Heel :(
wamberal

Re: Gout

Post by wamberal »

Drink more water, cut out salt.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Don't muck around, it will only get worse. Get medicine and then keep taking it. What nobody told me is that you have to keep taking it or it will come back worse that the first instance, after a few years I thought I was on top of it and then got absolutely slammed with a bout in my knee which had me bed-ridden for two weeks. Too painful to use crutches. I limped for months afterwards. Deal with it properly and it's not an issue bar popping a pill a day.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Nasty. Diet control combined with medication.

Good luck 👍
C69

Post by C69 »

Allo Gwenno
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

Flockwitt wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:19 pm Don't muck around, it will only get worse. Get medicine and then keep taking it. What nobody told me is that you have to keep taking it or it will come back worse that the first instance, after a few years I thought I was on top of it and then got absolutely slammed with a bout in my knee which had me bed-ridden for two weeks. Too painful to use crutches. I limped for months afterwards. Deal with it properly and it's not an issue bar popping a pill a day.
What he said - but with 1 important caveat. Some of the medications can seriously cause problems with stomach ulcers. Keep on top of that as well as your gout symptoms (I seem to have to change gout medications every 3 years or so).
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Haven't had an attack since just before Covid. Had some smoked mackerel 2 days ago that must have triggered it. Fuckinell, used to joke about this as a young man. Joke no longer, it does not fudge around.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Flockwitt wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:19 pm Don't muck around, it will only get worse. Get medicine and then keep taking it. What nobody told me is that you have to keep taking it or it will come back worse that the first instance, after a few years I thought I was on top of it and then got absolutely slammed with a bout in my knee which had me bed-ridden for two weeks. Too painful to use crutches. I limped for months afterwards. Deal with it properly and it's not an issue bar popping a pill a day.
In your knee? :shock: x(
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Ek sukkel al jare met dit. Kry by die apteek pille.

https://images.app.goo.gl/oyZbkefXigZiSaAj8

Cut out red meat and biltong

I can just look at a piece of biltong and the gout comes. Usually in my feet.

And usually overnight.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

It's rampant amongs PIs. It's one of the main reasons I've cut down on drinking. I don't have but have seen many of my mates have it and it ain't good.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

No sex for 6 weeks.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I cut my beer intake down as my diet really didn't contain a lot of trigger foods. I had a couple of outbreaks but the worst was in my heel. Literally crying in pain.

I now take allopurinol once a day and haven't had an outbreak in over 2 years.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

I get it about once a year, after overdoing the red meat usually. Can't take allopurinol because it halved my kidney function. When I do get it I find naproxen and paracetamol removes most of the pain. Also I found colchicine works but you have to be careful with that, its toxic in higher doses.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

wamberal wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:15 pm Drink more water, cut out salt.

Increase salt.

Cut downs carbs and sugar.

I eat very high amounts of red meat and my occasional bouts of gout have disappeared.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Thomas wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:09 pm I cut my beer intake down as my diet really didn't contain a lot of trigger foods. I had a couple of outbreaks but the worst was in my heel. Literally crying in pain.

I now take allopurinol once a day and haven't had an outbreak in over 2 years.
Yeah she's in my right heel. Agony. Had 4.5 colchicine but i know they're poisonous in high dosages. Had a rack of Ibuprofen which isn't helping much either. :((
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

sorCrer wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:44 pm
In your knee? :shock: x(
Big toe first. Thought it was a football injury. Then into my ankle and I finally twigged that it was gout and I still fluffed about with it not really getting good advice.

Stay right off beer, wheat beers and stouts are the worse. I drink cider and that's okay pretty much any time. Once you get on top of it and your uric acid's down to normal levels you can have the occasional beer. That's thing, it's not really such an issue once you've got your acid levels back down under control and you're medicating properly. You can still indulge in stuff every now and then, it doesn't have to be a complete life changer.

I take Voltaren for pain relief.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Ask your doctor for prednisone will stop the pain and inflammation within hours. As someone mentioned previously allopurional is a long term solution if your okay with a pill per day.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

JPNZ wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:57 pm Ask your doctor for prednisone will stop the pain and inflammation within hours. As someone mentioned previously allopurional is a long term solution if your okay with a pill per day.
Prednisone gave me heart arrhythmia which went away after about 2 weeks but came back with vengeance a few months later when I had a virus.
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

Gout is a bastard......haven't had a bout for 4 years, but now recognise when it's about to occur, so have a stash of pills ready at all times.

Best advice I got from the doc was.....learn what triggers the onset.....and omit from the diet.

My trigger was shellfish......or fish that has been canned or processed.....sardines, frozen processed surimi type products......crayfish, oysters, mussels etc.

Was hard at first as I was a seafood addict........but toss up between hobbling around with gout or missing something I'd eaten all my life.....wasn't even a decision I had to think about really.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Much better today, although still hobbling. Got the shits from the colchicine though x(
sewa

Post by sewa »

I was bed ridden with it once for two weeks. Too much booze and red meat. Now I eat a lot less red meat and I drink / eat grapefruit which seems to help a lot
sinba556

Post by sinba556 »

Never had it myself, but if recurrent, the key is getting your uric acid low in the long term with meds. Can prevent flares completely. If its a choice of a pill per day vs long term joint destruction? Should be an easy choice
sinba556

Post by sinba556 »

ChipSpike wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:23 pm I get it about once a year, after overdoing the red meat usually. Can't take allopurinol because it halved my kidney function. When I do get it I find naproxen and paracetamol removes most of the pain. Also I found colchicine works but you have to be careful with that, its toxic in higher doses.
Id be careful with Naproxen if your kidney function has halved. Talk to your GP if its okay or not. Also, pretty rare that allopurinol damages the kidneys. Naproxen does though
The Optimist

Post by The Optimist »

Had it several times, lost 12 kg and haven't had it for 14 years. Don't take any medication, but I don't drink much (4 beers a year) and I eat lot's of fruit and veg.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

sinba556 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:30 pm
ChipSpike wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:23 pm I get it about once a year, after overdoing the red meat usually. Can't take allopurinol because it halved my kidney function. When I do get it I find naproxen and paracetamol removes most of the pain. Also I found colchicine works but you have to be careful with that, its toxic in higher doses.
Id be careful with Naproxen if your kidney function has halved. Talk to your GP if its okay or not. Also, pretty rare that allopurinol damages the kidneys. Naproxen does though
I stopped the allopurinol and the readings recovered to normal. I can only get naproxen through my GP, so I'm assuming they read my notes before doing prescribing, big assumption perhaps.
Peteray

Post by Peteray »

Alopurinol works for me... and a little less eating 'bad' foods. Everything in moderation.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

sorCrer wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:08 pm Much better today, although still hobbling. Got the shits from the colchicine though x(
You can go to the dr or sister in the pharmacy to give you a shot. 15 mins and its gone.