The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

All things Rugby
User avatar
Short Man Syndrome
Posts: 6889
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Front and centre.

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

koroke hangareka wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:48 pm
Short Man Syndrome wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:55 pm Alright girls, keep your knickers unbunched...
Wow! You ladies just love that “aliens” strawman, don’t you?!
OK girls, have at it
What have you got against women that you have to keep likening them to Mog and Towny?
You are absolutely right to pull me up there. I wholeheartedly apologise to women everywhere, you deserve better and I will take this time to reflect on my poor value judgements.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 13728
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:55 pm Alright girls, keep your knickers unbunched... if you’ll care to casually cast an eye back over my posts - and you probably won’t - the crux of my point is that there are questions that are too difficult to answer which people like yourselves are choosing to casually dismiss with a wave of the hand.

I liked the tone of Mog’s post, he might be a good dude after all, but those ‘unidentified blips’ on radar were tracked by multiple radar stations and they reported flying objects covering vast distances in seconds. And it’s not just one or two instances... there are official military reports of many of these radar contacts, they keep scrambling jets to go after them!

The videos are all a bit ropey, but you’re using that as a strawman against me - I am not a Communist. I may be a liar, a pig, an idiot, a Communist...but I am NOT claiming the videos are proof of anything.
Well, thanks for the sort-of compliment.

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:55 pmAliens schmaliens, but there’s technology out there which is defying the laws of physics as we understand them. Isn’t that just a LITTLE bit interesting?
It would be VERY interesting if there was any good evidence.

Unfortunately, when we boil it down, we aren't left with very much at all. Just anecdotal reports of some kind of radar anomalies ... and that's about it.

The first step in this investigation is to simply confirm the stories as printed in click-baity media are actually true. Did the radars really actually detect objects moving in the way described?

The second step is to examine the radar sensors for faults.

The third step is to investigate likely possible explanations. Light reflections? Hackers? System faults? Human error? Calibration faults? Software bugs?

As it stands, the sum total of the evidence provided so far is some claims made in click-baity media sources along with some easily-explained grainy black and white footage of blobs.

Even if we actually get past step thee, then we're still only at the stage of, "the radars are confirmed to have detected an unidentified something".

As far as I'm aware, we haven't even passed step one. Let alone two and three.

And we're a very long way of "proof of technology that is defying the laws of physics".
User avatar
Short Man Syndrome
Posts: 6889
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Front and centre.

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

Hence my question: do you know how radar works? It's hard to explain multiple, simultaneous contacts is all.

I must admit though, that I wouldn't put it past military types to use the 'threat' of superior tech as claimed in these reports to try and get more cash monies pumped into the military complex.

*shakes fist angrily*
towny
Posts: 22987
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by towny »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:55 pm Alright girls, keep your knickers unbunched... if you’ll care to casually cast an eye back over my posts - and you probably won’t - the crux of my point is that there are questions that are too difficult to answer which people like yourselves are choosing to casually dismiss with a wave of the hand.

I liked the tone of Mog’s post, he might be a good dude after all, but those ‘unidentified blips’ on radar were tracked by multiple radar stations and they reported flying objects covering vast distances in seconds. And it’s not just one or two instances... there are official military reports of many of these radar contacts, they keep scrambling jets to go after them!

The videos are all a bit ropey, but you’re using that as a strawman against me - I am not a Communist. I may be a liar, a pig, an idiot, a Communist...but I am NOT claiming the videos are proof of anything.

Aliens schmaliens, but there’s technology out there which is defying the laws of physics as we understand them. Isn’t that just a LITTLE bit interesting?
It is interesting. I’m interested in knowing what is doing this. I think we all are.

But you are doing more than pointing out this strange occurrence. You think it’s aliens and you’re angry that we don’t all agree. Admit it.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 13728
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:39 pm Hence my question: do you know how radar works? It's hard to explain multiple, simultaneous contacts is all.

I must admit though, that I wouldn't put it past military types to use the 'threat' of superior tech as claimed in these reports to try and get more cash monies pumped into the military complex.

*shakes fist angrily*
Could certainly be the case.

But what evidence do we have so far that these signals have been observed on any radar? What evidence do we have that they are detected on multiple radars? And what evidence do we have that the signals detected on multiple radars all match each other?

As far as I'm aware, there is none apart from anecdotal stories of claims made by "official sounding people" told in various online rags. That's really not very much at all.

Joe Rogan is entertaining but extremely gullible, and Neil deGrasse I find quite tedious. Nevertheless, they discuss those radar blips and de Grasse does a half-decent, albeit rambling, job of clarifying the thought process on their latest podcast together... bear with the first part ... he does get to the radar ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u0VDFppCI4
towny
Posts: 22987
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by towny »

msp. wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:24 pm
Short Man Syndrome wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:55 pm

Aliens schmaliens, but there’s technology out there which is defying the laws of physics as we understand them. Isn’t that just a LITTLE bit interesting?
It all flies to close to conspiracy theories.. which means many people actively away from. Anything that even smells on a conspiracy theory people actively argue against.

As an experiment talk to anyone about the passport of one of the hijackers was found at the WTC, During 9/11. Effectively a man found a passport on the ground whist the towers were burning before they collapsed. He handed the passport in to a police officer and the passport was from one of the hijackers. (all the above is in the official 9/11 report, and is not a conspiracy theory, the passport WAS found). Most people laugh and will accuse you of following some conspiracy theory..
Do promo get shut down when they talk about the passport found on the the ground or is it when people start stating that it couldn’t have come from the plane?

I’ve seen this many times online - not once do I recall anyone making a matter-of-fact comment about the passport- it’s usually about the impossibility that it couldn’t have been on the plane 300m away.
towny
Posts: 22987
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:52 pm
Short Man Syndrome wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:39 pm Hence my question: do you know how radar works? It's hard to explain multiple, simultaneous contacts is all.

I must admit though, that I wouldn't put it past military types to use the 'threat' of superior tech as claimed in these reports to try and get more cash monies pumped into the military complex.

*shakes fist angrily*
Could certainly be the case.

But what evidence do we have so far that these signals have been observed on any radar? What evidence do we have that they are detected on multiple radars? And what evidence do we have that the signals detected on multiple radars all match each other?

As far as I'm aware, there is none apart from anecdotal stories of claims made by "official sounding people" told in various online rags. That's really not very much at all.

Joe Rogan is entertaining but extremely gullible, and Neil deGrasse I find quite tedious. Nevertheless, they discuss those radar blips and de Grasse does a half-decent, albeit rambling, job of clarifying the thought process on their latest podcast together... bear with the first part ... he does get to the radar ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u0VDFppCI4
Science 7,715,980 - Loons 0
User avatar
msp.
Posts: 1822
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by msp. »

towny wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:56 pm
msp. wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:24 pm
Short Man Syndrome wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:55 pm

Aliens schmaliens, but there’s technology out there which is defying the laws of physics as we understand them. Isn’t that just a LITTLE bit interesting?
It all flies to close to conspiracy theories.. which means many people actively away from. Anything that even smells on a conspiracy theory people actively argue against.

As an experiment talk to anyone about the passport of one of the hijackers was found at the WTC, During 9/11. Effectively a man found a passport on the ground whist the towers were burning before they collapsed. He handed the passport in to a police officer and the passport was from one of the hijackers. (all the above is in the official 9/11 report, and is not a conspiracy theory, the passport WAS found). Most people laugh and will accuse you of following some conspiracy theory..
Do promo get shut down when they talk about the passport found on the the ground or is it when people start stating that it couldn’t have come from the plane?

I’ve seen this many times online - not once do I recall anyone making a matter-of-fact comment about the passport- it’s usually about the impossibility that it couldn’t have been on the plane 300m away.
Mixture of both most people do not seem to believe that the passport was found and certainly was not in the plane therefore by brining it up must be some sort on conspiracy theory.

Despite the "fact" that the official 9/11 commission says that it was found on the and handed in to a policeman during the attack. (and presumably had somehow escaped the aircraft and tower 2 and fallen to the street)

I find it just as interesting how some people gravitate to conspiracy theories, how other people dismiss stuff as a conspiracy even if it is the "truth" just because it seems odd..
User avatar
bessantj
Posts: 9343
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Location: Newport, Gwent

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by bessantj »

towny wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:07 pm
bessantj wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:35 pm
Farva wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:52 am Aliens from outer space?
What rubbish.

Its clearly beings from the centre of the hollow earth come to prevent us getting into nuclear war.
https://nypost.com/2017/12/26/conspirac ... th-aliens/

But really, occams razor tells us the simple theory is probably right. The simple theory is not that beings capable of interstellar travel are whizzing around but that drones from rival powers are instead.
You blind, blind fool. They're not from the inside of the Earth. They are obviously craft operated by the Daros from Lemura. They have chosen this, the Foroul Time, to make their way to the Bermuda Triangle and contact the Millionth Council who bring their own vessels through the trans galactic gate.

Edgar Mitchell, a man who has actually been to space, can testify to this as he said he was:
"90 percent sure that many of the thousands of unidentified flying objects, or UFOs, recorded since the 1940s, belong to visitors from other planets"
That’s the astronaut that got sued by NASA for stealing, right?
Disgraceful ad hominem.
towny wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:07 pmWhat did Neil Armstrong have to say I wonder…
I dunno but lets crowd source this bastard and find out.
towny
Posts: 22987
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by towny »

Disgraceful? How?
User avatar
bessantj
Posts: 9343
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Location: Newport, Gwent

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by bessantj »

Lovers of science and rational debate would find any ad hominem disgraceful.
towny
Posts: 22987
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by towny »

bessantj wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:23 pm Lovers of science and rational debate would find any ad hominem disgraceful.
Why? Isn’t evidence of character relevant when it involves someone making money from making remarkable statements? Shirley science allows for scrutiny over more than the raw data.
User avatar
bessantj
Posts: 9343
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Location: Newport, Gwent

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by bessantj »

towny wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:28 pm
bessantj wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:23 pm Lovers of science and rational debate would find any ad hominem disgraceful.
Why? Isn’t evidence of character relevant when it involves someone making money from making remarkable statements? Shirley science allows for scrutiny over more than the raw data.
No, If you're engaging with their argument you can't go off trying to undermine their character to weaken their case.
Last edited by bessantj on Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
towny
Posts: 22987
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by towny »

bessantj wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:36 pm
towny wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:28 pm
bessantj wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:23 pm Lovers of science and rational debate would find any ad hominem disgraceful.
Why? Isn’t evidence of character relevant when it involves someone making money from making remarkable statements? Shirley science allows for scrutiny over more than the raw data.
No, If you're engaging with their argument you can go off trying to undermine their character to weaken their case.
His character is their case - “he’s been in space so we should believe him”

He’s a crackpot and a thief.
User avatar
bessantj
Posts: 9343
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Location: Newport, Gwent

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by bessantj »

towny wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:46 pm
bessantj wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:36 pm
towny wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:28 pm
bessantj wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:23 pm Lovers of science and rational debate would find any ad hominem disgraceful.
Why? Isn’t evidence of character relevant when it involves someone making money from making remarkable statements? Shirley science allows for scrutiny over more than the raw data.
No, If you're engaging with their argument you can't go off trying to undermine their character to weaken their case.
His character is their case - “he’s been in space so we should believe him”

He’s a crackpot and a thief.
That's not his argument. That's my argument which is also a logical fallacy and one you could have pointed out really.
Last edited by bessantj on Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
bessantj
Posts: 9343
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Location: Newport, Gwent

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by bessantj »

Sorry meant to edit not quote.
towny
Posts: 22987
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by towny »

Do you remember the point you were trying to make?
User avatar
bessantj
Posts: 9343
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Location: Newport, Gwent

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by bessantj »

towny wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:41 pm Do you remember the point you were trying to make?
In my OP? Yeah of course I do I was riffing a bit off of Farva's post.
On your reply to my post? Yes, I was just picking up on your ad hominem, mostly for a bit of fun.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 13728
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by Mog The Almighty »

bessantj wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:50 pm
towny wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:46 pm
bessantj wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:36 pm
towny wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:28 pm
bessantj wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:23 pm Lovers of science and rational debate would find any ad hominem disgraceful.
Why? Isn’t evidence of character relevant when it involves someone making money from making remarkable statements? Shirley science allows for scrutiny over more than the raw data.
No, If you're engaging with their argument you can't go off trying to undermine their character to weaken their case.
His character is their case - “he’s been in space so we should believe him”

He’s a crackpot and a thief.
That's not his argument. That's my argument which is also a logical fallacy and one you could have pointed out really.
Ad hominem argument is, "you're an idiot, therefore you're wrong".

"This person has a history of making dubious and/or false claims, therefore we should be very sceptical about his latest extraordinary and evidence-less claim" ... that's not ad-hominem, that is just common sense.

If you don't employ a bit of that in your life, you'll find yourself in big trouble. There's a lot of conmen out there and reputation rightfully means something.
towny
Posts: 22987
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by towny »

bessantj wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:15 pm
towny wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:41 pm Do you remember the point you were trying to make?
In my OP? Yeah of course I do I was riffing a bit off of Farva's post.
On your reply to my post? Yes, I was just picking up on your ad hominem, mostly for a bit of fun.
Hilarious
User avatar
bessantj
Posts: 9343
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Location: Newport, Gwent

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by bessantj »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:18 pm Ad hominem argument is, "you're an idiot, therefore you're wrong".

"This person has a history of making dubious and/or false claims, therefore we should be very sceptical about his latest extraordinary and evidence-less claim" ... that's not ad-hominem, that is just common sense.

If you don't employ a bit of that in your life, you'll find yourself in big trouble. There's a lot of conmen out there and reputation rightfully means something.
This is getting away from the main thrust of this thread, outlandish claims about alien visitation. But, I think, they can both be ad homs.

Now people suggest that we couldn't have alien visitation because of the vast distances they'd have to travel, but I say they're forgetting about Nibiru.
towny
Posts: 22987
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by towny »

Fml
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 13728
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by Mog The Almighty »

bessantj wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:40 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:18 pm Ad hominem argument is, "you're an idiot, therefore you're wrong".

"This person has a history of making dubious and/or false claims, therefore we should be very sceptical about his latest extraordinary and evidence-less claim" ... that's not ad-hominem, that is just common sense.

If you don't employ a bit of that in your life, you'll find yourself in big trouble. There's a lot of conmen out there and reputation rightfully means something.
This is getting away from the main thrust of this thread, outlandish claims about alien visitation. But, I think, they can both be ad homs.

Now people suggest that we couldn't have alien visitation because of the vast distances they'd have to travel, but I say they're forgetting about Nibiru.
I don't agree with your first point but whatever, let's drop that one.

The second one, I won't even pretend I know what you're talking about. I Googled it. Okay, the hypothetical collision between the earth and some other large object. Mkay ... and?

Where are the aliens? Where is the evidence for them? Anything half convincing will do to raise my eyebrows. I want to raise my eyebrows to this. I just can't force myself to do it when thrown scraps. Worse than scraps.

And when I say, "anything half convincing", I don't mean some unconfirmed, unidentified, alleged blips on radar. I don't mean fuzzy, grainy, black and white footage of a blob. Those things are not good evidence of aliens.

They are equal evidence of aliens as they are of Thor throwing lightning balls from the heavens. In other words, not at all.

They're simply evidence of something unknown that almost certainly has an unfortunately unsexy explanation (I'm all for sexy explanations, I would love that -- give me Thor or aliens, I'll take either one -- but I won't believe it plausible without good reason).
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Varsity Way
Posts: 1427
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by Varsity Way »

Anyone got any links to some decent UFO footage which could be classed as " at least makes you think" rather than grainy could be anything shite?
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 13728
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Varsity Way wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:16 pm Anyone got any links to some decent UFO footage which could be classed as " at least makes you think" rather than grainy could be anything shite?
UFO footage is always grainy, blurred and mostly black-and-white.

It has to be.

All the clear footage turns out to be too-obviously "not aliens".
User avatar
bessantj
Posts: 9343
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Location: Newport, Gwent

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by bessantj »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:12 pm
bessantj wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:40 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:18 pm Ad hominem argument is, "you're an idiot, therefore you're wrong".

"This person has a history of making dubious and/or false claims, therefore we should be very sceptical about his latest extraordinary and evidence-less claim" ... that's not ad-hominem, that is just common sense.

If you don't employ a bit of that in your life, you'll find yourself in big trouble. There's a lot of conmen out there and reputation rightfully means something.
This is getting away from the main thrust of this thread, outlandish claims about alien visitation. But, I think, they can both be ad homs.

Now people suggest that we couldn't have alien visitation because of the vast distances they'd have to travel, but I say they're forgetting about Nibiru.
I don't agree with your first point but whatever, let's drop that one.

The second one, I won't even pretend I know what you're talking about. I Googled it. Okay, the hypothetical collision between the earth and some other large object. Mkay ... and?

Where are the aliens? Where is the evidence for them? Anything half convincing will do to raise my eyebrows. I want to raise my eyebrows to this. I just can't force myself to do it when thrown scraps. Worse than scraps.

And when I say, "anything half convincing", I don't mean some unconfirmed, unidentified, alleged blips on radar. I don't mean fuzzy, grainy, black and white footage of a blob. Those things are not good evidence of aliens.

They are equal evidence of aliens as they are of Thor throwing lightning balls from the heavens. In other words, not at all.

They're simply evidence of something unknown that almost certainly has an unfortunately unsexy explanation (I'm all for sexy explanations, I would love that, but I won't believe it plausible without good reason).
I dunno, i think providing evidence (well good evidence) stops it being outlandish, don't you?
User avatar
Hellraiser
Posts: 14885
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sarnath in the land of Mnar

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by Hellraiser »

It's an amazing coincidence that the Pentagon is releasing all this stuff just as the B21 Raider is in development and due to enter service in 2026.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 13728
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by Mog The Almighty »

bessantj wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:34 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:12 pm
bessantj wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:40 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:18 pm Ad hominem argument is, "you're an idiot, therefore you're wrong".

"This person has a history of making dubious and/or false claims, therefore we should be very sceptical about his latest extraordinary and evidence-less claim" ... that's not ad-hominem, that is just common sense.

If you don't employ a bit of that in your life, you'll find yourself in big trouble. There's a lot of conmen out there and reputation rightfully means something.
This is getting away from the main thrust of this thread, outlandish claims about alien visitation. But, I think, they can both be ad homs.

Now people suggest that we couldn't have alien visitation because of the vast distances they'd have to travel, but I say they're forgetting about Nibiru.
I don't agree with your first point but whatever, let's drop that one.

The second one, I won't even pretend I know what you're talking about. I Googled it. Okay, the hypothetical collision between the earth and some other large object. Mkay ... and?

Where are the aliens? Where is the evidence for them? Anything half convincing will do to raise my eyebrows. I want to raise my eyebrows to this. I just can't force myself to do it when thrown scraps. Worse than scraps.

And when I say, "anything half convincing", I don't mean some unconfirmed, unidentified, alleged blips on radar. I don't mean fuzzy, grainy, black and white footage of a blob. Those things are not good evidence of aliens.

They are equal evidence of aliens as they are of Thor throwing lightning balls from the heavens. In other words, not at all.

They're simply evidence of something unknown that almost certainly has an unfortunately unsexy explanation (I'm all for sexy explanations, I would love that, but I won't believe it plausible without good reason).
I dunno, i think providing evidence (well good evidence) stops it being outlandish, don't you?
No.

As Carl Sagan says, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence".

It doesn't mean nothing extraordinary exists. It just means you don't believe it likely without good reason.

The fact that we live in universe that is exploding apart at increasing speed and not matter how advanced technology becomes, 96% of it will be forever out of our reach is incredibly outlandish. But there's equally mind-blowing evidence to support that.

(tenuously off topic, but this is a really simple and entertaining video that explains that for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzkD5SeuwzM).
User avatar
bessantj
Posts: 9343
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Location: Newport, Gwent

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by bessantj »

Well I was thinking more outlandish than extraordinary but fine, very serious topic nothing to joke about.
towny
Posts: 22987
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by towny »

Varsity Way wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:16 pm Anyone got any links to some decent UFO footage which could be classed as " at least makes you think" rather than grainy could be anything shite?
Strangely there is none.
towny
Posts: 22987
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by towny »

bessantj wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:02 pm Well I was thinking more outlandish than extraordinary but fine, very serious topic nothing to joke about.
Your ‘jokes’ aren’t funny on this planet.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 13728
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by Mog The Almighty »

bessantj wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:02 pm Well I was thinking more outlandish than extraordinary but fine, very serious topic nothing to joke about.
According to some, the Pentagon are taking our alien visitors seriously.

On the other hand, maybe the lack of critical and scientific thinking is a serious topic in the age of Internet misinformation?

Or maybe it's just all big laugh. I dunno (really).
User avatar
bessantj
Posts: 9343
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Location: Newport, Gwent

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by bessantj »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:20 pm
bessantj wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:02 pm Well I was thinking more outlandish than extraordinary but fine, very serious topic nothing to joke about.
According to some, the Pentagon are taking our alien visitors seriously.

On the other hand, maybe the lack of critical and scientific thinking is a serious topic in the age of Internet misinformation?

Or maybe it's just all big laugh. I dunno (really).
Oh kick off all you want with people seriously engaging with the topic sure, if the UFOs are of extraterrestrial origin then that would be one of if not the greatest discovery in human history. But as you say extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

But in my OP I suggested that the Daros were flying the UFOs from Lemura, now you may not be familiar with the ramblings of Richard Shaver but can you really read that and think I'm posting in good faith?
towny
Posts: 22987
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:44 pm
bessantj wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:34 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:12 pm
bessantj wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:40 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:18 pm Ad hominem argument is, "you're an idiot, therefore you're wrong".

"This person has a history of making dubious and/or false claims, therefore we should be very sceptical about his latest extraordinary and evidence-less claim" ... that's not ad-hominem, that is just common sense.

If you don't employ a bit of that in your life, you'll find yourself in big trouble. There's a lot of conmen out there and reputation rightfully means something.
This is getting away from the main thrust of this thread, outlandish claims about alien visitation. But, I think, they can both be ad homs.

Now people suggest that we couldn't have alien visitation because of the vast distances they'd have to travel, but I say they're forgetting about Nibiru.
I don't agree with your first point but whatever, let's drop that one.

The second one, I won't even pretend I know what you're talking about. I Googled it. Okay, the hypothetical collision between the earth and some other large object. Mkay ... and?

Where are the aliens? Where is the evidence for them? Anything half convincing will do to raise my eyebrows. I want to raise my eyebrows to this. I just can't force myself to do it when thrown scraps. Worse than scraps.

And when I say, "anything half convincing", I don't mean some unconfirmed, unidentified, alleged blips on radar. I don't mean fuzzy, grainy, black and white footage of a blob. Those things are not good evidence of aliens.

They are equal evidence of aliens as they are of Thor throwing lightning balls from the heavens. In other words, not at all.

They're simply evidence of something unknown that almost certainly has an unfortunately unsexy explanation (I'm all for sexy explanations, I would love that, but I won't believe it plausible without good reason).
I dunno, i think providing evidence (well good evidence) stops it being outlandish, don't you?
No.

As Carl Sagan says, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence".

It doesn't mean nothing extraordinary exists. It just means you don't believe it likely without good reason.

The fact that we live in universe that is exploding apart at increasing speed and not matter how advanced technology becomes, 96% of it will be forever out of our reach is incredibly outlandish. But there's equally mind-blowing evidence to support that.

(tenuously off topic, but this is a really simple and entertaining video that explains that for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzkD5SeuwzM).
That’s the best thing I’ve seen on YouTube since Thor’s high school hypetrain.

We should get stuff like that on its own thread.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 13728
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Image
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 13728
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by Mog The Almighty »

towny wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:32 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:44 pm
bessantj wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:34 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:12 pm
bessantj wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:40 pm

This is getting away from the main thrust of this thread, outlandish claims about alien visitation. But, I think, they can both be ad homs.

Now people suggest that we couldn't have alien visitation because of the vast distances they'd have to travel, but I say they're forgetting about Nibiru.
I don't agree with your first point but whatever, let's drop that one.

The second one, I won't even pretend I know what you're talking about. I Googled it. Okay, the hypothetical collision between the earth and some other large object. Mkay ... and?

Where are the aliens? Where is the evidence for them? Anything half convincing will do to raise my eyebrows. I want to raise my eyebrows to this. I just can't force myself to do it when thrown scraps. Worse than scraps.

And when I say, "anything half convincing", I don't mean some unconfirmed, unidentified, alleged blips on radar. I don't mean fuzzy, grainy, black and white footage of a blob. Those things are not good evidence of aliens.

They are equal evidence of aliens as they are of Thor throwing lightning balls from the heavens. In other words, not at all.

They're simply evidence of something unknown that almost certainly has an unfortunately unsexy explanation (I'm all for sexy explanations, I would love that, but I won't believe it plausible without good reason).
I dunno, i think providing evidence (well good evidence) stops it being outlandish, don't you?
No.

As Carl Sagan says, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence".

It doesn't mean nothing extraordinary exists. It just means you don't believe it likely without good reason.

The fact that we live in universe that is exploding apart at increasing speed and not matter how advanced technology becomes, 96% of it will be forever out of our reach is incredibly outlandish. But there's equally mind-blowing evidence to support that.

(tenuously off topic, but this is a really simple and entertaining video that explains that for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzkD5SeuwzM).
That’s the best thing I’ve seen on YouTube since Thor’s high school hypetrain.

We should get stuff like that on its own thread.
The entire channel is excellent.

Another good Internet resource I just discovered is the blog https://waitbutwhy.com/.

It's about a whole host of topics but here is one related to this particular discussion:

https://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html

edit: ^^^ this is actually one of the most brilliant articles I've ever read on the topic.
User avatar
Sefton
Posts: 16743
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by Sefton »

Mog is bossing this thread.
Varsity Way
Posts: 1427
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by Varsity Way »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:17 am
towny wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:32 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:44 pm
bessantj wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:34 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:12 pm
I don't agree with your first point but whatever, let's drop that one.

The second one, I won't even pretend I know what you're talking about. I Googled it. Okay, the hypothetical collision between the earth and some other large object. Mkay ... and?

Where are the aliens? Where is the evidence for them? Anything half convincing will do to raise my eyebrows. I want to raise my eyebrows to this. I just can't force myself to do it when thrown scraps. Worse than scraps.

And when I say, "anything half convincing", I don't mean some unconfirmed, unidentified, alleged blips on radar. I don't mean fuzzy, grainy, black and white footage of a blob. Those things are not good evidence of aliens.

They are equal evidence of aliens as they are of Thor throwing lightning balls from the heavens. In other words, not at all.

They're simply evidence of something unknown that almost certainly has an unfortunately unsexy explanation (I'm all for sexy explanations, I would love that, but I won't believe it plausible without good reason).
I dunno, i think providing evidence (well good evidence) stops it being outlandish, don't you?
No.

As Carl Sagan says, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence".

It doesn't mean nothing extraordinary exists. It just means you don't believe it likely without good reason.

The fact that we live in universe that is exploding apart at increasing speed and not matter how advanced technology becomes, 96% of it will be forever out of our reach is incredibly outlandish. But there's equally mind-blowing evidence to support that.

(tenuously off topic, but this is a really simple and entertaining video that explains that for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzkD5SeuwzM).
That’s the best thing I’ve seen on YouTube since Thor’s high school hypetrain.

We should get stuff like that on its own thread.
The entire channel is excellent.

Another good Internet resource I just discovered is the blog https://waitbutwhy.com/.

It's about a whole host of topics but here is one related to this particular discussion:

https://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html

edit: ^^^ this is actually one of the most brilliant articles I've ever read on the topic.
Head now hurts!
towny
Posts: 22987
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by towny »

Sefton wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:11 am Mog is bossing this thread.
:thumbup:

He’s putting on a clinic.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 13728
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The Lack of Reaction Over Confirmed UFO Sightings

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Um ... well, thanks. But all I did was post some links.

I realize this is off-topic (apart from putting the childish topic of alien space-ships doing acrobatics for the US Navy into perspective) and probably should have it's own thread.

But if posting interesting links counts as bossing the thread and you want to blow your brain to smithereens, try this one:

https://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artifici ... ion-1.html

How does it feel like to be standing here?

Image
I hope you enjoyed normal time, because this is when this topic gets unnormal and scary, and it’s gonna stay that way from here forward. I want to pause here to remind you that every single thing I’m going to say is real—real science and real forecasts of the future from a large array of the most respected thinkers and scientists. Just keep remembering that.

...

It takes decades for the first AI system to reach low-level general intelligence, but it finally happens. A computer is able to understand the world around it as well as a human four-year-old. Suddenly, within an hour of hitting that milestone, the system pumps out the grand theory of physics that unifies general relativity and quantum mechanics, something no human has been able to definitively do. 90 minutes after that, the AI has become an ASI, 170,000 times more intelligent than a human.

Superintelligence of that magnitude is not something we can remotely grasp, any more than a bumblebee can wrap its head around Keynesian Economics. In our world, smart means a 130 IQ and stupid means an 85 IQ—we don’t have a word for an IQ of 12,952.
To put the above in perspective, we're talking "within our lifetime" (for most of us).

And if that's not scary enough, just wait until you read Part 2.
Post Reply