TT Super Rugby: Chiefs Vs Rebels : MATCH THREAD

All things Rugby
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

TT Super Rugby: Chiefs Vs Rebels : MATCH THREAD

Post by Enzedder »

Chiefs are due to play the Rebels this weekend.

Not here

But here

Now on Sunday 6th June

Teams -
https://www.chiefs.co.nz/images/libresi ... height=380

Chiefs: Kaleb Trask, Shaun Stevenson, Anton Lienert-Brown, Quinn Tupaea, Bailyn Sullivan, Bryn Gatland, Xavier Roe, Luke Jacobson, Lachlan Boshier, Pita Gus Sowakula, Tupou Vaa’i, Josh Lord, Angus Ta’avao, Samisoni Taukei’aho, Reuben O’Neill. Reserves: Bradley Slater, Oliver Norris, Sione Mafileo, Mitch Brown, Zane Kapeli, Brad Weber, Alex Nankivell, Chase Tiatia.

Great to see Roe get a start

Rebels

Rebels: 1. Cameron Orr 2. Jordan Uelese 3. Cabous Eloff 4. Rob Leota 5. Trevor Hosea 6. Michael Wells (VC) 7. Richard Hardwick 8. Isi Naisarani 9. Joe Powell 10. Carter Gordon 11. Marika Koroibete 12. Matt To’omua © 13. Stacey Ili 14. Lachie Anderson 15. George Worth

Reserves: 16. James Hanson 17. Matt Gibbon 18. Rhys Van Nek 19. Ross Haylett-Petty 20. Michael Icely 21. James Tuttle 22. Andrew Kellaway 23. Frank Lomani

Officials - unknown
This weekend's Super Rugby Trans-Tasman clash between the Chiefs and Rebels has been shifted from Saturday to Sunday, amid Melbourne's ongoing COVID-19 lockdown.

Originally intended to be played in Hamilton on Saturday, both teams have been given an extra 24 hours to prepare for the match.

The shift will allow the Rebels time to travel to New Zealand, they are currently in Sydney after a last-minute exit from Victoria to ensure that Sunday's match against the Highlanders could go ahead.

Victoria is currently observing a seven-day lockdown after a COVID-19 outbreak in the community, with a pause on travel from New Zealand. That lockdown is due to end before round four of Super Rugby Trans-Tasman begins on Friday.

"Providing the travel pause lifts on Friday the Rebels will be able to fly to New Zealand on Saturday, but it would be unfair to ask them to travel and play on the same day," Chiefs chief executive Mike Collins says.

"The logical decision was that we push kick-off out 24 hours in the interests of fairness and player welfare and give our team the best opportunity to play at home in front of our loyal members, stakeholders and fans."

New Zealand Rugby, Rugby Australia and SANZAR are also working to put contingencies into place in case the travel pause continues past Friday.
Last edited by Enzedder on Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
jdogscoop

Re: TT Super Rugby: Chiefs Vs Rebels : MATCH THREAD maybe

Post by jdogscoop »

I'd say the smart money sees this game played in Sydney after the lockdown in Victoria gets extended.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

jdogscoop wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:31 am I'd say the smart money sees this game played in Sydney after the lockdown in Victoria gets extended.
Its a Waikato home game and its been moved to Sunday afternoon 3;35pm local @ FMG Stadium.

Also Mckenzie got a 3 week ban today.
Couch

Post by Couch »

Chiefs might as well field a B team. Theyve already broken the Aussie duck. No need to save face now, no DMac to boot. Gatland will be back next year. Chuck some new blood in and start again. Wtf are the playing Messam still?
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

JPNZ wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:28 am
jdogscoop wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:31 am I'd say the smart money sees this game played in Sydney after the lockdown in Victoria gets extended.
Its a Waikato home game and its been moved to Sunday afternoon 3;35pm local @ FMG Stadium.

Also Mckenzie got a 3 week ban today.
The Landers game was meant to be a home game for them too.

If the Rebels are ineligible to travel to NZ then the Chiefs won't have much choice, unless they want to see the game forfeited.
BBB

Post by BBB »

Tigers play on Friday so Leichhardt is free on Sunday again.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

BBB wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:17 am Tigers play on Friday so Leichhardt is free on Sunday again.
:thumbup:

Landers seemed to get used to the place pretty quickly last weekend.
BBB

Post by BBB »

jdogscoop wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:25 am
BBB wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:17 am Tigers play on Friday so Leichhardt is free on Sunday again.

Landers seemed to get used to the place pretty quickly last weekend.
Got a close seat just above ground level on Sunday.

Good change from being 100m away in a massive stadium.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

jdogscoop wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:53 am

If the Rebels are ineligible to travel to NZ then the Chiefs won't have much choice, unless they want to see the game forfeited.
Ahh I thought the Rebs shifted to Sydney to avoid a travel ban, sounds like they cant travel regardless of where they are based..

Odds on the ban being extended by NZ so there is a very good chance this will be in NSW somewhere. Bankwest is free all weekend due to Origin
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

JPNZ wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:52 pm
jdogscoop wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:53 am

Ahh I thought the Rebs shifted to Sydney to avoid a travel ban, sounds like they cant travel regardless of where they are based..

Odds on the ban being extended by NZ so there is a very good chance this will be in NSW somewhere. Bankwest is free all weekend due to Origin
Yeah they were initially confident of being able to go to Sydney and then fly across to Queenstown for the Highlanders game. That confidence was misplaced because they'd been in Melbourne so recently and the NZ Govt presumably wasn't 'avin it.

With the NZ travel ban on Victoria set to continue for at least the period of lockdown, it likely has to be in NSW somewhere as the Rebels still won't have been in NSW long enough.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Leichhardt it is.

New Zealand Rugby (NZR) has confirmed the Gallagher Chiefs v Melbourne Rebels Sky Super Rugby Trans-Tasman match on Sunday, 6 June will be moved from Hamilton to Sydney.
The Round 4 match was originally scheduled to be played at FMG Stadium Waikato, but due to on-going uncertainty around the Rebels ability to travel to New Zealand, the match will instead be played at Leichardt Oval in Sydney.

The match will kick off at 5pm NZT (3pm AEST) on Sunday, 6 June and will be live and exclusive on Sky TV.

NZR, Rugby Australia and Sanzar made the decision to shift the match to Sydney following the extension of the Melbourne COVID-19 lockdown period by the Victorian state government (Wednesday 2 June).

It is the second time the match has had to be shifted after being moved out one day from Saturday to Sunday to give the Rebels the best chance to travel to Hamilton. Although the announcement did not effect the current travel pause between New Zealand and Victoria, it was agreed there was too much uncertainty to continue planning to host the match in Hamilton.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Poor bloody Chiefs cannot get a break after losing a crowd for the first Highlanders game as well. I hope their budgeting skills are top notch
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Enzedder wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:22 pm Poor bloody Chiefs cannot get a break after losing a crowd for the first Highlanders game as well. I hope their budgeting skills are top notch
Though it will be scant consolation for Hamilton-based Chiefs fans who wanted to attend, the game at Leichhardt will essentially be played at a neutral venue. In fact, if anything, it will still be a home game with more Chiefs fans in attendance than Rebels supporters.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

I was sympathising more with the Chiefs management team than the fans.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Chiefs final game is in Sydney (Brookvale) next week as well, so kinda makes sense.
BBB

Post by BBB »

jdogscoop wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:12 pm
Leichhardt it is.

New Zealand Rugby (NZR) has confirmed the Gallagher Chiefs v Melbourne Rebels Sky Super Rugby Trans-Tasman match on Sunday, 6 June will be moved from Hamilton to Sydney.
The Round 4 match was originally scheduled to be played at FMG Stadium Waikato, but due to on-going uncertainty around the Rebels ability to travel to New Zealand, the match will instead be played at Leichardt Oval in Sydney.

The match will kick off at 5pm NZT (3pm AEST) on Sunday, 6 June and will be live and exclusive on Sky TV.

NZR, Rugby Australia and Sanzar made the decision to shift the match to Sydney following the extension of the Melbourne COVID-19 lockdown period by the Victorian state government (Wednesday 2 June).

It is the second time the match has had to be shifted after being moved out one day from Saturday to Sunday to give the Rebels the best chance to travel to Hamilton. Although the announcement did not effect the current travel pause between New Zealand and Victoria, it was agreed there was too much uncertainty to continue planning to host the match in Hamilton.
Good for me but sucks for the Chiefs and their home fans.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

JPNZ wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:03 am Chiefs final game is in Sydney (Brookvale) next week as well, so kinda makes sense.
Nice, will go to that!
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Enzedder wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:03 am I was sympathising more with the Chiefs management team than the fans.
I wonder if there is some kind of profit sharing arrangement. Noting it would still be a lot less than they would have otherwise got.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

jdogscoop wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:23 am
Enzedder wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:03 am I was sympathising more with the Chiefs management team than the fans.
I wonder if there is some kind of profit sharing arrangement. Noting it would still be a lot less than they would have otherwise got.
I cant see another franchise forgoing some of their income to help the Chiefs out.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Who needs money when you have mana?

Apart from the saders obviously, who have to pay their Argentinan mercenery...
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Enzedder wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:36 am
I cant see another franchise forgoing some of their income to help the Chiefs out.
Being played in Sydney, at an NRL ground no less ( x( ) I can't see how the Rebels could lay claim to 100% of the gate takings.

I noticed that last weekend in the Highlanders game, the Landers were treated as the 'home team'. Home team signage, pre-game run out and so forth.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

jdogscoop wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:23 am
Being played in Sydney, at an NRL ground no less ( x( ) I can't see how the Rebels could lay claim to 100% of the gate takings.

I noticed that last weekend in the Highlanders game, the Landers were treated as the 'home team'. Home team signage, pre-game run out and so forth.
More landers fans than rebels fans too :lol:
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Zakar wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:30 am
jdogscoop wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:23 am

More landers fans than rebels fans too :lol:
Yeah I don't expect that to change this weekend when it comes to Chiefs fans vs. Rebels fans either.

Rugby loving expat Landers / Chiefs fans in Sydney > Rugby loving Melburnians in Sydney.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Especially around Brookvale

It's ground zero for Kiwis in Sydney. :thumbup:
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

jdogscoop wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:23 am I noticed that last weekend in the Highlanders game, the Landers were treated as the 'home team'. Home team signage, pre-game run out and so forth.
It was their home fixture, just as this weekend is the Chiefs home game. Even though it ha to be played away, it still counts as their home game, so they should get a fair slice of the gate, SANZAAR should have a contingency in place to compensate teams caught out like this.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

guy smiley wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:01 am
jdogscoop wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:23 am I noticed that last weekend in the Highlanders game, the Landers were treated as the 'home team'. Home team signage, pre-game run out and so forth.
It was their home fixture, just as this weekend is the Chiefs home game. Even though it ha to be played away, it still counts as their home game, so they should get a fair slice of the gate, SANZAAR should have a contingency in place to compensate teams caught out like this.
Makes sense, and is what I assumed to be the case.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

shanky wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:00 am Especially around Brookvale

It's probably the case when the Kiwi teams play here too. :D
shanky

Post by shanky »

jdogscoop wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:04 am

It should be a great turnout. Brooky can squeeze in about 15k at the moment.

I reckon they'll get 10k+ to the game
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

shanky wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:05 am

Looks a good wee ground too. There's not a bad seat at AAMI here either, proving purpose built rectangular fields absolutely kill giant multi-purpose grounds when it comes to the match day experience.
shanky

Post by shanky »

jdogscoop wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:07 am
shanky wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:05 am

Looks a good wee ground too. There's not a bad seat at AAMI here either, proving purpose built rectangular fields absolutely kill giant multi-purpose grounds when it comes to the match day experience.
She's a bit old a crusty, but they sell hot pies and beer and there's a grassy hill for the kids to roll down, so that's all you need.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Zakar wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:01 am
JPNZ wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:03 am Chiefs final game is in Sydney (Brookvale) next week as well, so kinda makes sense.
Nice, will go to that!
Unsuccessfully throttling rampant envy here. I’d go in a flash if it were closer.
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

MungoMan wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:10 am
Nice, will go to that!
Unsuccessfully throttling rampant envy here. I’d go in a flash if it were closer.
Townsville is 400 odd km further from brisvegas the sydney . . . Seems you tell lies like Scomo
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

:?: :uhoh:
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Ogre wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:08 am
Nice, will go to that!
Townsville is 400 odd km further from brisvegas the sydney . . . Seems you tell lies like Scomo
Flying in the direction of the plague? No thanks.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

MungoMan wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:08 pm
Nice, will go to that!
And a fat load of fecking good it did me. I’ve been crook ever since returning and can’t even put it down to too much food and hard likker. :x
Enzedder

Re: TT Super Rugby: Chiefs Vs Rebels : MATCH THREAD

Post by Enzedder »

OP amended with the teams

Chiefs: Kaleb Trask, Shaun Stevenson, Anton Lienert-Brown, Quinn Tupaea, Bailyn Sullivan, Bryn Gatland, Xavier Roe, Luke Jacobson, Lachlan Boshier, Pita Gus Sowakula, Tupou Vaa’i, Josh Lord, Angus Ta’avao, Samisoni Taukei’aho, Reuben O’Neill. Reserves: Bradley Slater, Oliver Norris, Sione Mafileo, Mitch Brown, Zane Kapeli, Brad Weber, Alex Nankivell, Chase Tiatia.

Great to see Roe starting - Gatland - will be interesting to see if there has been any improvement.

Jacobson is the captain
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

MungoMan wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:08 am
MungoMan wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:08 pm

Nice, will go to that!
And a fat load of fecking good it did me. I’ve been crook ever since returning and can’t even put it down to too much food and hard likker. :x
Mrs Mungo Spouse must be happy about it at least :D
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

So this kicks off at 5PM NZ time, right?

Does anyone's friend have a link?
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Kiwias wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:43 am So this kicks off at 5PM NZ time, right?

5pm Sunday NZT.

Tonight's early game is the Landers v Tahs in Dunnos.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

jdogscoop wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:42 am
Kiwias wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:43 am So this kicks off at 5PM NZ time, right?

5pm Sunday NZT.

Tonight's early game is the Landers v Tahs in Dunnos.
A whole day off -- might be a new record for me. Cheers

Now to find a link for the Clan v Tahs match.