas* – University of Queensland
10. James O’Connor – Brothers (co-captain)
11. Jock Campbell – University of Queensland
12. Hamish Stewart – Brothers
13. Josh Flook – Brothers
14. Filipo Daugunu – Wests
15. Bryce Hegarty – GPS

16. Josh Nasser – University of Queensland
17. Harry Hoopert – Brothers
18. Taniela Tupou – Brothers
19. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto – Souths
20. Fraser McReight – Brothers
21. Moses Sorovi – Wests
22. Isaac Henry** – Wests
23. Suliasi Vunivalu – Wests

Clan:

1. Ayden Johnstone
2. Ash Dixon (cc)
3. Siate Tokolahi
4. Pari Pari Parkinson
5. Josh Dickson
6. Hugh Renton
7. Billy Harmon
8. Kazuki Himeno
9. Aaron Smith (cc)
10. Mitch Hunt
11 Jona Nareki
12. Scott Gregory
13. Michael Collins
14. Patelesio Tomkinson
15. Sam Gilbert

RESERVES
16. Liam Coltman
17. Ethan De Groot
18. Josh Hohneck
19. Bryn Evans
20. James Lentjes
21. Kayne Hammington
22. Tim O’Malley
23. Ngatugnane Punivai
Last edited by Bindi on Wed May 12, 2021 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thomas

Re: Clan v. Reds

Post by Thomas »

Poor form from the home team fans in not putting this together.

Does anyone on the bored support the Highlanders?
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Interesting move for the Reds to rest so many players.

Totally understand it with a short turnaround off the back of an intense final, but realistically you'll probably need 4 wins minimum to make the final, so it doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room.

Really should have had a week off between comps.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

mrbrownstone wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:27 am Interesting move for the Reds to rest so many players.

Totally understand it with a short turnaround off the back of an intense final, but realistically you'll probably need 4 wins minimum to make the final, so it doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room.

Really should have had a week off between comps.
Looks like they're not taking this comp as seriously.

2 Wallabies injured and out of the 23 (Petaia, WIlson). 1 rested and out of the 23 (McDermott). 3 Wallabies to the bench, including the Reds' 2 best players (Tupou, McReight, LSL). 1 still injured (Paisami)
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

In related news, I see the Clan are losing Michael Collins to Ospreys after this season.

He's Welsh-qualified via a grandparent, so I'm sure he'll feel right at home alongside Halaholo, Anscombe, McNicholl et al.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Thomas wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:19 am Poor form from the home team fans in not putting this together.

:nod:

It's just that being hardworking men of southern stock, all of us have day jobs.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Highlanders v Reds

Friday 14 May, 7:05pm

Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin

Referee: Ben O’Keeffe

Assistant 1: James Doleman

Assistant 2: Angus Mabey

TMO: Mike Fraser
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Thomas wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:19 am Poor form from the home team fans in not putting this together.

No one really. South Cantabrian JDog wore a boiler suit on the terrace at the Brook once so has adopted them over the Crusaders for some bizarre reason.
Peteray

Post by Peteray »

Born in the Deep South... so... Southern Man, and Clansman.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Enzedder wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:22 am Highlanders v Reds

Friday 14 May, 7:05pm

Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin

Referee: Ben O’Keeffe

Assistant 1: James Doleman

Assistant 2: Angus Mabey

TMO: Mike Fraser
Updated.
towny

Post by towny »

I think this is a decent Reds' side. They played Saturday night and will only have 3 days on the paddock to prepare for this one - makes sense to rotate some players that have been playing big minutes. Mafi is the only one you'd say has been rested.

Fotuaiki is pretty good in the set piece and carries pretty well and Zander goes alright for a bloke who looks like he should be in 4th grade. Plus two decent locks and a good hooker the Reds' scrum should go okay. Tupou gets all the credit, but BPA might have a bit of input into the scrum dominance this year - we'll see. Hoopert, LSL and Tupou on the bench, so they'll come home strong.

Wilson will be missed but a backrow of Wright, Uru and ASY is solid af. McReight on the bench as well. Kiwis mightn't know much about McReight and they will know nothing of Uru but I think they'll get used to their names. McReight is going to be a superstar of the game. The only pig the Reds are resting is Wilson because of the concussion last week.

In the backs, Tate is out but he's been poor anyway. His passing in the final was the worst effort yet. Also, he's not getting to a lot of rucks. He's half the player he was last year. Kalani gets the start and he has massive raps on him from people in the know - I'll have to take their word for it. His last pass for the JOC try was good - had a group of celebrating forwards in the way and he did what he had to under pressure. Sorovi on the bench is a dangerous little mofo.

JOC is flyhalf and 'co-captain'. I'm not sure what that means. Hopefully he does the ref talk, makes all the decisions and talks to the press after the game and Wright can do the rest. I like Wright actually, but JOC is like Jesus. Seriously. Jesus.

Same centres as next week. I am NOT in the Hamish Stewart fan club but he's got..... well.... Okay, I just don't get it. He's made 2 breaks this year and he ran away from support and bombed tries. People say he can pass but he usually doesn't. I haven't seen him kick the ball since 2018. Flook is another with big raps and he's done nothing wrong, but there's not much PoW in the midfield though, considering last year we had Paisami, Petaia and CFS. Whatever, with Paisami out this is the best centre partnership according to BT, and in BT we trust.

Wingers are Daugunu and Jock. Petaia is injured so not rested. Hegarty is at the back, which is lame. Having said that, his last couple of games haven't been awful at all. He can kick and tackle - he's a bit like a slightly smaller Reece Hodge but with a much better pass. You know....a bit meh, but he's white and has a go so you give him a pass. Maybe there's a quota to keep the old blokes happy?

Vunivalu on the bench..... I'd feel better if he was on the wing and Jock was at the back, but in BT we trust. This bloke is a ridiculous athlete but he doesn't know the laws and stuff. He's like Folau but quicker and with a mean streak, but not quite as good in the air and no social media account.

So, all in all, this isn't the strongest starting XV but it's close to the strongest XXIII the Reds could put on the plane. Thomas saw Wright the other day after the game and he was sober so that's a good sign. The Reds have become one of those good teams that always turn up. They don't always play well, but they have self belief, are very fit and will hook in, which means they can ground out an ugly win if they have to.

I actually think the Highlanders are a better side than their 2021 results have shown. They lacked consistency but at times looked terrifying. Aaron Smith is one of the best scrumhalves that's ever walked and he's still got it. If they win it's because of that bastard. It's going to be really interesting seeing the different styles - will the Highlanders get that rapid front-foot ball and then use fast hands to get around the Reds? I don't think so but I'm biased, so there's that.
Will the Reds dominate the scrum and bash Highlanders at the ruck?

My bias is massive, but I'm picking a Reds win due to a late penalty kick from a scrum. I would have added some spite but for some reason the Highlanders are a team I don't overly hate.
Peteray

Post by Peteray »

A good read Towny. Many thanks for the inside info. I'll try to return the favor, in less words. :D

Gilbert has coveted the 15 jersey all along, and gets a chance here, though why NMS didn't keep his spot with Gilbert on the wing is puzzling. Tompkinson goes to the right wing which is difficult to understand as he lacks anything positive, though Nareki on the right has been outstanding. Wales bound Collins, and a rejuvenated Gregory are the midfield pairing who should hold their own, while Hunt and Smith are a quality 9 and 10. Himeno and Harmon have been outstanding in the loose while Renton has starts in place of Frizzell (off field issues). Dickson and Parkinson are our two best locks, not withstanding Evan's fine form of late, and should offer lineout security, while Tokolahi, Dixon, and Johnstone make up a quality front row. The bench is strong, with the eye-catcher Tim O'Malley, an injury cover 10 from Tasman an interesting option.

I think the Clan, on their best day, would 'walk' this one, but continuing off-field distractions and season-long inconsistency, will see this probably go to the wire. Clan by 4.
Morgan14

Post by Morgan14 »

Looking forward to this. Gwan the Landers! Good to see Parkinson back, that'll help. Pack looks ok to decent! Backline, well, I hope no one gets injured.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Towny is really stepping up the words per post. Hell of a good reading. Is he angling for PR Junior Reporter, Southern Hemisphere for Jake’s journo team?
Maniototo Man

Post by Maniototo Man »

Apologies. I often do OP for home games, but only have phone access at the moment and find posting difficult with a drip in. Maybe next time.

Have to agree with Towny. Looks a strong Reds team while the Clan are decidely makeshift in the backs.

Enjoy the game.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Maniototo Man wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:36 pm

Apologies. I often do OP for home games, but only have phone access at the moment and find posting difficult with a drip in. Maybe next time.

Have to agree with Towny. Looks a strong Reds team while the Clan are decidely makeshift in the backs.

Enjoy the game.
Bloody hell, hope you are off the drip and out of hospital shortishly.
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

MungoMan wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:54 am

Enjoy the game.
Hes referring to the Speights drip all southern blokes have :twisted:
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

mr bungle wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:55 am

No one really. South Cantabrian JDog wore a boiler suit on the terrace at the Brook once so has adopted them over the Crusaders for some bizarre reason.
Mid Cantabrian... Ashburton isn't Sth Canterbury.
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

guy smiley wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:29 am

Mid Canterbury is not even part of Canterbury really - unlike North and South Canterbury.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Shrekles wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:23 am Mid Canterbury is not even part of Canterbury really - unlike North and South Canterbury.
Yes indeed. It's much more it's own, special zone. From another dimension...

Maniototo Man

Post by Maniototo Man »

Ogre wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:03 am
MungoMan wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:54 am

Enjoy the game.
Hes referring to the Speights drip all southern blokes have :twisted:
:D will suggest it
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

guy smiley wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:29 am

It's tough for Globungle. Anywhere past Milton, South Otago, is like a whole different world for him so he's easily confused by these provincial boundaries further up the island.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

How very dare you. I went to Otago University in 1997, the Landers' second year, and was a keen member of the crowd over the next five years while living, studying and working there. I think I've earned my (blue and gold) stripes.

I've probably been to two Crusaders games in my life. Oh and it's Mid Canterbury not South Canterbury, but I suspect you knew that.
towny

Post by towny »

mr bungle wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:33 pm Towny is really stepping up the words per post. Hell of a good reading. Is he angling for PR Junior Reporter, Southern Hemisphere for Jake’s journo team?
haha!

Lately I have used my laptop a lot more. I can type quick and think about a lot of dumb shit, so.... quantity over quality I always say.
towny

Post by towny »

Enjoy the game.
Hope you're okay mate! :uhoh:
towny

Post by towny »

Reds are paying $4..... this is a good Reds' side, so if it's not the strongest Clans' team, then either the standard of the comps is massive or the bookies are really wrong.

The Tahs v Canes is ridiculous odds. I'm not saying I'm going to win, but I think the bookies have gotten this really wrong and would have kicked myself if I didn't put a decent bet on.

Reds, Tahs, Force to win turns 500kr into 180,000kr. 360/1. That's $30k AUD. :shock:

Kiwi boredies - get on it. If you lose, your team still won and you're happy. If you win, you get a new car or best holiday of your life to Europe.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

towny wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:56 am Reds are paying $4..... this is a good Reds' side, so if it's not the strongest Clans' team, then either the standard of the comps is massive or the bookies are really wrong.

The Tahs v Canes is ridiculous odds. I'm not saying I'm going to win, but I think the bookies have gotten this really wrong and would have kicked myself if I didn't put a decent bet on.

Reds, Tahs, Force to win turns 500kr into 180,000kr. 360/1. That's $30k AUD. :shock:

Kiwi boredies - get on it. If you lose, your team still won and you're happy. If you win, you get a new car or best holiday of your life to Europe.
Yes, even the ol' insurance bet per individual game. Great value across the market this weekend if you rate the Aussie sides even half a chance. Which I do. NSW at 13s v the Canes my value pick of the bunch.
towny

Post by towny »

jdogscoop wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:20 am
towny wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:56 am Reds are paying $4..... this is a good Reds' side, so if it's not the strongest Clans' team, then either the standard of the comps is massive or the bookies are really wrong.

Yes, even the ol' insurance bet per individual game. Great value across the market this weekend if you rate the Aussie sides even half a chance. Which I do. NSW at 13s v the Canes my value pick of the bunch.
12/1 is a two horse race... this suggests the Tahs have a 7% chance of beating the Canes.
3/1 is what the Reds have against the Clans = 25%

That's nuts.
FairWeather_Aussie

Post by FairWeather_Aussie »

Is Kalani Thomas the young scrum half who came on in the second half of the Force match? If so, he looked way out of his depth in that game. He’ll get eaten alive by Aaron Smith.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

FairWeather_Aussie wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:57 pm Is Kalani Thomas the young scrum half who came on in the second half of the Force match? If so, he looked way out of his depth in that game. He’ll get eaten alive by Aaron Smith.
Yeah he's got huge wraps, but I much prefer Sorovi.
towny

Post by towny »

FairWeather_Aussie wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:57 pm Is Kalani Thomas the young scrum half who came on in the second half of the Force match? If so, he looked way out of his depth in that game. He’ll get eaten alive by Aaron Smith.
He is and he did.
towny

Post by towny »

Zakar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:08 pm
+1
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

jdogscoop wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:20 am

Its not just kiwi bookies too, I'm a member on two aussie bookies and the odds are universal. I don't expect such big margins to be given away next week.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Technical question...

is it 'wraps' or 'raps'?
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

guy smiley wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:43 pm
Technical question...

is it 'wraps' or 'raps'?
Not sure.

I was referring to the fact that he makes a lot big burritos :uhoh:
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Zakar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:48 pm
Technical question...

is it 'wraps' or 'raps'?
Not sure.

I was referring to the fact that he makes a lot big burritos :uhoh:
:lol:

A guy got up in a pre start meeting at the mine site I was at and said, in front of 60-70 sleepy miners, that he'd written a song about a burrito.... actually, it was more of a rap.

Yes, yes thank you.

I'm asking because we use 'rapt' to describe pleasure or approval... I'd always assumed you'd give a bloke raps based on that.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Technical question...

is it 'wraps' or 'raps'?
It’s Raps
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I'm not a huge Kalani fan but he hasn't had much of an opportunity to prove himself. Sorovi has been hot and cold. To me he's the perfect super-sub. A real live wire at the death.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Thank you, Dr Shanky :thumbup:
shanky

Post by shanky »

guy smiley wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:31 am Thank you, Dr Shanky :thumbup:
If I may be allowed to grandstand...?

From the usage of the words 'bad rap', came 'good raps' (even though, historically, the word rap meant a bad thing - like 'taking the rap' or 'he's got a rap-sheet')

But then simply, raps.

Also, in strine, you get rapped in something you like