Official 2020 Olympics Thread (being held in 2021)

All things Rugby
blindcider

Re: Official 2020 Olympics Thread (being held in 2021)

Post by blindcider »

eldanielfire wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:09 pm
Salanya wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:01 pm The BBC are some feckers: show all athletics heats and talk about them ad finitem in the studio whilst there is good sport happening.

But when there are finals they show fricking weightlifting. :frown:
The BBC is worse now. They genuinely think people tune in to watch their presented drone on and their hype videos and being obsessed with US big names who give no shits for us.

I complained about the whole thing being taken by Eurosport and the BBC getting a little of it, but I'm being won over. Their commentary is mostly excellent. Watching the horse jumping today basically confirmed it. It was nicely done for a pro-British audience, but without the hype and hyperbole and overly emotional weirdness and over explaining the BBC insists upon.

Eurosport seem to have chosen presenters who are all about the sport, not the personalities and how matey they are behind the scenes. It's good, clear analysis and explanations and still entertaining. You know, what the BBC used to be before every commentators booth became a bloated clique of mates who think they are national treasures.
Eurosport is awesome as long as you don't end up with Carlton Kirby
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

GB women 2-1 up in the Hockey.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Salanya wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:01 pm The BBC are some feckers: show all athletics heats and talk about them ad finitem in the studio whilst there is good sport happening.

Weightlifting finals are the best!!
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

eldanielfire wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:01 pm
Flyin Ryan wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:51 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:32 pm
Flyin Ryan wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:05 pm
I think the reason why is comparing to say another medal-laden sport in track & field, the limit to the size of the Olympics is not the number of medals handed out, it's the number of athletes and hangers-on. in track & field people really only focus on one event. You have a handful that do a couple and then your sprinters also get to do a relay, but by and large they specialize in only one event. In swimming, people routinely do 3 or so. So you have more events but the number of people competing does not increase much.
On that I do actually agree as the flaw in the pro Swimming medals argument.

Perhaps the solution is fewer freestyle distances and a wider spread of other strokes to make the differences more distinct?
I believe "freestyle" is technically anything - you can do whatever stroke you want. It's just that the stroke everyone calls freestyle is the fastest stroke in the pool.

(My sister was a good for her level swimmer and still has all her high school's records, so I know way too much about swimming.)
The stroke is actually front crawl. But yeah it's anything, but you aren't going to win with back or Breaststroke :lol:
Considering how they've realized the dolphin kick after the turn is faster than going straight back up, I wonder if there's a potential cheat there of you just stay underwater the length of the pool, dolphin kicking and front crawling.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Now 2-2.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:12 pm
Flyin Ryan wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:05 pm
I think the reason why is comparing to say another medal-laden sport in track & field, the limit to the size of the Olympics is not the number of medals handed out, it's the number of athletes and hangers-on. in track & field people really only focus on one event. You have a handful that do a couple and then your sprinters also get to do a relay, but by and large they specialize in only one event. In swimming, people routinely do 3 or so. So you have more events but the number of people competing does not increase much.

Perhaps the solution is fewer freestyle distances and a wider spread of other strokes to make the differences more distinct?
I believe "freestyle" is technically anything - you can do whatever stroke you want. It's just that the stroke everyone calls freestyle is the fastest stroke in the pool.

(My sister was a good for her level swimmer and still has all her high school's records, so I know way too much about swimming.)
The stroke is actually front crawl. But yeah it's anything, but you aren't going to win with back or Breaststroke :lol:
Considering how they've realized the dolphin kick after the turn is faster than going straight back up, I wonder if there's a potential cheat there of you just stay underwater the length of the pool, dolphin kicking and front crawling.
isn't there a maximum distance you can stay under water
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

kiap wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:15 pm
Flyin Ryan wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:10 pm
kiap wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:09 pm Sweden 1-0 Australia

46 mins

We wuz robbed first half though.
U.S. women lost to Canada in the other semi on a PK, first time in 25 years or something like that.
Wow.

Right result?
Yep. USA Soccer not exactly a humble team. That will take them down a peg or two. Well done to Canada.
Salanya

Post by Salanya »

LandOTurk wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:12 pm

Whatever does it for you ;)

TBH, I don't mind the weightlifting, good to see some variety of sports.
It's just the nonsensical coverage.
Currently there is the ladies hockey match on both the regular channel and the red button. That's right, the exact same match on 2 channels, and it isn't even for medals yet.

Sadly I don't have Eurosport, though if this continues I will find a way to get it or other coverage options. I would just like some value for my license fee.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:19 pm

Yup.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Salanya wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:21 pm

Currently there is the ladies hockey match on both the regular channel and the red button. That's right, the exact same match on 2 channels, and it isn't even for medals yet.

Sadly I don't have Eurosport, though if this continues I will find a way to get it or other coverage options. I would just like some value for my license fee.
I buy in Eurosport for big events. This month is the Olympics and US Open. Then I cancel. Similar for Now TV and the Lions. It's relatively cheap that way.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

GB-Spain shootout!
The Optimist

Post by The Optimist »

Matildas looked gassed at the end. Credit they took the game to the Swedes, but the Swedes looked the more talented side... just.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

eldanielfire wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:24 pm
Salanya wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:21 pm

I buy in Eurosport for big events. This month is the Olympics and US Open. Then I cancel. Similar for Now TV and the Lions. It's relatively cheap that way.
I posted about weightlifting on another thread (I think).

Soviets in the 70s/80s
Turkey v Greece in the 00s
These Olympics Steiner and Diaz in Tokyo.
Epic stuff.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

The Optimist wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:26 pm Matildas looked gassed at the end. Credit they took the game to the Swedes, but the Swedes looked the more talented side... just.
Fair assessment.

Hockey: GB go ahead on the shootout
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

GB through!

:lol: at the swearing!

Netherlands next. Netherlands look dominate at the moment and smashing everybody, but GB have been on occasions a weirdly bad match-up for them at times.
The Optimist

Post by The Optimist »

Opals hung in there in the tough rounds and then stretched their legs. Good to get a win on the board finally. George and Tolo good replacements for Cambage. Not there yet, but will be soon.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Not in Australia
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

eldanielfire wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:34 pm GB through!

:lol: at the swearing!

Netherlands next. Netherlands look dominate at the moment and smashing everybody, but GB have been on occasions a weirdly bad match-up for them at times.
Last night was the first time I've ever watched hockey... Arg v Ger. They seem WAY gobbier than footballers! :lol:
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Good to see our GB women win the silver in weight lifting. First ever British women to medal in weight lifting :thumbup:
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

Bought Eurosport a few days ago, it's brilliant. Everything is recorded and on demand from all the events
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Hawk97 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:50 pm Bought Eurosport a few days ago, it's brilliant. Everything is recorded and on demand from all the events
It's great. I have to admit.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

eldanielfire wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:51 pm
Hawk97 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:50 pm Bought Eurosport a few days ago, it's brilliant. Everything is recorded and on demand from all the events
It can be dangerous though...I'm going to waste an entire afternoon just watching the whole track cycling session
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:19 pm

Yeah, I saw a video once where a guy just didn't surface for the entire length and deliberately got disqualified as a joke. Won by miles

Here we go, would've broken the WR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vox9KOxC1ZA
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

msp. wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:34 pm
Muttonbirds wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:48 am It's going to be interesting if Laurel Hubbard does win a medal. :lol:
How so?
Male TERFs and other transphobes can breathe easy. What a relief for them.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:31 pm
msp. wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:34 pm
Muttonbirds wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:48 am It's going to be interesting if Laurel Hubbard does win a medal. :lol:
How so?
Male TERFs and other transphobes can breathe easy. What a relief for them.
Indeed.

She chocked.

Misogynists like yourself must be disappointed.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Hawk97 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:55 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:51 pm
It can be dangerous though...I'm going to waste an entire afternoon just watching the whole track cycling session
Heaven you mean ;)
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

blindcider wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:11 pm
Eurosport is awesome as long as you don't end up with Carlton Kirby
I can't disagree. The BBC was awesome though. I suspect a lot of it is I used to watch the various well done streams and avoid the main channel which was easy in the digital multi-steam and multi-tab era. The BBC red-button, multi-steams were superb, better than the patronizing main channel rubbish. Now I do that but with Eurosport.

The worst thing is, the BBCs long term presenters who aren't their big ones are still excellent. I love Hazel Irvine's light touch on their day shows. She provides that balance between enthusiasm and sporting professionalism.

At least they seem to have realised Clare Balding is good when she just presents and isn't trying to be "A character " or attempting to be a comedic/light entertainment host. To many constant auditions for 'The One Show' or 'Question of Sport'. But the BBC still seem intent on endless navel gazing post-mortems and declaring every little minor new statistic "Historic" in some way.

Some one put it best

Mark Labbett
@MarkLabbett
·
Jul 24
Just my personal opinion but there feels like there is an excessive amount of punditry on BBC Olympics especially when so much actual sport available to broadcast
and

Jack
@JDanial16
·
Jul 24
I know it's largely not their fault due to the rights situation but the BBC's olympic coverage is really dreadful. Mostly bad punditry and pointless interviews with people who briefly knew some random GB athlete in 2009.
So yeah Eurosport is good and the BBC could be good but chose not to be.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:39 pm Yeah, I saw a video once where a guy just didn't surface for the entire length and deliberately got disqualified as a joke. Won by miles

Here we go, would've broken the WR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vox9KOxC1ZA
That's hilarious! Hill Taylor TX.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

The Reiko Ioane of these Olympics:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/olympics/ ... 200m-glory

So many sprinters do things like this, celebrating or slowing before the line.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Sonny Blount wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:32 pm The Reiko Ioane of these Olympics:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/olympics/ ... 200m-glory

So many sprinters do things like this, celebrating or slowing before the line.
The worst thing is coasting when you aren't even closed to first. Weird.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Xi Jinping and his gold-meddling flunkies
Peter Hartcher

You’ve probably noticed which country has more Olympic gold medals than any other. China was basking in the glory reflecting from 24 gold medals by Monday, compared with the US with 20 and the third-ranked nation, the host, Japan, with 17. Australia, ranked fourth, had 14.

For some more perspective, China had as many gold medals as the top six European countries – France, Italy, the Netherlands, Germany, the Czech Republic and Switzerland – combined.

But have you noticed which country has revealed itself to be the most insecure and prickly and downright cantankerous during the Games? Also China.

When the Reuters newsagency published a photo of a Chinese weightlifter winning the gold medal for the women’s 49kg category, a Chinese embassy spokesperson issued a stinging complaint. Why? Because, said China’s embassy in Sri Lanka, “white Westerners” had chosen an “ugly” picture of the athlete, Hou Zhihui, as she strained to achieve her title. The Chinese official rebuked Reuters: “Don’t put politics and ideologies above sports, and call yourself an unbiased media organisation. Shameless.”

It turned out that a number of Chinese Communist Party-owned media outlets had published near-identical pictures of Hou during her lift. But in its haste to find offence and lash out, the embassy hadn’t noticed. That’s just one example.

China attacked the US host broadcaster NBC for displaying an “incomplete map” of the country that didn’t include Taiwan or the South China Sea. This “hurt the dignity and feelings of the Chinese people”, according to China’s consul-general in New York.

Chinese officials also castigated CNN for mentioning a Chinese gold medal win and COVID-19 in the same headline. And Chinese officials lashed the Japanese national broadcaster NHK for using the word “Taiwan” for the self-governing island that China claims as its own territory, instead of Beijing’s officially approved “Chinese Taipei”.

Writing in Canada’s National Post, journalist Sabrina Maddeaux remarked: “China has long been sensitive to criticism, but wolf warrior diplomacy has turned the nation into a living incarnation of the Michael Jordan ‘And I took that personally’ meme. Anything that can be perceived as a slight will be taken as one. Minor incidents are treated as existential threats and grave offences.”

So far, these are all Chinese officials’ attacks on foreign media outlets. But for its own citizens who dare differ from the party’s definition of China’s Olympic dignity, the consequences are more severe.

Woe betide the Hong Kong man who stood in a shopping mall watching the broadcast of Edgar Cheung Ka-long winning the gold medal for fencing – and booed when the Chinese national anthem was played. The police examined CCTV footage from the shopping centre, identified the offender and arrested him. He faces up to three years’ jail for “insulting the anthem”.

How should we reconcile China’s impressive athletic dominance of the Games with its officials’ adolescent hypersensitivity to offences, real or imagined? Does Beijing realise how silly it looks?

The paradox of the party’s great power with paranoid characteristics has its origin in the earliest days of modern China, says Peter Martin, author of a new book, China’s Civilian Army: The Making of Wolf Warrior Diplomacy, published by Oxford University Press.

“It’s been a continuous struggle from the founding of the People’s Republic of China to get right its message to the world – a world that’s suspicious of its founding principles,” Martin tells me.

After decades of civil war, foreign occupation, turmoil and revolution, the new republic was shaky and impoverished. Martin writes that the template for the PRC’s diplomacy was set by its first premier and foreign affairs minister, Zhou Enlai, in 1949.

After purging the entire diplomatic corps from the old regime, Zhou assembled China’s newly recruited diplomatic staff of just 170, a miscellany of fresh uni graduates, peasant revolutionaries and local administrators. Most had never been overseas. Zhou told the group: “Armed struggle and diplomatic struggle are similar. Diplomatic personnel are the People’s Liberation Army in civilian clothing.” This sense of a militant vulnerability in a hostile world lives on despite China’s ascendancy.

“We see this huge economy and this increasing military apparatus that’s very formidable; we see something intimidating, but they do feel under attack on all fronts,” explains Martin, a Bloomberg reporter in Washington. “On their human rights record, their industrial policy, on Taiwan, they hear Joe Biden talking about democracy’s competition with authoritarianism as an organising principle. They see all this and they see a world that’s hostile to them.”

But surely many of China’s professional diplomats can see the country more objectively? And surely they can see that their tactics are backfiring badly? One of China’s diplomats recently posted a single emoji as a tweet to convey how China will treat its critics: a raised middle finger. They cannot be serious.

Peter Martin says that, for the individual Chinese diplomat, there is a very human factor at work: “At the individual level they see Xi Jinping’s anti-corruption campaign that has punished 1.5 million officials, they see Xi’s experiment with re-education camps in Xinjiang, they see him abolishing term limits for himself, and they recognise the signs from China’s own history.” In other words, they see Xi for what he is – a ruthless authoritarian bent on absolute power.

“There’s a very strong sense that officials need to prioritise their personal security in the political system. Xi has taken down former Politburo committee members – no one is safe. To protect themselves they know they need to sound like Xi himself, with a much more aggressive international posture. Their behaviour is rooted in fear and ambition.”

So there’s a good reason why China’s diplomats seem oblivious to how obnoxious their tactics appear to the world. It’s not their priority audience. Because, as Martin says, “they are performing primarily for an audience of one.” Xi Jinping.

And he’s not in a conciliatory mood. Xi said in a speech on Friday: “We must persist in strengthening the overall planning of war and make preparations for military struggle.” It demanded the commitment, he said, of the “entire party and entire country”.

Could this be the Olympic spirit with Chinese characteristics?
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

You're obviously just a typical racist Westerner, this is obviously biased reporting, how dare someone consider the independent nation of Taiwan as a nation that is independent from China.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Outrageous Dozy bait! :lol:
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Zakar wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:11 am You're obviously just a typical racist Westerner, this is obviously biased reporting, how dare someone consider the independent nation of Taiwan as a nation that is independent from China.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Fair play to China, they are intelligently targeting events.

A family friend is heavily involved in equestrian, and it has started exploding in China. Partially because of the burgeoning wealthy class, but mostly because the Chinese government is pouring money into it. It's basically a sport that is played by an extremely small minority that you can somewhat pay to win with access to the best horses.

TBF - other nations do the same thing. Australia for example built a replica of the Tokyo BMX arena for our two competitors and brought them into the Australian Institute of Sport, whereas the other top competitors just hit their local skate parks.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Zakar wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:23 am Fair play to China, they are intelligently targeting events.

A family friend is heavily involved in equestrian, and it has started exploding in China. Partially because of the burgeoning wealthy class, but mostly because the Chinese government is pouring money into it. It's basically a sport that is played by an extremely small minority that you can somewhat pay to win with access to the best horses.

TBF - other nations do the same thing. Australia for example built a replica of the Tokyo BMX arena for our two competitors and brought them into the Australian Institute of Sport, whereas the other top competitors just hit their local skate parks.
That's the problem with a lot, if not all professional sports...there's a near linear relationship between how much money your pour in, and how much stuff you win.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:39 am
Zakar wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:23 am Fair play to China, they are intelligently targeting events.

That's the problem with a lot, if not all professional sports...there's a near linear relationship between how much money your pour in, and how much stuff you win.
To an extent. After a certain point the returns become diminishing.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

And population. NZ, Wales, Ireland could not make much of a dent even if you dropped $1b.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Zakar wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:52 am

To an extent. After a certain point the returns become diminishing.
Yes, but the point is, if you are willing to pour in enough, then you can almost start to guarantee medals/trophies etc. (not necessarily in individual competitions, but taken across a range of time and competitions).
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

LandOTurk wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:57 am

And population. NZ, Wales, Ireland could not make much of a dent even if you dropped $1b.
Non-olympic sports is another one.

You can have the top athletes in the world, but if they are playing domestic/non Olympic sports (Cricket, NFL, AFL, League, GAA) or sports with one medal (basketball, soccer, rugby), you're limiting your potential for medals.

The decline in US sprinting and boxing is probably at least partially due to the increase in popularity of American football (which was probably 3rd billing in the US in the 90s, but now is a clear #1).